Space Mountain Refurb?

kingslyZISSOU

I really think the ride is more than long enough. Either way, it's not going to happen. Also, for the same amount of people that would be angry that it didn't change much, I think more people will be happy that the classic ride remains intact but is now much more enjoyable.

But, if the new track is super smooth, it won't seem as crazy, and feel shorter. Riders might feel kind of ripped off.

I know it won't happen (according to current rumors), but I'm pretty sure that its safe to say that 70% of people wouldn't notice if the track layout is different in the pitch black of simulated space

"Hey is this the space ship roller coaster one that's inside?" Is pretty much most guests reaction.

(Personally I think they should Hide fans around the track that blow on you to make it feel faster at key points.)

I think innovative special effects are going to be key in this new version (not that fans are innovative).

Even an additional section that relies purely on show elements (like the mummy for example) would be a great way to plus it. like a slow glide through an asteroid field, than you jet off back into the inky black of space.

show elements on the ride could give it more purpose, and believability. It might even evoke a pre and post show that is part of a coherent story. right now its pretty dang confusing as the story goes. does it even have a story??? I mean it seems like the only ride without a real purpose. (we shoot into space, pull muscles in our necks, take a turn, and theres a carpeted space station. They should make the re entry section more understandable).

(it might even give a good opportunity for merchandise)

The parts where you're looking at things really stick with you, and make give you a good family memory to keep, make you want to experience it again.

Right now the only other parts that aren't a rattly tail bone bruising blur are the blue tunnel, the lift hill, and the red tunnel (which looks like something from a dog show).

I'm not saying my ideas should be followed exactly, but I do think they need some cool differences. The reason people fell in love with it to begin with was how unique it was, and how it had cool effects. now, these are very dated.

yes they were amazing when most of you were growing up, but the audience is different these days. Upcoming generations only know CGI, xbox, and Hi-definition television. light up tunnels, a space station from the 70s future that never was, and a coaster track that keeps many chiropractors in business isn't too amazing by todays standards.

If they are going to shut it down for so long, and spend so much money to make it "newly enhanced", they need to make it count.

I loved the original, and will return to ride it many times before it goes down for surgery. It does need a face lift to stay pretty, smooth, and attractive new spenders to come empty their bank accounts in central Florida.

I have liked it for what it is, and when it was built, but it's just not as exciting as It could be. Kids just aren't as impressed as they could be. And its for the kids, not for you to completely preserve your childhood, but to help form another's. Yes it's just as much (if not more so) for adults, but adults can enjoy it too.

I'm not saying they should make such a crazy change like that of mission to mars into alien encounter. It just needs some plus-ing.

I think the majority of Disney fans over think the changes to the parks. I mean, it's space mountain. Its very disorienting, especially for people who only go on it once every five years. It needs something noticeably different that can be advertised. you can't put "Original Track Layout!", or "New Track layout!!!" on any maps or Commercials. most people won't think too much of it, unless there's a new reason to visit it; like johnny Depp.... with a lightsaber.

But seriously, it really does need some innovative changes, while keeping the soul of the original.

Plans are probably already final. I really hope they don't screw this up, and keep it the same but with music.

This is my outcry to Tony Baxter, John Lassiter, Marty Skylar, and the rest of WDI

Pleased don't waste everyone's money by slightly changing it (with just major technical differences).

ps, Thanks for listening to my ramblings

Lee

Adventurer
I just hope they do not make the outside look goofy like the one in DL paris...

Wait...what?
Are you saying that the outside of Space Mtn. in Paris is "goofy"?!?!
That is the single most impressively themed and lit building in any Disney park, sir. "Goofy" it ain't.

Well...opinion and all that....:shrug:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Wait...what?
That is the single most impressively themed and lit building in any Disney park, sir. "Goofy" it ain't.

I thought the whole idea/theme conceptually was incredible from the start on this SM. I haven't seen in person, but I have seen some nice photos of it at night.

EpcotServo

Wait...what?

Sir, you forget yourself!

-Lee slaps DLP SM haters with glove-

:lol:

imagineer boy

Here's what I think they should do for the rehab:

Give the qeue a facelift so its less 70s look ( BUT KEEP THE STAR TUNNEL MUSIC!!! ) And in the qeue, make it perfectly clear that you're on a space port on earth rather than the confusing look of the ride now where you can't really tell that you're in a space station in space or on earth. But a space port on earth makes alot more sense to me so, I'd like to take it in that direction. Also, bring back the TVs with the commercials on them and make a new saftey spiel.

For the loading area, eliminate the idea of the projected space on the cieling, to keep with the idea that you're on earth and add more themeing, I've always been surprised at the lack of it. And add the cool lights that Tokyo Disneyland's space mountain has.

Keep the rockets the same, but ad bars you can hold onto. And the rockets will be sent so they race each other on both tracks. The beginning of the ride will be completely different. You'll go down a a deeper but gentle drop that sends you into the speed tunnel. Then you go into a lift with a very small incline but that lift contains the spinning tunnel like at DL.

Then you go up the main lift which will be completely enclosed but with star projections on the cieling that spin slowly and the whole lift will be rehabed to be less 70s and the upside down astronauts will actually move. The lifts will also be the new quiet chain lifts.

Once you get into space, you turn a corner and is sent into a launch, but a gentle one, like 0 to 20 in a few seconds. Then the layout will be much different, with sharper corners and a double dip that gives the sensation of weightlessness. And since the rockets will be racing each other, there will be near collision moments.

There will also be obstacles in your path like black-it asteroids and meteor effects like the ones in Dinosaur. For the finale, the ride goes through a lightspeed tunnel like the one at the end of the SM in Disneyland, and then through a spinning light tunnel like the one in the SM in DLP.

The exit station will be given more themeing. And the exit ramp will have updated scenes with advanced animatronics.

Whew, sorry, just had to go through one of my imagineering streaks.:lol:

Daddymouse

As much as DW and I like SM, I would rather it is down for a complete refurbishment as opposed to cutting corners. That has been done too often over the last decade. It looks like SM won't be running during our next visit. It'll give us something to look forward to in the future. It is a shame for people who may only get the opportunity to play at WDW just one time. God has blessed our family.

hokielutz

I too hope the heavily rumored refurb will be similar to an overhaul, and not a cosmetic change. There is a lot that needs to be addressed with the ride and the experience itself that is just too dated by today's standards. Hopefully the talk about cutting corners is just talk and they go through with whatever is needed to revitalize the attraction.

(not saying the attraction is unpopular, but something that makes folks want to see and experience everything from the queue to the post-show.)

kingslyZISSOU

I too hope the heavily rumored refurb will be similar to an overhaul, and not a cosmetic change. There is a lot that needs to be addressed with the ride and the experience itself that is just too dated by today's standards. Hopefully the talk about cutting corners is just talk and they go through with whatever is needed to revitalize the attraction.

(not saying the attraction is unpopular, but something that makes folks want to see and experience everything from the queue to the post-show.)

I completely agree.

I think they should really make it appeal to a wider audience instead of it relying just on thrills. It needs to be a complete experience. people shouldn't think "i like this bumpy coaster because i'm blinded".

As I mentioned earlier, I think show scenes are key.

With computer controlled ride systems that can be used today, the ride can still be an exciting space flight with events besides going through a dark room with disco balls.

I think it would be awesome (depending on the new support system, I hope it's more like the average supports for a coaster rather than the mess of metal bars it is now) if they used lights similar to the new end of space ship earth. the ones that hang from the ceiling that make it feel like your in one of those screen savers. It would give it much more depth, and sense of movement. The disco balls should be scrapped.

The attraction should focus on the fanciful majestic view of space travel and rocket ships that never really was. It can still be a thrill ride, without it being physically demanding (like that grand soarin feeling). I think it has a rather limited age demographic as it is now.

It's space mountain, not mission space. If someone wants to experience simulated space flight, I don't think it should be in tomorrowland. They should really take advantage of the potential this attraction has.

Also, the seating (as much as I like the single file seats) needs to be more comfy. It's rather painful to us taller folks.

kingslyZISSOU

Here's what I think they should do for the rehab:

Give the qeue a facelift so its less 70s look ( BUT KEEP THE STAR TUNNEL MUSIC!!! ) And in the qeue, make it perfectly clear that you're on a space port on earth rather than the confusing look of the ride now where you can't really tell that you're in a space station in space or on earth. But a space port on earth makes alot more sense to me so, I'd like to take it in that direction. Also, bring back the TVs with the commercials on them and make a new saftey spiel.

For the loading area, eliminate the idea of the projected space on the cieling, to keep with the idea that you're on earth and add more themeing, I've always been surprised at the lack of it. And add the cool lights that Tokyo Disneyland's space mountain has.

Keep the rockets the same, but ad bars you can hold onto. And the rockets will be sent so they race each other on both tracks. The beginning of the ride will be completely different. You'll go down a a deeper but gentle drop that sends you into the speed tunnel. Then you go into a lift with a very small incline but that lift contains the spinning tunnel like at DL.

Then you go up the main lift which will be completely enclosed but with star projections on the cieling that spin slowly and the whole lift will be rehabed to be less 70s and the upside down astronauts will actually move. The lifts will also be the new quiet chain lifts.

Once you get into space, you turn a corner and is sent into a launch, but a gentle one, like 0 to 20 in a few seconds. Then the layout will be much different, with sharper corners and a double dip that gives the sensation of weightlessness. And since the rockets will be racing each other, there will be near collision moments.

There will also be obstacles in your path like black-it asteroids and meteor effects like the ones in Dinosaur. For the finale, the ride goes through a lightspeed tunnel like the one at the end of the SM in Disneyland, and then through a spinning light tunnel like the one in the SM in DLP.

The exit station will be given more themeing. And the exit ramp will have updated scenes with advanced animatronics.

Whew, sorry, just had to go through one of my imagineering streaks.:lol:

I agree with some of your points. They really need to have some sort of story/ setting that makes sense. And I really like the Idea of asteroid effects.

I don't really like the idea of racing rockets, I think would make it feel like a normal roller coaster. You would also most likely be able to see the track.

I think any tunnels should have a realistic feel, not fun house spinning tunnels. Space Mountain should really be a flagship, not a museum.

I still like the original, and always will. I just don't think it's as exciting as it could be. It was built in a time where it was cutting edge, and the times they are a changin.

erasure fan1

As much as I want this refurb to happen I just cant help but think they should wait until they have built another D or E ticket in the park. I know that wouldnt happen but for the guests it would be best. Man how crowded would splash and thunder be without space? It would be nuts.

As for what I would like them to do, Make a whole new track. Keep the feel of the original, no inversions and some slightly bigger drops. I also like the idea of using the same type of lights as the end of spaceship earth. Space mountain was the first thing I thought of when I went through that part.

imagineer boy

I think any tunnels should have a realistic feel, not fun house spinning tunnels. Space Mountain should really be a flagship, not a museum.

But have you seen the spinning tunnel in DL and the one in the finale of the DLP version? They are not funhouse effects.

Here's a video of Space Mountain Mission 2. The effect is near the end of the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoU8hVM04KY

Actually, its more like a swirley tunnel rather than a spinning one.

And I can't find a good video that does the justice of the spinning tunnel at DL. But its actually a really good and disorienting effect.

PhilharMagician

Also, the seating (as much as I like the single file seats) needs to be more comfy. It's rather painful to us taller folks.

I am 6'4" and it as fairly comfortable compared to many roller coasters. Most coasters jamb my knees really bad into the back of the seats. The only problem I have is when I get wedged into the rocket and my knees stick right up out of the cockpit of the rocket which surprisingly is fairly comfortable, but getting out from that position I need a crane. :lol:

Figment571

I personally believe that what Disney should do with Space Mountain is keep the two track concept but have the line enclosed and have one track that could be coined as a Classic Trip that uses the same or similar(expanded) track design as the current version with new effects and whatnot. Then they could create a new "Hypersonic spaceflight" perhaps track that is a much more intense coaster featuring loops and launches and what not with all the awesome effects.

That and create the que as almost a place where you go through a teleporter to a deep space station where work is being done. And afterwards vice versa and maybe show some work being done on Earth now about how mankind is trying to go to space (not sci-fi stuff).

imagineer boy

That and create the que as almost a place where you go through a teleporter to a deep space station where work is being done. And afterwards vice versa and maybe show some work being done on Earth now about how mankind is trying to go to space (not sci-fi stuff).

Eh, Sci-Fi stuff is the only thing that works because if you did it too realistically it'll become outdated. Besides, sci-fi stuff fits better in tomorrowland and rather realistic looks at the future belong more at Epcot and basically Mission: Space fills that envelope. And Mission:Space has a good blend of realism and fantasey so its more timeless.

And the teleporter thing would be too similar to the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas I'm afraid.

kingslyZISSOU

But have you seen the spinning tunnel in DL and the one in the finale of the DLP version? They are not funhouse effects.

Here's a video of Space Mountain Mission 2. The effect is near the end of the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoU8hVM04KY

Actually, its more like a swirly tunnel rather than a spinning one.

And I can't find a good video that does the justice of the spinning tunnel at DL. But its actually a really good and disorienting effect.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this "spinning tunnel" is much of an improvement over the current attraction.
And why would you want to further disorient your guests???
Do you think the ride itself doesn't do a good enough job?

I think they should stay away from trying to confuse guests, and make it an epic attraction. As I said in a previous post, I think it should give you that soarin feeling + the elements of a thrill ride. But not intense. Just really exciting.

Brian_WDW74

Eh, Sci-Fi stuff is the only thing that works because if you did it too realistically it'll become outdated. Besides, sci-fi stuff fits better in tomorrowland and rather realistic looks at the future belong more at Epcot and basically Mission: Space fills that envelope. And Mission:Space has a good blend of realism and fantasey so its more timeless.

And the teleporter thing would be too similar to the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas I'm afraid.

Since Star Trek: The Experience is closing for good in less than a month, I don't think that would be a problem. :)

imagineer boy

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this "spinning tunnel" is much of an improvement over the current attraction.
And why would you want to further disorient your guests???
Do you think the ride itself doesn't do a good enough job?

I think they should stay away from trying to confuse guests, and make it an epic attraction. As I said in a previous post, I think it should give you that soarin feeling + the elements of a thrill ride. But not intense. Just really exciting.

Well, you havn't ridden the rides. I've ridden the one in DL, and the spinning tunnel at the end of the main lift is amazing. It kinda gives the impression that you're launching into space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom