Speechless at Disneyland Resort Trip Report

Californian Elitist

Anaheim has Disneyland, that's enough. (Plus a hockey team, a baseball team, and some good dining options downtown)

Knott's Berry Farm is in Buena Park, the next town over from Anaheim. Knott's was America's first theme park; it started as a chicken dinner restaurant and boysenberry stand in the Great Depression.

Mrs. Knott's fried chicken became so famous people would wait for hours to get in, and so Mr. Knott began building funny little "ghost town" vignettes and exhibits to entertain the diners. By the late 1940's Mr. Knott had built an entire ghost town with shops and a stagecoach ride, a burro ride, and a passenger steam train that would travel around the berry farm and be overtaken by masked robbers every 10 minutes.

Knott's Berry Farm 1940's - Judging by the hemlines and hairdos and that '38 Ford, I would guess this was during World War II
ghost_town_1940s.jpg

Walt Disney visited Knott's Berry Farm in the early 1950's as he was researching his own themed amusement park. The Knott family was invited to Disneyland's opening day, July 17th, 1955.

With Disneyland's instant success, Mr. Knott assumed his park would be out of business within a year, but the opposite happened. During the 1950's through the 1980's, as Disneyland became an instant success and household name around the world, Knott's was the de facto "second gate" for Disneyland. Disneyland was closed on Monday/Tuesday until the mid 1980's, and Knott's would be closed on Wednesday/Thursday. It was very routine for Anaheim tourists to spend a couple days at Disneyland, and then on Monday head off and go to Knott's Berry Farm nearby.

Both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm have been open seven days a week for almost 30 years now, coexisting happily.

The Knott family sold the park to Cedar Fair in 1997, and for the most part Cedar Fair has done a good job of adding newer roller coasters while maintaining the 1950's era ghost town and flagship older attractions. Knott's is hard to describe, and is more like Dollywood rather than a Six Flags type corporate theme park. It's no Disneyland, but it's definitely worth a day for anyone who is a fan of theme parks.

Knott's also makes the best boysenberry jam and preserves in existence. Look for them in your grocers jelly aisle and try some.
ProdAdminImage.ashx

Excellent history lesson. Let's not forget those delicious shortbread cookies Knott's makes!

513KwclXyzL.jpg

Figments Friend

It sounds like I could spend a half day at the hotels as well. Like WDW - do they have specialty restaurants?

Yes, very much so !

The Grand Californian has it's famous high scale eatery 'Napa Rose', which is one of the finest dining establishments at DLR in many visitors opinions.
It also has the cozy 'White Water Snacks' and the 'Storyteller's Cafe', as well as the often highly rated 'Hearthstone Lounge'.

Paradise Pier also has a noteworthy restaurant, including 'PCH Grill', which has a nice mix of offerings on it's menu.

The Disneyland Hotel has it's popular character dining at 'Goofy's Kitchen', as well as the more upscale 'Steakhouse 55' and 'Hooks Pointe'.
Most fans know this is the hotel to go to for the fabulous novelty bar that is 'Trader Sams'.
A tiki-themed getaway where drinks and appetizers are full of fun surprises.

PacNWTigger

It sounds like I could spend a half day at the hotels as well. Like WDW - do they have specialty restaurants?

The Grand Californian and Disneyland Resort have better restaurants than Paradise Pier.

Definitely have to visit Trader Sam's at DLR for their UhOa! super yummy!!! Steakhouse 55 is their high end restaurant. I haven't eaten there yet, but the menu looks phenomenal.

GCR has Napa Rose which is spectacular, and I'm just talking about the lounge. I could just spend the afternoon over there in the lobby area with a warm coffee drink in the fall.

Thumper14

View attachment 71231 My one day experience at The Disneyland Resort was spectacular. I am officially converted - there are no comparisons between both coasts. I will say this - WDW is very much so about materialistic consumption and following business models from the moment you stay foot on their property. What I appreciated about DLR is that the business was not in your face. Instead of hovering items at you - they made you want to buy them just because of a genuine smile on their face. Everyone at the entire resort was congenial and cared about me as a guest. That ethic of care at WDW has slowly been eliminated over the years and even I have questioned does the magic really live at WDW still? I can attest - the magic is in full force at DLR and it was truly one of the best disney vacations (well day) I have ever had.

WOW - this was my first trip report!!! And thank you to the WDW veterans forum I would not have been able to have such a enjoyable day without that FAQ.
I have tearing up as I read you wonderful review. I am LOVE DLR! I enjoy WDW, but am still a Disneyland romantic.

Marc Gil

Fantastic Trip Report! This truly reflects my initial reaction and culture shock when I entered Disneyland's gates last year. I myself am a WDW veteran, and I was just completely marveled by Disneyland's simplicity and wondrous charm.

While, I can't say I'm 100% converted yet (WDW is my home), I still feel that Disneyland really captured that feeling of childhood that I haven't felt at WDW for years.

During the restroom portion of your report, I imagined all the bathrooms you passed by in the different lands. Haha.
Thinking the same thing lol.

Last edited:

Marc Gil

Agreed. The saddest thing is that Tomorrowland food has been that way for decades. I distinctly remember having really gross cheeseburgers at Tomorrowland Terrace in the 1980's. They've actually gotten a bit better since then, but are still clearly the weakest link in Disneyland's food chain.
It's the same deal here at WDW. Tomorrowland, well quite frankly the entire Magic Kingdom lacks quality quick service venues.

Disneyland's quick service is remarkably better than MK's. Plaza Inn's Fried Chicken is awesome. I absolutely loved French Market and Rancho Zocalo. Hungry Bear's Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was also very good.

Tomorrowland's quick service looked ghastly. Red Rockett's pasta entrees looked like food made out of Play Doh.

Californian Elitist

Tomorrowland's quick service looked ghastly. Red Rockett's pasta entrees looked like food made out of Play Doh.

And it is ghastly. I'll admit the chicken fusili at Pizza Port is good, but everything else in Tomorrowland? Absolutely terrible. I think playdoh is a great comparison. Good call you made in regards to food during your trip.

DisneyPrincess5

@disney4life2008 awesome TR! It was great to hear your opinions and experiences on DL. DH and I have a hard time flying so getting from Connecticut to CA seems daunting but we really want to go one day. You made it hard to resist. We are literally sitting in our AKL room right now taking a break before Boma dinner and while we are very much enjoying our vacation, the suits and their influence over the present and future of WDW is kind of sad.
Glad you had a great time.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
@disney4life2008 awesome TR! It was great to hear your opinions and experiences on DL. DH and I have a hard time flying so getting from Connecticut to CA seems daunting but we really want to go one day. You made it hard to resist. We are literally sitting in our AKL room right now taking a break before Boma dinner and while we are very much enjoying our vacation, the suits and their influence over the present and future of WDW is kind of sad.
Glad you had a great time.

Are you open to a road trip from CT to CA - granted that is a long time on the road but spread out is not too bad. How was BOMA? I went there for dinner and breakfast and loved it.

DisneyPrincess5

Are you open to a road trip from CT to CA - granted that is a long time on the road but spread out is not too bad. How was BOMA? I went there for dinner and breakfast and loved it.
We have definitely thought about it and maybe that's what we will end of doing and seeing a bunch along the way. It was great! Very Crowded, but great. It's actually quite crowded everywhere here!

teacherlady19

An avid-Road tripper here -- CT to CA is about a 6 day trip if you don't mind 500 mile days (10 hours on the road). That would be I-84 to I-80, to I-76, to I-70, to I-15, and then CA-91 to CA-57 to I-5. Spread out, it could make for a wonderful 3-4 week vacation. My husband and I drove from SoCal to WDW/Orlando, two summers ago, over a period of 7 days (we did a layover near Dallas to see friends). Well worth the drive, IMHO! So it can be done.

Donna

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I was shocked for comparisons between WDW and California as well!! I liked Disneyland a lot better.. But maybe it's just the fact that it was my first time going.. Still, I believe almost every attraction had a bit higher quality than WDW's attractions..

I just returned from WDW and in terms of "ride quality" DLR takes it all. While I would never stand in line for more than 30 minutes for a disney ride - it was well worth a 60 minute wait at DLR. WDW is clean but DLR is spotless. The food in the parks are terrible but DLR I could spend an entire day just eating. It truly was an amazing experience at DLR

TP2000

I was shocked for comparisons between WDW and California as well!! I liked Disneyland a lot better.. But maybe it's just the fact that it was my first time going.. Still, I believe almost every attraction had a bit higher quality than WDW's attractions..

It's not just you. The showmanship levels at WDW have been declining for a decade, while Disneyland's rose quickly around the 50th and have remained high ever since. Now the entire Resort is getting even more new showmanship upgrades for the 60th! (And there are now more rides in Anaheim's two parks than all four of WDW's parks combined, so they can't use "more stuff to fix" as an excuse at WDW.)

The latest example of that concept that started at Disneyland a few years ago is to transition from the old film formats to sparkling new digital HD formats (Tough To Be A Bug, Captain EO, Animation Pavilion, Alice In Wonderland, Soarin', etc.) WDW hasn't begun that process. Audio systems in the Anaheim rides have also received fabulous crystal-clear upgrades lately, while things remain muddy and muffled at WDW.

Then there's animatronics... :eek:

We could go on and on, but it's something that people notice quite easily now. When I visit WDW I always do a Disneyland visit within a day or two of my departure or return, and the differences are extremely glaring when you compare/contrast both properties within days of each other.

Last edited:

TP2000

@disney4life2008 awesome TR! It was great to hear your opinions and experiences on DL. DH and I have a hard time flying so getting from Connecticut to CA seems daunting but we really want to go one day.

Have you considered Amtrak via Sleeper Car service? You would take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then you could take either the Southwest Chief to LA, or the California Zephyr to San Francisco and the Coast Starlight from San Francisco to LA.

amtrak%20routes.jpg

There could be a day or two of sight-seeing in Chicago or San Francisco on either route, to break up the 3 or 4 days of train travel. The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco is NOT to be missed for any Disney fan. And the Coast Starlight route along the ocean from LA to San Francisco is one of the most beautiful train routes in North America.
CoastStarlight.jpg

Or, from Chicago you could take the Empire Builder to Seattle or Portland, then the Coast Starlight down from the Great Pacific Northwest to LA. You'd transfer trains in LA to catch an hourly Surfliner train to the Anaheim station, about a five minute cab ride from Disneyland and its hotel district.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom