Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah I'm a thunder fan so no tears from me;). I hate the Spurs and the Heat I just hate the Heat a little bit more.

I put that out more for old pal, JT. Hope he hasn't been run over by a parking lot tram ...oh, wait ... You have to actually visit WDW for that to happen!

But, yeah, I am a fan of the 2006, 2012 and 2013 champions. Considering all the absurd hate for them (sorta like Lone Ranger), I am likely a bigger fan that I normally would be. But I know a lot of people in that organization, including a few players, so it's nice to know what something like that means to individuals too!

Figments Friend

He most certainly does. It's almost enough to make me head west next month ... Almost .

I did at first take exception to the honor being bestowed on Steve Jobs, Billy Crystal and John Goodman. But then I sorta thought about it more and Pixar wouldn't have been Pixar if not for him (none of the Apple stuff matters here as we are talking about Disney Legends) ... And Billy isn't simply a one-eyed green monster. He created the first openly gay character on TV on ABC's Soap in the 70s and has been a mainstay Oscar host on the network. Goodman also in addition to his Monsters and Princess and Frog voicework was a star on the groundbreaking Roseanne comedy from 1988-97. So, I decided they deserve it too.

Also, good to see it going to folks still breathing. Disney honors too many folks after they're dead.

Agree. I noted this in the currant *Disney Legends* thread going on...about how pleased i am at him receiving the award while he is still around to enjoy it.
Some people have to wait for ages to get the award.

Always a plus when the Honoree gets to enjoy the honor!

:)

Also agree in that i too questioned Crystal and Goodman being added to the list.
Still not really seeing what major influence they have had on the Disney Company over the years.

I still have a hard time seeing how they both fit into the DIsney Legends description.

Tony, Collin, and Glen i am pretty happy about.
All three deserve the honor in my opinion, Tony exspecially.

Taylor

I put that out more for old pal, JT. Hope he hasn't been run over by a parking lot tram ...oh, wait ... You have to actually visit WDW for that to happen!

But, yeah, I am a fan of the 2006, 2012 and 2013 champions. Considering all the absurd hate for them (sorta like Lone Ranger), I am likely a bigger fan that I normally would be. But I know a lot of people in that organization, including a few players, so it's nice to know what something like that means to individuals too!
It was how they came together turning it into a look at me media circus really rubbed me the wrong way. But time conquers all, now I just hate them because they beat the Thunder in the finals last year :).

lazyboy97o

Since I don't know much about podcasts, who actually talks to Tony?
I'm not sure how many of the names you know, but this is the short episode description.
This week the Season Pass visit’s the house of Walt Disney Imagineering genius and new 2013 DISNEY LEGEND, Tony Baxter! Doug Barnes (Owner/Producer of the Season Pass Podcast), Brent Young (Creative Director/President of Super 78), Robert Coker (Owner/Editor of Thrillride.com), Ryan Harmon (President of Zeitgeist), and Sasha Bailyn (Co-Founder/Editor-In-Chief of EntertainmentDesigner.com) sit with Tony to discuss his incredibly themed home, the beginning of his career, passion for Disney, thoughts on the industry, early mentors in WDI, and Disneyland’s evolution, as well as the creative process behind many of his projects including Thunder Mountain Railroad. A must listen for anyone who’s a fan of Disney Parks and/or loves the Themed Entertainment Industry!! Enjoy!

TP2000

He most certainly does. It's almost enough to make me head west next month ... Almost .

Oh, come on out anyway! D23 Expo is worth about 2.5 hours of my time on Saturday afternoon every two years, and I can understand why it's not a big draw for most Disney fans east of Tucson. But SoCal in August is lovely, especially compared to the humid sweatbox of the Midwest and East. And that golden California sun glinting off the Cadillac Range? Priceless.

Although the influx of, ahem, passionate Disney fans for D23 that weekend is a factor to consider. Maybe September instead? :cool:

Figments Friend

Oh, come on out anyway! D23 Expo is worth about 2.5 hours of my time on Saturday afternoon every two years, and I can understand why it's not a big draw for most Disney fans east of Tucson. But SoCal in August is lovely, especially compared to the humid sweatbox of the Midwest and East. And that golden California sun glinting off the Cadillac Range? Priceless.

Although the influx of, ahem, passionate Disney fans for D23 that weekend is a factor to consider. Maybe September instead? :cool:

Yeah...September!
I will be visiting DL then, maybe we can have a Spirited Uprising if he decides to come out!
Always up for meeting fans...

BlueSkyDriveBy

Would you change your mind if I drove down to meet you? We could sucker, uh, invite Eddie for dinner & drinks at Encounter and listen to tales of woe about how they've destroyed his restaurant over the years.

Also, good to see it going to folks still breathing. Disney honors too many folks after they're dead.
Speaking of which... any buzz on when Baxter is getting his Main Street Window?

Truthfully, I was surprised that Tony was in line for the Legends Award this round. I figured Disney would do their typical s-l-o-w walk to the inductee list and wait several years before giving it to him.

But now that Tony will soon be immortalized in Legends Plaza below the Dwarves, I wouldn't be surprised if his Main Street Window is just around the corner.

Silence is always for sale at the right price. ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah...September!
I will be visiting DL then, maybe we can have a Spirited Uprising if he decides to come out!
Always up for meeting fans...

I traditionally spend most of September in LA for Emmy season, but this year I may wind up later so I can also do Halloween events that I am usually back east when they happen. ...and I always enjoy meeting the fans, especially those who wine and dine me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Would you change your mind if I drove down to meet you? We could sucker, uh, invite Eddie for dinner & drinks at Encounter and listen to tales of woe about how they've destroyed his restaurant over the years.

Truthfully, I was surprised that Tony was in line for the Legends Award this round. I figured Disney would do their typical s-l-o-w walk to the inductee list and wait several years before giving it to him.

But now that Tony will soon be immortalized in Legends Plaza below the Dwarves, I wouldn't be surprised if his Main Street Window is just around the corner.

As to the first part, I dunno. I'm afraid if Eddie finds out he's gotten paychecks from my family his head might explode and we really wouldn't want that, at least not before the book is out!:D

And my strong guess is Tony's window date has already been arranged as part of his exit deal.

Cosmic Commando

I think Disney legends has been turned into simply the Disney all-stars

There is a huge difference between simply being the best of your period... Instead of being an influencer, agent of change, trend setter, unque, etc
'Tis true, but I think the same thing happens to all of the sports halls of fame. Probably inevitable that they get watered down eventually.

Figments Friend

I will admit that i was pleasantly surprised when the announcement was made that Tony was receiving the award so soon after retiring.
Usually people have to wait absolute ages it seems to get the honor, and sadly many miss it altogether and receive it after they have passed on.

I'm glad he does not have to wait. Hope he will have a nice spot for it at home among his other treasured keepsakes.

Regarding the window, would he still receive one at Disneyland since he already has one present at DL Paris..?

awoogala

ehh. we are going to Uni for the first time this year....usually we do dsiney, all days 7-8 days. this year, we are doing two uni days. Why? me- Harry Potter. and I will return for the expansion- all the Harry Potter they will give me... kids- alllllll about the simpsons. they are dying to see it, at 8, and 11. Not interested in the rest of Uni...but Simpsons are huge with my kids. Anecdotal evidence, of course.. but we can't be the only ones...

BlueSkyDriveBy

As to the first part, I dunno. I'm afraid if Eddie finds out he's gotten paychecks from my family his head might explode and we really wouldn't want that, at least not before the book is out!:D
:p

And my strong guess is Tony's window date has already been arranged as part of his exit deal.
According to Eddie (over in his thread), Tom Staggs told Tony during his talk at D23 that he's getting a Main Street Window.

Gee... the glacially slow wait times typical for the Legends Award and the MS Window have been considerably shortened for Mr. Baxter. Your reasoning is sound, Spirit. Looks like these were actually hammered out as part of his exit package.

Makes me wonder why Tony would negotiate to receive these so soon after leaving, instead of waiting until next year or the year after, giving him a handy excuse to return like the prodigal son.

It's not like Tony is 95 years old as John Hench was when he passed away. And I doubt Tony has any plans to leave Anaheim and put Baxter Manor on the market. He'll undoubtedly stick around for many years to come.

Just seems odd that he's getting these two honors so quickly when previous recipients had to wait for basically forever.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Odd considering the way Disney usually handles these things. BUT ...let us not forget how little regard Tony had for Bruce and Craig and they for him. And his relationship with John Lasseter had grown a bit frosty as well from what I've been told.

My gut strongly tells me that Tony wanted THESE guys go be around and have their positions when he was being honored and lapping up the fanboi love. Why wait 4-5-6 years to be honored when you are older and you can't enjoy the fact that so many have no choice but to be nice and say nice things to and about you?

Yep, that is it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom