Space Mountain

Dustinius

Original Poster
Why is the height requirement 44" for Space Mountain in DW when the DL Space Mountain is 40"? My 4 year old son (now 5) went on SM 9 times last year in DL and was his favourite ride. Is there a difference? Or is it because Florida has different regulations? Gonna have to buy some tall shoes I guess, don't know how I'm gonna tell him he can't go on the ride.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Why is the height requirement 44" for Space Mountain in DW when the DL Space Mountain is 40"? My 4 year old son (now 5) went on SM 9 times last year in DL and was his favourite ride. Is there a difference? Or is it because Florida has different regulations? Gonna have to buy some tall shoes I guess, don't know how I'm gonna tell him he can't go on the ride.
They are different rides with different ride vehicles, different tracks and different restraint systems.

WDW
images

DL
Space_Mountain_loading_dock.JPG

Tom

Beta Return
Rider height restrictions are determined by the engineers who design and test the ride systems. They're in place to keep the riders safe. Each ride system, behavior and vehicles are different.

If he's within an inch or less, you might be able to "grow" him. Beyond that, you should edge on the side of safety.

JohnD

I would also say Space Mountain at WDW is quite a bit more intense than Disneyland's version. Rougher and quite a bit jerkier, with sharper turns and larger drops than Disneyland's version.

I agree about WDW SM. Haven't been on the DL version. It's just a herky-jerky fair-type roller coaster encased in a darkened building. I'm not saying I don't like it. I just like EV better.

RMichael21

Agree with everyone... The ride systems, track, vehicles and layout are all completley different. Becuse the WDW version is so jerky, it won't be safe on the ride for your son (if not tall enough) to ride.
Hope this helps. :)

Please do not cheat the height requirement for an attraction. While you may think "hey, what's an inch or two?", manufacturers test the hell out of their attractions to find the safest minimum height requirement. While most kids falling just shy of the requirement will be fine, incidents have happened because parents cheat the requirement.

Tom

Beta Return
Do not, under any circumstances try to "grow" him. Height restrictions are there for HIS SAFETY. DO NOT try to work around this. In some states this is actually illegal. Height requirements are there for a reason.

Meh, there's a safety factor. Everyone wears different thickness shoes, so unless they measured everyone barefoot, less than an inch is insignificant.

But for the record, I will maintain that the OP should not put their child's enjoyment over his safety.

lazyboy97o

Cast Members know the tricks. Tall shoes. Spiked haired. Tippy toes ever so slightly. Just deal with the situation yourself instead of trying to blame somebody else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom