So Disney IS A Bargain?

flynnibus

Premium Member
And then, compare any of those prices to an NFL game ticket (for 3 hours of entertainment), or an NBA game, or a A-lister concert.

But this again is the circular argument that 'hes ridiculously priced, so I can be too'. It's coffee costs $3-4 and no one blinks... someone set a high price that people accepted, so everyone else happily capitalized on the new price tolerance. Then people say "well starbucks isn't that much, look that other guy costs nearly the same..." *bangshead*

As for comparisons, you cite a NBA game... I'll cite a day at the ski lodge.. or ice rink.. or camping...

You get a lot for your money for a full day in a theme park... I don't think that qualifies it as a bargain.. just that you get a lot if you are willing to spend a lot AND spend all day or more there.

Still doesn't change that hitting the parks for a family is at the minimum... more than many people make in a week.

You get a lot of car for a Nissan GTR... I doubt if you sampled the public at large.. many would call a $90k+ car a 'bargain' :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I paid like $175/ticket 5 years ago for "O" and wasn't impressed for the money. I saw Copperfield too...gave it a meh.

Paying the crazy prices puts a damper on people :) The cheaper shows aren't bad.. comedy is always good.. Penn & Teller were great. I haven't seen other Cirque shows, but I really enjoyed Mystere back in the day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Six Flags only recently went bankrupt and although they are doing better, are still not even on the radar of theme park profits. Six flags earns about $75 million in profit on $1b in revenue annually. Disney Parks do about $2.66b profit on $15b in revenue. Think about that....that's 35 times more profit and twice as much profit margin.

You're comparing apples and oranges... Six Flags does amusement parks, that's it. Disney P&R is in many different businesses.. not just the parks themselves.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
You're comparing apples and oranges... Six Flags does amusement parks, that's it. Disney P&R is in many different businesses.. not just the parks themselves.
Very true...but Disney P&R is just that portion of the business. I realize the hotels, etc inflate the numbers, but the points remains. David and Goliath.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
But this again is the circular argument that 'hes ridiculously priced, so I can be too'. It's coffee costs $3-4 and no one blinks... someone set a high price that people accepted, so everyone else happily capitalized on the new price tolerance. Then people say "well starbucks isn't that much, look that other guy costs nearly the same..." *bangshead*

As for comparisons, you cite a NBA game... I'll cite a day at the ski lodge.. or ice rink.. or camping...

You get a lot for your money for a full day in a theme park... I don't think that qualifies it as a bargain.. just that you get a lot if you are willing to spend a lot AND spend all day or more there.

Still doesn't change that hitting the parks for a family is at the minimum... more than many people make in a week.

You get a lot of car for a Nissan GTR... I doubt if you sampled the public at large.. many would call a $90k+ car a 'bargain' :)
Even GTRs are not as good of a deal anymore, but $100,000 for a car that basically competes with anything (although not with the same prestige) is a bargain. You have to assume consumers are somewhat educated, which they are not always.

I'd argue the Disney experience is more GTR in terms of value than Lamborghini. Going to a movie for $100 for 2 is cheaper, but less of a bargain than a more expensive Disney trip. It's a hard argument, but I feel like wasting money in small doses does more damage than the one Disney trip that's planned for and done once in a while.

With the amount of times people waste money on far lesser experiences such as bad movies, Starbucks 4 times/week, EATING OUT (huge waste of money), the $11 margarita, the cigarettes, the wasted money on needless trinkets and trash, and the overall clueless strategies people have for car buying, insurance shopping, and overall spending habits, you could have a nice little travel fund for Disney.

For me, money spent is all about reward...everything is in scale of course, but $200 is $200. That adds up pretty fast even when you're just wasting money on the smaller things.

Otterhead

As a quick sidenote on crazy show prices, I definitely recommend checking out Goldstar. It's a free email subscription that's sort of like Groupon for theatre. They pre-purchase big seating blocks at a discount and then resell them. I've seen tons of touring Broadway productions (and actual Broadway shows) for $20 or less. Sometimes free.

Animaniac93-98

And those are the best shows...I paid like $175/ticket 5 years ago for "O" and wasn't impressed for the money. I saw Copperfield too...gave it a meh.

That's why I would use Vegas.com or Tix4Tonight for discounted tickets. There's also deals for multiple shows bought together if you use the right box office.

I'd only pay $175 for a Vegas show if I was getting VIP treatment (drinks, behind-the-scenes access etc).

With theatre tickets there's always options for discounts or reduced rates. Not so much for Disney park tickets.

jloucks

The numbers don't really support what you're saying either. You say Six Flags is more crowded than MK? I find it hard to believe.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is the most visited park and MK has 6 times the annual visitors based on 2013 attendance figures.

Sure, some people go to Six Flags, just like the state fair. I can tell you, comparing Six Flags to Disney is an absolute joke. They are in similar businesses, but it's like comparing 5th grade basketball to the NBA.

I've been to Six Flags pre and post bankruptcy...it's pretty awful. Maybe that's too harsh. It just isn't comparable. People go because they can't get to Disney and need some kind of entertainment locally. Unfortunately, Disney can't be everywhere.

What got me lured into this debate was the flawed logic that Six Flags has low attendance (and the discussion of what that means) and that it somehow sucks. I don't do crowds and cannot handle Six Flags on the weekend. ...it feels more packed (per sq ft and line length) than MK is on weekdays.(granted off season). Six flags isn't MK tho. There are tons of similarities, but not the same. I would never goto MK on Saturday either.

I have a Cadillac and a Ford Focus. The Cadillac is awesome, the ford, not so much. I could say the ford sucks, but that wouldn't be fair. To most, the ford is hunky dory, far from sucking. But compared to the Caddy or a Beamer... Blech. They both have 4 wheel, ac, windows etc, but woah what a difference. MK and Six Flags same comparison IMHO. Same price difference too, which is interesting (one cost about twice the other). You can tell a ford owner how his car sucks while driving around in a caddy/beamer, but probably some perspective flaws going on. Important to realize that.

What I wish I could figure out (actually I could run the numbers, but don't care quite enough) is what Six Flags numbers would look like if they had Saturday attendance/demand all week, all year. Six Flags, like Disney are out to milk your wallet dry. Six Flags tries to only be open when crowds are as high as possible. They even closed early on us once because crowds were too small!! ...plenty of people there btw, but some magic number wasn't met so we got the boot.

I like BOTH MK and Six Flags, because I can recognize and enjoy each of their strengths. I spend about 15 days a year at Six Flags and 7 at WDW, qualifying me to have an educated and experienced opinion. ...and I don't mind driving the ford either.

...this is nit picky, apologies, but my Six Flags never actually went bankrupt. Long story short, original location, different owners.

wdwfan4ver

The Six Flags parks have low attendance numbers. Didn't you just say if a park has low attendance, it automatically means "no one wants to go there"? How is Six Flags popular then?
Six Flags is a whole different animal than Disney theme parks because not all Six Flags run all year round.

Six Flags of America is only opened from May 2nd to November 1st this year, but it isn't open all the days those months either. Six Flags Great America being in Gurnee, IL prevents from being open all year around since it is outdoors.

When it comes to theme parks or amusement parks in the Midwest,they can't be open all year round like WDW if they are outdoors because of snow and cold.

I am saying this as a person who never been a Six Flags person although I went there once in my life and it was in 1994 or 1995.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

That's correct. I just posted the financials and Six Flags has had exactly 0 growth in attendance since 2008. You noticed that as well? Also, the number you're looking at compares all six flags locations, which would mean you have to include Disney's locations as well. Now we're talking 132M for Disney to 26M for Six Flags.

I'm sure they're shaking, but your point is taken.
You shouldn't compare Six Flags to All Disney theme parks for a reason. While I only went to Six Flags once despite living in the Midwest, Six Flag is very limited in Days open for many years due to the climate of the Midwest.

Six Flags Great America is only open this year for May 2nd the November 1st. Six Flags Great America isn't open every day in May, August, September, or October. In October, that park is only open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays except for one Monday that month.

BuddyThomas

Six Flags would go bankrupt again if Disney were within 1,000 miles let alone 20 miles. Oh wait, they have and they probably will again. The Six Flags in DFW is nothing short of awful.

Of course some people go to Six Flags...

Go look at my attendance post...Six Flags isn't even on the radar.
Well, at least the superior and condescending attitude is consistent no matter what thread you're on.

Castle Cake Apologist

It really is amazing how rude a bunch of grown- people get towards each other on this website over a friggin theme park.

It's pretty simple- if you don't like Disney and their theme park offerings and don't see the value of a Disney vacation, then DEAR GOD by all means don't go to the parks. I'm sure nobody is going to be mad about less people in line in front of them on Space Mountain. If you find Universal to be the end all better deal because they finally added a couple new good rides and lightly rethemed a few others, then PLEASE spend your money there and shut up about it.

Literally nobody comes to this DISNEY fan forum to be belittled for enjoying the product that Disney offers. We're a group of adults, would it be that ludicrous to start acting like it? Again, I cannot seem to reiterate enough that we are talking about a pair of THEME PARKS. The back and forth bickering is really getting old and is honestly more than a little pathetic.

It really is insane to me that you've even invented slurs for people who enjoy the very thing that this website is dedicated to. Please, call me a pixie dust snorter or Imagineer fanboi or whatever the hell else because I (Again, God forbid) enjoy time spent at WDW and want to post about it on a WDW website. A little growing up and a LOT of perspective would do many of you a whole world of good.

Carry on.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It really is amazing how rude a bunch of grown-*** people get towards each other on this website over a friggin theme park.

It's pretty simple- if you don't like Disney and their theme park offerings and don't see the value of a Disney vacation, then DEAR GOD by all means don't go to the parks. I'm sure nobody is going to be mad about less people in line in front of them on Space Mountain. If you find Universal to be the end all better deal because they finally added a couple new good rides and lightly rethemed a few others, then PLEASE spend your money there and shut up about it.

Literally nobody comes to this DISNEY fan forum to be belittled for enjoying the product that Disney offers. We're a group of adults, would it be that ludicrous to start acting like it? Again, I cannot seem to reiterate enough that we are talking about a pair of THEME PARKS. The back and forth bickering is really getting old and is honestly more than a little pathetic.

It really is insane to me that you've even invented slurs for people who enjoy the very thing that this website is dedicated to. Please, call me a pixie dust snorter or Imagineer fanboi or whatever the hell else because I (Again, God forbid) enjoy time spent at WDW and want to post about it on a WDW website. A little growing up and a LOT of perspective would do many of you a whole world of good.

Carry on.
Chill brah. It's not that serious.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@DisneyExpert
If you are looking for the Diznee Rah-Rah Social Club - you're in the wrong place. It's the third door down on the left.

If you only want the pro of everything and want a free jerk everytime you say how great everything is... maybe a site like the DIS is better for you. Here we take off the blinders and are allowed to see both the good and bad things.

Ariel1986

@DisneyExpert
If you are looking for the Diznee Rah-Rah Social Club - you're in the wrong place. It's the third door down on the left.

If you only want the pro of everything and want a free jerk everytime you say how great everything is... maybe a site like the DIS is better for you. Here we take off the blinders and are allowed to see both the good and bad things.

It's not about wanting to pretend everything's fine and never hearing or seeing anything bad- it's about not being allowed to say you still enjoy Disney World and *gasp* like it, or still find value with it, despite other people's views about the current "condition" of the place- without being belittled and scoffed at and spoken to as if you are some ridiculous, dismissable, unintelligent low-life! The snobbery on here if you disagree with anyone on a perceived negative is ridiculous. "Oh, you don't see the state of the parks and the low standards of the current management like I do? Well, then I am going to call you various names as you're obviously an idiot".

People are allowed opinions, people are allowed to express their love for Disney World and people are allowed to enjoy a holiday there and still find value- even if you and the "true" Disney fans with all your knowledge, "real insight and awareness" and dismissal of the current state of the parks don't.

Fans of WDW come to this site because it is one of the best and most informative for what is happening, and has a lot of members who enjoy/enjoyed WDW and are knowledgeable about the parks. You say to find another site if we don't like hearing anything negative-I could say the same, find another site if you don't want to hear people who still enjoy the parks and don't take it all so seriously! This site has no membership clause of "you must see how bad WDW and how it's not like it once was- and you can never enjoy it"!

And as @DisneyExpert said, some members also love WDW but also still have perspective that it is a vacation resort! It's not life or death or pretty much anything that would affect the health and well being of anyone here, if someone doesn't agree with the negative opinions or doesn't feel the need to campaign to "make a difference" about the "state" of the parks.

ULPO46

In other nations, when people think about America, they think of Hollywood, New York, Disney, and Washington DC. For them the idea of visiting any of those places is a huge dream and many people will save their entire lives to come and visit America, specifically Disney World. Althougj there are now resorts around the world, nothing says disney quite like visiting the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida or Disneyland in California. Sure we, Americans, are spoiled and think that these things are terrible, but to the once in a liftetime tourist, Disney Parks are the best thing in the world. Not every culture knows who the Hell Harry Potter is, or care about quality. Just because it's Disney these people will come to the resorts and spend lifetime savings and enjoy the place. Those are the true Disney Fans. It is a right to complain and to feel a certain way, but my God, we are so lucky we can say we have been to Disneyland or Disney World so many times.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not about wanting to pretend everything's fine and never hearing or seeing anything bad- it's about not being allowed to say you still enjoy Disney World and *gasp* like it, or still find value with it, despite other people's views about the current "condition" of the place- without being belittled and scoffed at and spoken to as if you are some ridiculous, dismissable, unintelligent low-life!

I don't think anyone has been painted as such for simply liking things.. including Disney World. Maybe the problem is people are not understanding why their post gets the response it does? I can pretty much assure you it's not because you like something... but generally is because people chose to be SELECTIVE in what they see/hear. Sure there is the typical 'I love the hat' and the retorts that happen there.. but more often than not, the opinion was formed with a narrow view. Sometimes people are just saying "are you aware of the alternatives?" or considered them... yet some will take that as an attack on them. Mainly because again, they aren't willing to open up and take in other inputs.

People are free to whatever opinion they want... but that doesn't mean people will necessarily embrace or respect one that is ill informed or defies common sense. If you say "I love paying 3x the price..." - it may be your opinion, but don't expect a group hug over it.

The snobbery on here if you disagree with anyone on a perceived negative is ridiculous. "Oh, you don't see the state of the parks and the low standards of the current management like I do? Well, then I am going to call you various names as you're obviously an idiot".

I can't speak for others... but for myself, and other posters I tend to respect... I don't see that until the person has demonstrated they aren't willing to consider anything but their preformed opinion and reject reality and substitute their own.

People are allowed opinions, people are allowed to express their love for Disney World and people are allowed to enjoy a holiday there and still find value- even if you and the "true" Disney fans with all your knowledge, "real insight and awareness" and dismissal of the current state of the parks don't.

Just because someone wants to subscribe to 'ignorance is bliss' - don't expect everyone else to reject everything they know to fawn along with you.

You say to find another site if we don't like hearing anything negative-I could say the same, find another site if you don't want to hear people who still enjoy the parks and don't take it all so seriously! This site has no membership clause of "you must see how bad WDW and how it's not like it once was- and you can never enjoy it"!

No, I said 'if that is what you are looking for' - that place has it for you. I never said for someone to leave here.. but don't whine it includes things YOU don't want. The site has plenty of tools to control what you want to get from the site.

There is no clause about what to enjoy.. but the site does have an owner that has allowed both pro and con views on the subject... so thereby there is a clause that says "you don't have to love everything" to be allowed to contribute.

I'd wager if people actually had an open mind about topics and took things less as an attack on their preferences... they'd feel a lot less singled out.

Mike C

Nobody here that I can see hates Disney, or doesn't like going. They just want it to be held up to the standards they themselves set. One poster mentioned how it's a big deal for people to go on the trips. It's up to Disney to maintain that.

Accountanteering and Executiveering have brought on the "rush" of negativity, because some have lost "faith" in that aspect. Not the standards themselves. Prices have doubled over the past 10 years, and there are less attractions and entertainment in DHS and Epcot than there were back then too. So the value for the ticket has decreased there. Magic Kingdom is a wash, but still the best park by far. It's no bargain, but it's a real nice luxury to go that a lot of people still would like to do. It's in the Walt Disney Company's hands to maintain that or not.

Last edited:

Otterhead

Nobod here that I can see hates Disney, or doesn't like going.
I'm seeing plenty of posts on these boards from people specifically saying "I don't really go there at all, and think it's a huge disappointment, and think it's a waste of money... and here's my opinions about why it's ridiculous to enjoy it." It's hard for me to take those comments seriously or see them as even-handed or open-minded, really.

Mike C

I'm seeing plenty of posts on these boards from people specifically saying "I don't really go there at all, and think it's a huge disappointment, and think it's a waste of money... and here's my opinions about why it's ridiculous to enjoy it." It's hard for me to take those comments seriously or see them as even-handed or open-minded, really.

I don't see hate, there are plenty of valid reasons for not thinking it's worth it currently. I see "Still would like to go, but it's not worth it for me to pay for it in the current state, and here's why." That threshold will be different for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom