Southern Caribbean

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
I just booked a southern Caribbean cruise for January 2018!! Has anyone done one of these cruises? Do you usually go a day early and get a hotel? How do you get to the port? Do you fly right home after the cruise or stay in a hotel another night? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One thing I can tell you is never, ever, ever attempt to fly in on the day your cruise leaves. Always get there the day before.

There are so many things that can delay or cancel a flight that a 24 hour or more buffer can really save your bacon.

A number of the hotels close to Port Canaveral also offer a shuttle to the port.

ChuckElias

Definitely fly in a day early. If you're traveling from Minnesota in January, I'm guessing there's a good probability of snow, and maybe even severe winter weather. You don't want to miss your cruise's departure because you're stuck in the snow :(

As for getting to the port, DCL offers transfers on the morning of the cruise. The cost of the transfers depends on the port of departure. If you're leaving from Port Canaveral, the transfers from Orlando airport are $35 each way per person This is very convenient if you choose to stay at the airport hotel. However, you can also rent a car and stay at a hotel closer to the port. Many of the hotels near Port Canaveral offer free shuttle service to the port.

If your cruise leaves from Miami, then DCL will offer transfers from one of the hotels in town (although I don't know which one it will be). But to be honest, it will probably be cheaper and almost as easy to simply take a taxi from your hotel to the ship.

Whether you stay an extra night after your cruise or fly home right after disembarkation is totally a matter of preference. My family usually flies right home, unless we've made plans to stay a few days at WDW.

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
This cruise leaves from San Juan which makes me somewhat nervous since I've never flown there and don't know really anything about the city/hotels/transportation. I guess I have been to the cruise terminal since one of my Disney cruises stopped there, but that doesn't really count. DCL said they have transfers there which are $40 roundtrip, but I'm not entirely sure how they work so I might just use a taxi.

21stamps

This cruise leaves from San Juan which makes me somewhat nervous since I've never flown there and don't know really anything about the city/hotels/transportation. I guess I have been to the cruise terminal since one of my Disney cruises stopped there, but that doesn't really count. DCL said they have transfers there which are $40 roundtrip, but I'm not entirely sure how they work so I might just use a taxi.
San Juan is wonderful!! If you can arrive a few days early I would definitely go that route. Or arrive 1 day early and do a few nights on the backend.

The Southern Caribbean Islands are my favorite!! I have been to St Lucia, Aruba, and Curaçao, but never Bonair. DCL's new itinerary is very tempting!
Have a wonderful cruise!!!

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
San Juan is wonderful!! If you can arrive a few days early I would definitely go that route. Or arrive 1 day early and do a few nights on the backend.

The Southern Caribbean Islands are my favorite!! I have been to St Lucia, Aruba, and Curaçao, but never Bonair. DCL's new itinerary is very tempting!
Have a wonderful cruise!!!
We won't be able to spend much time in San Juan. I'm a bad mom and my daughter will already be missing two weeks of school next year for vacations (whoops!) so we can't really extend this trip :( Guess we'll just have to take another cruise!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom