Space Mountain Refurb?

cblodg

What is the latest on any changes for Space Mountain?

Time Frame?

Extent of Changes to be made?

From what I have heard and read on these boards, the track layout will remain pretty much the same. They are going to replace the rack with a smooth running track. I hope that included in this rehab will be returning the arcade back to how it looked. The "new" and "hip" look really just doesn't go with the original SM look.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Return the arcade? How about get rid (yeah, right!) since it was only added in 1994.

Right now:

Closure Jan 9th 2008 for 14 months

New preshow theme (extent unknown)

New load cosmetics

New track, same layouts

Mostly new track supports

New cars with onboard audio similar to DLC but unique to WDW

New visual effects

New unload cosmetics

Possible brand new post show, at least a retheme

Exterior enhancements

Pete C

Thanks for the update Marni...I anticipate every morsel of SM refurb news and I am glad to see that it is still on track for early 09. I am getting worried that it will be delayed or something due to the economy, so I wish Disney would get on with an official announcement.

Return the arcade? How about get rid (yeah, right!) since it was only added in 1994.

Right now:

New load cosmetics

New track, same layouts

New visual effects

New unload cosmetics

Exterior enhancements

I'm sure you meant 2009? :D

imagineer boy

I really wish they'd change the layout of the track. I've seen videos of SM with the lights on and the track layout is just so primitive. I'm not saying it should have loops or anyting, but I'd just wish they'd shake things up a bit and try somthing new.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sure you meant 2009? :D
I did. Still jet lagged :lol:

The date could slip a week or two either way, so don`t book anything specifically for the 9th.

The layout will be perfect when tweaked. Imagine todays track with totally smooth drops and climbs, with rengineered curves instead of the bone crunch you have today. All set to Incredibles style music.

I`m drooling already.

Did I mention during a 101 you can see the supports all marked with spray paint where they will be cut? Let me see...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

The date could slip a week or two either way, so don`t book anything specifically for the 9th.

The layout will be perfect when tweaked. Imagine todays track with totally smooth drops and climbs, with rengineered curves instead of the bone crunch you have today. All set to Incredibles style music.

I`m drooling already.

Did I mention during a 101 you can see the supports all marked with spray paint where they will be cut? Let me see...

But the bone crunch and "its about to fall apart" are what makes it fun!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
....like this:

Attachments

• IMG_1443web.jpg
    IMG_1443web.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 298

mickeymouse090

I hope they push it back a week because I am checking in on the 8th & I really don't want to have to race over to MK just to get to ride it one more time before it goes down...but if I have to then I have to! SM is worth it, I just have to get back to AKL for dinner at Jiko later that night! :lol: Run Forrest Run :ROFLOL:

I`m drooling already.

Well, I'll be there for the 1/2 Marathon on 1/10, regardless...here's hoping it's still open for one last ride on the "old" Space Mountain!

WildLodgeFan

I`m drooling already.

Hi Martin! I'm glad you had a great trip and want to say thanks for sharing all that you do. I'm newer to the forum, so I'm still learning lingo. What exactly is a 101? Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was Space Mountain closed earlier this year for some site work for this extended refurbishment?
No that I know of (not to say it wasn`t) - everything so far as I know has been 3rd shift.

A 101 is when an attraction closes suddenly.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

All of this sounds so exciting but I will miss the coaster how it is today. I love the roughness this coaster delivers. It is really fun being tossed around a little in the dark while going down a track at 30mph. Oh well, change always comes and I am still excited to see how it turns out.

EPCOT Explorer

Right now:

New load cosmetics

New track, same layouts

New visual effects

New unload cosmetics

Exterior enhancements
Sounds good always...I guess this is for the 4oth too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom