So What's Disney's Big Gain from MyMagic+?

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Just wondering what you think the big picture of doing this new program and fastpass+ is? I know it must cost Disney a lot of $ to do all this. I started wondering what their financial gain is and/or do you think they're just doing it to make our day at MK easier? Maybe we will spend even less time in line and spend our money buying all those souvenirs and extras like what happened with regular fastpass? Any guesses? I was curious what other people think on this. It sure is going to be different.

lazyboy97o

Disney thought they were rewriting the book on what it means to have a theme park vacation experience. That the conveniences of MyMagic+ would be so great that to do without them would be unthinkable.

Finally upgrading the technological infrastructure of Walt Disney World is another aspect.

Better controlling crowds with existing park infrastructure saves on the "poor" investment of park facilities. Better knowing crowds also has the potential to better control labor costs on scheduling.

It is also another step in trying to keep people on property. Lock them into an ecosystem that is cumbersome to escape.

darthspielberg

By adding extra conveniences, it's Disney trying to add incentive to come to the parks and stay at the resorts, and buy stuff.

A lot of Disney fans dislike the idea, but I imagine Joe Schmo when they are introduced to it will love that they can book fastpasses in advance, pay for everything with it attached to their wrist and never have to pull out their wallet, and all the other perks of the program. When they start rolling out interactivity based on it for guests who have elected to have their name on the bands and in the system, kids are going to go nuts, parents are going to love it.

It's trying to modernize the vacation experience.

I fear that might be too much of a positive post, but it's how I feel. This isn't just Disney making a blunder. They know what they are doing, and the numbers coming in from tests are a lot more positive than they are negative.

Weather_Lady

Honestly, I have no idea how this is going to help Disney. It's a crazy amount of money to spend, just to gain a little insight into crowd movement. From my perspective, it's still diminishing the experience of guests who used to make efficient use of the old Fastpass system. We'll never have it so good again: next time my family visits, we'll experience longer lines at attractions that used to be walk-ons because there was no Fastpass line slowing down the standby queue (but will now have one thanks for Fastpasss+), and we'll have fewer opportunities to visit our favorite headliner attractions because we can't get more than one Fastpass+ for any of them in a given day.

Pulling my KTTW card from my pocket wasn't really all that difficult. I can't see myself saying, "Oh, thank God for this wristband! It has made my life so much easier now that I don't have that HUGE plastic card weighing me down!"

I'm sure many other guests will disagree -- at least, the testers, who are currently enjoying Fastpass+ with practically no competition IN ADDITION TO unlimited "old school" Fastpasses, will. When they show up at the Magic Kingdom mid-morning several months from now and try to change their Splash Mountain fastpass to a time that won't conflict with their lunch reservation, only to discover that the only remaining Fastpasses are at Stitch's Great Escape and that Splash Mountain standby waits are at 90 minutes, they might feel differently. Billion-dollar rubber bracelets can't help you there.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Honestly, I have no idea how this is going to help Disney. It's a crazy amount of money to spend, just to gain a little insight into crowd movement. From my perspective, it's still diminishing the experience of guests who used to make efficient use of the old Fastpass system. We'll never have it so good again: next time my family visits, we'll experience longer lines at attractions that used to be walk-ons because there was no Fastpass line slowing down the standby queue (but will now have one thanks for Fastpasss+), and we'll have fewer opportunities to visit our favorite headliner attractions because we can't get more than one Fastpass+ for any of them in a given day.

Pulling my KTTW card from my pocket wasn't really all that difficult. I can't see myself saying, "Oh, thank God for this wristband! It has made my life so much easier now that I don't have that HUGE plastic card weighing me down!"

I'm sure many other guests will disagree -- at least, the testers, who are currently enjoying Fastpass+ with practically no competition IN ADDITION TO unlimited "old school" Fastpasses, will. When they show up at the Magic Kingdom mid-morning several months from now and try to change their Splash Mountain fastpass to a time that won't conflict with their lunch reservation, only to discover that the only remaining Fastpasses are at Stitch's Great Escape and that Splash Mountain standby waits are at 90 minutes, they might feel differently. Billion-dollar rubber bracelets can't help you there.
A very large chunk of the investment is/was an infrastructure update that has been desperately needed to be done for more than a decade.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just wondering what you think the big picture of doing this new program and fastpass+ is? I know it must cost Disney a lot of $ to do all this. I started wondering what their financial gain is and/or do you think they're just doing it to make our day at MK easier? Maybe we will spend even less time in line and spend our money buying all those souvenirs and extras like what happened with regular fastpass? Any guesses? I was curious what other people think on this. It sure is going to be different.

Simply put... KNOWLEDGE

Knowledge is power and can be applied in a lot of ways.

minniemickeyfan

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I'm still confused on how all this works but starting to get the hang of it.
If you are staying off property do you still get to schedule fast pass plus ride times in advance with a ticket or annual passes linked or do you have to have a resort reservation linked? I'm doing a split stay between off in Dec and on in Jan.

GrumpyFan

It's unclear exactly how MyMagic and MagicBands help Disney, and they're not really saying.
I've actually given this quite a bit of thought, and wrote about it on my blog. Here's a snippet of what I wrote a while back.

First and foremost is guest spending. It's already been reported that early testing revealed guests wearing these, tend to spend more money. Why? The perception is that guests don't identify with the bands in the same way as cash money, or even a KTTW card which is similar to a credit card. It's similar to the Vegas poker chip mentality, where players tend to identify the chips with playing and not real money.

Second, is the area of advanced scheduling and planning. If more guests choose to use prior to their arrival FP+, this gives them the ability to get a clearer picture of how many guests will be in the park for a specific day, which allows them to schedule just the right amount of CMs, order food and beverage, etc.

Third, is the ability to capture and analyze guest data, including spending, movements and ride tendencies. There's a lot of other information they might be able to assess as well.

Hotel room –
  • notify hotel management – this could be used for emergency notifications in case of fire or bad weather, it would give management a more detailed view of how many guests are at the hotel and where
  • deliver baggage/packages – If they know you’ve checked back in to your room, they can deliver your packages
  • activating or waking up the environmental (heat & A/C) systems energy saving mode.
  • Bus stop, automated signalling for one or more buses based on how many guests waiting
Park Entrance/Park Ops
  • Transportation management – Identify which resort guests come from, or if from parking lot, allows for better management at end of day with more precise resources (boats/capatains, buses/drivers)
    Also, if there is a rainstorm or other event that causes a mass exodus prior to closing, they could know and automatically queue transportation based on how many guests were there from each resort.
  • Plan vs Actual – If guests take advantage of the advanced features such as FP+ ride reservations and Dining reservations, the systems could automatically adjust if guests change their minds or for some reason don’t go to their pre-planned destination. For example, if a family reserved FP+s for Space Mountain, 10am, but they still had not left their room at Animal Kingdom Lodge by 9:45, the system would automatically release the reservation they had for someone else to use. The same would work for dining.
  • Dining reservations – It would be assumed that if a guest is in the park for which they have a dining reservation, they would likely be using the reservation at the time they scheduled. However, if for some reason, they left the park, the reservation might automatically cancel or be released for someone else to use. The system could also verify the cancellation with the guest before cancelling.
FP+ Ride Queues
  • Exact number of riders in queue / on-ride
  • Exact wait times (no more red lanyards)
  • FP+ Usage
Gift Shop
  • Purchases – Sure, they could profile you, based on what you buy. Your preferences, colors, sizes? Although, I have to wonder how well this would work for us since we buy not just for ourselves but friends and family too.
  • Spending habits – How much you spend on various types of merchandise, clothing, toys, jewelry, etc.
  • Resort level spending
Dining
  • Food preferences
  • Allergies
  • Amount of food you eat – portion sizes? frequency?
Other data
  • Time you spend in park
  • Time you spend in room
  • Touring habits – early riser and arrival at opening, sleep in with later arrival, park closer, mid-day breaker, etc
  • Attraction preferences and types
  • Hotel Preferences, room preference, bed preference, pillow, towels, etc
  • Time of year preference to visit (this could be via a questionaire, or an accumulation of data over multiple visits), serves the purpose of tailoring a custom promotion/advertisement for you and your family
In short, this is going to provide them with mountains of data on how guests visit the parks and resorts. With that data, they can then tweak things to make it even more profitable (for them).

This is kind of out there, but It’s remotely possible Disney could have a second or third phase planned for this that is even more encompassing. A couple of years ago (Aug, 2010), Disney tried out a queueless waiting system http://bit.ly/XyRDGS at Rock N’ Rollercoaster and it now been implemented a form of this on the new Dumbo queue. Consider, if all of the attractions were linked to FP+, Disney could conceivably set up all queues in this way where guests could pre-schedule their entire park visit ahead of time. Or, a computer would do it for you based on a pre-selected experience type. Then you would simply show up at the park and mill about shopping, eating, playing interactive games or just sight-seeing until you get notified of your ride time. Whether that’s part of the ultimate plan, will have to just wait and see. I can't really see this happening though, due to the number of people who just want to show up and go about their day unplanned, but still, it's a possibility.

One more thought: With ticket prices inching closer to the $100 mark, many people have questioned whether a day at the park(s) is really going to be worth that much. Will visitors be willing to pay THAT much for a ticket? Rumors have been floating around that all of the big players are looking into alternative ticketing strategies that would ease the impact of raising tickets to this price. Speculation on my part (again), but with the MagicBand technology, Disney could implement a tiered ticketing system, offering the guest varying levels of “experience” or pre-planned packages with attractions and dining. This would be a similar model as the airlines, hotels and rental car companies, where if you pay more, you get more. For example, they might have a Premium Experience level that has 4 FastPass+ options, a Table Service credit, and free drink refills, then maybe a Standard Experience level that would include 3 FastPass+ options, a Counter Service credit and a free drink refills, then they would have a Basic Experience with just 2 FastPass+ options and nothing else. These might be priced at $125, $105 and $95 respectively, just as an example.

DisneyJoe

Imagine carrying food or souvenirs or luggage to your room - or even a child in your arms - it's much easier now to tap your wrist on the door and open it.

It also makes purchases at Point of Sale much easier - tap the band, enter your PIN, and you are done.

Ever have a pocket full of photopass cards because you couldn't find the one that the previous photographer gave you? No worry now - just tap your band.

My wife and I used MagicBands this week and had no problems except for an occasional finger scan issue at the gates, but that was my problem, I was fine once I got it right.

sublimesting

Imagine carrying food or souvenirs or luggage to your room - or even a child in your arms -
I got ahead of myself reading this and thought: Well kids asleep....CM should be along shortly to deliver her back to the room for the night while Mom and I ride more rides. This Magic Band thing is really cool!!!!

ddrongowski

It also makes purchases at Point of Sale much easier - tap the band, enter your PIN, and you are done.
Sorry but I had to jump on this one. If you are a resort guest and want your package delivered to your resort, you will still have to fill out the paper work, so it has no advantage on this. Now if they made it where it auto does it, then great, but they still require you to sign the contract.
So it was:
Hand card to cashier, have cashier hand you card, receipt and form to fill out, give form back to cashier, finish and walk away.
Now it will be:
Tap band, enter PIN, hand card to cashier, have cashier hand you form to fill out, give form back to cashier, finish and walk away.

So glad it will make it faster...o_O

GrumpyFan

Sorry but I had to jump on this one. If you are a resort guest and want your package delivered to your resort, you will still have to fill out the paper work, so it has no advantage on this. Now if they made it where it auto does it, then great, but they still require you to sign the contract.
So it was:
Hand card to cashier, have cashier hand you card, receipt and form to fill out, give form back to cashier, finish and walk away.
Now it will be:
Tap band, enter PIN, hand card to cashier, have cashier hand you form to fill out, give form back to cashier, finish and walk away.

Wow, now that's ridiculous! Sounds like that process was overlooked in the implementation of Magicbands, or else it's still being developed. I would send a message to guest relations, or go see them and ask for it to be logged. Regardless, it should be changed.

Makes me wonder if there's a way to get a message sent directly to the NextGen/Magicband development team.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Why does the cashier need your card to fill out a form you fill out?

This is just something that isn't integrated yet. A full solution would simply be an option in the transaction (would you like your item delievered to your room? Y/N).. heck even print it on the receipt and let the guest sign it if its necessary.

This scenario is not blocked from being improved by MB... it just isn't implemented it sounds like.

ddrongowski

This is just something that isn't integrated yet. A full solution would simply be an option in the transaction (would you like your item delievered to your room? Y/N).. heck even print it on the receipt and let the guest sign it if its necessary.

This scenario is not blocked from being improved by MB... it just isn't implemented it sounds like.
They have to fill out stuff on the form also. The form is a 3 or 4 page carbonless setup. If I recall correctly ,the white page goes to someone, the green page goes to the guest, and the pink form is for the resort for confirmation upon picking up. It is a legal contract form, and requires signatures on the forms as well as secondary forms (they have a proof book at the resorts when you pick them up). In some cases I have actually had to show photo id (drivers license) when using it for alcohol purchases, etc...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The form is a 3 or 4 page carbonless setup. If I recall correctly ,the white page goes to someone, the green page goes to the guest, and the pink form is for the resort for confirmation upon picking up. It is a legal contract form, and requires signatures on the forms as well as secondary forms (they have a proof book at the resorts when you pick them up). In some cases I have actually had to show photo id (drivers license) when using it for alcohol purchases, etc...

A system easily replicated if it were integrated into the POS system. What you describe actually sounds like a great example why the POS system was out of date if it can't accommodate things like this.

Think of 'extended warrenties' or on-demand credit applications. These are done by simply having the POS system print out an agreement, and once the agreement is logged, it can print out the additional downstream sheets necessary.

SteveW

I think it could be taken a step further by having your receipts emailed to you. As part of the profile setup in MDE, you've already set that up. If you've answered yes to deliver it to you room, sign a screen for the transaction and maybe a Y/N for the email option.

GrumpyFan

I think it could be taken a step further by having your receipts emailed to you. As part of the profile setup in MDE, you've already set that up. If you've answered yes to deliver it to you room, sign a screen for the transaction and maybe a Y/N for the email option.

Yep, any of these seem like they should be fairly easy to implement.
I understand the need for paper, if for nothing else to attach to the bag/package for the delivery person to be able to easily see and identify where to send it.
And, if the guest wanted a printed copy, then that's another click or yes/no. Then, like you pointed out, send the receipt/delivery ticket to you via email.

Hopefully, this process is being worked on, or at least planned for later, once they get all of the other issues resolved.

rael ramone

This is about getting deeper and deeper.....and deeper.... into your wallet.

Use the information gleaned from the wearers to see how they can cut offerings and get the highest margin possible on each and every guest.

Try to limit what you can do in a day, so to experience the same amount as other trips necessitates longer stays (at higher and higher prices with less and less amenities, of course).

To use it as a stick to stay in their hotels. A suggestion by the 'Unofficial Guide of 14' (whether this is via inside info or just an educated guess) says that FP(-) of headliner attractions will be *unavailable* (completely and totally regardless of availability) to those who are off-site (and only 1 per day for Value and 2 for Moderate) at some point.

To make people fearful of missing their tea cup 'experience' to see the boy wizard.

And at the end of your trip, a huge tsunami of SPAM based on the doings of you and your entire family (including your young ones that are off-limits to tracking to each and every other business in the country) - used by them and their 'partners' (like say, the companies that sponsored the stuff you 'experienced' there).

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
So it was:
Now it will be:

I would expect if the purchase is made with your MB/KTTW card then it can easily be tagged electronically (QR code) with your basic resort information for delivery to your resort gift shop as well and have basic information included in your receipt. Additionally expect that you will be able to be notified via MDE app/SMS that your package was ready at the GS/Gift Shop as well as possibly a "reminder" to pick it up when you leave the park or arrive at your resort.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
This is about getting deeper and deeper.....and deeper.... into your wallet.

Use the information gleaned from the wearers to see how they can cut offerings and get the highest margin possible on each and every guest.

Try to limit what you can do in a day, so to experience the same amount as other trips necessitates longer stays (at higher and higher prices with less and less amenities, of course).

To use it as a stick to stay in their hotels. A suggestion by the 'Unofficial Guide of 14' (whether this is via inside info or just an educated guess) says that FP(-) of headliner attractions will be *unavailable* (completely and totally regardless of availability) to those who are off-site (and only 1 per day for Value and 2 for Moderate) at some point.

To make people fearful of missing their tea cup 'experience' to see the boy wizard.

And at the end of your trip, a huge tsunami of SPAM based on the doings of you and your entire family (including your young ones that are off-limits to tracking to each and every other business in the country) - used by them and their 'partners' (like say, the companies that sponsored the stuff you 'experienced' there).

Take much of that as conjecture at this point, too many what ifs right now.

The SPAM, I expect more of it during my stay now. But we all know by now how to handle SPAM, [DELETE].

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom