Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

aaronml

This technological marvel would be as opposed to the nearly impossible threading of the other film in the projector and switching the soundtrack and motion control metadata between films. Nobody ever achieved that except the 100+ IMAX film theatres that did it for 40 years.

Also, I'm guessing it isn't a push of a button. More likely several presses on a touchscreen. I highly doubt they installed a "California or World" toggle button!

The only real advantage to going digital is getting rid of the dust issue (which I still don't understand why they had when normal IMAX film theatres didn't). If they would have gone with laser projectors, you'd get better brightness and color gamut as well. As far as I've seen they are just using the normal IMAX 4K Xenon lamp projectors.
The biggest issue will the scents. SOC and SATW use different scents, and so while it may be easy to change which film is projected, changing the scents requires a bit more work. They could still have SOC running in one theater though. All in all, I don't expect SATW to flop, quite the opposite actually, but we shall see :) .

CarlFredricksen

The biggest issue will the scents. SOC and SATW use different scents, and so while it may be easy to change which film is projected, changing the scents requires a bit more work. They could still have SOC running in one theater though. All in all, I don't expect SATW to flop, quite the opposite actually, but we shall see :) .

I would assume they use different scents, but how do you know this to be certain until we have seen and experienced it?
Also, I was in DCA last week and the orange scent was absent from the scene there. There was no scent at all. So maybe in DCA they are eliminating all scents to accommodate the ability to switch from on to the other?

lazyboy97o

I hope so. The Epcot projection room broke IMAX house rules by not being environmentally self supporting.
The beauty of laser projectors is that they do not require such strict environmental control as there is no film to get dirty. The equipment needs to be properly cooled but laser projects can even have that equipment located somewhere besides a traditional projector room.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The beauty of laser projectors is that they do not require such strict environmental control as there is no film to get dirty. The equipment needs to be properly cooled but laser projects can even have that equipment located somewhere besides a traditional projector room.
I confess I'm not at speed with these. What optics are involved?

aaronml

I would assume they use different scents, but how do you know this to be certain until we have seen and experienced it?
Also, I was in DCA last week and the orange scent was absent from the scene there. There was no scent at all. So maybe in DCA they are eliminating all scents to accommodate the ability to switch from on to the other?
I can't say with 100% certainty that the scents will be different, but from what I have heard, it is most likely the case. Combine that with the fact that they changed the score, and I would say that I am around 90% confident that the scents will be different. Also, from the location information that has been disclosed so far, the orange scent seems somewhat unlikely. I am surprised however that TDA would be running Soarin' in Anaheim without the orange scent intentionally. The orange scent is definitely an iconic part of the SOC experience. Does anyone know for a fact if the missing orange scent in intentional in DCA? I know personally there have been times when I rode Soarin' in Orlando and the scents weren't as strong as normal, so maybe this is just a case of the Orange scent canister being low/empty?

jt04

I confess I'm not at speed with these. What optics are involved?

All I know is that people rave about this tech in the states. There are only a handful of these so far, mostly on the west coast and the reviews are always over the top as to how beautiful the cinematography is. Just my two cents.

co10064

Premium Member
I can't say with 100% certainty that the scents will be different, but from what I have heard, it is most likely the case. Combine that with the fact that they changed the score, and I would say that I am around 90% confident that the scents will be different. Also, from the location information that has been disclosed so far, the orange scent seems somewhat unlikely. I am surprised however that TDA would be running Soarin' in Anaheim without the orange scent intentionally. The orange scent is definitely an iconic part of the SOC experience. Does anyone know for a fact if the missing orange scent in intentional in DCA? I know personally there have been times when I rode Soarin' in Orlando and the scents weren't as strong as normal, so maybe this is just a case of the Orange scent canister being low/empty?
A few people who have recently visited DCA has reported the scents turned off... I would reason that this has to do with the upcoming film switch

aaronml

A few people who have recently visited DCA has reported the scents turned off... I would reason that this has to do with the upcoming film switch
That is very disappointing that TDA would sacrifice guest experience like that without even acknowledging it publicly, — to a certain extent it could even be considered false advertising.

No Name

Will there even be scents for this new film? Has there been confirmation of that? It's totally possible they'll cheap out a bit and drop the scents. It would be a bad choice because, for the relatively low cost, it does greatly enhance the ride. But I haven't read or seen anything to confirm scents. If I missed that, please let me know.

Also, does anyone have any solid idea if the queue is changing?

jt04

Will there even be scents for this new film? Has there been confirmation of that? It's totally possible they'll cheap out a bit and drop the scents. It would be a bad choice because, for the relatively low cost, it does greatly enhance the ride. But I haven't read or seen anything to confirm scents. If I missed that, please let me know.

Also, does anyone have any solid idea if the queue is changing?

Scents are confirmed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom