Sorry, Another New Camera Thread

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
So... I'm about ready to order a D5000 body only for $591 and a refurbished by Nikon 18mm - 105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX (VR) for $279. I didn't think the 18-55 or 55-200 had enough versatility to buy one over the other. So, the 18-105 seems like a good compromise until I can afford something more.

Sound good or am I on the wrong track?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
So... I'm about ready to order a D5000 body only for $591 and a refurbished by Nikon 18mm - 105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX (VR) for $279. I didn't think the 18-55 or 55-200 had enough versatility to buy one over the other. So, the 18-105 seems like a good compromise until I can afford something more.

Sound good or am I on the wrong track?
It sounds good to me! Who are you buying from?

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
I have a shopping cart ready to go at Adorama whenever I finally decide that I am making the most of my money. :)

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
Well, I did it. I just placed my order for a D5000 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR. It should be here in a few days. I ended up ordering from Amazon due to Adorama being sold out and B&H does not yet carry that package. I paid the same price as I would have at Adorama, so there was no loss there. The total was $879.

PhotoDave219

Canon and Nikon are about equal with Nikon being a 1/2 step ahead in low noise-High ISO processing. Canon is way ahead in video modes tho.

It all depends on what you want to do with your images/photos.

Ravenscroft

Canon and Nikon are about equal with Nikon being a 1/2 step ahead in low noise-High ISO processing. Canon is way ahead in video modes tho.

It all depends on what you want to do with your images/photos.

I would have to disagree with the low noise thing. The Canon 7D out performed the D300/D300s in a side by side test. Let me find the link for it......
http://www.photographybay.com/2009/10/27/canon-7d-vs-nikon-d300s-iso-test/

Plus I have seen the 7D in action, since my brother has it, and also the D300 (which is exactly the same as the D300s just without the video) and I have to say that the 7D is better in the dark.

Now as for the rest of the cameras that can be compared, such as the 50D and 5DmkII Nikons comparable cameras D90 and D700 win. Then finally the D3 from Nikon vs. the 1Ds MkIV from canon that will be settled soon when the 1Ds MkIV comes out.

PhotoDave219

I would have to disagree with the low noise thing. The Canon 7D out performed the D300/D300s in a side by side test. Let me find the link for it......
http://www.photographybay.com/2009/10/27/canon-7d-vs-nikon-d300s-iso-test/

Plus I have seen the 7D in action, since my brother has it, and also the D300 (which is exactly the same as the D300s just without the video) and I have to say that the 7D is better in the dark.

Now as for the rest of the cameras that can be compared, such as the 50D and 5DmkII Nikons comparable cameras D90 and D700 win. Then finally the D3 from Nikon vs. the 1Ds MkIV from canon that will be settled soon when the 1Ds MkIV comes out.

Don't turn this into a "my-brand-is-better-than-your-brand" camera argument.... because the hairs you are splitting are ridiculous.

The difference between Nikon and Canon anymore is the monkey pushing the button. Bright sunlight doesn't care about the brand of your camera, its still going to be 1/ISO @ f/16.

Ravenscroft

Don't turn this into a "my-brand-is-better-than-your-brand" camera argument.... because the hairs you are splitting are ridiculous.

The difference between Nikon and Canon anymore is the monkey pushing the button. Bright sunlight doesn't care about the brand of your camera, its still going to be 1/ISO @ f/16.

Short answer: I'm not making it a Brand War.

Yes bright sunlight doesn't care but the darkness does.

RonAnnArbor

Short answer: I'm not making it a Brand War.

Yes bright sunlight doesn't care but the darkness does.

Indeed that is right -- I won't quote my dSLR brand here, but my camera, with a 50mm 1.4 lens will get just about any shot in almost near darkness. Not sure the competitors camera/lens would...

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
The D5000 came today. Free shipping takes along time. :ROFLOL:

Since I am 1000 miles from WDW I took some pics (84) of a bug, flowers, a squirrel and the 15 month old girl. The quality is much better than my Olympus. I like it. Just gotta figure out how to set everything and how to navigate ALL the menus.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Start learning those menus, and soon you'll be able to scroll through them with your eye on the viewfinder!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom