So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 13, "Get a Clue" Sign Ups!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers!

It's my honor to welcome you to the thirteenth season of So, You Want to be an Imagineer. Appropriately enough for the 13th season, this will be themed to horror and "murder mystery" and will focus on the Society of Explorers and Adventurers and Mystic Manor. It will be a story led season that will focus on the supernatural side of IPs, with properties such as Gravity Falls, Star Wars Villains, and two exciting twists on The Haunted Mansion.

It's going to be the biggest season ever, and I'm anticipating a HUGE amount of applications. For that reason I have to announce that we need to cut the cast off at 20 people. That doesn't mean you can't apply after 20 people already had, that means that we'll be selecting the cast based on the quality of the applications. You want to think long and hard about your answers here.

To sign up, simply answer these questions in this thread. We'll base the cast and the division of the starting teams on the quality of the answers.

1. What brings you to "So, You Want to be an Imagineer"?

2. What is your favorite Disney "land" from a design point of view?

3. Who is your favorite Imagineer and why?

4. If you could bring back one Extinct Attraction, what would it be.

5. Do you gots any special skillz? :p (art, video editing, etc.)

@JokersWild and I will go going live with an official launch podcast tonight at 1 AM eastern, but in the mean time feel free to start posting those applications! :D

mickeyfan5534

SYWTBAI's grand return? You bet I'm in.
New Orleans Square has such an ambiance but it pales to the amazing build up in AK's Oasis. Walking through a jungle to come to that amazing view of the Tree of Life blows me away every time
Joe Rhode is no one's yes man and he does what he likes and he likes what he does. Also, he's a very interesting person.
Gosh. Journey into Imagination probably
I've got a trove of ideas that I can come up with in a snap and when I get very inspired by one, I can write out an outline for it in a snap. I'm also an entertainment nut with countless ideas for both streetmosphere and big shows and parades.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Going live with @JokersWild in about 15 minutes for a season launch podcast where we'll introduce the story and characters and announce the opening challenge to get the first key to Walt's Vault...The game's infamous Pandora's Box of a twist that could lead to your ultimate victory or your greatest downfall!

spacemt354

Chili's

This Imagineer forum has become my favorite hobby and one of the best things I have been a part of. Over the last year I've seen this place grow and it makes me so happy to see where it is today. And combine that with an imagineering event that has 12 Seasons of history and creativity, I'm interested in being a part of it.

Cars Land - it's the quintessential design complex and one of the most immersive places I've ever been to. When I do imagineering "lands" for challenges and what not, I try to keep the themes and detail on par the best I can with this land.

Walt Disney - "if you can dream it, you can do it" and "keep moving forward"

Two of my favorite quotes of all-time that I actually strive to live by. On a personal note, The House Cup has been my passion project for the last few months. At first, didn't know what to except doing something different. However, I had a...(getting on a soapbox) dream for it to be something special. And with hard work, dedication, and a great team around you, it's kinda fun to do the impossible (to quote Walt again):)

Horizons - I'm not expanding on this...that's all I need to say:p

Skillz that killz:hilarious:
skillz-that-killz-o.gif

Eh, I try my best (when I can) on most/all projects. One of my goals is always to have custom art in every project. It might not be the best, but it's a personal goal of mine because I think it adds a special touch to all the projects, even if it sometimes takes a while to do.

I also like putting subtle pop culture references or hidden mickeys into the projects, though for my last few I haven't done it as much...have to get back to that;)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Walt's Vault Key Challenge

Wanting an early advantage in the game? Try your hand at the first Imagineering challenge of the season! For this mini challenge, you must pick a Disney attraction not currently tied to S.E.A. (The Society of Explorers and Adventurers) and give it a S.E.A. tie-in. A new character isn't required, but would definitely score some bonus points. All we need is a brief description of changes in the attraction's queue that would tie the attraction to the S.E.A. storyline.

Please send me a conversation with a title along the lines of "Walt's Vault submission" with your entry. There is no sentence limit. Jokers and I will choose the best submission and they will be granted the first key to Walt's Vault!

Poe Dameron

I'm a new member who joined because of The House Cup and I've had an absolute blast in that so far and I'm excited to continue to imagineer on here. I saw Star Wars as a category which interested me, though I worry I won't have enough time for both and I want to stay in my first competition. Hopefully that isn't the case?

Frontierland I think is a great representation of Disney storytelling without throwing the story in your face. It's a story that surrounds and I think that's really neat. Also Big Thunder Mountain is one of my favorite attractions.

I'm not too sure. It's hard for me to pick one person, but I would probably go with Marc Davis because he seemed to embody what Imagineering is all about.

Probably Alien Encounter just because it felt like something Disney would never do today.

It's really too early to tell. I've been trying to do the mini-challenges in The House Cup and have been taking on projects on my team. I guess the one thing I want to be is dependable. If I say I'm going to do something, I want to do it, and keep my word. Which goes back to my first point that I want to be there for my current team and try something new after it's finished. Thank you for consideration.

Daveeeeed

I love love love love Disney, it's my life.

I've only been to WDW and I just got back from DLP, so I have to say Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris. I love Jules Verne and the architecture reflects him very well, and it actually feels like an actual land unlike Tomorrowland.

Many were legends that's for sure, but my personal favorite is Mark Summer. He was able to accomplish with Soarin' what nobody else could, and that is what Imagineering is about, doing the impossible.

Push the talking trash can... JK, but I still miss it dearly. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea for sure.

I can write songs on the piano (I play by ear), draw maps, and video edit (but my computer is really bad). Thanks for considering me :)

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers!

It's my honor to welcome you to the thirteenth season of So, You Want to be an Imagineer. Appropriately enough for the 13th season, this will be themed to horror and "murder mystery" and will focus on the Society of Explorers and Adventurers and Mystic Manor. It will be a story led season that will focus on the supernatural side of IPs, with properties such as Gravity Falls, Star Wars Villains, and two exciting twists on The Haunted Mansion.

It's going to be the biggest season ever, and I'm anticipating a HUGE amount of applications. For that reason I have to announce that we need to cut the cast off at 20 people. That doesn't mean you can't apply after 20 people already had, that means that we'll be selecting the cast based on the quality of the applications. You want to think long and hard about your answers here.

To sign up, simply answer these questions in this thread. We'll base the cast and the division of the starting teams on the quality of the answers.

@JokersWild and I will go going live with an official launch podcast tonight at 1 AM eastern, but in the mean time feel free to start posting those applications! :D

1. Not only is this the grand return of a legendary competition, but I really want to get my feet wet in Imagineering again. The challenges look really creative (although I hope I don't have to watch Insidious to understand them. :confused::p) and I can't wait to be a part of this amazing comp. :D

2. Cars Land... Everything in the land really immerses you into the setting of Radiator Springs, from the amazing E-ticket to the smallest details. The Cailldac mountain range is the most gorgeous thing in a Disney Park. :eek::D

3. Tony Baxter- He created so many Imagineering classics, like the original Journey Into Imagination and Splash Mountain.

4. I'd pick Alien Encounter.. It was a perfect blend of scares and humor and I'd love to see it again.

5. Not really.. I have less drawing skills than a second grader. :(

This is gonna be great! :D

MANEATINGWREATH

Okay, here's the deal...

I'm very, very busy this summer, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and am still going to sign-up... But please, put me at the bottom of the list in terms of casting, regardless of my application. I would rather have someone else take my place than have me take the place of someone who really wants and deserves a chance to play. I don't want to be that guy who takes a spot and doesn't show up as much as he should or could.

As a figure in the game for several years, it is only fair that I come back to celebrate the game's triumphant return on the "new" site. I've been apart of SYWTBAI since late 2008/early 2009, and I've been waiting for this day for quite sometime. As a former Co-Host, Game Master, contestant, and 1st Place Winner, I'd love to flex out my skills and play again with a new generation of dreamers.

I might be bias, but Adventureland. Adventureland, Adventureland, Adventureland. For those of you who don't know, I spent several months working at Indiana Jones Adventure prior to quitting about two months ago. Even before I worked at Indy though, Adventureland has and always will be my favorite land, Disneyland's Adventureland to be exact. There is something about the "pulp fiction adventure" that has always intrigued me. From the dense jungles to the skulls and masks impaled on bamboo spears, Adventureland is the best land for a great number of reasons, mostly involving its general lack of PC and respect for a romanticized era of American Tiki Culture. I could write an entire article about its history and brilliance in its design, being honest, but we'll save that for another day.

This opinion changes from time to time, but currently, Tony Baxter is my favorite Imagineer. True, this seems like the easiest answer, but it is to this man whom we owe the existence of countless modern classics to, and nearly all of Disneyland Paris, the most beautiful Magic Kingdom in the world. Tony is one of those people who come around once every lifetime and really makes his mark on the world before he leaves it. Also, I owe him my operator role at Indy, so there's that. The sheer amount of detail in Indy's queue alone seriously just reeks Baxter's handiwork.

Country Bear Playhouse in Disneyland, California. One of my main reasons for visiting Walt Disney World this July is solely to see the Country Bear Jamboree in its somewhat original state. It has been fourteen years since I've seen the show in person, and I want to see it back at Disneyland, even though it will more than likely never come back... The attraction is a testament to the comedic skill and wit of Marc Davis, another favorite Imagineer of mine. At least they plastered Country Bear art on the Star Wars Land construction walls...

Ha! You know me, I only write. I suppose having knowledge of how a big E-Ticket like Indy can function logistically is a special skill. I also know how several behind-the-scenes operations work, so ironically, I might be a big help in the realism department.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

I might be bias, but Adventureland. Adventureland, Adventureland, Adventureland.

Oh, but don't you just LOOOOOOOVE Cars Land, Garrett? Don't you just think it's the crown jewel of Imagineering design and nobody will ever top it ever. Don't you think Cars Land represents everything that's great about a Disney Park. Didn't it make you proud to be a cast member knowing Cars Land was in the same resort?

Cars Land, Cars Land, Cars Land, Cars Land :p :p

(Little inside joke from when MEW, Monkey, and I waited two hours in the Radiator Springs standby queue ;) )

Also I'll definitely file you in as a back-up/alternate in case we don't get enough people. That's good to know. I'm still worried that the slots are going to fill up and were going to have over 20 people wanting to play.

spacemt354

Chili's
Oh, but don't you just LOOOOOOOVE Cars Land, Garrett? Don't you just think it's the crown jewel of Imagineering design and nobody will ever top it ever. Don't you think Cars Land represents everything that's great about a Disney Park. Didn't it make you proud to be a cast member knowing Cars Land was in the same resort?

Cars Land, Cars Land, Cars Land, Cars Land :p :p

(Little inside joke from when MEW, Monkey, and I waited two hours in the Radiator Springs standby queue ;) )
No fastpass? :p

I'm a new member who joined because of The House Cup and I've had an absolute blast in that so far and I'm excited to continue to imagineer on here. I saw Star Wars as a category which interested me, though I worry I won't have enough time for both and I want to stay in my first competition. Hopefully that isn't the case?.
Also hello Poe! Glad you're having a good time.

I believe (@TheOriginalTiki can correct me if anything has changed) but this is starting June 24th correct?

The House Cup is tentatively scheduled to end on July 1st. I have even gone so far as to rework the ending I originally had so that it's compatible with both. Because it won't do any of us any good if we are overwhelmed and get tired right out of the gate doing 2 comps.

Expect a fun filled House Cup finale! But one that if you'd like to play here as well...you'll be able to for a week!:)

Poe Dameron

No fastpass? :p

Also hello Poe! Glad you're having a good time.

I believe (@TheOriginalTiki can correct me if anything has changed) but this is starting June 24th correct?

The House Cup is tentatively scheduled to end on July 1st. I have even gone so far as to rework the ending I originally had so that it's compatible with both. Because it won't do any of us any good if we are overwhelmed and get tired right out of the gate doing 2 comps.

Expect a fun filled House Cup finale! But one that if you'd like to play here as well...you'll be able to for a week!:)
Hi. Thank you very much for clarifying.

MANEATINGWREATH

To be fair, we had done most of what we had wanted to do by noon, so waiting for two hours in standby wasn't that big of a deal. But still, that queue is absolutely awful, even with all the details and hidden fun facts scattered about. I'll never forget the sheer terror when the ride broke down for a hot second right before we got on, only to break down again after we got off the ride.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
To be fair, we had done most of what we had wanted to do by noon, so waiting for two hours in standby wasn't that big of a deal. But still, that queue is absolutely awful, even with all the details and hidden fun facts scattered about. I'll never forget the sheer terror when the ride broke down for a hot second right before we got on, only to break down again after we got off the ride.

Also, I think the time posted at standby said 80 minutes and I remember you being excited about that saying it wasn't usually that short...only to have it take two hours to get through the queue anyways :p

But honestly that was one of the shortest two hour lines I've waited in just because I was in good company and taking in the scale of Cars Land in person for the first time :)

And yea that momentary breakdown was freaking TERRIFYING! And the darn thing did actually go down RIGHT as we got off. The Tiki Gods were shining on us that day. A lot of stuff went right including me getting my picture with Maynard and then meeting up with Maynard on Main Street as he was leaving the park. I've said it before but that's still the single greatest day of my life. As excited I am for the July trip, those three days have some SERIOUS competition ;)

DSquared

I've obviously heard of the competition. and was very intrigued by the theme and gameplay aspects that make this season so special. And I'll admit I've been doing somewhat worse with Imagineering since I started comps, and I want to make my triumphant return to form!

I admire the brilliance of immersion, and I personally like the creativeness in Toy Story Playland. I love this land's creative use of the IP and attractions, but that will only be till Star Wars Land opens:p

Tony Baxter for me. Just the fact of when someone says Imagineer he pops into your head shows how much he has been able to accomplish and it is amazing to see where the parks are going with his help.

If this is an open question, Jaws, but if we're sticking to just Disney, Mr. Toad's needs to be back in WDW. It's a classic for crying out loud!

I'm ok at maps and artwork, but I am well credited (sometimes) with my video editing that I haven't used outside of video montages, but I would love to bring this skill of mine to my style of play.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Thanks to @mickeyfan5534, @Poe Dameron, @spacemt354, and @DSquared for being among the first to sign up. @MANEATINGWREATH has his application on hand but will only be in the final cast if we get an insignificant number of sign ups.

Also don't forget to like the SYWTBAI Facebook page if you use Facebook. We'll be posting daily updates, hints, and cryptic clues on the season's story all summer long!
https://www.facebook.com/So-You-Want-to-be-an-Imagineer-143825489045971/

You forgot me. :hilarious::cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom