Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
This point is even clearer when you look at the history of IOA attendance.

2009 ... 4,267,000
2010 ... 5,949,000
2011 ... 7,674,000
2012 ... 7,981,000

HP "has sustained those [attendance] gains," as you said, is the chief point. Even at 4% growth for 2012, the total attendance is up 3.7 million from the low of 2009.

And something that hasn't been touched upon nearly enough in the discussions of TEA's numbers is the factor of guest spending.

It's my understanding that the attendance figure is a general barometer of a park's success, but the guest-spending numbers are what the management teams truly care about.

4.0% growth or 15% growth, there's still a lot of Butterbeer and magic wands being sold.

I hate when facts are mixed with big picture logic.
I'd rather talk Tangled toilets myself ....

Rodan75

Having never seen the TEA numbers before, I'm stunned at how low the attendance is at UO. With all of the pixie vs Uni talk here, I was expecting a different picture. Why hasn't Uni been able to draw more folks to IOA? Adding Potter 2.0 isn't going to help USF equalize, but won't tap a new market.

Yes IOA is holding and doing better, but that park has a lot of positives and shouldn't be so low.

ParentsOf4

Having never seen the TEA numbers before, I'm stunned at how low the attendance is at UO. With all of the pixie vs Uni talk here, I was expecting a different picture. Why hasn't Uni been able to draw more folks to IOA? Adding Potter 2.0 isn't going to help USF equalize, but won't tap a new market.

Yes IOA is holding and doing better, but that park has a lot of positives and shouldn't be so low.
Uni's, SeaWorld's, Busch Gardens', etc. numbers are not low; MK's numbers are incredibly high.

No theme park in the world has been able to match the "Disneyland" mold created by Walt Disney over 50 years ago. There's a reason Disney resorts worldwide are anchored by DL clones. The DL model attracts guests like no other and greatly boosts attendance at nearby Disney parks. Swap the locations of USF with DHS, throw in a few Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and USF attendance would skyrocket, DHS attendance would plummet.

MK attendance is well over 17M yet, only a Monorail ride away Epcot is at 11M. DAK and DHS are both under 10M. Considering they have MK nearby drawing guests, it's a rather poor reflection on those 3 theme parks.

Uni will never be able to truly compete with WDW until it has its own MK. Uni (and all other theme parks) will always play second fiddle until they figure out a way to compete with the "magic" created by Walt in 1955.

cheezbat

The only important number from this year was that DL could not surpass the MK. And now it likely never will.

Oh, and Tony Parker is MONEY.

Does that matter? Disneyland is still by far the better of the two parks. If Disneyland had three other gates and twenty-some hotels on property it very likely would have higher numbers than WDW.

They're two different resorts with two very different plots of land...WDW 43 square miles...DL a little over 500 acres. Apples to oranges.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Does that matter? Disneyland is still by far the better of the two parks. If Disneyland had three other gates and twenty-some hotels on property it very likely would have higher numbers than WDW.

They're two different resorts with two very different plots of land...WDW 43 square miles...DL a little over 500 acres. Apples to oranges.

You start your statement by saying it's vastly superior, then end it by saying it's not comparable at all...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Uni's, SeaWorld's, Busch Gardens', etc. numbers are not low; MK's numbers are incredibly high.

No theme park in the world has been able to match the "Disneyland" mold created by Walt Disney over 50 years ago. There's a reason Disney resorts worldwide are anchored by DL clones. The DL model attracts guests like no other and greatly boosts attendance at nearby Disney parks. Swap the locations of USF with DHS, throw in a few Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and USF attendance would skyrocket, DHS attendance would plummet.

MK attendance is well over 17M yet, only a Monorail ride away Epcot is at 11M. DAK and DHS are both under 10M. Considering they have MK nearby drawing guests, it's a rather poor reflection on those 3 theme parks.

Uni will never be able to truly compete with WDW until it has its own MK. Uni (and all other theme parks) will always play second fiddle until they figure out a way to compete with the "magic" created by Walt in 1955.

Just wanted to mention, DisneySea averages about 12-13 million visitors per year...higher than all non-Disneyland style parks

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I started by comparing the parks. Finished by comparing the resorts...seeing as how we all know why more people visit WDW over DLR.

I've been to both parks, and I think MK is the superior park, though I think DLC has a lot that it does better...

But lets review your post.

"Does that matter? Disneyland is still by far the better of the two parks."

Statement of fact. (opinion, really, but you stated it as fact)

"If Disneyland had three other gates and twenty-some hotels on property it very likely would have higher numbers than WDW."

Supposition.

"They're two different resorts with two very different plots of land...WDW 43 square miles...DL a little over 500 acres."

Statement of fact with no supporting details to explain why it's relevant.

"Apples to oranges."

Conclusion, the initial statement of fact carries no validity, as the two objects cannot be compared.

jt04

I started by comparing the parks. Finished by comparing the resorts...seeing as how we all know why more people visit WDW over DLR.

If DL had of surpassed the MK (and I believe that was the hope) we would have never heard the end of it. Not just from Al etc. but it would have been used extensively for marketing. So yes, it matters. You are right it is an apples/oranges comparison but it would have been heavily exploited anyway.

And saying DL is better than the MK is purely a subjective opinion. Not that the MK can't be improved. It needs to be.

cheezbat

If DL had of surpassed the MK (and I believe that was the hope) we would have never heard the end of it. Not just from Al etc. but it would have been used extensively for marketing. So yes, it matters. You are right it is an apples/oranges comparison but it would have been heavily exploited anyway.

And saying DL is better than the MK is purely a subjective opinion. Not that the MK can't be improved. It needs to be.

Ok ok...so it's my opinion that DL is better then MK. But as someone who visits both resorts yearly, I honestly see way more being done right at DL that's not being done at MK...not to mention more rides at DL!
MK is slowly getting back to where it once was...with lots of touching up of places on Main Street and throughout the park. Also a nice refurb on Splash(finally!).
Still, it has a ways to go. I hope by MK's 50th they fix everything up and get something big and exciting in there.
(And open up all those dang 'seasonal' restaurants!)

Figments Friend

Wow....blast from the past seeing this old thing resurrected.

Well great..! Perfect time to inject more *Baxter* into this thread!

Congrats to Tony on making the Disney Legends Honorees list this year.
Really nice to see him on it immediately after his *retirement*.
I seriously hope the folks at the Expo who get to witness the presentation of the awards give the man a good 20+ minute standing ovation.
He deserves it.

:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow....blast from the past seeing this old thing resurrected.

Well great..! Perfect time to inject more *Baxter* into this thread!

Congrats to Tony on making the Disney Legends Honorees list this year.
Really nice to see him on it immediately after his *retirement*.
I seriously hope the folks at the Expo who get to witness the presentation of the awards give the man a good 20+ minute standing ovation.
He deserves it.

:)

He most certainly does. It's almost enough to make me head west next month ... Almost .

I did at first take exception to the honor being bestowed on Steve Jobs, Billy Crystal and John Goodman. But then I sorta thought about it more and Pixar wouldn't have been Pixar if not for him (none of the Apple stuff matters here as we are talking about Disney Legends) ... And Billy isn't simply a one-eyed green monster. He created the first openly gay character on TV on ABC's Soap in the 70s and has been a mainstay Oscar host on the network. Goodman also in addition to his Monsters and Princess and Frog voicework was a star on the groundbreaking Roseanne comedy from 1988-97. So, I decided they deserve it too.

Also, good to see it going to folks still breathing. Disney honors too many folks after they're dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom