Spirit Airlines- can we do one suitcase for a family of 4

Ember

Original Poster
We are flying Spirit this time because it saved us a bunch of money over going out of Philly. But they really do like to nickel and dime you for all the extras. I only purchased one suitcase for the trip and figured we could pack the rest into backpacks, one for each of us because they are considered a free item. Has anyone flown Spirit before and if so, do you think it's realistic for us to fit stuff for a week at Disney into one suitcase that weighs under 40lbs and four small backpacks? Or should I just suck it up and purchase another suitcase?

Weather_Lady

We are flying Spirit this time because it saved us a bunch of money over going out of Philly. But they really do like to nickel and dime you for all the extras. I only purchased one suitcase for the trip and figured we could pack the rest into backpacks, one for each of us because they are considered a free item. Has anyone flown Spirit before and if so, do you think it's realistic for us to fit stuff for a week at Disney into one suitcase that weighs under 40lbs and four small backpacks? Or should I just suck it up and purchase another suitcase?

I think it's do-able, but only if:

1 - You're traveling during a warm time of year and packing only shorts/T-shirts/swimsuits/sandals/PJs, etc. (You can wear any bulkier or cooler-weather items on the plane instead of packing them.)
2 - If necessary, you pack only half as much clothing as you need, and launder it halfway through the trip.
3 - You're keeping toiletries, make-up, etc. to the minimum. (I recently watched an online tutorial about "how to pack" by a "Disney expert" who had brought not only her own hairdryer from home, but a pedicure footspa, an electronic "buffer" for her face, hair curling and straightening irons, a set of hot rollers and two huge hard-sided cases of makeup and nail polish!!! I was aghast. All of my toiletries, makeup and hair "stuff" fits easily into a 6" x 3" x 3" pouch.)
4 - You make a packing list ahead of time and stick to it religiously. The packing list should incorporate as many "double-duty" items as possible. (e.g., DH and I share one sample-sized can of shaving cream for his face and my legs. I pack body lotion that contains sunscreen so I don't need to bring a separate bottle. I pack a single sundress that is both my swimsuit cover-up and my "nice dinner outfit." We bring only one pair of sandals apiece and wear our sneakers to travel. We bring and wear only one outfit per person per day. We don't bring anything that the hotel is already providing -- shampoo, soap, towels, hairdryer, etc.)

Using these guidelines, we've packed enough clothing/toiletries for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) for a 5-night stay into 2 21" carryon bags (we rolled our clothing instead of folding it and placed it in packing cubes to organize it, but we used no compression bags or anything), and that was with packing 5 outfits per person and not planning to do laundry. If we'd packed enough for just 2-3 days, we could have fit it all into 1 carryon. We used our "personal item" backpacks for electronics and chargers, phones, purse/wallet, sunglasses and hats, a couple of boxes of granola bars for breakfasts, and "care packages" of activity books and headphones to keep the kids busy on the plane. (If you're checking a bag, put one outfit/toiletries/prescription meds, etc. for each person in the backpacks so you're not left in the lurch if your checked bag goes missing or is not delivered to you promptly.)

You don't specify the size of your suitcase, but since you're concerned about fitting everything in there, a "trial run" is a good idea. Lay out the amount of clothing and sundries you think you'll be taking and try to pack the bag. (While you're at it, weigh it.) To maximize your use of the space within the bag, I suggest rolling your clothing instead of folding it. If there's just no way to get it all in, if paring down your packing list is too stressful, or if your bag is overweight (or borderline overweight), go ahead and invest in another suitcase. Otherwise, pack light and pack smart and you should be fine! :)

Last edited:
You didn't mention how long you were going for, however I think 2/suitcase would be difficult at 40 pounds, never mind 4. Maybe you can plan to do a load of laundry midway, not what you want to be doing on vacation. This doesn't apply here, but we always plan one suitcase short and put a large empty nylon duffle bag in one of the suitcases for the way home. We either use it for everyone's dirty laundry or souvenirs like all the stuffed animals won at the Boardwalk and Dino Land to bring home and throw in the trash. I would do a dry run with a scale and if you can pull it off report back and I will make multiple copies for my whole family to study!

Everyone probably has a bad airline experience, however the one and only time I booked Spirit was for a non Disney long weekend to Florida, April 1st, 2011. It was 2 months prior and Southwest and Jet Blue were booked. Anyway I got a voicemail from Spirit at 2pm on the Friday afternoon of the trip that our flight at 6pm was cancelled. I called customer service(another country) and the options were a refund or a Spirit flight Saturday night to arrive in Florida at midnight. That's it. Under their policy they had no obligation to book us on another airline. Imagine picking your kids up from school on April Fool's Day to go directly to the airport and trying to convince them the flight got cancelled! The "Ha Ha Dad!" eventually turned to tears! My wife and I had a jamb session on separate computers looking for other flights as everyone else who got screwed was doing the same thing. It cost us a lot extra, but we found a 9pm Jet Blue flight and salvaged the weekend. Coincidently the flight home on Jet Blue got delayed 4 hours. Never, Never, Never, Never will I even look at Spirit again. With that said, my accountant grabs the cheap seats and flies spirit all the time.

rob0519

Suck it up and pay for another suitcase. What if your scale is slightly different than the one at the airport and suddenly your 2 lbs. over at check in? What if you buy a few things at WDW and the one suitcase is now a few lbs. over on the way home? In my opinion, that kind of stress isn't worth the extra $50 bucks or whatever the suitcase will cost, but in the end, it's up to you.

Ember

Original Poster
So I did a trial run (with my 4yr old staring at me like I'm a crazy person) and I managed to get three days worth of clothes, shoes, and swim stuff in a suitcase that weighs 37lbs. @Captainvideo - the trick is to roll,roll, and roll the clothes some more. And I also pack the boys' clothes in ziplock bags. I was so proud of myself, but then I realized that I did not include any toiletries :( I have to bring my own shampoo/conditioner because my hair hates chlorine and the conditioner at the hotel does nothing to remedy that. So I then packed a trial toiletry bag with just the essentials and it brought the bag up to 41. Grrr. Looks like I am just going to suck it up and get another bag. If you go even 1 pound over they will charge you $25 at the gate which is more than the initial cost. That brings our total extra charges for seats and bags to $200 for the round trip. Still saving a little from flying out of Philly, hope it's a good experience and not one like Captain's. One day I vow to travel with just one bag!

Ember

Original Poster
You didn't mention how long you were going for. 7 nights, 8 days :)

Everyone probably has a bad airline experience, however the one and only time I booked Spirit was for a non Disney long weekend to Florida, April 1st, 2011. It was 2 months prior and Southwest and Jet Blue were booked. Anyway I got a voicemail from Spirit at 2pm on the Friday afternoon of the trip that our flight at 6pm was cancelled. I called customer service(another country) and the options were a refund or a Spirit flight Saturday night to arrive in Florida at midnight. That's it. Under their policy they had no obligation to book us on another airline. Imagine picking your kids up from school on April Fool's Day to go directly to the airport and trying to convince them the flight got cancelled! The "Ha Ha Dad!" eventually turned to tears! My wife and I had a jamb session on separate computers looking for other flights as everyone else who got screwed was doing the same thing. It cost us a lot extra, but we found a 9pm Jet Blue flight and salvaged the weekend. Coincidently the flight home on Jet Blue got delayed 4 hours. Never, Never, Never, Never will I even look at Spirit again. With that said, my accountant grabs the cheap seats and flies spirit all the time.
I'm sorry that you had such a crappy experience with them. Fingers crossed that ours goes smoothly.

Weather_Lady

So I did a trial run (with my 4yr old staring at me like I'm a crazy person) and I managed to get three days worth of clothes, shoes, and swim stuff in a suitcase that weighs 37lbs. @Captainvideo - the trick is to roll,roll, and roll the clothes some more. And I also pack the boys' clothes in ziplock bags. I was so proud of myself, but then I realized that I did not include any toiletries :( I have to bring my own shampoo/conditioner because my hair hates chlorine and the conditioner at the hotel does nothing to remedy that. So I then packed a trial toiletry bag with just the essentials and it brought the bag up to 41. Grrr. Looks like I am just going to suck it up and get another bag. If you go even 1 pound over they will charge you $25 at the gate which is more than the initial cost. That brings our total extra charges for seats and bags to $200 for the round trip. Still saving a little from flying out of Philly, hope it's a good experience and not one like Captain's. One day I vow to travel with just one bag!

It stinks that you have to buy (and pay to fly with) another bag, but it will certainly give you some peace of mind knowing you don't have to cram everything and worry about space/weight requirements. Plus, the second bag will give you some extra room, which you'll be glad to have for souvenirs on the return trip.

Ember

Original Poster
It stinks that you have to buy (and pay to fly with) another bag, but it will certainly give you some peace of mind knowing you don't have to cram everything and worry about space/weight requirements. Plus, the second bag will give you some extra room, which you'll be glad to have for souvenirs on the return trip.
Yep and now I can bring snacks/breakfast foods down in the second suitcase and then it will be pretty much empty for souvenirs and whatnot for the ride home. I don't know why it irks me, the rational part of my brain knows that they have cheaper flights for this very reason, but it still really gets under my skin that I have to pay to have two bags and that carry-ons are more expensive than checked bags!! Next time we will go back to Southwest.

the trick is to roll,roll, and roll the clothes some more. And I also pack the boys' clothes in ziplock bags. I was so proud of myself, but then I realized that I did not include any toiletries :( I have to bring my own shampoo/conditioner because my hair hates chlorine and the conditioner at the hotel does nothing to remedy that. So I then packed a trial toiletry bag with just the essentials and it brought the bag up to 41. Grrr. Looks like I am just going to suck it up and get another bag. If you go even 1 pound over they will charge you $25 at the gate which is more than the initial cost. That brings our total extra charges for seats and bags to $200 for the round trip. Still saving a little from flying out of Philly, hope it's a good experience and not one like Captain's. One day I vow to travel with just one bag!
Funny you mention rolling your clothes. My wife swears by rolling the clothes. It's something she was taught by her mother and even though I disagree with the method, since I share a suitcase with her you know I certainly pack my clothes her way. Why start vacation with an argument?
Now that I know how many days you're going for I'm still amazed you will pull it off with 2 suitcases. Even that second suitcase will eventually weigh 39.95 pounds going down! I'm even more impressed at your practice run knowing your trip isn't until May!

Ember

Original Poster
I'm even more impressed at your practice run knowing your trip isn't until May!
I'm on spring break lol! If I didn't do it this week then I wouldn't have a chance for a trial run until four days before our trip. Plus it's snowy and gross here today so breaking out the sundresses and swim stuff made me happy :)

Weather_Lady

Funny you mention rolling your clothes. My wife swears by rolling the clothes. It's something she was taught by her mother and even though I disagree with the method, since I share a suitcase with her you know I certainly pack my clothes her way. Why start vacation with an argument?
Now that I know how many days you're going for I'm still amazed you will pull it off with 2 suitcases. Even that second suitcase will eventually weigh 39.95 pounds going down! I'm even more impressed at your practice run knowing your trip isn't until May!

I roll them, too! If you do it right, your clothes end up less wrinkled than with folding, and rolled items fit into rectangular packing cubes (my preferred packing accessory) like a dream. For my kids, I roll each of their outfits together (socks and undies in the middle, then shorts, with the T-shirt on the outside) and put their "outfit rolls" in their own dedicated packing cube. I can unpack their clothes in seconds (unzipping each of their packing cubes and placing them in a dresser drawer), and the kids can "find" an entire outfit in the morning without assistance, which gives me an additional 30 seconds to sit down somewhere sipping coffee. It's a blessed 30 seconds, I tell ya! :)

Last edited:

Pghdrumr

My fAMILY OF FOUR does it every time. We have the kids pack their book bags with stuff (free to bring on plane). Spirit has been a great experience, as long as you follow their policies. Checkin 24 hours ahead, and print your own boarding pass at the airport kiosk machine. Its easy to save money as long as you know the policies.

Mouse_Trap

That is hilarious!!
Isn't it just.
I love this bit:
"The Rufus Roo has four large, deep pockets, and two smaller ones, which were enough to get a Scotsman’s entire wedding gear inside, including kilt and shoes....."

or this.....
"To get the most out of the Rufus Roo, the makers recommend buying a large size."

The video is also hilarious

rt06

I hate Spirit (one and done customer, and I mean ONE WAY). I hate them so much that not only do I not want to ever give them another penny, I don't want YOU to give them another penny.

If it really comes down to just toiletries, get a USPS flat rate or regional flat rate box (free through USPS) and ship to your hotel. Shouldn't be more than $6. You're not going to want to ship anything back, but anyone that displays your diligence will figure out how to make that work.

Either you're not crazy, or we both are.

Receiving Mail
Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels can receive mail during their stay. Occasionally, some Guests choose to ship items in advance of their vacation to help save luggage space.

If you intend to receive mail during your vacation, be sure the receiving letter or package:

• Includes the mailing address of the Disney Resort Hotel
  • Clearly features the word “Guest” on the front and the date of the recipient’s arrival at the hotel

BigTxEars

Isn't it just.
I love this bit:
"The Rufus Roo has four large, deep pockets, and two smaller ones, which were enough to get a Scotsman’s entire wedding gear inside, including kilt and shoes....."

or this.....
"To get the most out of the Rufus Roo, the makers recommend buying a large size."

That is crazy... and looks like it a wee bit uncomfy to boot!

MOXOMUMD

Isn't it just.
I love this bit:

or this.....

That is nuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom