Spirit of Aloha show.. worth it?

LMSB

Original Poster
My husband & I are heading down Oct 26 - Nov 2 for a late honeymoon:D My mom suggested we make reservations for the Spirit of Aloha luau at Polynesian (we never got the chance to see it as kids) and was wondering if it was worth going to see? Is dinner included in the pricing? Would just like some feedback.. TY in advance!

JTT

No, please don't go. In my opinion the Spirit of Aloha is an awful show that lasts way too long and the food is bad.

If you want a classic Disney dinner show go to the Hoop Dee Doo Review.

If you and your husband have some extra cash to spend on a meal, go the California Grill on top of the Contemporary.

LMSB

Original Poster
No, please don't go. In my opinion the Spirit of Aloha is an awful show that lasts way too long and the food is bad.

If you and your husband have some extra cash to spend on a meal, go the California Grill on top of the Contemporary.

Thank you for the forewarning! Also ty for a restaurant recommendation at CR.. originally had dinner res at Chef Mickey's which I cancelled because my sister warned me that it's geared more towards kids interacting with the characters. California Grill sounds nice. I also wanted to just walk around the resort itself, have only been in when passing through on the monorail

Megbutnotmegan

'Ohana is a much better option at the Polynesian. We did the Spirit of Aloha and weren't impressed at all but the next year we did 'Ohana and it's now one of our must dos on every trip.

zurgandfriend

We did it once as it our Disney "bucket list” however I would not go out of my way to do it again. The food was okay but not great and we found the show too long. I would recommend Hoop de Doo or a signature restaurant over the luau.

LMSB

Original Poster
Having a hard time finding reservations for Ohana.. the only dinner time available throughout our entire 7 day trip was at 9:15 :( Hubs & I eat EARLY.. usually no later than 5:30. We're 30 & 40, and enjoy the early bird special- ha! Got one at California Grill in the Contemporary though

JTT

Having a hard time finding reservations for Ohana.. the only dinner time available throughout our entire 7 day trip was at 9:15 :( Hubs & I eat EARLY.. usually no later than 5:30. We're 30 & 40, and enjoy the early bird special- ha! Got one at California Grill in the Contemporary though
Keep trying with Ohana, there's always cancellations. California Grill is a great second option.

JohnD

How long? An option for 5:15 opened up for me. (I'm already scheduled for check-in to the HEA Dessert Party at 6:45. I'm guessing too tight. Right?)

JTT

How long? An option for 5:15 opened up for me. (I'm already scheduled for check-in to the HEA Dessert Party at 6:45. I'm guessing too tight. Right?)

Yes, that would be tight but you don't want to skip out on any part of Ohana and have to leave room for the desert party.

You should do Ohana right and walk out completely stuffed. Every part of the meal is wonderful, especially the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding for dessert.

jgj123

Since you've never been, id say it's worth doing once.

Yes, the show is long and a bit hokey, but the Polynesian dance portion is very good. The food, while ordinary, isn't bad. Overall though, it's fun and entertaining.

I've been to the current version of this show several times, but not the ladt 3 or so years/trips.

MimatoMJ

'Ohana is a much better option at the Polynesian. We did the Spirit of Aloha and weren't impressed at all but the next year we did 'Ohana and it's now one of our must dos on every trip.
Ohana is hands down the better option! It was even my grandson's first choice for dinner at his "first day as a teenager" Disney visit last year and we had a great meal. And not for nothing, we went to Aulani last month and did the on-property luau there, and the food was awful there, too. My conclusion: Disney is not good at luau's.

JusticeDisney

Spirit of Aloha - No, No, No, No, No!!!
Hoop Dee Doo - Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

And Ohana is horribly overrated IMHO. The whole place feels like it is stuck in the 80s, the food is nothing spectacular, and the last time I was there I saw more flies than I could count.

JohnD

Yes, that would be tight but you don't want to skip out on any part of Ohana and have to leave room for the desert party.

You should do Ohana right and walk out completely stuffed. Every part of the meal is wonderful, especially the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding for dessert.

Thanks. But Ohana is somebody else. Since HEA dessert party is paid in advance, I'll do Aloha show some other time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom