Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyC97

Having been to EPCOT Center in November '83 and December '84 (9 and 10 years old and loved it...only thing that was a bit boring by the end of the ride for me was UoE), I'd consider the following E's at that time:

Spaceship Earth
Universe of Energy
Horizons
World of Motion
Journey into Imagination (the ride itself)
American Adventure
Listen to the Land*

*closest to a D ticket IMO but the size and live guide per boat put it over the edge

Later '80s additions:

The Living Seas as a whole pavilion but only a C if you consider the ride portion by itself

Body Wars due to the tech at that time.

Phicinfan

Here's the thing, Energy **was** pushed back. But, if I'm reading Martin correctly, it may be back to being sooner than later with an IP other than GotG.

Note the "may."
I agree, read it as it may be back again, thus the start of some ground work, but I read it as he still thinks GotG is a go, although there are still other options. @marni1971 ?

ItlngrlBella

@marni1971 do you think the ride system - large cars will go away as well? Also, is that ride powered by solar? I seem to remember seeing giant solar panels on the roof.

The one thing I remember about early Epcot is the variety of ride systems. Boats, large theatre bench seating that moves (EEA), Horizons I think we were suspended along a wall behind us, motion simulators, etc.

We've taken seniors and relatives with mobility issues and they love EEA's ride system (not so much the Ellen part), but we (my, kids, my husband and the seniors), LOVE the dinosaurs and the fact that the ride was nice and cool, comfortable and it seemed like a longer ride (plus it seems to pack a lot of people in).

I'd be sad if this ends up being a coaster.

You can still educate the public about energy, without being preachy. Learning about and inspiring the next generation about cleaner forms of coal, solar, wind, biofuels and it can still be fun.

Last edited:

Kman101

Will there be show scenes with the proposed coaster? Or the typical one with one animatronic. Can anyone spill anything without spilling details?

the_rich

It's a stretch but in GOTG2 the main villain is after them because they stole some expensive batteries. The ride could have something to do with that plot line. Just playing devil's advocate.

Ripken10

It's a stretch but in GOTG2 the main villain is after them because they stole some expensive batteries. The ride could have something to do with that plot line. Just playing devil's advocate.
I don't think that was the main villain...just saying. In fact, I wouldn't really classify them as a villain at all.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Wait. Did every pavilion have an E ticket? I thought only Horizons has departed with WoL pavilion too? I think I'm just misinterpreting your post, because what you're describing sounds incredible.

In this analogy, what are the Forbidden Journey, indy EMV, splash mountain, ToT and shanghai equivalents? Are you saying, that there were supposed to be MORE attractions that never got built, or are you saying there WERE attractions of this caliber that were torn down? I'm probably overthinking this post. But please make this theoretical park exist so I can give it my money
You're overthinking. Original Epcot had no thrill rides at all. In that regard, it was probably lacking. But Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, UoE, Journey Into Imagination and Listen to the Land were all E-tickets in the same way Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are often thought of as E-tickets. And the American Adventure was (still is) as "E-ticket" as a show gets. I'd give Horizon's a D-ticket, but others would've made it an E, and that's fine with me. The Seas, if you counted the whole pavilion as one, was certainly E-ticket caliber as well.

The biggest thing, to me, was that every pavilion was an experience. Immersive, entertaining, educational. Either a grand-scale ride that took double digit minutes to unfold, or a mix of rides, shows and exhibits that could be enjoyed at your own pace in whatever depth you wanted. Even when Wonders of Life opened with a thrill ride (Body Wars), it retained and matched the wonder of the rest of Future World. I thought Disney got it exactly right with WoL. Immersive, entertain, educational, but also had a thrill element for those who wanted it, and could be done in smaller bites of time if you so chose.

V_L_Raptor

How, What could be a worse fit (That they can legally use) than Guardians of the Galaxy? I re-worded it to sound less extreme, That was not my intention.

Oh, no, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that, well, there's always something worse they could do. Sometimes the imaginative surprise is the magic it takes to botch something. (I severely doubt anyone was expecting JIYI, for example.)

BrianLo

@HMF I don't necessarily disagree that Nemo doesn't fit, it doesn't, but I doubt it's going anywhere. I look at it that if we're stuck with it, they could have at least done it better. I don't really gripe over it.

Ironically, Finding Dory and the marine life institute from the film actually isn't much of a stretch. I like the look of the exterior on the new overlay in TDS, very Epcot with the logo's.

If they want to stick with Nemo make the pavilion an actual marine pavilion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom