So, how bad it really is????

disneytati

Original Poster
Hey, guys! Sorry to ask you about this, but I'm planning my move to America next year, but the guys from my family are starting to have second thoughts about it because of the economic crisis. So, could you please tell me what the real impact is in everyday life? How is the situation in Orlando? How bad is it, really?
Thanks a lot!:wave:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Tati.

Move to Canada.

The crisis isn't bad now, but I predict it will get worse before it gets better.

Computer Magic

I can't speak for Orlando, but Northern Indiana isn't doing too bad. We have a local tax problem but homes in southern Lake County are retaining their value. New construction has slowed.

Wilt Dasney

Aren't you a teacher, Tati? Were you planning to stay in that field after you move? I would think education is one field where you won't have any trouble finding a job.

This could also be a good time to buy a house, since prices have fallen so low.

I'm just speaking generally, and I can't talk about Orlando in particular, but I don't think the economic problems would be a reason not to move here. Times are tough, but it's not really the doomsday scenario you might be hearing about.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is really going to depend on what field you will be working in. Right now if you are in a field such as medical, emergency services, mechanic, teacher, etc (essential services) you should be fine. If you work in construction, hospitality, sales or real estate (unnecessary services) hold off or at least prepare for a tough couple of years.

Right now is a great time to buy a house in and around the Orlando area. Last report that I heard Orlando currently has a 2 year supply of house to be sold. That means sellers, especially those that have investment properties, are desperate to sell and will take almost any thing to get out from underneath floundering investments. If you do decide to buy I would look at it long term (5 years or more) House prices are still stabilizing and will continue to drop until the inventory of houses on the market reaches manageable levels. Depending on who you listen to that will be sometime in 2009-2010 but will depend on what region you are in. Orlando might take a bit longer.

If I was you what I would do (providing that you are not planning to work an unnecessary service) is to move to Orlando and go into an apartment or rental property for about 6 months. In that 6 months prepare to buy a house. The market should still be real good for buyers at the end of that 6 months and you should have a good idea where you want to live and what you can afford.

rsoxguy

The American economy has always outlasted its critics. It is certainly more expensive to live here at this time, and certain jobs are at risk. On the other hand, every period of economic challenge in this Nation has been overcome with hard work and determination. Part of the blessing of taking part in a recovery involves having a hand in that recovery and maintaining one's faith in a system that grants opportunities beyond its own flaws. While we truly are experiencing difficult times right now, it can also be said that few people are starving in the streets. I wish you wisdom in your decision and hope that it will go well regardless of what you do. :wave:

disneytati

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks a lot for your replies, guys!!!

Yeah, I am an English teacher. I may continue in that filed, I don't really care about it... I'm worried about my husband, who doesn't speak English, and has no specific field, he's a driver here. I'm afraid he may not get a job. People here keep saying lots of disconnected and pessimistic things about the crisis in America, and I try to watch fox news international, but they seem to disagree about the situation as well, so I feel a bit lost about it.

I don't intend to buy a house right now, I'll probably rent, and only buy something after I am well established. I don't wanna buy something that big and then have to go back to Brazil, you know. I'll buy a car.

Thanks for the support words! It's a big dream of mine, and it's so close to coming true now...:)

disneytati

Original Poster
It is really going to depend on what field you will be working in. Right now if you are in a field such as medical, emergency services, mechanic, teacher, etc (essential services) you should be fine. If you work in construction, hospitality, sales or real estate (unnecessary services) hold off or at least prepare for a tough couple of years.

What about electrician?

If I was you what I would do (providing that you are not planning to work an unnecessary service) is to move to Orlando and go into an apartment or rental property for about 6 months. In that 6 months prepare to buy a house. The market should still be real good for buyers at the end of that 6 months and you should have a good idea where you want to live and what you can afford.

Yeah, I was gonna do that anyway, because of adaptation issues. I hope my family likes the place, but if they fail to adapt, we'll have to move back here...:(

disneytati

Original Poster
Aren't you a teacher, Tati? Were you planning to stay in that field after you move? I would think education is one field where you won't have any trouble finding a job.

I'm just speaking generally, and I can't talk about Orlando in particular, but I don't think the economic problems would be a reason not to move here. Times are tough, but it's not really the doomsday scenario you might be hearing about.

Hey! Long time no see!!! Thanks for the kind words. I feel better to hear an optimistic view of the issue.

disneytati

Original Poster
The American economy has always outlasted its critics. It is certainly more expensive to live here at this time, and certain jobs are at risk. On the other hand, every period of economic challenge in this Nation has been overcome with hard work and determination. Part of the blessing of taking part in a recovery involves having a hand in that recovery and maintaining one's faith in a system that grants opportunities beyond its own flaws. While we truly are experiencing difficult times right now, it can also be said that few people are starving in the streets. I wish you wisdom in your decision and hope that it will go well regardless of what you do. :wave:

Thanks! Your words have filled me with hope!:)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What about electrician?
(
It will all depend on what you intend to do. If your primary customer will be those needing repairs then you should be good. If you intend on going into new construction they there is still some dry times ahead.

What it all boils down to is if your job is dependent on something that people cut back on when money is tight and their employment in insecure. People cut back on things they do not really need and luxuries when money is tight. We do not go out to eat as much, entertainment is cut, new electronics do not get purchased, vacations get cut back or canceled, that new house does not ge built.

On the flip side there are industries that are necessary and simply can not be cut back on such as the medical care, fixing your car, etc. If you job is in one of those more recession proof fields you will weather times like this much better.

Rabflmom

Actually, here in Florida you might find finding a teaching job harder than in the past. Most counties have had to cut back not renewing 2 year or less contracts and froze hiring new teachers. With house appraisals going down( our house is in a neighborhood of $250,000 houses but has had so many foreclosures selling in the $150,000 or less range that our tax appraisal is now something like $158,000). Taxes still are in the $2400 a year range but schools are hurting for money.

Many businesses-even chains are disappearing overnight sometimes. There are cutbacks in many types of jobs. When people find themselves laid off from one job they can't find full time ones and are opting for 2 or 3 part time jobs without benefits just to keep the mortgage paid. Where I work we are down to 32-36 hour weeks as full timers. It hurts to lose that much every month. Unemployment is getting close to 8% and that doesn't ever take into account the ones who have been out of work for a long time and just quit looking. City and county employees are being laid off because the tax base isn't there especially since the increase in the homestead deduction. Many roads that are on the books to be repaired are being put back for future dates rather than the time scheduled.

If you are a teacher you might want to look into a teacher exchange. Not sure what the company is over there, but know we had a few do that when I was teaching here. It would get you here with a foot in the door to maybe being rehired to stay in the school you worked in as an exchange teacher.

Rabflmom

On the flip side there are industries that are necessary and simply can not be cut back on such as the medical care,>>>>>>>

Even some of the medical has been hurt with the things going on. Working in a hospital has not even been a sure thing. Many people I know who worked at office level for major medical companies have been laid off because they cut back on sites where the doctors work. Some doctors groups here have multi offices in different citiesor areas of town, but are cutting back to their main locations so the peripheral staff is being laid off. People who work in insurance billing have also been laid off in this area.
Our pharmacy at work has always had no problem making money(usually #1 in the nation), but with insurance restrictions on meds and the programs for $4-$5 prescriptions they have had to cut hours for the techs.

Times are tough, but has no where to go but up hopefully.

Rabflmom

Actually, here in Florida you might find finding a teaching job harder than in the past. Most counties have had to cut back not renewing 2 year or less contracts and froze hiring new teachers. With house appraisals going down( our house is in a neighborhood of $250,000 houses but has had so many foreclosures selling in the $150,000 or less range that our tax appraisal is now something like $158,000). Taxes still are in the $2400 a year range but schools are hurting for money.

Many businesses-even chains are disappearing overnight sometimes. There are cutbacks in many types of jobs. When people find themselves laid off from one job they can't find full time ones and are opting for 2 or 3 part time jobs without benefits just to keep the mortgage paid. Where I work we are down to 32-36 hour weeks as full timers. It hurts to lose that much every month. Unemployment is getting close to 8% and that doesn't ever take into account the ones who have been out of work for a long time and just quit looking. City and county employees are being laid off because the tax base isn't there especially since the increase in the homestead deduction. Many roads that are on the books to be repaired are being put back for future dates rather than the time scheduled.

If you are a teacher you might want to look into a teacher exchange. Not sure what the company is over there, but know we had a few do that when I was teaching here. It would get you here with a foot in the door to maybe being rehired to stay in the school you worked in as an exchange teacher.

disneytati

Original Poster

How does that work?

disneytati

Original Poster
:lol:

I'm trying to move to Canada to get out of the US. The move might be more political than economic though.

Yeah, I see. But you know me, right? My dream is to be American, not Canadian... I'm not moving to make money, like most Brazilian immigrants. I'd just like to get a job, that's all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom