Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Mawg

Not blowing my own trumpet, but about what I wrote earlier about the third theatre access.

Goofyer and myself are correct.

As far as math goes you both are correct, good job.

As far as Disney goes, you both are wrong as you are only thinking about the standby line wait times. Fast Pass Plus will be allocated to 100% more guests. This may reduce the wait times of the standby line or more people will ride twice. The standby line will move at the same speed as it did before as I do not think they will allocate additional capacity towards standby.

RSoxNo1

Not blowing my own trumpet, but about what I wrote earlier about the third theatre access.

Goofyer and myself are correct.
OK, so essentially at the current merge point there will be a 3rd option that's straight ahead? Is that how you're understanding it?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

As far as math goes you both are correct, good job.

As far as Disney goes, you both are wrong as you are only thinking about the standby line wait times. Fast Pass Plus will be allocated to 100% more guests. This may reduce the wait times of the standby line or more people will ride twice. The standby line will move at the same speed as it did before as I do not think they will allocate additional capacity towards standby.
Yea, but wouldn't the allocation of 100% more people with FP+ coupled with an extra theater still move the masses faster then not having the third theater? First off, I don't think that they will increase it 100%, at least not at first. The difference is what they do with the merge point. If they do like they do now and have a place back from the final location where the FP and SB merge then it will still be quicker, but, not a whole lot, especially for standby. If they have a separate line up to load for FP and SB then both will move at a quicker pace.

I mean the SB line would be smaller because more FP's are available and if they do what someone suggested and have a theater just for SB, then that will move along at a much steadier pace. I still question the percentages that are quoted. 80%+ for Fastpass, means the 20% or less would be standby. Check out the difference between the traffic going up the FP line and that of Standby. That queue is almost a lonely walk in a dark forest. All by yourself walking and walking to get to the merge line.

Even with just one theater designated for standby that amounts to 87 people every 10 minutes or so. So 174 people are either riding or setting up in the final queue every 10 minutes for each theater. That's 1040 (plus or minus) per hour either riding or next waiting in the preshow for a 5 minute ride, and that's just one theater (Times 3 with three operating theaters or 3120 per hour.) Seems like that should be sufficient to handle almost all the crowd and at worst the wait time for either FP or SB should be quite livable. If anyone is thinking that this change will make Soarin a walk on needs to submit to a reality check. It is a popular ride with or without added attractions in the park the same number of people will want to go to it.

Last edited:

Unplugged

Fast Pass Plus will be allocated to 100% more guests.

Just curious as to how 100% was determined or was that a sourced statement? The new theater will only add 50% more capacity total. I don't know the current percentages of FP+/SB, but increasing FP+ 100% would bite into the current SB capacity. Seeing what I do and confirming Goofyernmost's experiences with the line, I don't see the FP+ capacity changing at all.

The current merge line works the same way as Mission: Space. depending on which theaters are open, seasonal crowd, etc. they can load balance each theater with the instantaneous demand of FP+/SB. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I highly doubt a theater would be dedicated to either. Just not a good practice for capacity management. IMHO of course.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just curious as to how 100% was determined or was that a sourced statement? The new theater will only add 50% more capacity total. I don't know the current percentages of FP+/SB, but increasing FP+ 100% would bite into the current SB capacity. Seeing what I do and confirming Goofyernmost's experiences with the line, I don't see the FP+ capacity changing at all.

The current merge line works the same way as Mission: Space. depending on which theaters are open, seasonal crowd, etc. they can load balance each theater with the instantaneous demand of FP+/SB. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I highly doubt a theater would be dedicated to either. Just not a good practice for capacity management. IMHO of course.
I would have to agree. If you dedicate a theater to FP+ only, what happens when only 50 people come into the FP+ line during a 5 minute period? Then that theater is either sitting there waiting for the extra people to show up, or it goes without a full load. Not something that Disney would want. I just can't see them changing the FP+ percentages, but we know they haven't always done what we thought they might!

wdw71fan

constructed as so:

DxGed0U.jpg

MonorailLover

I would have to agree. If you dedicate a theater to FP+ only, what happens when only 50 people come into the FP+ line during a 5 minute period? Then that theater is either sitting there waiting for the extra people to show up, or it goes without a full load. Not something that Disney would want. I just can't see them changing the FP+ percentages, but we know they haven't always done what we thought they might!

I agree, but I guess it could be possible to add more FP+ availabilities, thus hopefully increasing FP attendies per period.

I think it'll be merged though, it does seem the smarter way.

RSoxNo1

What this will do is make it so 2 theaters are "more or less" dedicated to Fastpass, but there's no reason for them to arrange the line in a way that this has to be adhered to all the time. Fastpass distribution is typically 65-70% of capacity. If the merge point allows you to send guests to one of 3 theaters, there's no real reason to reconfigure the line when it's not needed.

Conversely, the queue for Toy Story Mania very well may have to be reconfigured as a result of the 3rd track. That explains why they may have been doing the Fastpass+ only test to see when they sent out empty cars.

MonorailLover

What this will do is make it so 2 theaters are "more or less" dedicated to Fastpass, but there's no reason for them to arrange the line in a way that this has to be adhered to all the time. Fastpass distribution is typically 65-70% of capacity. If the merge point allows you to send guests to one of 3 theaters, there's no real reason to reconfigure the line when it's not needed.

Conversely, the queue for Toy Story Mania very well may have to be reconfigured as a result of the 3rd track. That explains why they may have been doing the Fastpass+ only test to see when they sent out empty cars.

I agree with reconfiguring the queue for Toy Story, especially with whatever change will have to be made with the track system to work with the third line.

DisneyCane

That is highly unlikely to happen except at the very beginning of the day. Have you seen the typical FP+ line for Soarin'? I don't think I've ever gone straight in without being stopped briefly at the merge point. On other rides this could be an issue or at a park with more to do but at Epcot with Soarin', if you distributed the full capacity of 2 theatres as FP+, I don't think they'd have trouble filling every seat after the first 2 or 3 show cycles.

DisneyCane

The new theatre is slightly different dimensions than the current ones. Slightly narrower but deeper with more of a curved screen.

Don't forget the exit corridor! It'll tie in with Concourse 2s exit just outside its doors.

Any idea why they didn't just clone the other 2?

Marlins1

That is highly unlikely to happen except at the very beginning of the day. Have you seen the typical FP+ line for Soarin'? I don't think I've ever gone straight in without being stopped briefly at the merge point. On other rides this could be an issue or at a park with more to do but at Epcot with Soarin', if you distributed the full capacity of 2 theatres as FP+, I don't think they'd have trouble filling every seat after the first 2 or 3 show cycles.
True and if it does happen at all they will just let standby people enter the FP+ theaters.

180º

The new theatre is slightly different dimensions than the current ones. Slightly narrower but deeper with more of a curved screen.
That's curious. My best wild guess is that the left and right ride mechanisms will be parallel with the center, while only the benches themselves will be angled toward the screen...? Will there be a noticeable difference?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom