So, I just rode transformers....

AswaySuller

Original Poster
I'm literally at the hotel after spending the day at USH and thought I'd post my two cents...

ok... So I rode this twice today.

I will say this....

WAIT FOR THE FRONT.
We rode first thing and were in the middle row... I personally enjoyed the ride much much more when I was in the front.

After my first ride I actually thought... "Well, that was good"...GOOD... not "OMG awesome"... Not "WOW", it was good... It was fine...

I think the line theming is fine.... I have read people's complaints about this, I only ever lined up internally and I would say the line theming is as good as spidey's.... Although IMO spidey's isn't great.

So let's cut to the chase,

I felt that transformers wasn't/isn't as good as spidey...

Here's why:

It's basically the same ride.. yet not as good.

I wasn't concerned about it being the same ride system as spidey in fact that prospect excited me a little... But to me it isn't just the same system.. it's the same damn ride.

The scene with the truck driving towards you.. It's here but it's a brick wall not a truck
The scene where a fireball is shot at you... It's in here, yet they use a red and orange light not actual fire.
The falling scene at the end where you are saved last minute... Its here too, yet you don't feel the "oh crap we're falling" like I do in spidey.

The grand rising up part is missing and man it misses something that impressive... To me that makes the falling scene what it is.

The real life sets arent as good as spidey's...
The effects ie wind, heat , water AGAIN aren't as good as spidey's... I found myself thinking "there should be wind here" or "that flame should be real"

Someone said there's a part In between scenes where there appears to just be a picture of a city on the wall..
They're right. It's just a flat photograph on the wall, it feels lazy, it felt like an after thought.

On a more positive note I'm unsure of timings but this felt longer than spidey to me. It may just be that it feels longer but it felt like there were more scenes. I felt myself thinking.."I have been riding this for a while" and that was a really good

Having the transformers battle it out right in front of you is cool as hell....

And I like the story.

I will be delighted to have this in the park, it's an awesome franchise to have and the ride is sill pretty damn good.... It just feels like the not as good sequel.

The kids are gonna love it, the everyday theme park goer is gonna love it, I LOVE it... I just love spidey a lot more...

And they're gonna shift a whole load of toys and merchandise because of it!!

Just my thoughts.

JT3000

You write that like you think TF and Spidy are the same layout? Can I assure you they aren't?

I think he was referring to perceived similarities between each ride's scenes rather than them sharing a layout. Transformers does use a number of the same gags as Spider-Man, but they appear to be done less effectively. I've yet to see it in person, but reports like this make me less excited for our clone.

cheezbat

Having also ridden it you can tell it definitely isn't the same layout as Spidey, but as AswaySuller posted it uses the same tricks as Spidey...the fire, almost crash, falling, etc.

I agree it's a good ride, but it's very VERY similar to Spiderman. I hope there are some changes to make the Orlando version different and better.

wiigirl

Thanks for the tips and incite!
75.gif

GLaDOS

I have to disagree that it's virtually "the same ride". I found it to be MUCH more exhilarating than Spider-Man. It's a much faster/fly by the seat of your pants experience that never lets up from scene one.

Spider-Man is a much slower/mellow feeling experience comparing to Transformers, especially after the recent refurbishment.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
JT300 hit he nail on the head....

It's the same tricks I was referring to not the narrative structure.

I really enjoyed this ride, it is really cool.

The character meet and greets of bumblebee and Optimus are also fantastic, what great costumes!

We're getting TF at USF without losing anything, and wow what a great ride to get.

boomerthom

The scene with the truck driving towards you.. It's here but it's a brick wall not a truck

Which scene?

On the subject of wind, which scenes have it? It seems like a ton of scenes would need it, specifically the high-speed driving scenes with Optimus and Bonecrusher, the Devastator vortex scenes (reverse wind I guess), the flying scene, and the falling scene.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
There's a scene where you turn around and the scoop (sorry I don't know the name for TF) says "woah, dead end" or something...

It just looked the same as when you almost crash into the truck.

The vortex scenes (I remember two) only had wind on the latter... Maybe it was broken... But the first vortex has no wind at all.

I do agree with Glados on the pace... Spidey does have a slower pace. This is a high speed chase from the get go.

Please don't think I don't like the ride because I really really love it....

I would also like to add that we had the most wonderful day at USH... Our best day of the vacation so far. Even better than Disneyland.
Kong 360 was fabulous, JP is superior to IOA's version, the staff were friendly an helpful and the backlot tour was amazing. Mainly because I got to go in Courthouse square from back to the future which made my day.

If anyone here works or knows someone that works there please pass on my praise.

cheezbat

I would also like to add that we had the most wonderful day at USH... Our best day of the vacation so far. Even better than Disneyland.
Kong 360 was fabulous, JP is superior to IOA's version, the staff were friendly an helpful and the backlot tour was amazing. Mainly because I got to go in Courthouse square from back to the future which made my day.

Isn't it sweet?
I really wish we had a direct clone of JP at IOA. Way more dinos and the multiple T-Rex and Dilophosaur attacks...so cool!

Getting to ride their Mummy a few times over again really made me wish the Orlando version had all the cool moving skeletons and hands and extended backwards portion.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
Definitely... And i wish it didn't have Brendan Fraiser yelling for coffee!

It's a great little park with a lot of history, it has come on leaps an bounds in the last 15 years or so.

Walt Disney1955

I thought Transformers was good. I'll go no further. Just good. Not as great as Spiderman. The whole 3-D thing and motion simulator thing is hopefully just a phase because I don't care for those rides which is why I didn't go on Star Tours on my recent trip to California. Already done it and its a rough ride.

Here is my question, are those Transformers characters real people in there? I asked a cast member and he was probably just playing the role but he said they were the same ones in the movies. They can "transform into a car." Okay so I didn't get a serious answer but I was looking at the costume and a small person could fit at the top of it. Or it is a very obedient robot like my wife thought.

Overall Universal Hollywood is a nice park. It is clearly inferior to Orlando though. The studio tour is the big selling point. But the Mummy is much better in Orlando. The layout is poor though. You have to go down 4 long escalators to get to some other rides. I realize this is an actual working studio and the rides are secondary but I get the feeling this could be a better park if they let it happen.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
The "Transformers" are costumes.

*Spoiler alert*

If you look closely they're actually kinda basic too just VERY well executed.
It's a guy in a coloured body stocking with the bits of "Car" attached afterwards.... they can't actually transform (like the one seen on Youtube a few years back).

I will see if I have a pic.

For a working studio I think they have done amazingly well... especially one built into a hill.
For me I get a kick that it's a real studio and everything else is secondary.
I always took issue that DHS and USF aren't really working studios.

AswaySuller

Original Poster
I know it does but it's pretty minimal and usually commercials or cable TV.
USH has big movies and A list tv shows that I've actually heard of....

USF's biggest credentials are Psycho IV and final destination... IV

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom