Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

shawnam

I've been to Disney a few times in the past 15 years and I've never ridden Space Mountain. My kids were finally able to convince me to ride. I was really going to, but we're not getting there until April 30th. Oh well. I've waited this long....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
speaking of the TTA, what are they going to do with the TTA during the rehab...I know when Splash goes down they put up a giant curtain so you can't see anything from the train but what are they going to do with the TTA?

TTA is going to be totally closed during some parts of the refurb.

krankenstein

Thanks Steve. It looks like I will get a few more rides in before it goes down. :sohappy:

Now, where is all this conjecture about 6 months coming from. The dates are open ended, as in we don't know how long the attraction is closing for. I mean, dang, they are actually closing the thing and people still want to stir the pot. Geez, be happy it closing for an indefinite amount of time. You never know, we might get something great out of this. :brick:

jt04

If it's going down in Mid April and set to re-open in late 2009 I think it'll be longer than a 6 month refurb. It'll probably be in-time for the holiday season which would give them almost 8 months. But who's to say that this currently publicly announced losely close-ended refurb isn't going to be longer than what them are saying at the moment? We might get a year-long refurb...they could also already have new track/trains/audio ready to go when the refurb starts (afterall the refurb has been in the works for almot 2 years now) so all the downtime will actually be will be demo/rebuild...that could easily be done in 6 months.

don't be such a pessimist.

He definitely can't help it, see below.

Well its impossible to remove the light leaks in Florida's Space Mountain unless they wall off the queue area from the main strutucre and also find a way to reduce light from the TTA cars possibly with a tunnel. Of Course this costs money and even though WDW enjoys HUGE budgets management feels that the attractions do not deserve the TLC.

:rolleyes:

TTA is going to be totally closed during some parts of the refurb.

:sohappy:

As I thought.

Wow, things are really starting to happen but Jim Hill did call them out this morning! :ROFLOL:

I was already in a good mood because of the LwTL addition but this is really AWESOME.:)

djkidkaz

If it's going down in Mid April and set to re-open in late 2009 I think it'll be longer than a 6 month refurb. It'll probably be in-time for the holiday season which would give them almost 8 months. But who's to say that this currently publicly announced losely close-ended refurb isn't going to be longer than what them are saying at the moment? We might get a year-long refurb...they could also already have new track/trains/audio ready to go when the refurb starts (afterall the refurb has been in the works for almot 2 years now) so all the downtime will actually be will be demo/rebuild...that could easily be done in 6 months.

Enigma is a troll who just comes here to complain about everything WDW does. Regardless of how long this rehab was scheduled for, he would have found reason to complain and reason to be negative. Its just what he does, he's an Enigma.

DisneyJunkie

And what is the source of this information? No other Disney World sites that I can find is reporting any specific date such as this.

jt04

Though that stinks, it at least shows some major stuff will be going on inside the spires of SM!

Yes! A bit of short term pain for long term gain. A light at the end of the tunnel.....but not too much of it:animwink:.......:sohappy:.........:p

djkidkaz

What is the big deal with the Disneyland Space Mountain? I see how everyone says its so much better and while watching a youtube video of it, it seems like its all still in the dark, they have just added music to it. :shrug: I noticed a starfield effect at the end of the ride, but didn't see any other effects or anything. What am I missing?

jt04

So would that mean that they'd be now required to change the TTA to meet requirements for those not able to walk onto the ride on their own power?

I thought it already had cars for wheelchairs. :veryconfu

By the way, do the new coasters at SW and UNI meet requirements for those not able to walk onto the ride on their own power?

I'm really lost on the whole ADA/Amusement park rides issue. Anyone know?

Disneyfanman

You know, I remember tons of notes about the Haunted Mansion and the feelings on the boards that Disney was "going cheap". Rants and Raves about the loss of Disney quality.

Then all at once, right in the middle of the rehab, we starting getting information about the scope of the rehab. I remeber the pic of the new scene being released and everyone sort of shifted gears.

The Hall of Presidents sounds like it's getting a wonderful rehab. I was very happy with 80% of Spaceship Earth.

We could still get an amazing product here. I have to think that Disney will do everything possible to keep one of its flagship attractions whole. The Disneyland 2 year rehab came almost a full year early due to a structural emergency that emerged, and they were NOT prepared to begin. WDW has been preparing for this thing for years.

Even if the scope is light to begin, they could add additional items along the way. That's what happened at DL with the Nemo Sub attraction which turned out better than anyone anticipated.

Have faith.

Enigma

Account Suspended

Your absoluetly right. It's just that after the past ten years I don't have that much confidence in the management team at WDW. Afterall, Pirates refurb was nowhere near as good as we all thought it would be and the way people say it hear SpaceShip Earth's isnt even finished yet after beng open for months now.

Haunted Mansion enjoyed a good refurb/update but Space Mountain needs to be much larger in scope and I just hope Disney managment and WDI is up to the task. At a minimum it must be as good as Disneyland's!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
And what is the source of this information? No other Disney World sites that I can find is reporting any specific date such as this.

That's because the other Disney world sites arent up-to-speed on things like we are ;)

captainkidd

Well, since I was expecting it to be down for my January trip, I can't be too bummed about missing it in August. Just wish Splash was open in January to take off some of the crowd build up at Space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom