1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Mountain Queue "Space" Windows

Discussion in 'How do they do that?' started by DisneySaint, Oct 11, 2004.

1. DisneySaint

DisneySaint Well-Known Member

I have a dream...

A whacky one! I am immensely and obsessively interested in constructing a "computer room" on my house with a space theme to it. What I see in my head came to reality when I first was able to see the "space windows" in the Space Mountain queue. Some even have moving objects in them. Since this is mid 70s technology, this has got to be something pretty primitive, so I am really interested to see how it works.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

2. brkgnews

brkgnews Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the 'real' answer is, but here is one thought on how it might work...

First, think of the busts in the Haunted Mansion. They're "inside out," with the concave side facing the audience. Therefore, they always are looking at us no matter where we are. Presumably, you could put the graphic on a concave surface and have part of the effect. Then, it might just be a matter of finding a slightly convex glass to further distort it.

As I said -- no idea how it really works -- that's just a guess.

3. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I think it is simialr to brkgnews`s idea - convex/cave glass plus a magnifying layer, both between a model or image, and an outer flat piece of glass. Those lucky enough to have ridden Horizons, or have seen a video of it :animwink: will recall in the lauch tube after the Birthday Party scene the three images of Omega Centauri, Mesa Verde and Sea Castle - all done with the same effect.

4. Dr.Seeker

Dr.Seeker Member

Ye, those look so cool. Thanks for the insight!

5. Djali999

Djali999 Active Member

It appears to be a black spherical surface which you look into the inside of. the stars are fiber optics and the glass surface has been ground around the edes on the rear to produce a magnifying effect.

The objects in space are obviously a Pepper's Ghost illusion. the tilted mirror would bisect the spheres and appears to point down, where the model is, out of sight. It's not a bad effect, very simple.

6. EpcotGirl

EpcotGirl New Member

I Love The Spm Windows !

7. disneylands

disneylands Account Suspended

:mad: WHAT THOSE WINDOW'S ARENT REALL?????:lol:

Okay It is a mixture between the busts in the haunted mansion, and the moving objects are similar to the dancing ghosts in the haunted mansion. There is some kind of website about disney patents in which it explains how these effects are done. Maybe you'd want to check that out?

8. CoffeeJedi

CoffeeJedi Active Member

I remember being terrified of those windows the first time I rode SM as a kid. The eery "ping" sound effects and the visual of the ghostly objects falling into the inky blackness just freaked me out. I felt like the ride was going to cast me adrift into an infinite sea and i'd never come back. Luckily my parents convinced me to ride it anyway and I loved it.

9. mayrag

mayrag New Member

Space mountain windows

I'm sorry, I don't have the slightest idea how these are made. But I just wanted to mention but as long as I can remember I've been always amazed by this effect. You just have to stare them as you walk by.

10. wdwishes2005

wdwishes2005 New Member

anyone know if the SM cars in the windows are real? or a recording?

11. Valawen9

Valawen9 New Member

lol...I hate looking at those when I'm in line for that! They make me dizzy!:lol: :hurl:

12. mountainmaster1

mountainmaster1 New Member

Those windows do produce a great effect. They are just like looking through a magnifying glass as a black board with fiber-optic lights as stars. They make me dizzy, but I just can't stop looking at them. :dazzle:

13. rainfully

rainfully Well-Known Member

Anyone else here stop... go backwards... go fowards... back... forth... to see what happens? :lol:

Or am I just a bit odd.... :lookaroun :eek:

14. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

Well if you are odd for that so am I as well as my wife,my kids and pretty much everyone else I have been on Space Mountain with.

15. Scott M

Scott M New Member

They're a recording. The film is on a continuous loop.

Scott

16. WDW_Sam

WDW_Sam Member

One time someone had to tell me to move because i was staring at them trying to work out how they did it. In my daze the que had actually moved about 20 feet haha.

Sam

17. HntdMansionFan

HntdMansionFan Member

When we were there in Oct, I again found myself asking "how'd they do that?". Since this thread was last posted 2 years ago, I was wondering if anyone had any new theories or info on this? Thanks all!:cool:

18. Rolf

Rolf New Member

These windows actually impress me a lot and I think that they add a lot to the line que. Most of these explanations here that members provide are probably accurate. so far I am thinking that Djali999 is right about what he said.

19. PirateTreasure2

PirateTreasure2 New Member

I did it last time I went on it. It was awesome!

20. IROC it

IROC it Member

Ahhhhh...

<object height="80" width="300">

That is soothing...

<embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/gkmnKmKziG" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="80" width="300"></object>