Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

articos

I'd have to check, but I believe that is correct.
Correct. Lisa's based in LA. Chris is Orlando based, underneath Eric. Lisa was with Universal in Orlando for years, until moving to WDI in 2006 or 07.

I'll say that in the midst of the discussion of Tony vs. the current generation: the magic happens when you combine a Lisa with a Michel, or any of the top design/creatives with a top creative producer, and they're given the resources to do the job. Anything less than that and the magic's lacking, no matter how talented the individual person is.

Clever Name

How do you work for people that can't stand you, have no respect for what you've meant to the company and attempt to undermine you at every opportunity, all the while knowing that is the direction the entire company has gone? No respect for the past. No vision for the future.
Some people need to be taught how to be team players.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How do you change the culture?

You get rid of the old boundaries and those that believe in them
You elighten and show how the new system benefits all those involved
You lead by example
You apply it universally (not just where convenient)
You purge those that are toxic to the new culture

Culture is something you plant the seed, and nurture.. but is only true and genuine when people believe and act that way on their own accord. You can't mandate it. You can't fake it.

The biggest issue with culture is hiring and leading by example. All it takes is a few new people in positions to hire others to completely derail and destroy a company culture. Because those that don't, hire those that don't as well. And when you break the 'lead by example' and 'apply it universally' - it becomes a sham and no one actually believes. Then it becomes some empty 'company values' powerpoint that doesn't actually reflect reality.

Goofyernmost

You get rid of the old boundaries and those that believe in them
You elighten and show how the new system benefits all those involved
You lead by example
You apply it universally (not just where convenient)
You purge those that are toxic to the new culture

Culture is something you plant the seed, and nurture.. but is only true and genuine when people believe and act that way on their own accord. You can't mandate it. You can't fake it.

The biggest issue with culture is hiring and leading by example. All it takes is a few new people in positions to hire others to completely derail and destroy a company culture. Because those that don't, hire those that don't as well. And when you break the 'lead by example' and 'apply it universally' - it becomes a sham and no one actually believes. Then it becomes some empty 'company values' powerpoint that doesn't actually reflect reality.
But isn't that what they are doing now just not in a way that we think is the right way? It's like the US Government going into Cuba right after Fidel took power and trying to stir up a revolution to oust him. Wasn't a revolution what just happened that got him in power? Such is the case with the current Disney. They are making money hand over fist, how do you convince anyone that what they are doing is wrong? Who do you have to approach and how would one approach them. Seems like it will be hopeless until things start to crumble and fall.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But isn't that what they are doing now just not in a way that we think is the right way?

How you implement culture change (the steps) is not really different for a change for 'good' or 'bad'. But a bad culture typically doesn't include accountability or transparency.. so the bad stuff just gets buried and if you fight it, you get purged. So to your comment, yes, there are similarities in the steps, but the execution and results are very very different.. mainly because the principles you are pushing are themselves so different.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Exactly ... how many guests AND cast don't even realize Walt Disney was a REAL man? He's been dead longer than most people here have been alive.

And today's media giant that bear's his name has almost nothing in common with what he started.

Also, just a note, but I'll be taking a few of the subjects here and starting a new thread(s) since @wdwmagic has said this is becoming unwieldy and, frankly, wading through posts on what parts of the country have the nicest/nastiest people to get back to real discussion is sorta a waste of time for many of us.

Yeah that was partly my fault. Sorry about that...

tracyandalex

What the EF** you people talking about...We're fast, loud and proud :p . If you live in the NE you better get with the program and hurry the heck up. We don't have time for niceties, there are things that need to be done yesterday.

Honestly...it is a different lifestyle. Whenever I go down south or out west, I'm astonished when a stranger says hello or wishes me a good or "blessed" day. It's not natural and almost feels creepy. We have manners but to a point and we are close knit in our own way. I'm sure it has much to do with the melding of so many cultures and the ease of verbalizing your needs..added with the stress and constant need for urgency.

I would not have it any other way. I find too much pleasantries to be abrasive and kind of forced. The southern/midwest culture is..well..just not for me.

NJ girl here and you said it just right! I've been living in Florida for more than 10 years now and it's still weird for me when strangers say hello and people just stroll along. I really really like where I live but even after all this time I'm still adjusting.

Goofyernmost

How you implement culture change (the steps) is not really different for a change for 'good' or 'bad'. But a bad culture typically doesn't include accountability or transparency.. so the bad stuff just gets buried and if you fight it, you get purged. So to your comment, yes, there are similarities in the steps, but the execution and results are very very different.. mainly because the principles you are pushing are themselves so different.
I agree, but the problem lies in when does it change back. I hate to use this reference, but, it is the one that immediately comes to mind. Hitler changed culture twice. Once on the way up and again when his creation was on the way down. Still, that took a few years, it wasn't something that changed until all got to see just how awful the culture had become. How long will it take to get the culture back in this case. Since we are talking about a huge corporation with many diversifications, can one imagine how long it will take before the downfall needed to make the next change happens?

The people currently in the target to convince that this cultural change is necessary are the member of the Board of Directors. As long as profits are high and bright and shiny perspectus booklets are being passed out they will be an impossible group to convince that the sky is about to fall, especially the Blue Sky!

flynnibus

Premium Member
IMHO - the company is too big to change culture now. The way people reinvent is by leaving and starting over.. or splitting the company up. You can't establish good culture from thousands of miles away - it is a hands on process. Tho ironically.. it's easy to destroy good culture from just about anywhere.

RSoxNo1

MyMagic+ is being sold as "It solves all your vacation problems." That sounds great, just like a "Balanced Budget" sounds great. The devil is in the details. "OK Disney, what are you going to do to solve all my problems?" "OK, OK, well I like that and that. But that seems iffy and I really don't like that at all." Even if 80% of the public likes 80% of the changes, there still are going to be a lot of people turned off by the changes. Even without the headlines, if 10% of the people decide they just don't like MyMagic+ and stay away, that's another business disaster for TWDC.

I'll say it again. NextGen fails only if Disney tries to change too much too quickly. Disney needs to give the public time to warm up to all the changes.

One thing I will say is that the intent behind their new website is ambitious and assuming that aspect of it is successful, it will be a good thing. Disney has had their hand forced by sites like touringplans and allears and wdwmagic to get information out there and the new site does have much of the necessary information. Unfortunately it's still quite buggy, especially when trying to link actual reservations and IDs, and the navigation/organization is fairly weak at this point.

RSoxNo1

I don't think RFID will necessarily scare too many folks off.
An equally big concern...

Dad: Want to go to Disney World.
Kid: Yes!

(Fast-forward a couple months...)
*Dad bangs his head on his desk*

Kid: What's wrong, dad?
Dad: I can't get our ADRs and FP+ days and times to match up! Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this whole MyDisneyMagicExperience+ to work right. How 'bout from now on we just go to Universal instead? It's much less complicated.
Kid: Cool. I'd rather ride Potter than Mermaid any day!
I've already had this problem syncing my dining reservations with the app. I wasn't able to do it, WDW Dine wasn't able to do it and the Disney Website Tech support people weren't able to do it.

PhotoDave219

I've already had this problem syncing my dining reservations with the app. I wasn't able to do it, WDW Dine wasn't able to do it and the Disney Website Tech support people weren't able to do it.

I took a survey on the app last week. Ripped it to shreds on many, many points.

Rasvar

I had problem with synching until the last update. That part finally seemed to start working on a regular basis last weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom