Spice Road Table vs. Restaurant Marrakesh for Illuminations?

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
My husband and I loved seeing Illuminations with the Holiday tag during our trip last December, while at Rose & Crown, and wanted to do the same at one of the other World Showcase Restaurants that offer Illuminations viewing. Which restaurant in Morocco would that be?

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Gotcha. I thought it was Spice Road Table we wanted for the view, but I was having a hard time picturing where each restaurant was. Thank you sir!! :)

correcaminos

Gotcha. I thought it was Spice Road Table we wanted for the view, but I was having a hard time picturing where each restaurant was. Thank you sir!! :)
They are at opposite ends front to back. SRT is along the water, where Marrakesh is tucked all the way back beyond the shops. Not all of SRT would get a view of fireworks though (much like not all of Rose and Crown does not)

I will say we have been disappointed with the food at Marrakech anyway. It seems they have really dumbed down the flavors lately.

Weather_Lady

I will say we have been disappointed with the food at Marrakech anyway. It seems they have really dumbed down the flavors lately.

I concur. Off-topic, but our first (and only) trip to Restaurant Marrakesh last time was a gigantic disappointment. We had a long wait to be seated, slow service, bland, tepid food with dry, stringy meat and overcooked vegetables (other than the mussel appetizer, which was delicious, but the only thing anybody in our adventurous and non-picky party of five enjoyed), bland and stale-tasting desserts, a terrible table location (in a back corner with all views of the live entertainment blocked by pillars, plants and urns), and unpleasant neighbors at the next table (a huge, loud, rude family whose kids climbed all over the tables and up the decorative shutters on the walls, who changed a baby's diaper on the bench seating in the middle of dinner, dropped food, napkins and silverware all over the floor and left them there, barked orders to passing servers like they were their personal servants, and made such a mess of their table that it took five servers to clean it for the next party), we couldn't wait to get out of there. I realize that the family next to us was not the responsibility of Disney, but the other components of the meal -- food, seating and service -- were bad enough that I don't think we'd ever go back.

I would like to try Spice Road Table, though...

belledream

We really enjoyed our meal at SRT. We were surprised, as reviews were sparse and mainly negative. We went the entrée route instead of small plates and ended up scraping our plates! There's both indoor and outdoor seating with views of Showcase Lagoon FYI.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We really enjoyed our meal at SRT. We were surprised, as reviews were sparse and mainly negative. We went the entrée route instead of small plates and ended up scraping our plates! There's both indoor and outdoor seating with views of Showcase Lagoon FYI.

What entree did you select? I'm eating there in a few months for the first time and everything on the menu looks delicious.

correcaminos

I concur. Off-topic, but our first (and only) trip to Restaurant Marrakesh last time was a gigantic disappointment. We had a long wait to be seated, slow service, bland, tepid food with dry, stringy meat and overcooked vegetables (other than the mussel appetizer, which was delicious, but the only thing anybody in our adventurous and non-picky party of five enjoyed), bland and stale-tasting desserts, a terrible table location (in a back corner with all views of the live entertainment blocked by pillars, plants and urns), and unpleasant neighbors at the next table (a huge, loud, rude family whose kids climbed all over the tables and up the decorative shutters on the walls, who changed a baby's diaper on the bench seating in the middle of dinner, dropped food, napkins and silverware all over the floor and left them there, barked orders to passing servers like they were their personal servants, and made such a mess of their table that it took five servers to clean it for the next party), we couldn't wait to get out of there. I realize that the family next to us was not the responsibility of Disney, but the other components of the meal -- food, seating and service -- were bad enough that I don't think we'd ever go back.

I would like to try Spice Road Table, though...
I'll be honest most of our past experiences have been wonderful with service and food. It was a must do for us. Sadly people seem to want bland so the same dished we had in the past were just that. I am hopeful with how Skippers Canteen and Tiffins seem to buck the old trend of blah foods that maybe we'll get our old Marrakesh back.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll be honest most of our past experiences have been wonderful with service and food. It was a must do for us. Sadly people seem to want bland so the same dished we had in the past were just that. I am hopeful with how Skippers Canteen and Tiffins seem to buck the old trend of blah foods that maybe we'll get our old Marrakesh back.

I'm sorry to read they've dumbed down the food in Marrakesh. I love Morroco, one of the reasons being the wonderful smell of those spices as you walk through the shops. I've not eaten at Marrakesh - it was on my bucket list - and now I'm not sure I want to if it's going to be bland food. :(

correcaminos

I'm sorry to read they've dumbed down the food in Marrakesh. I love Morroco, one of the reasons being the wonderful smell of those spices as you walk through the shops. I've not eaten at Marrakesh - it was on my bucket list - and now I'm not sure I want to if it's going to be bland food. :(
We were so sad too. I had been going for years (like a decade regularly) and then the good flavors were gone. I am sure people wanted less spice, but they didn't need to change it. The worst was the desserts. The bastilla was so sweet I couldn't finish it. I do have hope that maybe someday it will go back to being flavorful

We just had lunch today at Spice Road though and that was excellent

dizfan917

MMMMmmmm... I've eaten at Spice Road Table probably three times, always got an assortment of small plates, and it has been consistently delicious! We had a table by the railing on the patio one evening for IllumiNations and it was a WONDERFUL way to see the show. I suppose the pitcher of red sangria didn't hurt, either. Give it a shot!

I am Timmy

MMMMmmmm... I've eaten at Spice Road Table probably three times, always got an assortment of small plates, and it has been consistently delicious! We had a table by the railing on the patio one evening for IllumiNations and it was a WONDERFUL way to see the show. I suppose the pitcher of red sangria didn't hurt, either. Give it a shot!
That sounds perfect! What time do you make a reservation to be able to watch IllumiNations? Did you sit inside or out? Can you request a certain area to see the show? Geez, sorry, after reading your post I'm kind of obsessed! Sure beats standing next to a fence in between bushes for an an hour waiting for it!

correcaminos

That sounds perfect! What time do you make a reservation to be able to watch IllumiNations? Did you sit inside or out? Can you request a certain area to see the show? Geez, sorry, after reading your post I'm kind of obsessed! Sure beats standing next to a fence in between bushes for an an hour waiting for it!
Both inside and out have roofs over head so it's more of if you are in the front or back of the room. We were against the back wall and wouldn't have been able to see a lot of Illuminations but we would've seen some. The nice thing though was we were not rushed out at all - very relaxed and non pushy service there so you could get a slightly earlier dinner there, ask if you can be seated by the water front and just take a while to finish.

As strange as it sounds, we have never seen it really busy there. I don't understand it as the food is top notch. Huge thumbs up from the family as a whole.

I am Timmy

Both inside and out have roofs over head so it's more of if you are in the front or back of the room. We were against the back wall and wouldn't have been able to see a lot of Illuminations but we would've seen some. The nice thing though was we were not rushed out at all - very relaxed and non pushy service there so you could get a slightly earlier dinner there, ask if you can be seated by the water front and just take a while to finish.

As strange as it sounds, we have never seen it really busy there. I don't understand it as the food is top notch. Huge thumbs up from the family as a whole.
Alright, you've talked me into it, I am making a res. there for one of our nights in Epcot to watch llumiNations. I showed my family the menu, they're ready to have a table covered in small plates! I don't know how cold it will be in the evening in Dec., but the outdoor seating area sure is pretty! We'd have to stand outside somewhere anyways. May be I'll order hot tea......

correcaminos

Alright, you've talked me into it, I am making a res. there for one of our nights in Epcot to watch llumiNations. I showed my family the menu, they're ready to have a table covered in small plates! I don't know how cold it will be in the evening in Dec., but the outdoor seating area sure is pretty! We'd have to stand outside somewhere anyways. May be I'll order hot tea......
I had the brie foundue - if you like cheese I highly recommend. We split an entree otherwise for us. The reality was i took over the foundue and barely shared lol

December is hard. Sometimes it's warm and sometimes not. You could always ask to eat indoors by the windows (really big and tall) as well.

dizfan917

We got a 7:50pm reservation for Spice Road Table and sat against the railing facing the water. It was a perfect location to experience IllumiNations, and the food is very tasty (especially those crazy hummus fries). I hope it works out for you! :0)

I am Timmy

We got a 7:50pm reservation for Spice Road Table and sat against the railing facing the water. It was a perfect location to experience IllumiNations, and the food is very tasty (especially those crazy hummus fries). I hope it works out for you! :0)
So, I got a res. for 8:20pm, do you think that will be a good time for the show? Or will all the good tables be filled by then? I got it for Dec. 12th, not sure what time IllumiNations starts that night. Should we ask for a table by the railing? Sooo looking forward to this! We might even do this as a table service, the food looks too good. Thanks for all your help, you are wonderful!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom