Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

doctornick

That's the thing.

Both parks have had a time period when they weren't underdeveloped.

Personally, I think DHS was always underdeveloped. Yeah, the (original) Backlot Tour was time consuming, but there wasn't much else to do when that was a big part of the day and it wasn't something that was great for repeat guests.

I don't think DHS have ever come close to being a fully realized park. Unlike Epcot, which has clearly fallen over the years, DHS has always been subpar. It's just now it is crappy in different ways from its early years.

Mike S

I believe so. Information was sketchy but part of the storyline included the extinction. It's unclear if this would be apart of a progression in the diorama or on screen. From what I can tell the 1982 infrastructure would have been reused.
One thing they could do is make some new AA's that are more scientifically accurate. As nostalgic and great as the original AA's are, Allosaurus did not stand upright. Pretty sure there's other problems too.

Last edited:

ArtificialArtist

Soarin' over the land is pretty much the funnest thing in the whole world and much, much better than singing fruits, Spaceship Boring, and the American History Lecture that you love so much. And don't start to lecture me about all the moldy, oldy, sit still and look at stuff attractions that needed to be bulldozed so I could Blast Off to Space!, ride fast in Space Car, and store stuff for the Festival of Flowers and Yum, Yum, Drinky Town.

Do you do backflips while you are strapped into one of the Soarin`seats or what do you mean by "sit still" ? Mission: Space is the most boring attraction i've ever been on. So it spins around while the chamber tilts around.. big deal.
it's actually a customized merry-go-round with walls and a screen with terribly outdated CGI..
You sit, and you watch a screen.. exact same thing as what you complain about..

DisneyDebRob

I won't turn this into an imagineering thread, but there were plans for both pavilions to return to the grand scale of their original versions with all the drama, audio and visual effects and sheer brilliance that they once had. Adjusted for more modern day expectations and audiences. Needless to say they took the cheaper option.
Which was... Nothing? Definetly the cheaper route,unfortunately.

note2001

If you add 2 theaters the line will move twice as fast - a 100% increase - and the wait time will be reduced by 50%. One theatre will reduce the wait time by a third but the line will move 50% faster. One ratio compares to the original speed the other compares to the new total capacity. Once again, sorry for even starting this but the line really will move 50% faster than it does now which should make even long waits more tolerable.

I think we're all saying the same thing in different ways, looking at it from different angles.

From my ie (he does this exact problem over and over again almost daily, but looking at production lines and changing machines and manpower out for orders):

Capacity increases by 50%.
And if it was the same volume of people coming though it would reduce waits by 33%. But you have to assume that no additional volume is coming through for the new theater or potential new film.​

Also, the line would indeed move 50% faster than it does now, which is to say our feet will be shuffling along at a faster rate overall, but once we're packed into the "stand on your number" waiting queue area we still have to wait out the entire show for the group that just entered ahead of us. That stand still wait will be the same unless the new film is shorter (I hope it's the same length as the current show.)

At least the theme music is awesome.
Yes! Have it on my phone and computer... hmmm... time to play some FW tunes

Last edited:

kylewr86

I think we're all saying the same thing in different ways, looking at it from different angles.

From my ie (he does this exact problem over and over again almost daily, but looking at production lines and changing machines and manpower out for orders):

Capacity increases by 50%.
And if it was the same volume of people coming though it would reduce waits by 33%. But you have to assume that no additional volume is coming through for the new theater or potential new film.​

Also, the line would indeed move 50% faster than it does now, which is to say our feet will be shuffling along at a faster rate overall, but once we're packed into the "stand on your number" waiting queue area we still have to wait out the entire show for the group that just entered ahead of us. That stand still wait will be the same unless the new film is shorter (I hope it's the same length as the current show.)

Yes! Have it on my phone and computer... hmmm... time to play some FW tunes

Im no math wiz but this math doesnt seem to add up. Hurts my head. Is the wait 33% or 50%. If volume increased by 33% then wouldnt the wait also decrease by the same #?

note2001

Im no math wiz but this math doesnt seem to add up. Hurts my head. Is the wait 33% or 50%. If volume increased by 33% then wouldnt the wait also decrease by the same #?

Each number is correct, in it's own specific way. That's the trick, and why we have industrial engineers to figure this all out when places like Disney start playing around with other parameters.

The wait time is 33% less IF all elements of the equation remain constant other than the addition of a theater (assuming the theater is the same size as the prior two)
However, demand will increase once everyone is aware there's a third theater and there's a new film too. So... it's probably safe to assume on the average day we'll still be looking at 1hr+ wait times if we don't have fast passes.

As for the 50%: that's just how fast we'll be shuffling along in the waiting queue as compared to before. With three different areas to file us off to instead of two, if we were averaging 1 kph in line, we should be averaging 1.5 kph :) (this is a bit too fast for reality, but made for nice numbers)

These numbers apply to TSM also where they're adding the third track. However, unless there's something we don't know, it should be the same ride experience just a third loading area.

Last edited:

Unplugged

The line will only move 50% faster under the assumption that NO additional guests get in the lines. However, as we all know, the FP+ capacity will be increased and thus more people will be in the line. Also, if they publicize the new movie in anyway, that ride will be packed like opening day. I'd venture to say, if you factor in the FP+ increases, even without a new movie, you're likely to only see a 35% improvement at best.

IMHO of course.

note2001

Also, if they publicize the new movie in anyway, that ride will be packed like opening day. I'd venture to say, if you factor in the FP+ increases, even without a new movie, you're likely to only see a 35% improvement at best.

Let's plan now to take a road trip to Disney corporate, find the person in charge of publicizing the new Soarin' film and ship him to Antartica until 6 months after 9/30/2016. No one but us and 100,000 of our closest internet friends need to know about the upgrade. ;) ...We might have to do something about the Vloggers too...

ArtificialArtist

If an update does happen I would love if the music would stay, but odds are it would change. Oh well, small price to pay for an overall better attraction.

Hm yes the theme is good, but i would also like to see some of the old theme music return.
I like the UoE song (funnily enough i hated it as a kid).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom