So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14: Greatest Hits (Official Hub Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Oh, there'll be a nailed down cast. I definitely won't allow sign-ups past the normal sign-up time. That's something I've generally help firm on even in TSI (except an exception or two, but in hindsight I probably shouldn't have done that).

By saying it's similar to the House Cup, I mean that the teams will be working for points, there'll be a bunch of side challenge for extra points, etc. :)

Aaaah. When you said House Cup I was picturing a more wide-spread, community type event with people coming in and out at different points in the season. You can see how I was a bit skeptical when it came to translating that to a "Race" format. ;) Yea, having a bunch of side challenges should be wonderful. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

DisneyManOne

Team Mist proudly presents...
Exterior.png

Haunted Mansion Holiday

For this project, Team Mist was asked to bring the anarchic fun of Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas to Walt Disney World’s Haunted Mansion. But, we were told not to borrow from the Haunted Mansion Holidays of California and Tokyo. This led us to a unique conclusion—since we weren’t told to stick to a specific holiday…why not do all of them? For this project, we each worked on different scenes in the ride, as I will denote in the ensuing ride-through.

Backstory
After the mess that was the “nightmare before Christmas” fiasco, Jack Skellington, Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, has decided to host a gathering of all the holiday mascots there are…Sandy Claws, the Easter Bunny, the Thanksgiving Turkey, you name it. This way, they all can learn more about holidays that aren't theirs. But, in order for this event to happen, he’s snuck into the Haunted Mansion…uninvited. What will happen?

The Queue ~ @TrevorA
At first glance, it will be apparent to guests that something new is happening over at Liberty Square’s world-famous spook house. The normally drab mansion exterior has been enthusiastically decorated with streamers and balloons of all colors and patterns. Yellow, Blue, Orange, Pink, White with Red polka dots, Green with Purple stripes. There are so many balloons that for a moment it may seem like a strong breeze could carry this house up, up, and away! Wooden stand-ups with likenesses of Jack Skellington and Sandy Claws painted on are positioned at the front gate of the Haunted Mansion, smiling and shaking hands. Another wooden stand-up depicting the Mayor of Halloweentown is nearest the entrance to the HM queue. The mayor is holding a megaphone in one hand, and with the other hand displays a scroll for guests to read. The text follows:

Notice!
All holiday-town hosts and residents
The meeting of the holidays will commence today, here in this
HAUNTED MANSION

Don’t be left home for the holidays! Enjoy food, drink, and merry-making for one day only in this historic residence - the new home-away-from-home for famous holidays, holidays trying to make a name for themselves, and holidays not yet recognized on the League’s official calendar. Today’s meeting will commence once all invited holidays have arrived at these happy haunting grounds.

RSVP, regrets only, to Jack Skellington c/o Ghost Relations Dept. Magic Kingdom
Please! Do not RSVP in person.
The horseless hearse in front of the mansion has been similarly decorated with balloons and streamers, and painted letters across the side of the carriage read: “Holiday Shuttle Service”. Once underneath the covered queue, guests can peer across the Rivers of America to see the shores of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad[1]. On the riverbank now stands a circle of tall, thin trees. Each tree in the group has on the base of its trunk a painted door, shaped into a holiday symbol. Just like in the movie, a guests would expect to enter Halloweentown by entering the tree with the pumpkin-shaped door, or to find Thanksgivingtown just on the other side of the turkey-shaped entrance. Of course, this tiny forest is too far to explore in detail, so the guests must press on towards the Haunted Mansion. The doors are all closed so that onlookers can see their colorful fronts, but tracks and footprints on the dirt in front of the group of trees suggest that the citizens of each of these towns has already entered the Magic Kingdom and trekked to the opposite side of the river. The Graveyard section of the Florida Haunted Mansion queue has been roped off from guest entrance. The garden beyond features tables and chairs, with tubs of ice cream and punch set out on the lawn. A sign hangs on the rope reading:

Please all holidays enter through the side-doors ahead. The Graveyard Ice Cream Social will be held here after the official gathering.
A Haunted Mansion cast member opens the double doors into the foyer and guests are ushered inside.

[1] On the Big Thunder Side of the RoA, at the exit to BTMRR, a guest can see the reverse side of these trees, and behind them the newly-decorated Haunted Mansion. A long note is posted in front of the tree-circle for guests to read, identical to another note posted outside the Haunted Mansion (see main description).

The Foyer ~ @mickeyfan5534
"When creepy creeps come here to play and the air takes on a deathly chill. When the thirteenth hour appears on the clock and Easter eggs and sugar plums begin to sway. This is the time where holidays come together, to practice their craft in joyous delight!"

As we walk into the foreboding foyer, decked out for all Halloween can bring, the air turns deathly still as a large portrait of the trees sending those to the towns of holidays begins changing. First, the doors open. Then, the rulers of the town begin stepping out, one by one. As the portrait finishes its elaborate change, all the rulers of the holiday towns appear before us.

The Stretching Room ~ @mickeyfan5534
"Welcome, frightful friends, to the Haunted Mansion Holiday. I am La Catrina, the Grande Dame of Death, representing Dia de los Muertos. I am your host, your... Holiday Host. Kindly step all the way in please and make room for everyone. There's no turning back now. 'Twas the nightmare before Christmas and all through the land; the holiday worlds made up their plans. As a grand gathering we mascots espoused, Jack Skellington decided to move through this house. While dreams and magic took over the land, a top on the course made decorations the plan."

(thunder and a projection of Jack on the ceiling)
"Happy holidays, my honored guests!"
"Oh dear, I didn't mean for him to come in so soon. You will meet him later on. Now, as they say, look alive! There's more to see."

The stretching room, decorated in garland and holly, takes on an all new form. The portraits now show The Easter Bunny, Santa, Jack and Sally, and a Thanksgiving Turkey. Upon full stretching, the Easter Bunny is being chased by the werewolf, Santa is being threatened by Lock, Shock, Barrel, and Oogie Boogie, Jack and Sally are decorating the mansion on a rickety ladder help up by Zero, and the Turkey is escaping a knife wielding Mayor. To make the transition easier, the attic scrim is simply projected on rather than replacing the attic.

Loading Area ~ @mickeyfan5534
"Please do not pull down on the safety bar. I will do it for you. Oh, and as a bit of fair warning, we holiday mascots do not like being approached when it’s not our time in the spotlight. So please, keep all hands, arms, feet and legs in the vehicles. And parents, please watch your little boys and ghouls. Ha, forgive the pun."

The long hallway that brings us to the load is simply decorated exactly how a citizen of Halloween would decorate for Christmas. Garland covered in pumpkins and orange candles light the way for guests to load into their doom buggies and head off.

Changing Portraits ~ @DisneyManOne
As we head off into the inky blackness, we pass by changing portraits--Lock, Shock and Barrel with their masks on and off, The Mayor changing faces, and the Haunted Mansion decked out for all sorts of different holidays.

The Library ~ @Snoopy
After leaving the portrait hall, guests glide into the Library. We hear our host, La Catrina, say, "Ah yes, the library. This is where we holiday mascots are being checked in for this meeting." A large banner hangs from the step-ladders saying "Welcome Holiday Guests!" and a table loaded with refreshments sits in the center of the room. Inside the library guests see several holiday mascots standing around awkwardly, some holding cups of blood-colored punch and others eating coffin and bat-shaped cookies. A few are standing in front of a podium, where the Mayor is checking in mascots for their stay in the mansion. "Aha, here we are. Yes, Mr. Straw Bear... it would appear that you'll be staying in room 2412. Watch out for the fireplace, ha ha! Have an awful time!" Moving on, guests come to the self-playing piano; while still playing, Grim Grinning Ghosts has been replaced by creepy versions of holiday melodies like Auld Lang Syne and In Your Easter Bonnet.

The Escher Staircase ~ @Basketbuddy101
Monster_zps4xh3tgqe.png

The doombuggy glides upward toward the Escher Staircase, which will retain its familiar layout and lighting arrangement. However, guests will find that the series of endless staircases is now home to a new resident: The One Hiding Under the Stairs, a familiar monster from the film who first made his appearance during the opening number of the 'The Nightmare Before Christmas.' Due to the fact that the omnimovers rarely stop, the creature will be presented in full animatronic form, greeting guests from adjacent to the main balusters. As the vehicles approach the center of the room, the monster will peer at guests, waving his fingers at them, which appear in the form of hissing snakes. "So many stairs, so many places to hide and…seek, hah heh," guests hear him say, the monster's fingers wiggling profusely. "Hello, hello, having a good time? Pay me a visit sometime; I'm just a couple of steps away." The footstep projections that usually step above guests' heads are replaced with silhouettes of slithering snakes, their tiny red eyes glowing like candles flames.

Endless Hallway ~ @Snoopy
Hallway_zpsg84o34by.png

Leaving the stairway behind, guests move on to the endless hallway. Looking out guests see that the hallway has been decked out with various garlands and decorations that seem to stretch on and on. In addition to the standard optical illusions, the hallway now also makes use of projections to show various mascots traveling door-to-door in search of their rooms, with a few growing frustrated. Underneath the suit of armor the Thanksgiving Turkey stands nervously, while Punxsutawney Phil struggles to find a way out of the chair that rocks by itself.

The Coffin ~ @Snoopy
It appears as if the conservatory has been turned into a luggage depository, with several Halloweentown residents taking it upon themselves to be the bellboys. This unfortunately means that several suitcases have been thrown about in the room. A Haunted Mansion staple, the man in the coffin is once again trying to get out, but this time it's luggage on his coffin that is preventing him from leaving... as a snickering Lock, Shock and Barrel (dressed in bellhop uniforms) point and smirk.

Door Hallway ~ @Snoopy
"It appears as if the guests are finding their rooms... let's see how they're liking them."
La Catrina directs riders through the door hallway, and it appears as if the holiday mascots aren't liking their rooms very much at all. On one side we see a Leprechaun trying and failing to reach his door handle, and on the other side Ded Moroz is seen arguing with Behemoth. "I told you, the door keeps breathing!" "Santa!" "For the last time, I am not Santa Claus!" A nervous Befana backs away from a door with hands sticking out of the top ("Sorry, I had no idea this room was occupied!") while Uncle Sam, standing by the backwards grandfather clock, looks about. "Oh dear me, it seems as if I'm supposed to be in the hall across the street right now..."

The Seance Room ~ @Basketbuddy101 and @JokersWild
Doc_zpsosw381yt.png

The omnimovers enter the familiar Séance Room, circling around Madame Leota, who is attempting her original incantation but finding this difficult, as Dr. Finkelstein is busy interrupting her with inquires concerning her levitation ability, the flap on his head constantly opening and closing. "Ah yes, magnificent flying technique, Madame…err…whatever your name was but, eh, just how did you manage to perfect it, I wonder? Perhaps…yes, but…no, no that can't be. Will you pipe down with that incantation, Madame, this is a matter of research!" Guests will notice that the instruments which usually circle above guests in the room are now slowly falling downwards toward the ground because of Madame Leota's distraction. "I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how you acquire such frizzy hair indeed!" he says. The omnimover steadily proceeds towards the ballroom.

The Ballroom ~ @Basketbuddy101 and @JokersWild

"Well, look at that"
, La Catrina says. "It's time for our celebratory feast. Everyone who is everyone has gathered here...oh, and they must be expecting me! Pardon, mis amigos, but I'll see you all after the feast is over." The Grand Ballroom is decked out in Thanksgiving decorations. Festive red, yellow, and orange banners adorn the familiar walls of the ballroom, as well as the balusters. Decorative paper turkeys and fall leaves hang from the chandelier. The scent of fresh pinecones fills the air as the ghosts dance in their familiar pattern.The center table is topped with a visibly-delicious Thanksgiving day feast, complete with corn, mashed potatoes, rolls, peas, and carrots. At the center of the table, however, the holiday's mascot, a fat turkey, shakes in fear as the three witches from the film wave massive pitchforks at the defenseless creature, laughing as they command the turkey to "hold still." A massive cornucopia stretches from one end of the ballroom to the other, overloaded with large pumpkins, squash, nuts, onions, and other veggies. Three new ghost figures bob for apples near the organ, one of them disappearing as he appears to fall into the bucket. The omnimover then proceeds into the attic.

The Attic ~ @Basketbuddy101

The omnimovers approach the entrance to the attic, which is covered in strings of dark green Easter grass. Large baskets are scattered about the entrance, each holding large eggs painted in bright, mellow colors, which glow brightly under the blacklight. The eggs feature hand painted designs depicting characters from the film, including Oogie, Sally, Jack, Mr. Mayor, and zero, along with various other shapes, stripes, and patterns. Strings of candy hang from the ceiling, along with ornaments shaped like carrots. Oversized jelly beans stacked in carrot-shaped containers glow beautifully as the omnimovers glide past large cardboard boxes that read "Easter Supplies," "Easter Eggs," "Jellybeans," and "Easter Stuff" on them. A wide banner hung from one end of the attic to the other reads "Greetings From Easter Land," painting in hot pink paint. Nestled at the foot of an oversized carrot, the Easter Bunny clutches his basket as he admires his handiwork, perhaps too busy to acknowledge guests. As the omnimover travels deeper into the attic, however, the scene becomes slightly more alarming, as Lock, Shock, and Barrel have seemingly intercepted the Easter Bunny's "Easter Toys" box, proceeding to alter them to their liking.

Wind-up baby chick toys have been painted black, their eyes glowing like fire, and their chirps sounding more like aggressive barks. Each half of every Easter egg has been fused with sharp blades of teeth; the eggs chatter in an open-close motion, making sharp, cutting sounds. Large chocolate bunny wrappers have been heavily modified, converted to look like coffins, the lids opening to reveal terrified chocolate bunny animatronics, who dodge the lids as they snap shut. One of the bunnies can be seen in a corner of the attic, entangled in the Easter Grass. Lock, Shock, and Barrel are busy engaging in their twisted Easter activities. Lock is busy rolling on the floor laughing at the terrified chocolate bunnies while Shock is balancing herself atop a box, searching for one of the chocolate bunnies who is hiding underneath the box, opening a corner and looking around, terrified. "Here bunny, bunny, bunny, where are youuuu?" She asks mockingly, laughing in between calls. Barrel is busy eating a large, dismembered chocolate limb while an arm crawls in a circular motion around horribly-spotted jellybeans. As the omnimover reaches the end of the attic, Oogie Boogie can be seen near a window, a basket in hand, a chocolate bunny head nestled inside. "Will ya just look at that! A head but no body," he exclaims, an obvious parody of the Hatbox Ghost. "Come on, you three," he says, his words directed at Lock, Shock and Barrel. "There's a party going on right outside, and everyone's invited. Just don't lose your head, hah hah hah hah!"

The Graveyard ~ Group Effort

As we leave the attic, we hear the joyous sounds of all the various holiday mascots engaging in a little after-party. Jack Skellington himself, in his usual attire, appears in place of the caretaker. "Ah, welcome, my friends! I was wondering when you were going to arrive. Well, come on in--the party is just getting started!" As TrevorA mentioned, an ice-cream social is going on here, with all the various holiday mascots enjoying the frozen treat. The singing busts, wearing hats representing different holidays (Santa hat, shamrock hat, hat with bunny ears, Pilgrim hat and generic party hat--for New Years) sing "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in a medley alongside other famous holiday songs. Lock, Shock and Barrel pop up from behind gravestones. The April Fool is about to dig in, only for a pie to shoot out from the bowl and knock him in the face. Cupid declares "I love ice cream!" Baby New Year dives head-first into a huge bowl of ice-cream. The Easter Bunny takes a few nips out of an ice-cream sundae made to look like an Easter egg. The Thanksgiving turkey, a la Heihei in Moana, pecks at the ground, facing the opposite direction of his bowl. These are just some examples of the various sight gags you'll see in this scene. I'd do them all, but with this many mascots, it would take forever! But, near the end of the graveyard, we see Santa Claus enjoying peppermint-flavored ice cream, and right near the entrance into the next scene, on top of the Spiral Hill from the film, we see Jack and Sally enjoying ice cream together. Zero floats nearby.

Hitchhiking Ghosts ~ @DisneyManOne

"Ah, mis amigos, there you are!"
La Catrina's voice is once again heard. "I thought I lost you somewhere in the graveyard. Well, I certainly hope you enjoyed your tour through the Haunted Mansion and I hope you enjoyed meeting everyone. Say, how about we take a commemorative picture to mark your time here?" Indeed, the windows that displayed the Hitchhiking Ghost effect now host cameras that take our pictures. What's so special about that? Well, a special kiosk has been installed at the ride's exit, and it tracks your car number, and each car gets its own unique "frame"--each one, of course, themed to a different holiday.

Unloading Area ~ @JokersWild and @DisneyManOne

As we turn north to face the unload, we see a little model of La Catrina bidding us farewell. "Adios, amigos! Come back soon! You certainly know how to 'liven' things up around here." The unload area looks the same as it does currently, but as we exit, we pass by a large horizontal scroll, upon which the mascots have written their respective holiday greetings ("Happy Halloween", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Easter", "Happy Valentine's Day", "Feliz Dia de los Muertos", etc.)

Upon passing the scroll, we find ourselves once again in broad daylight. So completes our journey on this new take on Haunted Mansion Holiday.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I absolutely can't wait to see the Mansion projects! In the meantime though, @MANEATINGWREATH is sick and I'm leaving in a few minutes to go see a late movie, so neither of our reviews will probably be up tonight. No matter given that it's a non-elimination this round and we can proceed as planned. With that in mind I'd like to formally announce the twist as well as the next project and get things set up before you leave. By all means finish the Mansion projects before starting brainstorming on the next project, but I like giving the night-owls an extra few hours to work, and I'm sure you'll all appreciate getting this a bit early.

First and foremost, let's get to the Team Swap. After much deliberation from MEW and I following the restructuring of the game and leaving us with an odd number of players, we've decided to revive Team Cap as a four person team, have Team Mist as another four person team, and round it out with Team Younger as a five person team. Team Cap are definitely the wild cards in this equation, while Team Mist have shown themselves to be incredibly resourceful and on-point. Team Younger has had a lot of great ideas but could use an extra member to really solidify them as a great combination of people, beings as though the team consists of mostly new players to the game. With that in mind, Walt's Vault was passed back around to @Magic Feather who set the team swap in motion upon opening it.

Magic Feather was asked to choose one person from Team Mist to swap over to Team Younger. Unsurprisingly, she chose the legendary powerhouse player @Basketbuddy101. To form Team Cap, we decided to swap over the two remaining people from the original Cap team as well as a combination of one player from Team Younger and one from Team Mist that have been true standouts thus far and MEW and I agree would work really well together and have very similar sensibilities. With that in mind, @TrevorA and @Pionmycake have been swapped to the new Team Cap in addition to original members @David2319 and @kmbmw777. This is a REALLY exciting combination of the people that I think are going to do some amazing work together for the next few rounds! :D

That leaves us with the swapped teams as followed...

Team Mist

@JokersWild
@DisneyManOne
@mickeyfan5534
@Snoopy

Team Younger
@Magic Feather
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@mharrington
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@Basketbuddy101

Team Cap
@TrevorA
@Pionmycake
@David2319
@kmbmw777

And with that in mind, let's get to the next prompt...

Project Four: The ABC's of Main Street USA
8571060381_db4a810c5e_z.jpg

Based on the "Main Street A/B ticket" project from Season Three

Main Street USA has always been a favorite of mine. While viewed as many as simply an entry point into the park, Main Street represents a true revolution in theme park design as well as some of the most immersive and quirky details in all of the park...In Disneyland at least. While Main Street USA in WDW's Magic Kingdom certainly has a larger scale to it, most will argue that the "Charm" element of the original Main Street USA in Disneyland is lost. Time hasn't been kind of WDW's Main Street as classic attractions such as the Main Street Cinema and the Penny Arcade exist as shells of their former selves and exist mostly as gift shops. For this project, the teams are asked to create three next experiences for WDW's Main Street USA to help bring the "charm" back to the area.

The three experiences must be ranked in classic ticket fashion...One A ticket, one B ticket, one C ticket. Examples of what I'm looking for from each of the tickets...

A Ticket - Walk through exhibit, interactive element, diversion
B Ticket - Stuff on the level of Main Street Cinema and the street vehicles. If you wish you may either revive the Main Street Cinema or put in an additional mode of transportation in this slot. If you choose to revive the cinema you must include new elements that weren't present in the "classic" version of the attraction and update it.
C Ticket - Small scale dark ride, Audio Animatronics show, or a large scale flat ride.

Presentations must include all three of your attractions properly labeled with what ticket each addition goes with. Good luck teams. This project is due Thursday, March 2nd at 11:59 PM Eastern, 8:59 PM pacific.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Team Younger proudly presents:

Phantom Manor: Krampus's Holiday Haunt

Every year in November and December, Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris will be given a holiday makeover. This isn't the silly, happy, holiday haunt of Haunted Mansion Holiday. Delightful ghost dogs and singing skeleton men are nowhere to be seen. You won't find Sandy Claws lurking in these halls. Phantom Manor shall instead be visited by the Christmas demon himself, the legendary Krampus!

- Exterior-

The outside of the manor shall be decorated for the holiday season. Rather than describe it to you, we can show you using concept art.
image-jpeg.191225
image-jpeg.191226
image-jpeg.191227

-Foyer - Pre-Show Room 1-
"You're time has come."
The cast member says as he escorts you to the Foyer at the entrance to Ravenswood Manor, as they remind you to move all the way in order to fill up the dead space.
VnxzmqS.jpg

In the holiday edition of Phantom Manor, the portrait of the Bride is replaced by a large painting of Ravenswood Manor on an idealic Christmas morning. Snow is scattered on the ground, the house is well decorated, family appears to be visiting. The perfect Christmas in the perfect manor with what appears to be the perfect family. A truly lovely painting.
Of course. The foyer is decked out in holiday decor. A voice is heard. It recites the famous opening to the Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor, but it is changed to reflect the Holiday season.

"When snowflakes fall from frozen skies,
and strange and frightening boughs of holly deck all the halls.
Whenever candlelights flicker from the centerpiece of a grand family meal.
That is the time for Christmas presents,
And for Krampus to come for his holiday fright!"

The voice cackles as the doors to the stretching room opens. While the opening narration is being recited, the portrait of the manor slowly transforms. The manor decays into its current state. The happy Christmas morning fades into a dark Christmas night. The family in the house are replaced by dark shadows. Silhouetted against the moon, you can just scarcely see a figure. Is it Father Christmas come with gifts for all the good girls and boys? No.
You notice that it has a more monstrous physique. It seemed to be a mixture between a goat, a man, and a demon. The silhouette is small, but unmistakable.

Father Christmas is not visiting Ravenswood Manor tonight.​

-Stretching Room - Pre-Show Room 2-

The four paintings in the stretching room of Phantom Manor usually show the Bride (and sometimes the groom) before stretching to show various calamities befalling them. As with the Foyer, the Stretching Room is decked out it Christmas decor. Since the holiday edition of Phantom Manor does not focus on the bride, neither does the stretching room.

The new focus of both the ride and the stretching room paintings is young Henrietta Ravenswood (Named for her father, Henry). Henrietta is 14 years old. She's a mischievous young girl and is always causing trouble. No one ever corrects or punishes her because her family, the Ravenswoods, are the richest family in Thuner Mesa and her father's gold mine employs half the town. So, Henrietta has become a bit of a brat. Well, perhaps a bit more than a bit of a brat. On top of all that, she doesn't believe in Father Christmas anymore, and she never believed in Krampus. She will definitely believe in Krampus shortly though.
image-jpeg.191333

One painting is Henrietta in a family portrait with her older sister (the bride), her mother, and her father, Henry Ravenswood. As the room stretches, the painting stretches to reveal Henrietta stealing money from her father's pocket. Another painting features Henrietta looking at nature. As the room stretches, this painting stretches to reveal her using a Magnifying glass to burn insects . The third painting features Henrietta standing in Thunder Mesa. As the room stretches, the painting stretches to reveal her holding a sling shot as the townsfolk of Thunder Mesa are nursing wounds and trying to fix broken pots and things destroyed by the sling shot. The final painting features Henrietta in fancy clothes standing in the ballroom of Ravenswood Manor. As the room stretches, the painting stretches to reveal her covered in mud from the waist down and it seems she has tracked mud all over the fancy ballroom. A disgruntled butler stands in the background surveying the mess he will have to clean knowing Henrietta would never offer to help clean up after herself.

Similar to Haunted Mansion Holiday, projection effects are used on the roof to transform it. It now appears to be a glass roof revealing a snowy night.

A cast member ushers you into the stretching room and advises you to enter all the way in to the room filling up all available space while staying away from the walls. The voice from the Foyer is heard once again. As the narrator speaks, snow begins to coat the roof.

"The good girls and boys are given gifts from Father Christmas every year.

But what of the naughty? Do they have a comeuppance to fear?

A dark spirit who punishes the wicked every holiday season.

If you wonder why you should behave, this is the reason:

A monster even the Phantom does fear,

Is coming to the Manor this year...

Because young Henrietta Ravenswood has never once done something Righteous, on Christmas Eve night, she will be haunted and hunted... by the Krampus."

By the end of the poem, the snow has completely covered the "glass roof." When the narrator says "Krampus," the lights flicker,the sound of Thunder can be heard, and much of the snow shakes off. The only snow remaining forms a shape that will soon become very familiar to guests:the spirit that watches over the sinners of the world. The figure that goes ahead of the Krampus, reporting back to him. The eyes and ears for the Christmas beast (Ala Elf On The Shelf).While its name is unknown, its form is very distinct. The Goat Skull will stalk guests throughout their ride,and that same ghastly goat skull is the shape formed in the snow on the glass roof above..........
c006ba747481545494c5e30f44a82cfb.jpg

-Indoor Queue/Loading Area-

Upon leaving the Stretching Room, you enter another room, except this room features various changing paintings. Once again, this room is covered in traditional holiday decor.
phantom-manor-portrait-gallery-disneyland-paris-215.jpg

In the holiday edition of Phantom Manor, the paintings will feature people of various ages doing a variety of rather naughty activities. When they transform, the paintings show how they were punished as the Goat Skull watches on (tucked away in the background of the paintings. Perhaps just a skull in the ground, perhaps a shape in the clouds in the sky). One example is a painting of an outlaw holding a stick of dynamite in his hand. When transformed, the painting shows the landscape as well as the outlaw covered in ash. The Goat Skull's form can be seen as a shape in the smoke.

The painting of the bride at the end of the hall is replaced with a painting of Henritetta.

The busts whose gaze follows you are featured in the queue for Phantom Manor. During the holiday version, the busts remain mostly unchanged, with the exception of adding title plaques. These will be done in a similar style to the tombstones outside Haunted Mansion (short rhymes, dark humor). They briefly describe the person the bust is of, and what kind of ironic justice they received from the Krampus.

318c859a2eef7f12b32456e37c4419f0.jpg

Her entire fortune, Barbara was known to have stole.
She was found Christmas morning, buried in her illgotten gold.

-------------Ride Through-------------

-Load-
Guests make their way to their carriages and soon notice changes. The backdrop is now covered in faded red garland, which provides a less festive version of the decor we know and love. Also present is a Christmas tree, that slowly deadens using projection effects, before a mysterious snowfall coats it.

-Staircase/Hall-
The buggies soon go under a staircase, as we see Henrietta with a fake ghost on a string standing above us, with a goat skull hung on the wall next to her. She swings it above guests, taunting them as she maniacally laughs. Keen eared guests may recognize this laugh as a higher pitch version of the Phantom's laugh. We then look towards the endless hallway, where instead of the bride mysteriously appearing, we see a shadowy version of Krampus look around before disappearing. The quivering armor's mask now lifts to reveal a laughing Henrietta, as we go down a hall with a wide range of doors.

-Conservatory-

We look as Henrietta stands on one side of a piano, with a Christmas tree toppled upon the other side. The tree is connected to a string that she is holding (implying she invoked the tree down. She looks down with wide eyes as a shadow of Krampus plays "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" in C Minor, creating a horrific mood.

-Hall-

We then continue down a hallway of scratched doors, as we hear banging and crashing coming from behind the doors, presumably from Krampus and Henrietta. As we then continue, we see a grandfather clock, that is always spinning with the number 13. Henrietta is sitting in front of it looking afraid. Little does she know that the shape of the clock behind her is the spirit of Krampus.
Seance- We enter as Leota chants these incantations in the center.
"Condemned Spirits who live to give fright, come summon terror on this Holiday night"
"Minions and Ghouls from here and from there, come and do right by making a scare."
"Young Henrietta with Mischeif she came, now our eternal suffering, to her we shall blame"
"Children who have never been good, come help the beast to be understood"

-Ballroom-

We then continue into the ballroom, where Henrietta takes her older sister's usual place, as holiday music plays. Additional ghosts of Children and decor have been added for this scene. Replacing the phantom is the large hands of Krampus entering from outside.

-Bridal Chamber-

We then enter the bridal chamber which has been transformed for the holidays into Henrietta's room. It is full of reed baskets that are rattling and filled with the screams of Children. We then see her staring into a skull-like mirror, in which we get our first look at Krampus's face, as he periodically pops up in the mirror.
f058b5ab0168c03228c6a31294aec4d7.jpg

-Phantom Canyon- The Ghost Town-
Phantom%2BManor%2BGhost%2BTown.jpg

Currently, this scene stands like this - "Through a hole, the carriages then enter Phantom Canyon, which is a twisted, supernatural version of Thunder Mesa. Great rifts in the earth surrounding the vehicles suggest that an earthquake has happened, which reenacts Thunder Mesa's turning point from a prosperous community to a ghost town. An eerie-looking animatronic figure stands before a ramshackle train station, offering the riders train tickets to the Underworld. Guests then pass a ruined town hall where the mayor (who speaks clips of dialogue from Paul Frees, the original rides' Ghost Host) stands, inviting guests to be the Manor's 1000th ghost. As he tips his hat, his head comes with it. A shootout follows between a bank robber fleeing on a mule and a cowardly sheriff, with Big Thunder Mountain in the background. Guests see a pharmacy where a green-faced pharmacist drinks a potion of some sort, followed by a saloon whose front wall has caved in. Inside it, there is a dancing showgirl, a bartender, and a man playing a honky-tonk piano. Every once in a while, a hand with a candelabra appears out of the piano. Four invisible gambler figures play poker nearby."

However, the town has transformed. Now the buildings are decorated with Christmas wreaths and lights. Snow is all over the ground, and snow angels demons can be seen (just like snow angels but with horns). The windows of the shops (specifically the saloon and the pharmacy) however now utilize screens and feature the dark haired Ravenswood girl running hurriedly through them. The voice of Krampus, or one of his minions, says "Come here Henrietta. We have a special surprise for you."

The mayor stands at the town hall when we reach it. "All ghosts are to assist Krampus on his hunt. The girl must be found at all costs" He then turns to the omnimover. "We have 999 ghosts on the hunt. But there's room for a thousand..."

At the bank, the voices can be heard. "Check every vault. She could be anywhere!" The sound of ghosts ruffling through money and shouting gleefully can be heard.
Krampus_at_Perchtenlauf_Klagenfurt.jpg

The train station has been completely transformed. A path of goat skulls line the floor, and a large audio-animatronic of Krampus himself bursts through the door. Smoke appears around the terrifying demon, and (simulated) fire spits around the building. This is the guests first real full look at the demonic creature.

-End Scene-

The iconic scene at the end of the ghost town of the Bride's skeletal spirit floating in the void will be transformed for the holiday edition of the ride.
Phantom%20Manor%2016.jpg

The crystal-like structure in the background will be made to resemble a large, sharp, shattered snowflake. Strong blue and purple lights shine on the snowflake as a mist emenates from it. The skeletal bride is replaced by a still alive, yet clearly terrified and repentant, Henrietta Ravenswood. The voice from the preshow speaks to guests once more.

"Tonight a lesson was learned by Henrietta Ravenswood.

In the future, she will always remember to be good.

Dear, guests. Go and enjoy the season. Do some caroling.

But don't forget to behave, for Krampus will be watching."

As the last line is said, guest's doom buggies pass by the "hitchicking ghost" mirrors. Instead of showing the Phantom ominously following guests home (as Phantom Manor usually does), the mirrors now reveal Krampus watching over you.

The unload station and exit area are not radically changed. Christmas decorations similar to those seen in the queue can be seen here, but decayed. The garlands are dead and brown, the holly is wilted, the colors have faded from the presents and nutckrackers, and cobwebs fill the dead trees.

The Little Bride (Phantom Manor's version of Little Leota) is replaced with one final appearance of the Goat Skull. An ominous voice (implied to be either the skull or Krampus) can be heard from an indistinct location.

"Happy Holidays, hopefully I'll never have to visit again."

"I see you when you're sleeping. I know when you're awake. So, better be good... for your own sake."

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Awesome to see both teams turning things in early. Can't wait to read them! Quoting this in case it gets lost in the shuffle sandwiched between the two projects. Now that both projects have been turned in everyone can get right to work on the next prompt!

I absolutely can't wait to see the Mansion projects! In the meantime though, @MANEATINGWREATH is sick and I'm leaving in a few minutes to go see a late movie, so neither of our reviews will probably be up tonight. No matter given that it's a non-elimination this round and we can proceed as planned. With that in mind I'd like to formally announce the twist as well as the next project and get things set up before you leave. By all means finish the Mansion projects before starting brainstorming on the next project, but I like giving the night-owls an extra few hours to work, and I'm sure you'll all appreciate getting this a bit early.

First and foremost, let's get to the Team Swap. After much deliberation from MEW and I following the restructuring of the game and leaving us with an odd number of players, we've decided to revive Team Cap as a four person team, have Team Mist as another four person team, and round it out with Team Younger as a five person team. Team Cap are definitely the wild cards in this equation, while Team Mist have shown themselves to be incredibly resourceful and on-point. Team Younger has had a lot of great ideas but could use an extra member to really solidify them as a great combination of people, beings as though the team consists of mostly new players to the game. With that in mind, Walt's Vault was passed back around to @Magic Feather who set the team swap in motion upon opening it.

Magic Feather was asked to choose one person from Team Mist to swap over to Team Younger. Unsurprisingly, she chose the legendary powerhouse player @Basketbuddy101. To form Team Cap, we decided to swap over the two remaining people from the original Cap team as well as a combination of one player from Team Younger and one from Team Mist that have been true standouts thus far and MEW and I agree would work really well together and have very similar sensibilities. With that in mind, @TrevorA and @Pionmycake have been swapped to the new Team Cap in addition to original members @David2319 and @kmbmw777. This is a REALLY exciting combination of the people that I think are going to do some amazing work together for the next few rounds! :D

Team Mist

@JokersWild
@DisneyManOne
@mickeyfan5534
@Snoopy

Team Younger
@Magic Feather
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@mharrington
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@Basketbuddy101

Team Cap
@TrevorA
@Pionmycake
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@mharrington
@Basketbuddy101

And with that in mind, let's get to the next prompt...

Project Four: The ABC's of Main Street USA
8571060381_db4a810c5e_z.jpg

Based on the "Main Street A/B ticket" project from Season Three

Main Street USA has always been a favorite of mine. While viewed as many as simply an entry point into the park, Main Street represents a true revolution in theme park design as well as some of the most immersive and quirky details in all of the park...In Disneyland at least. While Main Street USA in WDW's Magic Kingdom certainly has a larger scale to it, most will argue that the "Charm" element of the original Main Street USA in Disneyland is lost. Time hasn't been kind of WDW's Main Street as classic attractions such as the Main Street Cinema and the Penny Arcade exist as shells of their former selves and exist mostly as gift shops. For this project, the teams are asked to create three next experiences for WDW's Main Street USA to help bring the "charm" back to the area.

The three experiences must be ranked in classic ticket fashion...One A ticket, one B ticket, one C ticket. Examples of what I'm looking for from each of the tickets...

A Ticket - Walk through exhibit, interactive element, diversion
B Ticket - Stuff on the level of Main Street Cinema and the street vehicles. If you wish you may either revive the Main Street Cinema or put in an additional mode of transportation in this slot. If you choose to revive the cinema you must include new elements that weren't present in the "classic" version of the attraction and update it.
C Ticket - Small scale dark ride, Audio Animatronics show, or a large scale flat ride.

Presentations must include all three of your attractions properly labeled with what ticket each addition goes with. Good luck teams. This project is due Thursday, March 2nd at 11:59 PM Eastern, 8:59 PM pacific.

kmbmw777

Team Mist

@JokersWild
@DisneyManOne
@mickeyfan5534
@Snoopy

Team Younger
@Magic Feather
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@mharrington
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@Basketbuddy101

Team Cap
@TrevorA
@Pionmycake
@ThatGuyFromFlorida
@mharrington
@Basketbuddy101

Sorry to be a bother, but team cap is me and david, and not TGFF mharrington, and basketballbuddy right?

MANEATINGWREATH

I'm still slightly ill - I was so sick, I had bizarre hallucinations that I had turned into a cowboy - but I'll do my absolute best to churn out some reviews of these decidedly excellent projects. I'm really, really pleased with the result, especially given the circumstances of Round Three thus far. :)

Team Mist

First, I'd like to mention that you guys really hit it out of the park with this concept. We told you to be as original as possible and - despite keeping the name of Haunted Mansion Holiday - this concept was entirely original and unique all its own. I really loved the nod to the sign that hung outside the original Mansion prior to its opening in 1969. Great way to sell the idea. Also, the inclusion of the tree-doors from the film was excellent.

LOVE the inclusion of a different and original character as the Ghost Host stand-in. I wish the big reveal in the Stretch Room was different than the Anaheim version, but nonetheless, the scene was great. The Library was excellent, as was the One Hiding Under the Stairs. The scene between Dr. Finklestein and Leota was clever and creative. Having the ballroom decked out for Thanksgiving was an excellent idea. Putting Easter in the Attic also worked well. The same opinion goes toward the Graveyard.

This all said, the project was good. I just wish there had been a bit more detail featured to unify the project into a more consistent tone. As I said, you guys did hit it out of the park. However, something was lacking in the sense that the project needed a "unifying" tone if that makes sense. Again, this might be the ramblings of a sick co-host. Lol. Also, was La Catrina your mascot in lieu of the Raven? If she was, that's fine. I just didn't really catch anything that specifically stated that.

Creativity: 9/10
Detail: 9/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
Teamwork: 9/10

Total Score: 45/50

Team Younger

The concept art and narration were stellar, right from the get-go. While the exclusion of the Bride was fine, I personally felt as if completely nixing her storyline somewhat tampers with the lore of the attraction. Then again, I do understand why this decision was made, especially considering the revised storyline.

The inclusion and creation of Henrietta was brilliant. This is something I NEVER would have thought of. It's an effectively simple yet spectacular idea and background. It completely adds to the lore of Thunder Mesa and Ravenswood Manor. It doesn't take anything away. The reveal of the Goat Skull was chilling to say the least. Even so, utilizing a Goat Skull as your in-ride mascot was perfect. I love the idea of a twisted Elf on a Shelf. If anything, I wish the big reveal HAD been Krampus, but still, great work.

The big reveal of Krampus at the end definitely made up for the lack of Krampus in the Stretch Room. All in all, this overlay was chilling, scary and rather unsettling, just like the original Phantom Manor. While certain areas of the project unfortunately lacked in detail, there was still the right amount to keep the presentation and ride-through both consistent and realistic. Great, great work. Seriously.

Creativity: 9.5/10
Detail: 8.5/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 8.5/10
Teamwork: 9/10

Total Score: 44.5/50

It looks like @TheOriginalTiki will be the tie-breaker. This is going to be a CLOSE round for sure. Great work to both teams.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Mist - Wonderful use of a loophole to create something far more ambitious than MEW and I thought possible from the prompt. Great way to think outside the box with this one! The project works really well as a sequel to Nightmare Before Christmas. The different rooms work great as different holiday set pieces. I especially love the visual of the giant cornacopia in the ballroom. It all very much feels in line with the spirit of the original film while expanding on the mythology. I also like how much interaction there was between the characters and the traditional Mansion residents. This made it a lot easier to swallow for me than my very outward gripes about how the original Haunted Mansion Holiday clashes with the tone of the Mansion.

Creativity: 9/10 - Excellent choices with the different holiday icons and how they were spread around with familiar Mansion set pieces and favorite characters from the original film.

Detail: 9/10 - Solid as ever!

Realism: 8/10 - The ride itself is very believable, my only question is if the ambitious melding of all the holidays would work just as a Christmas overlay. How far would the overlay extend, and would it start to impend on the "classic" version of the Mansion and its yearly operations.

Presentation: 9/10 - Great concept art as always from Basketbuddy. I also LOVE the touch of having easy to reference credits in who contributed what to the project. I encourage this kind of stuff in the future for sure. Very well laid out content.

Group Work: 9/10 - Solid contributions from everyone, with a few people being stand out leaders. Overall a very good team effort.

Total: 44/50

Team Younger: This is DEFINITELY the "Scary" version of the Mansion and fits right at home with the dark tones of Phantom Manor. I'm really impressed by how you're able to deconstruct the entire mythology of the original attraction and add an essential element to it that truly expands the world-building of Thunder Manor. Henrietta Ravenswood is a fantastically well realized character who if put into the parks would rank as an iconic Disney villain in her own right. The writing in this is superb and truly does an amazing job of building up the sense of dread and anticipation of seeing the actual Krampus. I've got to give props for having the slow burn to the final reveal for the actual fully realized Krampus form. The way you foreshadowed him with the skulls and sound effects was genius and would lead to an overall scarier experience than if Krampus was popping out all over the place. This truly is a VERY tough round to call!

Creativity: 9/10 - Excellent job expanding on the Thunder Mesa mythology.
Realism: 9.5/10 - Surprisingly VERY realistic considering the European sensibilities of the original Krampus legend mixed with how well these new concepts fit in with what's already there.
Detail: 7.5/10 - This is the one area that could use some work, especially in key set pieces like the Grand Ballroom. What you have is fine, but I was left wishing there was a bit more to chew on during certain moments.
Presentation: 9.5/10 Love, love, LOVE Pi's narration. The concept art may not be as flashy as Basketbuddy's but it also does a wonderful job at conveying the changes and tonal shifts the ride will represent. The portrait of Henrietta in particular is really well realized. The mix of multimedia in this presentation gives Team Younger the slight edge.
Group Work: 8.5/10 - Solid effort all around considering the continued challenges this team has had to face this round with the drop outs and reshuffling of the cast.

Yea, great job teams because you got the EXACT same score on my end. This was a tremendously close round with two fantastic and radically different concepts that came out of it. Let's go to @MANEATINGWREATH's scores to break the tie...

Team Mist: 45/50
Team Younger: 44.5/50

Which means by a mere HALF a point...Congrats Team Mist you have won the project! @JokersWild has been granted PoMVP for this round and cannot be nominated for elimination. Also I'd like to officially confirm that @spacemt354 passed his Diamond PoMVP onto @Magic Feather who is now in possession of one of the three in the game along with @Pionmycake and @DisneyManOne. They can use the Diamond PoMVP any time between now or semi-finals to pull themselves or any other nominee off the block and replace it with a team member of their choosing.

Speaking of nominations, here's how those will work for each of the three teams.

Team Mist - Since Joker has PoMVP, whoever becomes Team Leader this round must nominate two people besides Joker and Joker casts the deciding vote between the three. (Assuming Joker himself is not the team leader...In which case he nominates two of DisneyMan/MickeyFan/Snoopy and the person not on the block casts the deciding vote between the two nominees)

Team Cap - Project leader nominates two people. Remaining person who's either not PL or a nominee casts vote between the two nominees.

Team Younger: Pretty straightforward...Project leader nominates two people, the two other people not on the block cast their vote between the two nominees. In the event of a tie, Project leader breaks the tie and casts the deciding vote.

This and all other rounds from here until semi-finals will be SINGLE elimination.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Team Mist - Wonderful use of a loophole to create something far more ambitious than MEW and I thought possible from the prompt. Great way to think outside the box with this one! The project works really well as a sequel to Nightmare Before Christmas. The different rooms work great as different holiday set pieces. I especially love the visual of the giant cornacopia in the ballroom. It all very much feels in line with the spirit of the original film while expanding on the mythology. I also like how much interaction there was between the characters and the traditional Mansion residents. This made it a lot easier to swallow for me than my very outward gripes about how the original Haunted Mansion Holiday clashes with the tone of the Mansion.

Creativity: 9/10 - Excellent choices with the different holiday icons and how they were spread around with familiar Mansion set pieces and favorite characters from the original film.

Detail: 9/10 - Solid as ever!

Realism: 8/10 - The ride itself is very believable, my only question is if the ambitious melding of all the holidays would work just as a Christmas overlay. How far would the overlay extend, and would it start to impend on the "classic" version of the Mansion and its yearly operations.

Presentation: 9/10 - Great concept art as always from Basketbuddy. I also LOVE the touch of having easy to reference credits in who contributed what to the project. I encourage this kind of stuff in the future for sure. Very well laid out content.

Group Work: 9/10 - Solid contributions from everyone, with a few people being stand out leaders. Overall a very good team effort.

Team Younger: This is DEFINITELY the "Scary" version of the Mansion and fits right at home with the dark tones of Phantom Manor. I'm really impressed by how you're able to deconstruct the entire mythology of the original attraction and add an essential element to it that truly expands the world-building of Thunder Manor. Henrietta Ravenswood is a fantastically well realized character who if put into the parks would rank as an iconic Disney villain in her own right. The writing in this is superb and truly does an amazing job of building up the sense of dread and anticipation of seeing the actual Krampus. I've got to give props for having the slow burn to the final reveal for the actual fully realized Krampus form. The way you foreshadowed him with the skulls and sound effects was genius and would lead to an overall scarier experience than if Krampus was popping out all over the place. This truly is a VERY tough round to call!

Creativity: 9/10 - Excellent job expanding on the Thunder Mesa mythology.
Realism: 9.5/10 - Surprisingly VERY realistic considering the European sensibilities of the original Krampus legend mixed with how well these new concepts fit in with what's already there.
Detail: 7.5/10 - This is the one area that could use some work, especially in key set pieces like the Grand Ballroom. What you have is fine, but I was left wishing there was a bit more to chew on during certain moments.
Presentation: 9.5/10 Love, love, LOVE Pi's narration. The concept art may not be as flashy as Basketbuddy's but it also does a wonderful job at conveying the changes and tonal shifts the ride will represent. The portrait of Henrietta in particular is really well realized. The mix of multimedia in this presentation gives Team Younger the slight edge.
Group Work: 8.5/10 - Solid effort all around considering the continued challenges this team has had to face this round with the drop outs and reshuffling of the cast.

Yea, great job teams because you got the EXACT same score on my end. This was a tremendously close round with two fantastic and radically different concepts that came out of it. Let's go to @MANEATINGWREATH's scores to break the tie...

Team Mist: 45/50
Team Younger: 44.5/50

Which means by a mere HALF a point...Congrats Team Mist you have won the project! @JokersWild has been granted PoMVP for this round and cannot be nominated for elimination. Also I'd like to officially confirm that @spacemt354 passed his Diamond PoMVP onto @Magic Feather who is now in possession of one of the three in the game along with @Pionmycake and @DisneyManOne. They can use the Diamond PoMVP any time between now or semi-finals to pull themselves or any other nominee off the block and replace it with a team member of their choosing.

Speaking of nominations, here's how those will work for each of the three teams.

Team Mist - Since Joker has PoMVP, whoever becomes Team Leader this round must nominate two people besides Joker and Joker casts the deciding vote between the three. (Assuming Joker himself is not the team leader...In which case he nominates two of DisneyMan/MickeyFan/Snoopy and the person not on the block casts the deciding vote between the two nominees)

Team Cap - Project leader nominates two people. Remaining person who's either not PL or a nominee casts vote between the two nominees.

Team Younger: Pretty straightforward...Project leader nominates two people, the two other people not on the block cast their vote between the two nominees. In the event of a tie, Project leader breaks the tie and casts the deciding vote.

This and all other rounds from here until semi-finals will be SINGLE elimination.

Heartbraking to lose by just half a point lol

But all very solid points made in the reviews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom