Space Mountain Exterior Refurbishment

MaximumEd

The dome went on after the ride was built. Somewhere I have pictures of the dome panels being hoisted up by crane, during my first visit, and the track was assembled inside. The built the support pylons first, then the flat "roof" to the actual ride, then the track, then the skin and roof dome part.

Interesting. Thanks for the info on that. The point I was trying to get at was the grand exterior vs what's inside and today's guest expectations, if that makes any sense.

ppete1975

brownmountain_withhista2000ah.jpg

NEW PAINT JOB!!!!!

Brad Bishop

It's a (well, two for WDW) wild mouse coaster in a dark, enclosed, A/C'd space and it works really well. All of that and the combined twists/turns with the not really knowing where you are bit really make for a good ride. I'd argue that it's the best coaster at WDW save maybe for Big Thunder. It's not the fastest nor does it have loops, but it works really well.

hpyhnt 1000

I also want to add that I know eventually there will have to be a full track replacement, I just hope that when that happens, the dual-tracks and the layout will remain unchanged; but we'll get on-board audio.

Absolutely agree that any replacement needs to maintain a 2 track layout. The single file seating needs to remain as well.

And while we're at it, bring back the glow-in-the-dark side panels. Darkness levels be darned; being able to see other rockets zipping around heightened the ride's thrill factor. Should never have removed those.

Monorail_Orange

Absolutely agree that any replacement needs to maintain a 2 track layout. The single file seating needs to remain as well.

And while we're at it, bring back the glow-in-the-dark side panels. Darkness levels be darned; being able to see other rockets zipping around heightened the ride's thrill factor. Should never have removed those.
Agree with you completely on the panels. Frankly, I feel about the same way in regards to the covered queue.

trainplane3

I

I thought the panels were still there but weren't being "charged" by the lights in the station anymore? Besides, they weren't that bright to ruin the lighting in the building, the exposed lift hill is causing it. I was down in 2016 and it didn't seem as dark as the previous years. Or maybe I have sensitive eyes? I'll compare when I'm down there in a couple weeks.

raymusiccity

It's a (well, two for WDW) wild mouse coaster in a dark, enclosed, A/C'd space and it works really well. All of that and the combined twists/turns with the not really knowing where you are bit really make for a good ride. I'd argue that it's the best coaster at WDW save maybe for Big Thunder. It's not the fastest nor does it have loops, but it works really well.

It looks like we're headed that way with all of the new VR goggles. Slap on blinders, and any coaster can become Space Mountain! ;)

Maeryk

It looks like we're headed that way with all of the new VR goggles. Slap on blinders, and any coaster can become Space Mountain! ;)

I notice Disney sidestepped the whole VR thing directly. Even Six Flags has them.. but they are usually seen as trying to update a fairly old ride.. and I'm not sure Disney wants to have that appearance. Plus.. no thanks.. pinkeye express. Ugh.

HMF

I've always been partial to the exterior of the Jules Vern inspired Space Mountain in Paris. Between the 20k League sub and copper roof, it's pretty awesome looking.

n018015_2050jan01_space-mountain_16-9.jpg
But it doesn't adapt well to the domestic parks as we saw in1998.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom