Special Vegetarian Requests

bee

Original Poster
Hi all! My GF and I are both vegetarians and both WDW frequenters. Well, less frequent now that we no longer live in Florida but we still have family there so we try to make it to the World when we visit them! WDW is quite accommodating of various dietary restrictions and vegetarianism is no exception to the list of lifestyles their restaurants will accommodate.

In the past we have always researched menus beforehand to figure out where to go for vegetarian options (we like to go places with at least two veg options so we can each get something different and try each other's food). We have not yet ventured into the world of special requests. Soooo, if you have previously dined at a table service restaurant that didn't have vegetarian options on the menu and requested a special meal, please share your experience. What restaurant did you choose? Did you indicate online when you made the reservation that you needed a special meal? Did you wing it when you got to the restaurant? Were the servers and chef accommodating? Was your meal delicious? Any other information?

Alternatively, if you know of restaurants that have a "secret" vegetarian menu please share your experience. For example, we recently dined at La Hacienda de San Angel after learning that they have a separate vegetarian menu with four options. We are planning an upcoming meal at San Angel Inn for the same reason. Are there other restaurants like this?

If you have information on quick service restaurants that may have vegetarian alternatives not listed on the menu please share that also!

Hockey89

Hi all! My GF and I are both vegetarians and both WDW frequenters. Well, less frequent now that we no longer live in Florida but we still have family there so we try to make it to the World when we visit them! WDW is quite accommodating of various dietary restrictions and vegetarianism is no exception to the list of lifestyles their restaurants will accommodate.

In the past we have always researched menus beforehand to figure out where to go for vegetarian options (we like to go places with at least two veg options so we can each get something different and try each other's food). We have not yet ventured into the world of special requests. Soooo, if you have previously dined at a table service restaurant that didn't have vegetarian options on the menu and requested a special meal, please share your experience. What restaurant did you choose? Did you indicate online when you made the reservation that you needed a special meal? Did you wing it when you got to the restaurant? Were the servers and chef accommodating? Was your meal delicious? Any other information?

Alternatively, if you know of restaurants that have a "secret" vegetarian menu please share your experience. For example, we recently dined at La Hacienda de San Angel after learning that they have a separate vegetarian menu with four options. We are planning an upcoming meal at San Angel Inn for the same reason. Are there other restaurants like this?

If you have information on quick service restaurants that may have vegetarian alternatives not listed on the menu please share that also!
Vegetarians are not real people so you don't count ;)

shipley731

Jiko used to have a separate vegetarian menu, but I don't see it on the disney website anymore. The dinner menu looked to have several vegetarian starters and 1 entree. I would be surprised if they didn't have another veggie entree option that's not on the menu. (By the way the carrot soup with Sweet Potatoes, Ginger, Pink Lady Apples, and Black Garlic Ice Cream is awesome. I would just check that it's not made with chicken stock.) I would still give them a try.

My husband & I took some friends to Flying Fish about a year and a half ago. My husband and I are carnivores, but the friends were vegetarians. There were a couple of vegetarian starters on the menu and a lovely veggie "lasagna". There wasn't any pasta in it. It looked awesome & our friend that got it, raved about it. The waitress also offered a bento box type veggie meal that wasn't on the menu. The funny things was that this vegetarian couple - one of them didn't like vegetables. She said she eats a lot of cheese pizza. She ended up with an adult size bowl of Mickey Pasta and red sauce.

I would always ask at the table service restaurants. The ones we frequent seem to do pretty well with handling special requests. One other thing, you might want to find out where Chef TJ is working. (Last I saw was Trail's End, but that was a few months ago.) I've seen some pretty amazing vegetarian / vegan creations that he's done.

Sans Souci

The only place where I have asked for something off of the menu was Flying Fish. You can request the bento box. It my favorite veggie meal at WDW (outside of V&A). It's a plate with four compartments and they fill up three of them with different, seasonal veggie side dishes. The forth one contains their very yummy risotto. It's not a problem to ask and they won't bat an eyelash at the request. I know they have a dedicated vegetarian option, but it is typically pasta, in my experience. I think the bento box is more filling and most likely, the more healthful option.

dreamfinder

Ask to talk to the chef. Have you reservation noted "Dietary". The online system just does "Allergy", but they can do Dietary on the phone, or when you show up to eat. The chef will then come out and talk to you/walk you through the options. V&A will do a totally separate menu for you which is awesome. Some locations like the old Bistro De Paris were pretty pathetic, their veggie option consisted of bringing out 3 sides on a plate. I think BlueZoo offered to do a different veggie flatbread for me as well as plain pasta.

A normal TS location should be able to deliver something good, but a location with limited panty like Hoop De Doo would need the advance notice.

NiarrNDisney

One year asked if there was another option other than what was offered at Liberty Tree Tavern and the Chef made me a kinda Thai noodle bowl with tofu that was awesome!

s&k'smom

We went to 50's last year and they didn't have the veggie burger but I asked anyway, after quite a wait (we didn't mind we love the 50's) they brought me one. At the luau 3 years ago I made a request and they brought me a separate dish of rice and veggies it was huge and I have to tell you the service was amazing, they went out of there way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom