Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

TP2000

I don't really love the way Soarin' looks now at DCA. It isn't bad, but it's kind of bad, compared to what it was. People will probably call me crazy because I guess it's clearer/sharper, there's no print damage, whatever. Although defects in the screen were apparently not repaired? I don't know how to explain it or what it is I'm looking at, but it appears to be dings in the middle and off to the sides of the screen..

DCA's Soarin' had all new screens installed, actually. They had to for the 4K system. You can tell they are brand new and slightly different after the ride when you can walk up to the edge of the theater.

I'm not a cinematographer, but I think the new digital 4K version of Soarin' Over California at DCA is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the old film version. The film was just looking really cheesy, and obviously film, even if there weren't dust bunnies floating around. Most people's eyes are now adjusted to expect HD digital images, and an old film looks just... old.

TP2000

This is obviously not going to be anything like experiencing the new digital version in person, even if you have a HD computer screen and watch this in 1080p speed from YouTube, but...

It does give a good idea of how crisp and clear the new HD Soarin' Over California is at Disneyland. Not a dust bunny, or scratch, or blotch, or flicker to be found. Watch in at least 720p for best effect.

180º

It is wonderfully in-focus, clean, and smooth, but what's harder to tell from a video is how dim, low-contrast, and low-resolution it is for being an OmnIMAX screen.

TP2000

It is wonderfully in-focus, clean, and smooth, but what's harder to tell from a video is how dim, low-contrast, and low-resolution it is for being an OmnIMAX screen.

That's not the first time I've heard that comment, either regarding Soarin' or other "digital" conversions.

But what does that mean to us amateurs? :confused:

I've ridden the new HD Soarin' a couple times now since it reopened last week, after riding both versions in WDW and Disneyland many, many times since the attraction opened in 2001. And I'm just a guy with average vision, but don't wear glasses, and I upgraded my home TV's to digital years ago and now have a big 4K Samsung in the TV room. But all I can see when I ride the new digital version of this attraction is a radically clearer and crisper and more vibrant picture. It looks dramatically improved to my eye, and I hear similar chatter from other people about how great it now looks each time I've exited the theater.

The only thing that looks bad to my eye in the digital update are the CGI additions from the 1999 version of the original film; the fake hang glider over Yosemite, and Tinkerbell at the end. Those look really fake now because they are so clear and crisp and the rest of the picture looks so great.

What am I missing that I was supposed to see in the old OmniMax film version? All I see is dramatic, crystal clear improvement.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's too dark and the black levels/contrast are bad. I really didn't like how the surfing scene looked and the LA/Disneyland scenes at the end had crushed blacks galore. You can actually see what I'm talking about in that video. Most people probably won't be bothered by it, but I was.

My bigger issue with Soarin' that has never been addressed and probably never will be is that they never attempted to hide the fact that you go into a room and watch a movie on a screen in chairs that rise on a mechanism. I mean, you can literally see how everything works and there's never an attempt at an illusion. Star Tours maintains the illusion that you're going in a starship, for instance. The lighting as you board the vehicle doesn't make the technology behind it apparent. A door opens to reveal the cockpit/windshield when the time is right. Back to the Future: The Ride (RIP) had you in this garage enclosure with smoke, which you rose out of as the film started, again never making the technology behind it obvious. Why didn't they bother with Soarin'?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It's too dark and the black levels/contrast are bad. I really didn't like how the surfing scene looked and the LA/Disneyland scenes at the end had crushed blacks galore. You can actually see what I'm talking about in that video. Most people probably won't be bothered by it, but I was.
Taking into consideration that the only exposure that I have had to the new technology is the video above, one thing that I really did notice as that if it is darker and not just a product of reproduction over the internet a very good plus came out of it. The dangling feet in front of you are no where near as prominent as in the past. If Soarin has a flaw, the foot fence is the main one for me. So if that took care of the problem, count me in as a supporter.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
70mm film on the negative or even the printed frame does have more resolution than 4K digital; however, the one thing that gets neglected is that film is in motion. Gate judder in the projector negates a significant portion of the resolution advantage of film.

Digital projection doesn't have any bounce to the image and every frame is pixel perfect.

Projected image to projected image... 4K comes close to 70mm on most projection systems in terms of resolution. It's safe to say that with Disney Parks film handling history with all of their attractions, 4K Soarin' will smack down 70mm dusty, juddery, lamp flickery presentations any day of the week.

I for one welcome our digital projection overlords as it will take Disney maintenance out of the equation.

Of course the proof is in the pudding and I'll see Soarin' over California again no later than August. I'll let you know my thoughts then.

Erm no it will not take maintenance out of the picture the lenses and the imager still need to be cleaned the imager especially, but it will not happen so the dust bunnies will be back, the lamps will not be replaced until they burn out etc

DisneyCane

Erm no it will not take maintenance out of the picture the lenses and the imager still need to be cleaned the imager especially, but it will not happen so the dust bunnies will be back, the lamps will not be replaced until they burn out etc

The imagers are sealed. There is no regular cleaning of those. Also, if you don't replace a high power xenon bulb before it actually burns out, you are risking VERY expensive projector damage from the bulb exploding.

DisneyCane

The only thing that looks bad to my eye in the digital update are the CGI additions from the 1999 version of the original film; the fake hang glider over Yosemite, and Tinkerbell at the end. Those look really fake now because they are so clear and crisp and the rest of the picture looks so great.

What am I missing that I was supposed to see in the old OmniMax film version? All I see is dramatic, crystal clear improvement.

You are missing tons of detail in the black levels. It is especially true in dark scenes but just as important in dark areas of bright scenes. The shame is that currently available laser projectors can get incredible black levels but Disney (and this is Anaheim) decided to cheap out on this "upgrade."

I don't think Tinkerbell exactly looked "real" in the film version either! :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The imagers are sealed. There is no regular cleaning of those. Also, if you don't replace a high power xenon bulb before it actually burns out, you are risking VERY expensive projector damage from the bulb exploding.

No the images are not sealed they have forced air cooling otherwise they would melt, as to not replacing bulbs in projectors. Disney traditionally seems to run projector bulbs beyond their expected lifetime

Is the imager a user maintenance item no it's not but it still needs maintenance which it will not get at WDW if the condition of the IMAX system is any indicator

RSoxNo1

No the images are not sealed they have forced air cooling otherwise they would melt, as to not replacing bulbs in projectors. Disney traditionally seems to run projector bulbs beyond their expected lifetime

Is the imager a user maintenance item no it's not but it still needs maintenance which it will not get at WDW if the condition of the IMAX system is any indicator
Uncle Orville invented Air Cooling.

DisneyCane

The DLP chips are cooled using heat sinks on the back. The cooling air is filtered as well. I have to check the particular Barco projectors that IMAX uses but I'm pretty sure the light engine is sealed. I've seen what dust looks like with much less magnification on a 65" DLP TV (when I changed my chip). If dust is on the imager chips of a DLP projector being magnified to movie screen size, there will be giant blotches all over the place. I know that movie theatres don't go above an beyond for maintenance and I have never seen this on any movie screen and I've seen at least 30 movies in digital projection in the last few years.

DisneyCane

This is obviously not going to be anything like experiencing the new digital version in person, even if you have a HD computer screen and watch this in 1080p speed from YouTube, but...

It does give a good idea of how crisp and clear the new HD Soarin' Over California is at Disneyland. Not a dust bunny, or scratch, or blotch, or flicker to be found. Watch in at least 720p for best effect.

One thing that sticks out is that unless California lights the screen blue during liftoff, you can clearly see how horrible the black levels are.

I just wish that they would have done this upgrade right and used laser projectors. Who knows, maybe the price will come down enough by the time they upgrade Epcot and they will do it. Disney should push the envelope for the best possible picture quality, especially in a ride that is supposed to simulate reality.

Todd H

The horseback riders in the desert are almost impossible to see because of the poor black levels. Could be the camera used to record. Could be the projectors need a good professional-grade calibration. Would have to see it in person before making a final judgement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom