Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

HarrisburgMouse

Interesting note at the end of today's MiceChat update from DCA:

The original Soarin’ Over California film will remain as an option on the upgraded projector system, ready to be flipped on with just the push of a button thanks to the new digital format. If the Soarin’ Around The World global film flops with American audiences, TDA has already proposed turning one theater back into the original California film while the second theater plays the Around The World movie.

Goofyernmost

I have often wished Disney had taken the opportunity of the soarin' building structure to make it look like Canada had mountains behind it.
In a geographical sense... Soarin is a long way from Canada in the park. Even if they did that it would only be useful from a very limited number of places and that would be the back center of World Showcase. Any other angle wouldn't visually line up. It may look like it is close, but, it isn't.

RSoxNo1

The original Soarin’ Over California film will remain as an option on the upgraded projector system, ready to be flipped on with just the push of a button thanks to the new digital format. If the Soarin’ Around The World global film flops with American audiences, TDA has already proposed turning one theater back into the original California film while the second theater plays the Around The World movie.
Interestingly enough, the demand for the old film would likely be lower in Florida, but they could accommodate it if they so chose. It's certainly nice to have the option, but I suspect that the option won't at least for at least the first summer.

Mike S

Nice option for DCA but Epcot should keep ATW in all theaters. Fits the park better.

azox

I just think Tokyo's hang glider looks so out of place in that picture, with not only a present-day family sitting in it, but also with present-day hot air balloons in the background. I like it though, I really do, it just looks so strikingly different.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

But the ride is clearly getting original hang gliders when they could've easily saved the money and just used the design of the existing ones. So maybe there's a chance they'll film more new scenes while they're out filming their ending. With OLC it's far from impossible.

I wonder if the new gliders hide the feet of people flying above you better :)

RSoxNo1

It's nice to know that the option exists, be it for a promotion or for a permanent run. If Tokyo gets a different film that would present a 3rd option which is also intriguing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In a geographical sense... Soarin is a long way from Canada in the park. Even if they did that it would only be useful from a very limited number of places and that would be the back center of World Showcase. Any other angle wouldn't visually line up. It may look like it is close, but, it isn't.
It would have been nice to try, given its only an issue from China to Italy. Given the detail and planning that went into the Canadian mountains in the first place go away blue doesn't cut it (and it was noticed by the in laws on their first visit without it being pointed out)

JohnWD

It would have been nice to try, given its only an issue from China to Italy. Given the detail and planning that went into the Canadian mountains in the first place go away blue doesn't cut it (and it was noticed by the in laws on their first visit without it being pointed out)
Undoubtedly they wouldn't be your in-laws if they weren't very observant at Disney parks! :)

doctornick

I doubt they'd re-add California to Epcot once Around the World starts, but I wouldn't be opposed to Cali in one theater and World in the other two.

DisneyCane

This technological marvel would be as opposed to the nearly impossible threading of the other film in the projector and switching the soundtrack and motion control metadata between films. Nobody ever achieved that except the 100+ IMAX film theatres that did it for 40 years.

Also, I'm guessing it isn't a push of a button. More likely several presses on a touchscreen. I highly doubt they installed a "California or World" toggle button!

The only real advantage to going digital is getting rid of the dust issue (which I still don't understand why they had when normal IMAX film theatres didn't). If they would have gone with laser projectors, you'd get better brightness and color gamut as well. As far as I've seen they are just using the normal IMAX 4K Xenon lamp projectors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom