Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

you're right. every time bill nye says global warming is a "hot topic with plenty of debate," it makes me cringe. i always wonder if he regrets that, and/or taking exxon's money to say it..

nevertheless, and don't take this as an attack on you, TJ, because i agree that kids (and adults, for that matter) have reduced attention spans nowadays, but it's so frustrating to me that we don't try to expect more from our kids. i remember thinking epcot was "boring" when i was a child, and now i revel in the fact that i got to experience the original epcot center and believe it helped form a portion of who i am today, attention span and all.

it's a bummer we have to cater everything to the LCD.
I agree that global warming is a major problem. The good news is our carbon polution from energy use is way down and well below the Obama agreements. However, the reason for this accomplishment is fracking for natural gas. If it weren't for fracking natural gas to heat homes in the north would be 3 times higher and electricity would also cost much more. Therefore the energy pavilion should not be replaced but upgraded to explain what is actually going on with the energy industry and its effect on both the environment and benefits to consumers. Focusing on only one aspect of energy is wrong and if the environment is the sole focus people will freeze to death in the winter or die from the heat in the summer. We need affordable energy but we need to balance that with the environmental needs of out planet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Avatarland appears to have been well received so it's hard to say conclusively if there is a demand for Disney properties in the park, or just demand for something new.
I think it's way to early to determine the overall success and demand. Yesterday by all accounts every park was packed. Imagination was even at a half hour wait. By later in the day the park - and Avland - had calmed down.

A month, 3 months, six months will be a better barometer. Or there again it could be the park the land is situated in that dictates the need and other similar options that may or may not be available.

But I think we're in the wrong thread.

lazyboy97o

But this doesn't address what I said. Since pretty much everything new is tied to a Disney IP how do you know it's the IP that is making them popular or just the fact that it's something new? If, as you say, IP is the driving factor then we should have seen a much more lukewarm reception for Avatarland.
He's excited for new holes behind the Energy Pavilion as some great landscape improvement.

aladdin2007

The reviews of Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! are nothing short of raves. I rode it twice today, and I think it's one of the most entertaining E Tickets Disney has done in the last 20 years on either coast. It ranks right up there with Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Hyperspace Mountain. And it's far better than DCA's Tower of Terror ever was.

In my review on the Disneyland forum, I likened DCA's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror to a mellow old episode of Lawrence Welk, while Mission: BREAKOUT! is a rock n' roll comedy sketch from the current season of Saturday Night Live. It's that different, and that much better.

When Joe Rohde walks back into WDI on Tuesday morning after this holiday weekend, I imagine he'll get a standing ovation from the entire office.

that may be, but not what I want to see in Epcot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it's way to early to determine the overall success and demand. Yesterday by all accounts every park was packed. Imagination was even at a half hour wait. By later in the day the park - and Avland - had calmed down.

A month, 3 months, six months will be a better barometer. Or there again it could be the park the land is situated in that dictates the need and other similar options that may or may not be available.

But I think we're in the wrong thread.

I am trying to have a "discussion" with JT, don't go trying to bring logic into this. ;)

Rodan75

@marni1971 any insight into why Guardians may not come to WDW? Are they concerned about longevity? Too much space stuff?

The box office from vol2 is a little disappointing, everyone seemed to think it would easily bust the $1B mark...but now it looks like if it does get there...it will be barely. Still a successful movie but not a phenomenon.

On the Tower, if I had any fear it would change, I would be more concerned that they would go with Dr Strange. They wouldn't have to weld as many weird space tubes to the outside. They could keep it mostly as is on the outside and just change the interior.

StevieRay

The box office from vol2 is a little disappointing, everyone seemed to think it would easily bust the $1B mark...but now it looks like if it does get there...it will be barely. Still a successful movie but not a phenomenon.

Are you serious? It would be one of only 20 movies in history to clear the 1 billion mark and you consider that a little disappointing?

lazyboy97o

Are you serious? It would be one of only 20 movies in history to clear the 1 billion mark and you consider that a little disappointing?
Disney has plenty of history of being disappointed by big success when a huge success was anticipated.

Is Joe Rhode in charge of projects in EPCOT now? I guess Pandora is open - on to the next project.
No, Rohde is in charge of the Marvel portfolio. Tom Fitzgerald is in charge of Epcot projects.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
@marni1971 any insight into why Guardians may not come to WDW? Are they concerned about longevity? Too much space stuff?

On the Tower, if I had any fear it would change, I would be more concerned that they would go with Dr Strange. They wouldn't have to weld as many weird space tubes to the outside. They could keep it mostly as is on the outside and just change the interior.
I thought the same thing about Dr. Strange with Tower, fairly easy to overlay and to a re-theme for the building and then a guardians overlay for RnR.

@marni1971 have you heard about Captain America coming? any truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom