Soarin' done better in Washington

Phroobar

Original Poster
I came across this video about the new Wings over Washington ride at Pier 57 (Miners Landing) in downtown Seattle, Washington. The new ride is a Soaring over California-type ride but with the state of Washington as it's theme. It is highly themed with AA figures, a ranger station setting and holograms. It really puts Disney to shame.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I came across this video about the new Wings over Washington ride at Pier 57 (Miners Landing) in downtown Seattle, Washington. The new ride is a Soaring over California-type ride but with the state of Washington as it's theme. It is highly themed with AA figures, a ranger station setting and holograms. It really puts Disney to shame.

So what was it like riding it compared to Soarin?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I went on it a couple of weeks ago and its ok, just above a meh it. The normal weather in the area isnt reflected in the film at all, just the 6 weeks that are normally not overcast. It does beat fish tossing at the market, but watching the fish fly doesn't cost $17 a pop.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Question:

Since you are actually in the state of Washington, couldn't you actually, ya know, go see these places yourself instead of paying $17 to see it on a screen?

Of course, you could have said the same thing about the original Soarin' when you actually rode it in Cali instead of the Epcot version.

TP2000

Question:

Since you are actually in the state of Washington, couldn't you actually, ya know, go see these places yourself instead of paying $17 to see it on a screen?

Of course, you could have said the same thing about the original Soarin' when you actually rode it in Cali instead of the Epcot version.

I lived in Seattle for all of the 1970's. I saw most of Washington state back then, and highlights in subsequent visits in the last 30 years. It's a gorgeous corner of the country, with some jaw-dropping scenery and natural wonders.

Washington is one of only about a half dozen states in the union that could really pull off one of these "Soarin' Over" type experiences with a wide diversity of scenery. The others are California, Montana, Utah, maybe Arizona and Oregon, and perhaps... well I was going to say maybe Colorado (although that one would be very heavy on mountains, and more mountains, and look! more mountains looming over the wheat fields east of Denver).

There's a few other states that have wonderful scenery, but it's all the same type of wonderful scenery without much diversity and thus their Soarin' Over movie would be done in about 45 seconds. (Maine comes to mind here) Then there's about 35 other states where wonderful, hard-working, patriotic Americans live, but unfortunately the scenery just doesn't lend itself to any sort of grand Soarin' Over type attraction.

That said, this Wings Over Washington ride looks clever and fun. Although obviously it's on a dramatically smaller scale than Disney's version. If they are charging 17 bucks, I'd have to think about that, but perhaps would do it just to say I did. Although if you are on a budget, 17 bucks when I'm in that part of town would go a much longer way if you spent it on fish n' chips at Ivar's (with half the fries thrown to the seagulls) and then maybe bought some shrunken head novelty item at Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe next door. I assume this is all withing walking distance of Ivar's and the Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, right?

And the ferry terminal is also nearby, which is a thrilling and scenic way to spend a couple hours. How much is a round trip walk-on ticket for the Seattle-Bremerton ferry nowadays? It can't be more than 17 bucks, can it?

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
So it's all about price. How much is Soaring around the World or Soaring over California worth without a line? Would you pay $17 for one ride on that?

PacNWTigger

The ferry to Bremerton would be about $22 for car and passenger. We were just up there a month ago, and I didn't notice any kind of advertising for this thing. Does anybody know where it's located because I didn't see it down on the pier area.

SSG

The ferry to Bremerton would be about $22 for car and passenger. We were just up there a month ago, and I didn't notice any kind of advertising for this thing. Does anybody know where it's located because I didn't see it down on the pier area.
Next to the Great Wheel on Pier 57.

Darkbeer1

Phroobar

Original Poster
So Soaring is as copied and un-unique experience as Star Tours flight simulators are. So much for riding a dragon in Avatar land. That MF ride better be something completely different.

dweezil78

So Soaring is as copied and un-unique experience as Star Tours flight simulators are. So much for riding a dragon in Avatar land. That MF ride better be something completely different.

It's not about the technology, it's about the experience created with it. The same thing could have been said with something like going to a movie theater or reading a book.

Phroobar

Original Poster
It's not about the technology, it's about the experience created with it. The same thing could have been said with something like going to a movie theater or reading a book.
All the examples shown are basically just fly over some scenery in a tilting chair in the air. How are these different from Disney's version except better themed in some cases?

dweezil78

All the examples shown are basically just fly over some scenery in a tilting chair in the air. How are these different from Disney's version except better themed in some cases?

They're not... (although the Wings Over Washington room is far better themed than any Soarin!) But you don't really think Disney is just going to put up some new flyover scenes from Avatar for their E-ticket and call it a day, do you?

Phroobar

Original Poster
They're not... (although the Wings Over Washington room is far better themed than any Soarin!) But you don't really think Disney is just going to put up some new flyover scenes from Avatar for their E-ticket and call it a day, do you?
I don't put anything pass TDO. They might exactly do that.

Phroobar

Original Poster
True... But Rhode is wayyyy too much of a detail guy to let that happen with this one.
Hopefully. I was pretty disappointed in the Shanghai's queue and ride. Guests are walking through an ancient cave and meet this Power Rangers bad guy that is going to show you the world on this modern erector set looking ride in a warehouse. How did we get from a cave to a warehouse with Sherpas wearing Mickey hats?

dweezil78

Hopefully. I was pretty disappointed in the Shanghai's queue and ride. Guests are walking through an ancient cave and meet this Power Rangers bad guy that is going to show you the world on this modern erector set looking ride in a warehouse. How did we get from a cave to a warehouse with Sherpas wearing Mickey hats?

Yep... with you on that. Big missed opportunity on Soarin in Shanghai to do something new with the on-ride system/theming. Perhaps it was a victim of time and budget in the end, not sure. I really don't think Rohde will let that happen in his project though, he's crazy about that stuff.

FoodRockz

I think it's great that smaller players are investing in themed attractions like this. Looks like they may have even solved the "hanging feet" problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom