So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14: Greatest Hits (Official Hub Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Cap

A Beautiful Mind - Wow, really ambitious concept here! At first I was worried you went too far with it and made it more of a traditional dark ride, but upon reading it more it's definitely NOT your average dark ride! Great way to incorporate the fun house theme and plus it with modern effects and a ride system that honestly reminds me a bit of an updated Adventures Thru Inner Space. Fantastic writing all around and you managed to incorporate the source material of this prompt into the presentation in a very classy way. Well done!

Lab Rat Coaster - So yea, I'm not sure this would be the best as it's obviously a terrifying puke machine, but I have to give you SO MUCH credit for the humor in that presentation. Just for the way you wrote it, even though it wasn't the best or most practical concept I'm going to give this 4/5 extra credit points for giving me a good laugh!

Mean Girls - I appreciate the humor, but it's obvious this isn't a new ride system but one lifted from the original source material just with some new theme and ascetics. It's fun, but for the recycled ride system I have to give it 2/5 extra credit points.

Pit of 1,000 Trials - You know what? With the advent of VR in theme parks mixed with Nintendo being an inevitability in Universal parks, this actually seems like a match made in heaven. I'm not too keen on the actual tech because it doesn't seem like too much of an upgrade from VR that's already available, but it'd definitely be a leap forward for the "Gameplay" element of VR rides. 3.5/5 extra credit points!

The Dueling Hydra - Short and sweet, and sounds fun! Would have liked to have seen either some more detail or some sort of concept drawing laying out the ride system, but you described it well for such a brief proposal. 3/5 extra credit points!

Creativity: 9/10 Interesting use of different IPs and ride systems, and a great incorporation of the prompt's source material!
Realism: 8/10 - I have some concerns with how "portable" the main proposal would be, but all in all very solid realism keeping with the "heightened reality" of the short.
Detail: 8/10 Got the job done very well
Presentation - 8.5/10 Great use of RCT3 and humor!
Team work: 8.5/10 - Not everyone was evenly active, but given the circumstances and the fact that David was on a trip and still managed to submit something still a very valiant team effort!
Total: 42/50
Extra Credit: 12.5/20
Grand Total: 54/70

I don't have time to properly give feedback on Team Younger at the moment, so I'll just present my scores for now so ManEatingWreath has them when he gets off work and does the heavy lifting.

Dynamic Spinner 3.5/5 Extra Credit points
Anti Gravity Tea Cups 2.5/5 Extra Credit points
Wild Mouse 4/5 Extra Credit points
The Big T 4/5 Extra credit points
(Overall probably the strongest batch of extra credit projects of the bunch. Anti gravity tea cups are a bit too sci-fi compared to the rest but they were explained well for the high concept idea it is...)

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8.5/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 8/10
Group Work: 9/10
Extra Credit: 14/20
Grand Total: 56/70

CraniumCommand89

Team Cap

A Beautiful Mind - Wow, really ambitious concept here! At first I was worried you went too far with it and made it more of a traditional dark ride, but upon reading it more it's definitely NOT your average dark ride! Great way to incorporate the fun house theme and plus it with modern effects and a ride system that honestly reminds me a bit of an updated Adventures Thru Inner Space. Fantastic writing all around and you managed to incorporate the source material of this prompt into the presentation in a very classy way. Well done!

Lab Rat Coaster - So yea, I'm not sure this would be the best as it's obviously a terrifying puke machine, but I have to give you SO MUCH credit for the humor in that presentation. Just for the way you wrote it, even though it wasn't the best or most practical concept I'm going to give this 4/5 extra credit points for giving me a good laugh!

Mean Girls - I appreciate the humor, but it's obvious this isn't a new ride system but one lifted from the original source material just with some new theme and ascetics. It's fun, but for the recycled ride system I have to give it 2/5 extra credit points.

Pit of 1,000 Trials - You know what? With the advent of VR in theme parks mixed with Nintendo being an inevitability in Universal parks, this actually seems like a match made in heaven. I'm not too keen on the actual tech because it doesn't seem like too much of an upgrade from VR that's already available, but it'd definitely be a leap forward for the "Gameplay" element of VR rides. 3.5/5 extra credit points!

The Dueling Hydra - Short and sweet, and sounds fun! Would have liked to have seen either some more detail or some sort of concept drawing laying out the ride system, but you described it well for such a brief proposal. 3/5 extra credit points!

Creativity: 9/10 Interesting use of different IPs and ride systems, and a great incorporation of the prompt's source material!
Realism: 8/10 - I have some concerns with how "portable" the main proposal would be, but all in all very solid realism keeping with the "heightened reality" of the short.
Detail: 8/10 Got the job done very well
Presentation - 8.5/10 Great use of RCT3 and humor!
Team work: 8.5/10 - Not everyone was evenly active, but given the circumstances and the fact that David was on a trip and still managed to submit something still a very valiant team effort!
Extra Credit: 12.5/20
Grand Total: 54/70

I don't have time to properly give feedback on Team Younger at the moment, so I'll just present my scores for now so ManEatingWreath has them when he gets off work and does the heavy lifting.

Dynamic Spinner 3.5/5 Extra Credit points
Anti Gravity Tea Cups 2.5/5 Extra Credit points
Wild Mouse 4/5 Extra Credit points
The Big T 4/5 Extra credit points
(Overall probably the strongest batch of extra credit projects of the bunch. Anti gravity tea cups are a bit too sci-fi compared to the rest but they were explained well for the high concept idea it is...)

Realism: 8.5/10
Presentation: 8/10
Group Work: 9/10
Nowhere in the prompt did it say that any of these rides had to be "portable". We were told to go sci-fi crazy with it. So we shouldn't be marked down for that.

No offense to the Big T, but how did that get 4/5 when it was just a picture and 2 sentences, compared to our extra credit projects which were more detailed, but marked lower or even with it? Same with Wild Mouse. I give credit to Space he did roller coaster tycoon for the mouse coaster, but got the same score as someone who just wrote 5 sentences.

JokersWild

Nowhere in the prompt did it say that any of these rides had to be "portable". We were told to go sci-fi crazy with it. So we shouldn't be marked down for that.

No offense to the Big T, but how did that get 4/5 when it was just a picture and 2 sentences, compared to our extra credit projects which were more detailed, but marked lower or even with it? Same with Wild Mouse. I give credit to Space he did roller coaster tycoon for the mouse coaster, but got the same score as someone who just wrote 5 sentences.
I mean, the project was to make rides designed for a carnival, which would naturally include portability, I'd think.

I totally agree with you in terms of the grading, though. Of course, it all boils down to personal taste in the end, I suppose.

spacemt354

Chili's
Maybe I misinterpreted, but I watched the video a good 4-5 times and I thought the purpose of this project was to design rides based on the Centrifuge Brain Project.

There's no denying that several of those rides would make riders very sick and/or injured to put it lightly. :hungover: So making the Lab Mouse coaster a terrifying puke machine was intentional...because that's what most of the Centrifuge Brain Project rides are.

And yeah I was a bit confused on the whole portable thing. Theres no way they are moving that 14 hour ferris wheel in the video :p so I didnt consider it being an aspect of the project.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'll post more detail about Team Younger's grade when I get home
Don't think because I posted my scores without feedback for the sake of MEW moving things along doesn't mean I don't have my reasoning for it.

MANEATINGWREATH

Sorry I'm late. Tonight was an unbelievable assortment of stress and confusion in the workplace. :p You'd think a cold and drizzly Saturday night wouldn't be busy. :banghead: Anyways... I'll have my thoughts up within the next hour. Expect the results and Project Three shortly thereafter.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I actually shadowed an engineering design team working hoverboard tech. A zero gravity chamber may be over the top wording, but in a controlled environment (like a carnival ride), the only really hindrances to zero gravity teacups as described by stevenu is budget. It's still a bit over the top, but with modern technology it is really no more over the top than anything else here. Not a huge deal as I'm happy with how our team did and I know judging can be tough with projects like this, but the know-it-all science geek in me had to point I put lol

MANEATINGWREATH

I'll be honest, folks. This prompt was difficult. Fortunately, everyone did well. Furthermore, I believe you'll all be pleasantly surprised - and rewarded - by the prompt for Project Three - it's roots are almost entirely in Disney. Here's a cryptic teaser...

hatride.gif

But now, we focus on the not-so-fun-stuff...

As with the last round, each project will be scored in the following categories: Creativity (/10), Realism (/10), Detail (/10), Presentation (/10), and Teamwork (/10), totaling out of a possible 50 points. With the optional addition of 20 extra credit points, the maximum score for this round is 70! Let's begin with Team Mist.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Altogether, a solid project that matched the prompt in question. The atmospheric tone found in the overall presentation was a major plus. Upon inspection, each portion appeared well thought out and well executed. The Gyro Shot, Dynamic Coaster and Winged Carousel were highlights on my end. I truly felt as if I was watching a follow-up to the rather bizarre video Tiki had assigned in the prompt. As an outsider to this unique concept, I felt drawn in and hooked from the start. All in all, another stellar project from Team Mist.

Realism: 9/10

I'll have to agree with Tiki here... This project was
surprisingly realistic for such an unrealistic prompt. Needless to say, I'm pleased.

In general, the Upper Downer and the Whirl-Pool yearned for a bit more detail in their overview. Don't get me wrong, the attractions were still great, they just needed a bit more detail for my taste. Despite this one gripe, I felt as if the remainder of the project was well-designed and covered in just enough detail to let the presentation flow. It wasn't overkill. That's not what this project needed to be. Also, these were extra credit, so perhaps I'm being just a bit harsh. The real focal point was the main attraction, not the side pieces.

Presentation: 10/10

Call me a sucker for website presentations, but this one had me hooked. From the thematic introduction by Snoopy to the well-organized, professional and easy-to-navigate website, this was an absolute solid presentation. Again, great work.

Teamwork: 9/10

I'm in agreeance with Tiki. Team Mist is a strong unit with enough contribution and energy from its players to keep running for rounds to come. Everyone carries their weight, and it's great to see things running so smoothly. Great work. @JokersWild and @Basketbuddy101 continue to lead the brainstorming from Round One in a strong fashion. @TrevorA continues to provide intelligent and strong input - and humor.

Extra Credit: 17/20

Extra Credit is what it is: Extra. I'll be a bit lenient in this category, given it is extra credit. However, I'll reinstate my longing for more detail in the Upper Downer and the Whirl-Pool. Had there been just a bit more, this might have been a perfect 20/20.

Total Score: 62/70

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next, we'll take a look at Team Cap.

Creativity: 10/10

Wow! What a great introduction. This project also felt like a perfect continuation of the video prompt in question. A Beautiful World was absolutely fantastic, a perfect centerpiece to the presentation. The attraction was decidedly bizarre, chilling and - well - beautiful, all its own. I'm so glad that you took such a daring route with this prompt because it totally paid off. Your project warrants a solid 10/10 just based on this one attraction. Stellar work, folks, this is something I really enjoyed.

While A Beautiful World was realistic enough, I'm not too sure how Paper Mario and Mean Girls would fit in the same fairground... Then again, this being a carnival, it's not something that really matters. Likewise, the prompt was unrealistic as it is, so for what it is, this presentation was realistic enough.

Detail: 9/10

Great as always. Again, the Lab Mouse coaster and A Beautiful World had a wonderful description. The ride-through in particular for A Beautiful World is something that should set a ride-through template for the remainder of the season, particularly for the next assignment.

Presentation: 9/10

Admittedly, I do prefer your presentation from Round One, but nonetheless, this was a solid presentation. The humor really made the project stand out among the others.

You guys continue to impress me. No matter how hard the goings get, you always manage to pull through and turn in some great work at the deadline. I applaud you once more. Shoutout to @spacemt354 and @Brer Oswald for being huge team players this season. :happy: Keep up the great teamwork here, folks.

Extra Credit: 13/20

The Lab Mouse coaster was hysterical. I did enjoy the Paper Mario attraction, but wish there had it been a bit more detail to it. Also... I'm a bit perplexed by the inclusion of Mean Girls. :hilarious: To be honest, I still don't know how I feel about it. Had there been a bit more detail to it as well, I might be sold on it.

Total Score: 59/70

Lastly, Team Younger. Tiki will post more in-depth feedback for you in the morning, I do have his word on that.

Creativity: 8/10

Altogether, a solid project. It matched the prompt but felt a bit cookie-cutter in concept. While you did think outside the box, I do think that you could have thought even further outside the box for this decidedly wild prompt. This is an instance where I do believe that more would have been better. Nonetheless, the creativity continued to shine here.

Again, I can't really dock points in this category given the unrealistic nature of the prompt. It was realistic enough for what the prompt calls for. In this hypothetical future of vomit-inducing, brain-changing thrills, I still do wish that the ideas were a bit crazier here.

This category is a huge step up from the previous round. Thank you for taking the constructive criticism to heart and running with it. Keep it up, guys. I felt as if there was just the right amount of detail throughout, whether it be in the extra credit or in the main project itself. There were some areas in the extra credit (with the Big T) that could have used a bit more detail, but nonetheless, this is a huge improvement from the last round. Still, give us more in the future.

Presentation: 9/10

Another solid presentation from Team Younger! Seriously, I appreciate that each team went ahead and ran with the idea of continuing with the theme and tone of the video. You guys did an exceptional job with this. Great work and great storytelling. Also, your use of a different font and bold lettering is something we love to see in use throughout the season. Take note.

Once again, things ran smoothly for your team. As with Team Cap and Team Mist, everyone appears to be carrying their weight and no issues seemed to befall you as a unit. Great work. Keep it up.

Extra Credit: 12/20

Okay, there could have been more description for the extra credit. But again, it's extra credit. It isn't required. Thank you for turning something in for it! Whenever you have the opportunity, take it! Solid concepts once again. The ideas were short, sweet and to the point. Just could have used a bit more detail to make it more "short, sweet and to the point."

Total Score: 55/70

Alright, with all that said and done... Let's tally up the scores!

Team Mist: 120/140

Team Cap: 113/140

Team Younger: 111/140

Congratulations to Team Mist! You have won Project Two. This leaves Team Cap in second place, and Team Younger in third. That being said, a difficult decision has been made...

I'm sorry, @MCParradox, but you have been eliminated from SYWTBAI Season 14: Greatest Hits. This was not an easy decision to make, but ultimately it boiled down to activity and contribution to your team. That being said, we hope to work with you again one day and I wish you all the absolute best in your future armchair Imagineering endeavors.

Stay tuned for Project Three!

MANEATINGWREATH

PROJECT THREE: HOLIDAYS CAN BE A REAL NIGHTMARE

- Inspired by the Haunted Mansion Holiday Project of Season Eight -

"Saint Nicholas is not coming this year. Instead, a much darker, ancient spirit. His name is Krampus. He and his helpers did not come to give, but to take. He is the shadow of Saint Nicholas." - Omi, Krampus (2015)

How-Terrifying.gif

In homage to my favorite prompt of Season Eight, we'll step back from the futuristic carnival of Project Two and travel into the moldering sanctum of the spirit world: The Haunted Mansion. For this round, we'll explore the ever-popular, but decidedly controversial advent of a holiday overlay for our favorite Disney spookhouse. But, rather than have each team focus on the same Nightmare Before Christmas prompt of Season Eight, Sandy Claws has prepared a few tricks and treats up his crooked sleeve...

Having opened Walt's Vault, @Basketbuddy101 - I mean, "Sandy Claws" - has unwrapped and re-gifted a unique, frightfully festive prompt for each team to explore. That's right, boys and ghouls... Each team will do something COMPLETELY different, as per Sandy's selection! Hee-hee-hee!

Snowman.gif

Team Mist, you will explore the Haunted Mansion of Liberty Square, found in Walt Disney World. With Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas as your central theme, you are to craft an overlay for the Mansion that takes NO existing scenes, ideas or effects from the existing Nightmare overlays in Anaheim or Tokyo. We are seeking originality in your overlay's design and execution. Essentially, we want you to create an overlay from scratch that still retains the Nightmare Before Christmas colliding with the Haunted Mansion. Here are the rules:

- Each scene in your overlay should share no similarities or features with the existing overlays. No borrowing. However, you can reutilize the concepts found in the existing HMH Ballroom and Graveyard (i.e. snow in the graveyard, the curled hill, a dead tree, etc.). Everything else must be original.
- Create an original, non-IP creature or character to replace the Raven as the ride's unofficial mascot. We want a character that fits the style of Nightmare, but isn't from Nightmare. Scary Teddy, the usual mascot of HMH can be used elsewhere in your overlay.
- We want an old-fashioned ride-through, right down to the dialogue. Take us on this journey with you.

giphy.gif

Team Cap, in tribute to Season Thirteen, your focus is to build a Christmas overlay from scratch for the Haunted Mansion of New Orleans Square, found in Disneyland. To "build from scratch" is to entirely forbid the use of any and all IP's - Nightmare included. We want to see your interpretation of how the 999 happy haunts would celebrate - and decorate - for Christmas without the help of Jack Skellington. Aside from the limited restrictions, this prompt is almost entirely blue sky.

- Originality is key. No IP's. No Tim Burton. Just Team Cap.
- Create an original, non-IP character (or creature) to replace the Raven as the ride's unofficial mascot. We want a character that fits your vision for a Haunted Mansion Christmas.
- The soundtrack, script and narration must all undergo some significant change from the original Mansion.
- We want an old-fashioned ride-through, right down to the dialogue. Take us on this journey with you.

giphy.gif

Lastly, Team Younger. Your prompt, a subtle nod to the Phantom Manor prompt of Season Twelve, is a bit trickier...

From Wikipedia: "Krampus is a horned, anthropomorphic folklore figure described as 'half-goat, half-demon,' who, during the Christmas season, punishes children who have misbehaved, in contrast with Saint Nicholas, who rewards the well-behaved with gifts."Team Younger, you are to cross the Atlantic and create an overlay for Phantom Manor of Frontierland, right in the heart of Disneyland Paris. However, your overlay must focus on Krampus, the anti-Santa of Central European folklore.

- The central theme of your overlay must pertain to the mythical Krampus, and not the 2015 film of the same name (look it up on CinemaSins).
- Remember, Phantom Manor has a prevalent storyline already. How you choose to deal with that storyline is entirely up to you.
- Like the prior prompts, we want an old-fashioned ride-through, right down to the dialogue.
- Create an original, non-IP character (or creature) to replace the Raven as the ride's unofficial mascot. Unlike the Haunted Mansion, the Raven is featured less in Phantom Manor. Keep this in mind.
- Do not borrow from Haunted Mansion Holiday.

tumblr_nz5j7zeEAL1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Also, this round will be a DOUBLE ELIMINATION. This means that the team in second and third place will both lose a contestant. Unlike the past two rounds, we will NOT announce a nominee(s) until the time comes to actually eliminate someone. So, stay on your toes!

Lastly, congratulations to @Basketbuddy101 and @spacemt354 - you have been selected for this round's PoMVP!

Good luck, Teams! I will start the work threads shortly. This most festive project is due on
Saturday, February 25th @ 11:59 PM (ET), 8:59 PM (PT).

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Could Team Younger get the other half of the feedback? I would like to know why we lost.

Keep in mind I was the one who gave Team Younger a higher score than Team Cap (while Mist got the high score from both MEW and I) so my extended feedback won't really go into why you lost, but moreso why I enjoyed your project just a bit more than Caps. It came down to three points, so this was an incredibly close round and goes to show the subjectivity when it comes to judging.

First of all I really like Battle Boats. There were a few times during brainstorming where it was almost scrapped and I was relieved that you kept it every time. It works great as the signature presentation of the project. Takes something incredibly familiar to pretty much anyone who's ever been to an amusement park and pluses it to the extreme while still veering towards the realm of feasibility. Visually speaking this ride would look great as the centerpiece of any traveling carnival!

Dynamic Spinner 3.5/5 Extra Credit Points - A solid proposal. Short and sweet. In general while Team Cap had more detail I felt like the rides presented here were a bit more practical for the most part. Good reference photos for this one and a good concept that marries a classic carnival trope with the Kuka technology that's becoming a mainstay in modern theme parks.

Anti Gravity Tea Cups 2.5/5 Extra Credit points- Not so much a fan of this one. In concept it's really interesting and I believe the science behind it, it's just a bit too out there for me. I totally acknowledge this is one of the most subjective projects we've ever had because of the source material itself being fantastical.

Wild Mouse 4/5 Extra Credit points - I give this a notch above Team Cap's similar proposal because even though Team Cap had more detail to it, I just picture this as a bit more functional and also plays with your senses a bit more and has more of a sense of randomness to it. Both proposals were solid, this one barely edges it out for me.

The Big T 4/5 Extra credit points- What can I say? Yea there's not a ton of detail to it, but again it's a short and sweet proposition that is very easy to picture in your head and would be a unique step forward in drop tower technology. Some times detail isn't everything. It's certainly a good portion of a project, but there's three other categories were looking at when it comes to judging solo stuff.

Creativity: 9/10- Overall a very solid batch of projects.
Realism: 8.5/10 - Outside of the bumper cars which were explained away by a team mate anyways, this all seems like it would fit very well into our world, let alone the heightened reality of the source material.
Detail: 8/10 - Pretty solid all the way around.
Presentation: 8/10 - One little detail that stuck out was that StevenU forgot to delete the "headlining attraction" part of the wild mouse. I see that it's just a small thing he missed so it's totally fine. Maybe would have liked a few more pieces of concept art but overall a solid presentation.
Group Work: 9/10 - Again, this is going to make eliminations REALLY difficult. All seven of you contributed something, but Parradox was MIA for brainstorming thus his unfortunate elimination.

StevenU

Keep in mind I was the one who gave Team Younger a higher score than Team Cap (while Mist got the high score from both MEW and I) so my extended feedback won't really go into why you lost, but moreso why I enjoyed your project just a bit more than Caps. It came down to three points, so this was an incredibly close round and goes to show the subjectivity when it comes to judging.

First of all I really like Battle Boats. There were a few times during brainstorming where it was almost scrapped and I was relieved that you kept it every time. It works great as the signature presentation of the project. Takes something incredibly familiar to pretty much anyone who's ever been to an amusement park and pluses it to the extreme while still veering towards the realm of feasibility. Visually speaking this ride would look great as the centerpiece of any traveling carnival!

Dynamic Spinner 3.5/5 Extra Credit Points - A solid proposal. Short and sweet. In general while Team Cap had more detail I felt like the rides presented here were a bit more practical for the most part. Good reference photos for this one and a good concept that marries a classic carnival trope with the Kuka technology that's becoming a mainstay in modern theme parks.

Anti Gravity Tea Cups 2.5/5 Extra Credit points- Not so much a fan of this one. In concept it's really interesting and I believe the science behind it, it's just a bit too out there for me. I totally acknowledge this is one of the most subjective projects we've ever had because of the source material itself being fantastical.

Wild Mouse 4/5 Extra Credit points - I give this a notch above Team Cap's similar proposal because even though Team Cap had more detail to it, I just picture this as a bit more functional and also plays with your senses a bit more and has more of a sense of randomness to it. Both proposals were solid, this one barely edges it out for me.

The Big T 4/5 Extra credit points- What can I say? Yea there's not a ton of detail to it, but again it's a short and sweet proposition that is very easy to picture in your head and would be a unique step forward in drop tower technology. Some times detail isn't everything. It's certainly a good portion of a project, but there's three other categories were looking at when it comes to judging solo stuff.

Creativity: 9/10- Overall a very solid batch of projects.
Realism: 8.5/10 - Outside of the bumper cars which were explained away by a team mate anyways, this all seems like it would fit very well into our world, let alone the heightened reality of the source material.
Detail: 8/10 - Pretty solid all the way around.
Presentation: 8/10 - One little detail that stuck out was that StevenU forgot to delete the "headlining attraction" part of the wild mouse. I see that it's just a small thing he missed so it's totally fine. Maybe would have liked a few more pieces of concept art but overall a solid presentation.
Group Work: 9/10 - Again, this is going to make eliminations REALLY difficult. All seven of you contributed something, but Parradox was MIA for brainstorming thus his unfortunate elimination.
So disappointing to lose Parradox. There were other people on the team who didn't do anything either. I barely did anything. I really wish he could stay, we lost one of our best players.

And I did the Anti-Gravity ride. Don't get why it got such a low score from you when we were asked to do rides in the future. But thanks for the feedback.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
So disappointing to lose Parradox. There were other people on the team who didn't do anything either. I barely did anything. I really wish he could stay, we lost one of our best players.

And I did the Anti-Gravity ride. Don't get why it got such a low score from you when we were asked to do rides in the future. But thanks for the feedback.

As of right now the eliminations are based on activity in the brainstorming mixed with final contributions to the projects. When doing the math, Parradox was clearly dragging behind in that category. We were actually REALLY impressed with you last project! For someone who's new to this format and gameplay you're definitely warming up to it quickly. Again, it's going to be a big challenge and probably a dramatic affair loosing literally ANYONE in this cast! There's 20 people left, and all 20 of them are completely solid players who have a good shot at winning the whole thing. We've truly NEVER seen this level of competition in the game before!

Again, it was really hard to judge this project as we have to factor in both real world realism and the realism of the fantastical source material. The judges tried our best to make things as fair as we could, but this round became a bit more subjective than judging usually is. For that reason we'll take note and steer clear of similar ambiguous prompts in the future. :)

StevenU

As of right now the eliminations are based on activity in the brainstorming mixed with final contributions to the projects. When doing the math, Parradox was clearly dragging behind in that category. We were actually REALLY impressed with you last project! For someone who's new to this format and gameplay you're definitely warming up to it quickly. Again, it's going to be a big challenge and probably a dramatic affair loosing literally ANYONE in this cast! There's 20 people left, and all 20 of them are completely solid players who have a good shot at winning the whole thing. We've truly NEVER seen this level of competition in the game before!

Again, it was really hard to judge this project as we have to factor in both real world realism and the realism of the fantastical source material. The judges tried our best to make things as fair as we could, but this round became a bit more subjective than judging usually is. For that reason we'll take note and steer clear of similar ambiguous prompts in the future. :)
Is it a round to round basis? harrington did nothing either, and Parradox did the best map I've ever seen last project. What if school takes me away for a week, will you eliminate me? Because our whole body of work in the competition should be considered that's why I think it's not right that Parradox is gone.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Is it a round to round basis? harrington did nothing either, and Parradox did the best map I've ever seen last project. What if school takes me away for a week, will you eliminate me? Because our whole body of work in the competition should be considered that's why I think it's not right that Parradox is gone.

Harrington showed up more in the brainstorming than Parradox did, plus he just came into the game so we wanted to give him at least one round of leeway coming into the contest after a round of people establishing a rapor with each other. It's a round-to-round basis for sure, but we take all factors into consideration including past performances as well as everyone's personal schedule. For example...David announced he was going on a trip on Team Cap so we as judges wouldn't have nominated or eliminated him for something outside his control like that. As long as you communicate to your team and therefore the judges that you'll be busy we'll usually give you a pass. The only exception is if everyone else on the team contributes so much to the finished product that it would be unjustified in eliminating them. Hope that helps. We try to keep things as fair as possible.

spacemt354

Chili's
With such a talented cast -- I think the elimination rules need to be fine tuned to ensure that this type of situation doesn't keep happening where subjectivity decides the entire game. I mean, naturally there will be some form of it -- but having a defined rubric for eliminations could help immensely.

Just imho, I don't think that quantity of brainstorming should be a factor, or if it is, at least not a primary factor. Briefly looking over Younger's thread -- we are talking about one person who posted twice...once to say good job and another to say i don't think this will work. Then we have another who posted once to sign up for art and say good job. It's 2 posts to 1 post over 4 days. That really can't be the determining factor.

Quality of brainstorming however could be a factor. For instance, someone could in one post provide the idea that defines the whole project, compared to someone like me who might post 50 times, but 30 of those are memes:p And then definitely the quality of the finished product that you produce.

And if ever it's a toss up, then what your past accomplishments in the challenges should factor in. Have you done great things or kinda skirted by. Stuff like that. I respect the judges' decision though despite knowing how much of a talent MCParradox is on the forum. You're an awesome imagineer -- don't forget that!:)

JokersWild

With such a talented cast -- I think the elimination rules need to be fine tuned to ensure that this type of situation doesn't keep happening where subjectivity decides the entire game. I mean, naturally there will be some form of it -- but having a defined rubric for eliminations could help immensely.

Just imho, I don't think that quantity of brainstorming should be a factor, or if it is, at least not a primary factor. Briefly looking over Younger's thread -- we are talking about one person who posted twice...once to say good job and another to say i don't think this will work. Then we have another who posted once to sign up for art and say good job. It's 2 posts to 1 post over 4 days. That really can't be the determining factor.

Quality of brainstorming however could be a factor. For instance, someone could in one post provide the idea that defines the whole project, compared to someone like me who might post 50 times, but 30 of those are memes:p And then definitely the quality of the finished product that you produce.

And if ever it's a toss up, then what your past accomplishments in the challenges should factor in. Have you done great things or kinda skirted by. Stuff like that. I respect the judges' decision though despite knowing how much of a talent MCParradox is on the forum. You're an awesome imagineer -- don't forget that!:)
I agree to an extent. I think that a lot of the problem stems from the problems we were having in the first round. It's definitely lead to an unorthodox judging style, and there are definitely kinks to work out, but I think it's starting to get to a place where it works well.

I definitely agree with everything you've said, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom