So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 13: Get a Clue (Discussion Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I said Jurassic Park for the longest time, but studying Jaws for Spielberg Month I begrudgingly have to give that the edge in the storytelling and character development department. ET also feels like it's factory made to elicit the FEELS in the most non-manipulative way possible, and I love how that film takes what's essentially a couple blocks of suburbs and a small patch of forest and turns it into this huge adventure!

Space, I'll have to sit down and watch Close Encounters again. I've only seen it once and much like Catch Me If You Can (very under-rated imo) I was far too young to appreciate it on my first viewing.

Back to the Future Part II is definitely my favorite of that trilogy, I'll give you points there. I love how dark that film gets and how well it explains the time travel stuff with the Almanac.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Today's question of the day: With Emma Stone being cast in an origin story simply called "Cruella" and rumors of a second Malificent movie on the way, which Disney villain would you actually want to see a spin-off origin story live action movie for?

My pick would be Hades from Hercules. I'm not a huge fan of the movie in general but James Woods definitely steals the show. I think the interesting thing about Hades is that at the end of the day he's really just doing his job...a job that he hates and is cursed to do for eternity. I think you could mine some really interesting drama from the idea of a GOD who hates his lot in life.

Plus I want to see young Hades raising Cerberus as a puppy. Please make this happen! ;)

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Today's question of the day: With Emma Stone being cast in an origin story simply called "Cruella" and rumors of a second Malificent movie on the way, which Disney villain would you actually want to see a spin-off origin story live action movie for?

My pick would be Hades from Hercules. I'm not a huge fan of the movie in general but James Woods definitely steals the show. I think the interesting thing about Hades is that at the end of the day he's really just doing his job...a job that he hates and is cursed to do for eternity. I think you could mine some really interesting drama from the idea of a GOD who hates his lot in life.

Plus I want to see young Hades raising Cerberus as a puppy. Please make this happen! ;)

I'd be very curious to see a mature live-action Frollo movie detailing his ascension to high priest.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm very happy to announce the next Disney Debates Live! podcast which we'll be recording tonight around 11:15 PM Eastern.

Topics include...
-Pitch a premise for Finding Nemo 3
-How should "Guardians of the Galaxy" be incorporated into the Tower of Terror?
-What is the most brutal death of a Disney villain not including Clayton?
-Pitch a live action Pixar film starring John Ratzenberger and Bill Hader
-What is the saddest Pixar moment NOT including Up, Inside Out, or Toy Story 3?

For the question of the day, what would YOU do with a third Finding Nemo film? Finding Dory is huge hit and if money talks in Hollywood we'll definitely be getting a third movie sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

on of the day, what would YOU do with a third Finding Nemo film? Finding Dory is huge hit and if money talks in Hollywood we'll definitely be getting a third movie sooner rather than later...
Finding Hank :p :D

Actually though, his story had a lot of mystery and intrigue behind it that never got fully explained, so it could work theoretically...

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Finding Marlin revolves around our favorite cynical clownfish getting kidnapped by a group of homophobic mariachi fish, who kill Charlie and Jenny with jellyfish stingers. :jawdrop:

Now, it's up to Dory, Hank, and a traumatized Nemo to get Marlin back, encountering obstacles that prove the directors have run out of ideas, which include drunk submarines and chainsaw barracudas. :cool:

*puts down bottle of gin*
Y'all want me to make a serious pitch now? :hilarious:

spacemt354

Chili's
I honestly think it would be too hard to do another "Finding" movie. Like after a while, how many fish can you lose? :p

Finding Nemo was a financial success but it didn't get a sequel for 12 years. The only way I can see a 3rd movie is if they did something like Toy Story 3 where time passes.

Nemo grows up and has kids of his own that he loses and now is in Marlin's shoes as a father. But maybe in another decade or so.

DinoInstitute

I honestly think it would be too hard to do another "Finding" movie. Like after a while, how many fish can you lose? :p

Finding Nemo was a financial success but it didn't get a sequel for 12 years. The only way I can see a 3rd movie is if they did something like Toy Story 3 where time passes.

Nemo grows up and has kids of his own that he loses and now is in Marlin's shoes as a father. But maybe in another decade or so.
But did they really "lose" Dory? I thought the 'Finding' thing was metaphorical more so :p

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

Yea I agree with you in theory. I just think with Dory doing as well as it has been both critically and commercially there's no way they're not going to want to round off a trilogy at this point. And hell, with Cars 3 the only thing I'm hoping for with that is a redemption of Cars 2 and we'll see how it does in that regard. With Nemo 3 there's a lot of areas they could go in to make in interesting.

-Nemo growing up, for example. He was an adolsant in the first film, a teen in Finding Dory. The next logical step would be to see him as an adult, perhaps about to get married. They could even have Alexander Gould come back to play adult Nemo!

-I think you can do a lot with a third film that ties the main characters from the first two together. Mr. Ray would be an interesting character to explore because of the stingray migration storyline. A grown up Darla who's now a Sea World protester would be really fun to see! And of course after Dory I think were owed more of the Tank Gang!

I think Nemo in general was untouchable as a stand-alone movie until they decided to actually do it. Now that the sequel actually worked (for my money it's the best non-Toy Story Pixar sequel/prequel by a county mile, and even stands side by side with Toy Story 2 in a lot of ways) I don't see why they can't round out the trilogy in the same way they did with Toy Story 3. Kids grew up with Toy Story as well and look how that turned out when we all found ourselves in Andy's shoes having to face going out into the adult world right around graduating high school if you grew up watching the original Toy Story on VHS ;)

I think the same can be said for kids who grew up with Finding Nemo and are now high schoolers who are stoked for Dory. I think this is their franchise. I honestly saw more high schoolers in the movie theater the two times I saw Dory than kids and parents, simply because there's such a nostalgia to growing up with Nemo. I was already 14 by the time Nemo came out so I always appreciated the film more for its artistic merrit instead of having the nostalgic connection of watching it a billion times on DVD (that honor goes to films like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan,The Jungle Book, the Don Bluth collection, and damn straight...Rescuers Down Under ;) :D :p And Toy Story of course, as previously mentioned! )

For kids a bit younger than me, like you said Space, Finding Nemo is THEIR movie in much the same way The Lion King or Toy Story was to us Nineties Kids. I don't know what I'm blabbering on about, I just say give em' the chance to close out the trilogy in a killer way. With Dory being the success it is, if they could do it for Toy Story they can do it for Nemo.

Like I said, Cars I at least hope goes back to being "good". Just give me a good, character driven movie and I'll be happy, haha.
Toy Story 4 is an entirely different story altogether. Dragon and I basically refuse to acknowledge it :p :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Yea I agree with you in theory. I just think with Dory doing as well as it has been both critically and commercially there's no way they're not going to want to round off a trilogy at this point. And hell, with Cars 3 the only thing I'm hoping for with that is a redemption of Cars 2 and we'll see how it does in that regard. With Nemo 3 there's a lot of areas they could go in to make in interesting.

-Nemo growing up, for example. He was an adolsant in the first film, a teen in Finding Dory. The next logical step would be to see him as an adult, perhaps about to get married. They could even have Alexander Gould come back to play adult Nemo!

-I think you can do a lot with a third film that ties the main characters from the first two together. Mr. Ray would be an interesting character to explore because of the stingray migration storyline. A grown up Darla who's now a Sea World protester would be really fun to see! And of course after Dory I think were owed more of the Tank Gang!

I think Nemo in general was untouchable as a stand-alone movie until they decided to actually do it. Now that the sequel actually worked (for my money it's the best non-Toy Story Pixar sequel/prequel by a county mile, and even stands side by side with Toy Story 2 in a lot of ways) I don't see why they can't round out the trilogy in the same way they did with Toy Story 3. Kids grew up with Toy Story as well and look how that turned out when we all found ourselves in Andy's shoes having to face going out into the adult world right around graduating high school if you grew up watching the original Toy Story on VHS ;)

I think the same can be said for kids who grew up with Finding Nemo and are now high schoolers who are stoked for Dory. I think this is their franchise. I honestly saw more high schoolers in the movie theater the two times I saw Dory than kids and parents, simply because there's such a nostalgia to growing up with Nemo. I was already 14 by the time Nemo came out so I always appreciated the film more for its artistic merrit instead of having the nostalgic connection of watching it a billion times on DVD (that honor goes to films like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan,The Jungle Book, the Don Bluth collection, and damn straight...Rescuers Down Under ;) :D :p And Toy Story of course, as previously mentioned! )

For kids a bit younger than me, like you said Space, Finding Nemo is THEIR movie in much the same way The Lion King or Toy Story was to us Nineties Kids. I don't know what I'm blabbering on about, I just say give em' the chance to close out the trilogy in a killer way. With Dory being the success it is, if they could do it for Toy Story they can do it for Nemo.

Like I said, Cars I at least hope goes back to being "good". Just give me a good, character driven movie and I'll be happy, haha.
Toy Story 4 is an entirely different story altogether. Dragon and I basically refuse to acknowledge it :p :p
I think the only way it could work is if like I said, Nemo grows up and goes on an adventure as a parent. So it's a role reversal and keeps the story fresh. And I think Finding Dory benefited from a nostalgia boost after so long, as well as little to no family movies out that are good right now.

The reason why I think Toy Story sequels work is because they keep the focus on the main characters but put them in different environments and situations. If Finding Nemo 3 went off and did a movie not focusing on the trilogy of main characters, that reminds me of Sony and when they were planning Aunt May spin-off movies before Marvel came in and stopped that nonsense:p

I also may be in the minority but Toy Story 2 is my favorite Toy Story film. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom