Spirit Airlines vs Southwest Airlines, help please!

DisneyDebNJ

Original Poster
Ok I need some advice here.... We are about to book our airfare for our upcoming trip in October.... here's my question...
We have always flown out of Atlantic City, via Spirit Airlines. Lately we haven't been happy with their policies. We have been mulling around the idea about flying Southwest out of Philadelphia. Can anyone give me their thoughts on Southwest or give us reasons why we should fly out of AC on Spirit? Much appreciate any input.

nepalostparks

I haven't flown either myself, but Southwest definitely has a lot less fees and restrictions than Spirit. Spirit is one of those airlines that is really nickel and diming their customers.

NYwdwfan

This story may help you decide:

Spirit flight from California to Florida takes 19 hours after unruly passenger forces emergency landing

Published July 09, 2012
FoxNews.com

A Spirit Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Florida apparently took nearly 19 hours to reach its destination after it was diverted to Houston due to a disruptive passenger on board. The plane left LAX en route to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday night, but was forced to land in Texas after an 81-year-old blind man began kicking and screaming, Local 10 reports. Spirit spokeswoman Misty Pinson says the unruly passenger refused to abide by instructions from the flight crew, so the pilot diverted the aircraft for the safety of everyone on board. Pinson says authorities at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston removed the disruptive passenger from the plane. The pilot did not press charges, and the man was later released from custody, Local 10 reports. But the remaining passengers were held on the tarmac for hours, and some began yelling and screaming at the flight crew, according to a video. The airline then decided to have passengers board another plane, and the flight arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday evening. Pinson says those passengers will all be refunded.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/09/spirit-airlines-refunds-passengers-after-california-to-florida-flight-takes-1/#ixzz20H0rVrZc

NYwdwfan

To be fair, that wasn't really Spirit's fault, and they did the right thing by giving a refund to all the passengers for the inconvenience.

They did the right thing in the end - but they did leave the passengers on the plane with no air conditioning for hours while they decided thow to handle things. I saw the story on the news where a woman on the plane said they were going to bus them to Dallas to take a flight out the next day and the passengers got angry and demanded a flight from that same airport. I suppose after a public relations nightmare it may be the best time to fly an airline - they will be going out of their way to be sure they are not on the news for the wrong reasons anytime soon!

Pooh Lover

We have had nothing but wonderful experiences with Southwest, especially flying into and out of MCO and we really appreciate that the first two bags are free. We always purchase the Early Bird add-on at $10 per person, each way and will usually be in the first 10 people to board since there are no assigned seats.

MITCH 112198

We have Spirit about 15 min. from the house, but with the luggage fees , It is cheaper for a family of 4 to go 45 min. to the next airport and fly Southwest for free luggage and still pay for parking and still be ahead.

I love Southwest and also the early bird add on .

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I fly swa all the time. If you are ok with open seating (non reserved seat) then go for it. I highly recomend buying the early bird option if you are not going to be able to be at your computer exactly 24 hours in advance ready to check in.

Mr. CPA

Another vote from me for Southwest. I haven't had the opportunity to fly Spirit. But, I've never had a bad experience with Southwest, and we have flown with them many times.

The Mom

Premium Member
I fly with SW as much as possible, because of the free bags. Even if you pay for the early bird option (I rarely do, because I'm frequently flying solo) it's still cheaper. I live fairly close to the airport, and can get a ride so no parking fees.

DisneyJoe

I fly Spirit out of ACY because the airport treats me much better than PHL. Due to my handlicap, I always get special screening, the staff at ACY always knows how to handle me properly and efficiently. I have no good words for the staff at PHL. To me it is worth the extra cost for Spirit.

coachwnh

Spirit is charging for CARRY ON luggage now as well. only they and allegiant do. If you bag weighs over 25 lbs, it must be checked and you pay that higher fee. SWA your bags fly free!!!! woo hoo

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Another vote for SWA. Free bags and efficient. Also, a friendly staff.

I don't hate Spirit, but I only use them when I'm popping in for a couple of days and can fit all of my belongings into a backpack, so it's classified as a personal item. Also, when I'm traveling alone, I don't care about where my seat is, so I don't pay that fee, and I let them assign me a seat when I check in. Anytime I have bags or am traveling with others, Spirit becomes more trouble than it's worth. Also, for whatever reason, Spirit seems to have the crankiest staff EVER. From the gate agents to the flight attendants. All of them look miserable.

All of this being said, my preferred carrier (and the one I use 90% of the time) is Jet Blue.

DisneyDebNJ

Original Poster
Thank you all, for your input. We booked SWA and per your suggestions, opted for the early bird option. (Thank you Pooh!!!) I have to agree with Nick A too. Spirit employees really do seem to have that *woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed* attitude. I was pleasantly surprised, when I called SWA for some questions and concerns, and I actually understood the agent. We also did some number crunching, and SWA was actually cheaper than Spirit! (SWA also had a *web only* special, which was HUNDREDS cheaper than Spirit). NOW I'm excited!!! All we have to do now, is GET THERE!!! Happy Traveling all!!!!!

Kristia

I saw you already booked but I am another who has switched from Spirit to SWA. I live close to the AC airport and used to love the convenience of flying out of AC. Spirit has become horrible with their customer service and charging outrageous fees for everything. Now if your bag weighs over 40 lbs they charge as an overweight bag whereas most airlines start overweight charges over 50 lbs. I had a problem with adding a carryon on their website and it deleted one of my bags and wanted to charge me again for it when I tried to put it back on. I had to call and they basically said it was my fault there was nothing they could do. Call center is also in India.

We flew SWA for the first time last November out of Philly. We paid for the early bird checkin and it was great. Will fly them from now on. It was great when we left the resort to head home also. Since they are a participating Resort Check In airline, we were given our boarding passes, turned in our luggage and were able to go right to security when we arrived at the airport. So convenient!

DisneyDebNJ

Original Poster
I saw you already booked but I am another who has switched from Spirit to SWA. I live close to the AC airport and used to love the convenience of flying out of AC. Spirit has become horrible with their customer service and charging outrageous fees for everything. Now if your bag weighs over 40 lbs they charge as an overweight bag whereas most airlines start overweight charges over 50 lbs. I had a problem with adding a carryon on their website and it deleted one of my bags and wanted to charge me again for it when I tried to put it back on. I had to call and they basically said it was my fault there was nothing they could do. Call center is also in India.

We flew SWA for the first time last November out of Philly. We paid for the early bird checkin and it was great. Will fly them from now on. It was great when we left the resort to head home also. Since they are a participating Resort Check In airline, we were given our boarding passes, turned in our luggage and were able to go right to security when we arrived at the airport. So convenient!
I live 6 miles from ACY and just tolerated Spirit until recently. I sure wish Southwest would consider going to ACY after the expansion. Spirit has you by the suitcase, there aren't any choices anymore. I am not a fan of flying to begin with, but am actually looking forward to flying Southwest :)

Kristia

I live 6 miles from ACY and just tolerated Spirit until recently. I sure wish Southwest would consider going to ACY after the expansion. Spirit has you by the suitcase, there aren't any choices anymore. I am not a fan of flying to begin with, but am actually looking forward to flying Southwest :)

We live in Sweetwater/Mullica Township so only about 15 min from ACY. It would be soooo awesome if SWA flew into AC! For now it will have to be a trip on the Expressway to Philly. You will love Southwest.

Tony the Tigger

When Spirit runs their $20 specials (including all taxes) from Fort Lauderdale, you can't beat it. We typically go for 2 day trips, so we can fit whatever we need into what they consider our "personal bags" (backpacks) and it's way cheaper than driving. Haven't seen this in a little while, but used it several times. We actually took advantage of a special years ago where they had Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles for $11 each way (plus taxes/fees.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom