Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

montyz81

The true star of the original EPCOT Center and the only remaining one today. If it ever "goes to Nova Cite," so shall I.

Translation: The American Adventure "War Wagon" is one of the most incredible (IMO) engineering achievements Disney has ever accomplished. If it ever get's "a sinkhole" like the ill-fated Horizons, I will not return to "EPCOT."
Sometimes I feel like I know everything to know about Epcot and then this. So, why is there a foundation so deep at American Adventure?

ABQ

Sometimes I feel like I know everything to know about Epcot and then this. So, why is there a foundation so deep at American Adventure?
I assume, having seen the war wagon, that's it is so deep due in part to the massive weight of the war wagon and the fact that is must be kept perfectly plumb and level for it to function properly. It's quite an amazing piece of tech both for its time and today.

Check out this thread for further insight http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/american-adventure-war-wagon.832156/

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@Lee posted some pictures a few years ago.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/american-adventure-war-wagon.832156/#post-4865642

The war wagon is the size an weight of freight train which would require a stout foundation. It was also designed in a time before computers were commonplace and that translated into a lot of brute force engineering which tends to be way on the conservative side.

RobotWolf

There are some really great stories regarding the war wagon and other "Opening Day '81" engineering experiences of Steve Alcorn in the book "Theme Park Design. Behind the scenes with an Engineer." It's available at the usual places.

It also has some great background behind the design of the other engineering marvel that EPCOT Center opened with. Any guesses? (Marni and Co: Please feel free to disqualify yourselves! ;))

ABQ

There are some really great stories regarding the war wagon and other "Opening Day '81" engineering experiences of Steve Alcorn in the book "Theme Park Design. Behind the scenes with an Engineer." It's available at the usual places.

It also has some great background behind the design of the other engineering marvel that EPCOT Center opened with. Any guesses? (Marni and Co: Please feel free to disqualify yourselves! ;))
The ride vehicles in the Universe of Energy? I dunno, don't leave us hanging.

RobotWolf

It was a structure so large, it took five hairy guys to move it. You saw it just before you saw what was, at the time, the world's largest free-standing hologram.

The "Carousel" at Journey into Imagination. It was the mech that divided five (almost) identical show scenes that served as the pre-show(s). It was a tremendous feat that required system synchronization comparable to "Forbidden Journey" back in a time when they were soldering components together themselves in the basement.

(The hologram was the window into the "Deep Thoughts" tank that you saw as you entered the Dream Port.)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It was a structure so large, it took five hairy guys to move it. You saw it just before you saw what was, at the time, the world's largest free-standing hologram.

The "Carousel" at Journey into Imagination. It was the mech that divided five (almost) identical show scenes that served as the pre-show(s). It was a tremendous feat that required system synchronization comparable to "Forbidden Journey" back in a time when they were soldering components together themselves in the basement.

(The hologram was the window into the "Deep Thoughts" tank that you saw as you entered the Dream Port.)
Yes, it was quite impressive, not just mechanically, but show wise as well. However, it didn't open with EPCOT Ctr. It didn't open until several months later. I don't remember the exact dates (and I'm too lazy to look them up), but, I was in EPCOT in February of 1983 and at the time Imagination only had the movie. FYI... the line stretched all the way to the Land Pavilion just for the movie. Never had so many, waited so long, to see so little! ;):)

Expo_Seeker40

IMG_4063.JPG
THREAD BUMP!

This is what is behind the cardboard cutouts located in the middle of the planetarium/ 180top.

This is where the original space station or moonbase scene was to be constructed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I may add, early in the new year I'm releasing a three part Spaceship Earth new Ultimate Tribute series. 1982 & 86, 94 and then 07.

Lots of new, higher quality footage, brand new audio mixes with more source quality, and of course plenty of new concept and construction information and media.

And yes, a new 1986 180top recreation too :)

montyz81

Always brightens my day to see this thread come back to life. I've wasted so much company time on this thread alone. Happy Friday, everyone!
Totally agree. It I am thinking that in about 5-10 years, this might be the only thread/place where we can truly experience the omnimover ride that is SSE. My guess is that once Siemens is done, the ominimovers, AAs and everything else will be removed in favor of some stupid rollar coaster dark ride featuring Daredevil.

aladdin2007

If I may add, early in the new year I'm releasing a three part Spaceship Earth new Ultimate Tribute series. 1982 & 86, 94 and then 07.

Lots of new, higher quality footage, brand new audio mixes with more source quality, and of course plenty of new concept and construction information and media.

Looking forward to that! thank you!!!

Sonic Sunglasses

I'm really excited to hear this news! I've been a big fan of SSE from the very beginning. And I'm not about to reveal how much company time I've spent in the past two weeks watching your previous videos. :angelic:

Prince Thomas

YAAAAAAAAAS!!! love everything about that!!

Prince Thomas

Totally agree. It I am thinking that in about 5-10 years, this might be the only thread/place where we can truly experience the omnimover ride that is SSE. My guess is that once Siemens is done, the ominimovers, AAs and everything else will be removed in favor of some stupid rollar coaster dark ride featuring Daredevil.
GOD FORBID!!!! i would vom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
YAAAAAAAAAS!!! love everything about that!!
Thank you.

As you know this thread holds a special place in my heart. So I guess it's an appropriate place to say probably from March 2017 these are my projects I'll be releasing that I've been working on for most of this year:

Spaceship Earth 1982 and 1986
Spaceship Earth 1994
Spaceship Earth 2007 (HD)
Universe of Energy
Horizons
World of Motion
Mexico (with Gran Fiesta in HD)
Journey into Imagination
Journey into Your Imagination and Journey into Imagination with Figment (HD)

Each is a complete edit featuring each pavilion from conception to a full, new multi angle ride through. For example the JII edit is 90 minutes long.

And looking further, I'm also aiming to follow up with:

Wonders of Life
The Living Seas
The Land 1982
The Land 1994
The Land 2005 (HD)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom