Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

planet7

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I thought the majority of the hexagonal room was still intact...:confused:

If you mean the leading edge of the "spaceship" (the part with the windows backlit in red), I think that's still there, just dark. I took this photo looking down the ramp. I didn't realize there was much above me, I just wanted a view of the downward spiral.

G7

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
planet7 said:
If you mean the leading edge of the "spaceship" (the part with the windows backlit in red), I think that's still there, just dark. I took this photo looking down the ramp. I didn't realize there was much above me, I just wanted a view of the downward spiral.

G7
im wondering in this photograph, what levels this portion covers. if you look at marni's diagram (i think from page 2) this should only be the first section of the spiral, leaving another full turn, then the turnaround area, followed by the down ramp to the unload. does this sound correct.

Expo_Seeker40

Here's a pic of the area in question with the lights on during an evacuation, HOWEVER the ceiling where the spacestation is...is not visible. This is just meant to show you this rockwork thats on the walls. To give you an idea where this pic is taken. If you see the last visible vehicle on our viewing right, you'll see the blinking stars on the wall to our viewing left. Past this and out of view are the diagrams showing people on I assume video phones. (Mom and Daughter, College Graduate, etc) :wave:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/259318697/1259341465059827271CCdIJl

Expo_Seeker40

I lightened it on a photo editor, and all I found was the enhancement of the rockwork and twinkling stars. I;m just curious...has the rockwork been there since 1982 or 1986...because from seing video of the cronkite version it almost lookied like the tomorrow's child screens were placed right over the rockwork.

PBarton

planet7 said:
Sorry to keep you all waiting. Martin was waiting on permission from me to post this photo, which I was happy to grant him. But I just now got his email, and I assume he's in bed by now, so I'm going to do the honors.

The clarity isn't great--it's a digital photograph in low light (only a flash), but it does clearly show an artifact of the orignial spaceship/space station.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/planet7/sse_artifact.jpg

G7
Bingo! The object that is highlighted IS the object that I was refering to in an earlier post.

It could be seen easily the other day due to the increased lighting levels - If there are any locals going over to Epcot, they could check to see if it was still visible..

Hint, hint!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Expo_Seeker40 said:
I lightened it on a photo editor, and all I found was the enhancement of the rockwork and twinkling stars. I;m just curious...has the rockwork been there since 1982 or 1986...because from seing video of the cronkite version it almost lookied like the tomorrow's child screens were placed right over the rockwork.

Woah - I miss a day and miss out on a good discussion!

Planet7 - thanks. Yep, I was in bed. Just home from work now.

Expo, this pic with rockwork is taken in the ascent tunnel - just entering the dawn of time. The cave men scene is behind the camera.

However, regarding the Tomorrows Child set, in an earlier link to a pic (the evacuation pics) there is one with dayglo `squiggly` lines on the walls. If I`m correct, this is in the last descent tunnel (after the laser effect on the ceiling, before where the AT&T sign was) - this being the case, are they the Tomorrows Child projection screens still hanging from the ceiling? It`s image EPCOT 0105-268. At first I thought it was the warp tunnel into 180 top but the dayglo lines are shorter there.

Also, Planet7 has another image from when the ride stopped. It has the news broadcasts infront of his car (where the presenters change) and right above the screen, just visable even when enhanced, could be the outline of the framework that used to hold the red strip lights.

Expo_Seeker40

I wish I could have seen this space station seen back in the day to have better remembered it.

I've seen the perrin and cronkite tributes u made Martin but for some reason even seing the station with the red lights I can't seem to measure its size in my mind. :cry:

joel_maxwell

marni1971 said:
Woah - I miss a day and miss out on a good discussion!

Planet7 - thanks. Yep, I was in bed. Just home from work now.

Expo, this pic with rockwork is taken in the ascent tunnel - just entering the dawn of time. The cave men scene is behind the camera.

However, regarding the Tomorrows Child set, in an earlier link to a pic (the evacuation pics) there is one with dayglo `squiggly` lines on the walls. If I`m correct, this is in the last descent tunnel (after the laser effect on the ceiling, before where the AT&T sign was) - this being the case, are they the Tomorrows Child projection screens still hanging from the ceiling? It`s image EPCOT 0105-268. At first I thought it was the warp tunnel into 180 top but the dayglo lines are shorter there.

Also, Planet7 has another image from when the ride stopped. It has the news broadcasts infront of his car (where the presenters change) and right above the screen, just visable even when enhanced, could be the outline of the framework that used to hold the red strip lights.
im not sure..... question: would they EVAC this group from the end of the ascent tunnel, down and some how get them into the descent tunnel? that is what is confusing me.

Expo_Seeker40

No it's deffinately the descent tunnel. I brightened them on my own computer. The woman with the red/blond hair is the one with the camera. She takes a picture of the woman next to her (you can see the two men with the telegraph machine behind her) then she takes a picture of I assume her son with the cinema ticket counter lady in the background.

Then she takes a picture of her and her friend. They are either near the boy and girl on the videophone (black curtain behind them), or they are in space, or in the myserious space station room.

Then the ride brakes down on the sharp descent. Brightening the photo reveals the floating classroom behind the boy (our left) the rest of the photos have to be from the descent.

PBarton

Is there anyone visiting Spaceship Earth anytime soon? If the lighting is anything like our trip, you will get a really good look!

:animwink:

Expo_Seeker40

Also picture: EPCOT 0105-268 is NOT of the descent tunnel, but of the ascent tunnel. I know this from seeing too many people taking flash pictures of themselves right as they enter the dark ride itself.

If you look closely you'll see the visible screen has that crappy graphic of the blue vehicle rotating backwords. They also got stuck in the caveman scene which made them go back down through the entrance.

planet7

jmaxwell007 said:
im wondering in this photograph, what levels this portion covers. if you look at marni's diagram (i think from page 2) this should only be the first section of the spiral,

You're right. We had just entered the downward spiral. Btw, this is a recent pic, taken about a month or so ago.

8<:-)

The original satellite/astronauts was experienced during the descent right before the tunnel back to earth. I believe it was moved a bit during the rehab but positioning didn't quite work out so was painted and disconnected and partially disassembled. I also think time and money were factors unfortunatly.
Tis a shame, it really was pretty dramatic.

-Thedisneycast

joel_maxwell

planet7 said:
You're right. We had just entered the downward spiral. Btw, this is a recent pic, taken about a month or so ago.
so does marni's diagram that he has compiled look correct? 2 spirals down then flattens out and one more to enter the flat descent tunnel?

joel_maxwell

8<:-) said:
The original satellite/astronauts was experienced during the descent right before the tunnel back to earth. I believe it was moved a bit during the rehab but positioning didn't quite work out so was painted and disconnected and partially disassembled. I also think time and money were factors unfortunatly.
Tis a shame, it really was pretty dramatic.

-Thedisneycast
i think i vaguely remember this. i really wish the would rehab that scene and maybe include some incredible scenery from what NASA is discovering now with Mars and/or other things.

since the last time i went, 2000, i can remember anything past the fiber optics. isnt that right before the descent?

this is slowly driving me crazy. i think we need to contract someone to do a 3D model of the ride through. :D

planet7

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Also picture: EPCOT 0105-268 is NOT of the descent tunnel, but of the ascent tunnel.

Okay, I'm thorougly confused now. I could have absolutely sworn that those "squiggly lines" were part of the descent. But if you look at the flat-screen monitor on the right, it appears to be showing a Time Machine vehicle--part of that awful safety thing in the ascent (Vortex) tunnel. In a subsequent photo (EPCOT-0105-270) it looks like they're re-entering the Load area. The clincher will be taking a look at my photos of Load and Unload. Notice that in EPCOT-0105-270, there is a glass door inset into the wall. I honestly don't remember a door in either area, but I have several photos of Load, so I can tell for certain once I dig them up.

G7

8<:-)

After your time machine rotates backwards toward earth you begin your descent, after about a minute you would pass the astronaut/satellite above and to your right then on through the station (with the windows) and into the tomorrows child tunnel to unload area. Most of which was moved around and/or concealed.

-Thedisneycast

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom