Soarin's Cherry Picker

EvanAnderson

Original Poster
I took a CM backstage tour of Soarin and found out that each theater has a cherry picker built inside of it. The picker was brought in and the building was built around it, so it can never leave. It's painted all black, and sits opposite of the Tower (where the CM in the theater monitors the ride). It's there as a last resort to get guests down if the carriages won't/can't come down on their own.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I took a CM backstage tour of Soarin and found out that each theater has a cherry picker built inside of it. The picker was brought in and the building was built around it, so it can never leave. It's painted all black, and sits opposite of the Tower (where the CM in the theater monitors the ride). It's there as a last resort to get guests down if the carriages won't/can't come down on their own.

Interesting. What happens if the cherry picker breaks and they need to bring in a new one? :shrug:

Sounds a bit strange that they would have to build around it.

dmc493

well they definitely cant roll a new one in through the queue! maybe some backstage warehouse type doors??? maybe they just hope they dont break..

Cold71

Very cool, I can also tell you that the guy who does the voice while your in line waiting is Patrick Warburton who does a lot of cartoon voice overs but the role he is most known for is Joe Swanson on Family Guy.

raven

They mostly use it to vacuum the screens:

0903100422.jpg

0903100107b.jpg

Rob562

They mostly use it to vacuum the screens:

0903100422.jpg

0903100107b.jpg

That would've been my guess on what they use it for, plus perhaps visual inspection of the ride system that they can't get to from within.

There would have to be a *very* major mechanical problem in order for the carriages to not be able to lower to the ground. I think they're raised by horizontal pistons, which would only have to have a couple drain valves opened in order for them to settle down via gravity.

-Rob

raven

That would've been my guess on what they use it for, plus perhaps visual inspection of the ride system that they can't get to from within.

There would have to be a *very* major mechanical problem in order for the carriages to not be able to lower to the ground. I think they're raised by horizontal pistons, which would only have to have a couple drain valves opened in order for them to settle down via gravity.

-Rob

They have several catwalks and ladders that they use to gain access to these areas as well. The main one being directly above and behind the carriages where the bulk of the mechanics are. The other one near the projection room is 60' above the ride itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom