SPAM, Nuisance posters and "Troll Hunting"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi Everyone :)

I want to make a few comments on a few recent trends I have noticed here on the forums, and ways we can help to make the community a better place for our members.

1. SPAM
Recently there has been a number of SPAM incidents, whereby someone has joined with the specific intent of advertising products, scams, ebay items etc. This type of posting is not alloowed on WDWMAGIC, and will be removed as soon as possible. As members, if you see this kind of activity, please use the REPORT TO MODERATOR link by the offending post. Please do not reply to the thread, or make comments to the SPAM poster. Remember these members are not interested in following rules or being members here, they are purely here to sell their product. Replying to the thread helps the SPAMMER by bringing the thread further to the top of the thread list.

2. NUISANCE POSTERS
Several banned members often attempt to resubscribe and continue where they left off prior to where they left off before being banned. If you believe a member is a previously banned members, or is just up to no-good, please use the REPORT TO MODERATOR link by the offending post. Please do not engage in conversation with the member, as again, it just feeds their appetite for attention.

3. TROLL HUNTING
In an effort to help finding potential trouble makers, several members have embarked on so-called "Troll Hunting". Whilst I appreciate the intent of good-natured help, I believe it has been taken a little too far by some of the members. It would be appreciated if we could stop references to Troll Hunting in signatures etc, and to refrain from naming people as trolls in threads. As with all cases, please use the REPORT TO MODERATOR link if you suspect a problem with a member, and leave it at that. The report will be investigated by myself, and action taken as needed.

Thanks for reading, have a great day, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :)

TheOneVader

Yea, I've noticed there have been a lot of trolls lurking the forums recently. If only I could invent a way to stab someone in the face over the internet... I'd be rich :lol:

imagineer boy

Okay steve. I really wonder why the heck there have been so many troll attacks lately. Ever since Jungle Jim started trouble, a whole leigon of trolls have attacked. Well, even though there's no more troll hunting, can I still be a trollologist in troll study?

ACE

imagineer boy,
You just did two of the things steve requested for folks not to do in Topic 3 - Toll Hunting. You named names and haven't corrected your signature yet. If you did this as a joke, I don't think steve is joking. We all need to follow the rules.

Take Care,
ACE

Edit: He did fix the signature. Thanks. :wave:

Legacy

And in association with what ACE said... Figment1986, I think changing the avatar might be a good idea. I think it is better to be safe rather than sorry on this.

I think the term shouldn't show up on public forums anymore. In private discussion (AIM, PMs, Chats)... that's okay. However, the term is a form of flaming and should be avoided from here on out.

PhotoDave219

imagineer boy said:
Okay steve. I really wonder why the heck there have been so many troll attacks lately. Ever since Jungle Jim started trouble, a whole leigon of trolls have attacked. Well, even though there's no more troll hunting, can I still be a trollologist in troll study?
IMO, its an attitude like this that compounds the problem rather than furthers a solution. Rather theyre just as inane as the trollish comments. And frankly i find some of the so-called 'Troll Hunting' to be more annoying and a total waste of bandwidth then the previously banned members returning in the first place.

Over the years ive seen a lotof this kind of foolishness on the Internet. The alledged 'Trolls' merely feed off the responses and replies of posters, to get some sort of rise out of regulars on a forum. (Almost what you seem to be doing with your persistance lately in your overzealous endevours). In short, the only way to get rid of them is to not reply and do as Steve has asked, push the 'Report To Mod' button and let him deal with it.

Figment1986

correct, All you have to do... i push the botton up top that looks like This:
report.gif

(oh and thanks for the red.. i wasn't here on the third.. i left and just changed my avatar once i found it...(and steve never told me directly at all....)

Legacy

Figment1986 said:
correct, All you have to do... i push the botton up top that looks like This:
report.gif

(oh and thanks for the red.. i wasn't here on the third.. i left and just changed my avatar once i found it...(and steve never told me directly at all....)
I assume you are directing that last part to me? If you are I would just like to say that it wasn't me who sent it. Don't know who did.

Jeff

Figment1986

I wasn't directing it toward you.. Only into the General direction of someone negativing me without signing.. and it is better to use that for something else.... a PM would have been better....

Legacy

Figment1986 said:
I wasn't directing it toward you.. Only into the General direction of someone negativing me without signing.. and it is better to use that for something else.... a PM would have been better....
Ah... well then.

Let's cancel out that red with a little bit of green...

ACE

Figment1986 said:

Just so you know, I think I gave red once when this, IMO, stupid rep thing started. If I don't like your post, I'll just tell you or ignore you.

My question is: Why would steve have to tell you "directly"? The post was to everyone, not everyone but you. I just love the way some people here will jump on the bandwagon when steve makes a new rule, but they won't follow it unless told "directly".

For example, the five line signature. Some just ignore it and some use the largest font they can find. But hey steve never told them "directly" so I guess it doesn't apply to them.

Just my thoughts on this. Take care.
:wave: ACE

Figment1986

well... I was online for 5 min.. and i read that post... then left for WDW..... Retuned sunday afternoon.. located my older avatar changed it and found that red mark..(I did ask if i should change my avatar and didn't see a responce form him when i returned, but changed it anyway....)

ACE

Figment1986 said:
well... I was online for 5 min.. and i read that post... then left for WDW..... Retuned sunday afternoon.. located my older avatar changed it and found that red mark..(I did ask if i should change my avatar and didn't see a responce form him when i returned, but changed it anyway....)

Hey if you went to WDW then that's all you need to say. :lol: I wouldn't have wasted my time changing my avatar either. Heck I wouldn't even have checked the boards to start with.

:wave: ACE

imagineer boy

Okay, to whoever gave me those bad rep points, Steve never said that we couldn't use the word troll, he just said don't name trouble makers as trolls in threads. Besides, we'll have to use that word in a thread related to Maelstrom anyway. :rolleyes: Even if he did mean that, it's my bad, just an accident. I wasn't mocking or acting rude to steve. So what if my constant references to Jungle Jim are irratating? I was just saying that after he started trouble, tons of spammers came. Just I thing I wanted to point out.

I still will do my duties as a troll hunter by reporting the posts of any trouble maker and try not to cause trouble myself from now on. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom