Slow and Steady...A June TR!

Well, I have finally gotten to the task of sitting down and writing this. I know, took me long enough. The cast includes Myself, DH, DS (14), and DD--who had the good fortune of celebrating her 10th birthday on this trip. This trip was from June 11th-18th. We did a split stay starting with a Royal Room at POR, and moving to POFQ.

Some background here: DH sprained his ankle pretty badly, and would attempt the whole trip with his ankle wrapped, and one crutch. This would help set a slower speed than we are used to, but with the heat...Well, I'll get to it all.

This was our first trip flying United, and it was great. I didn't miss the SW cattle call at all, but everyone must not have gotten the memo. People were still trying to be in line first to get on the plane. Really not necessary when you have assigned seats.

This was also the first time our plane had no delays, and we would be at WDW early enough to hit a park the first day. Great start for DD's birthday! Got off the plane. First time I didn't get lost on the way to DME! Crazy easy to get to the right line. All 4 of us were waiting with absolute excitement, a whole trip ahead of us! Got on the bus, and the driver asked for a show of hands to figure out where everyone was going. And then we were off!

A light mist started, but
DSC03515.jpg

That just has a way of chasing the clouds away!

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
I am happy to say, Riverside Mill was a lot better than a long ago trip there. The food was fresh and hot. DD had the kids cheeseburger:
DSC00092.jpg

DS had a regular cheeseburger:
DSC00093.jpg

Since DH had a burger earlier, he got the Cajun chicken sandwich, which he said was really good:
DSC00091.jpg

And I ordered the BBQ burger. Best burger so far, but ended the trip in the top 3.
DSC00090.jpg

After dinner, it was back to MK! I love being there at night. This time we took care of most of Tomorrowland, since we hadn't even made it to that side of the park, yet.

The most important thing--if you are wearing your Dole Whip shirt (as my DS was), you are going to get one!
cc732472-8e5b-49de-aa45-f4a22d636b87.jpg

After another long night, it was back to a long line to catch the bus back to Riverside for the night.

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Thursday, June 13
The next morning, for a change of pace DD and I woke up early enough for breakfast. We both got kids Mickey waffles for breakfast.
DSC00132.jpg

At Riverside, the Mickey waffles are made with buckwheat, and I didn't really care for them. It just isn't the same. My DD liked the waffles, but didn't care for the potatoes that came with them.

Time to head back to the room to see if the boys are moving yet!
Good morning, Sassagoula!
d79d4f65-5992-426f-ac70-42c05e88a412.jpg

The boys were ready to head out to our "private bus stop", also known as the East depot. We spoke to an older gentleman, who was from another town in Illinois that he thought we never would have heard of. Not only had we heard of it, but we had been there for one of my DD's dance competitions earlier in the year! He and his wife had been waiting quite awhile for the AK bus. He asked where we were headed, and we told him DHS. Oh, well we should be in luck, because he hadn't seen one of those for a long time. Their AK bus finally came, and we waited. We were starting to get a little antsy. Then a regular Miears bus pulls up, and it is headed to DHS! Let me just say, this bus was a lot comfier, the AC worked better, and we got to watch a little of Happy Feet on our way. Much nicer than the regulation Disney park buses.

We finally arrive, with a little time to spare before our lunch ressie!
DSC00137.jpg

DS was really excited to try the new (to us) Star Tours, but DD hates that ride, so we sent the boys ahead, while we went exploring through the park. We got back to Tatooine Traders to see them. They just grabbed FP's because the wait was already really long, and DH's ankle just was not cooperative with long waits in lines. This was really becoming a challenge in our trip, and it made him feel really bad, which made me feel bad. If there was just some way he could get through the line, and not feel like he was keeping us from everything!

We made it to my DD's reservation pick--Sci-Fi Dine In. We tried to check in a little early, because it was so blasted hot. As a matter of fact, I never realized how hot DHS is. We were all sweating bullets, and uncomfortable. There wasn't anywhere to sit inside so we started out waiting outside, close enough to the door that we could get a little of the AC, and some shade.

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Where were we? Ah yes, waiting at SciFi, and about to run into--I won't give it away.

We waited quite awhile, but to be fair, we were early. Eventually, enough space cleared inside the waiting area, so the family and I ventured in. It sure was nice to get in out of the heat! That is when she came in. An older woman came in with her daughter and grandchild, and sat to the left of DH. She started complaining loudly that her daughter needed to sit down, she had knee surgery, and she shouldn't be standing! People had been so nice to my DH, that I immediately offered my seat. The woman was clearly embarrassed at her mother, and declined. I noticed the scar on her knee, and it was very old, so not a recent surgery, but still, I said I don't mind, go ahead. She refused again, and shot her mother a look.

We were finally called in to be led to our car. This Grandma type starts yelling to her daughter you need to sit down, hurry and take this spot. Apparently, DH was not moving fast enough for her. I looked back when I heard my DH say very loudly so everyone could hear, "Take your hands off of me! You are being very rude! Stop touching me!" And I see this lady pushing my DH, the guy with the crutch, off of the bench and out of the way, and my DH trying to find his balance (who I also might add, had knee surgery, probably around the same time her daughter did). I really couldn't believe anyone would do this, but she felt her daughter (now truly horrified) really needed the seat. I really wish I had gotten a picture of her. Luckily, they were not seated anywhere near us inside. Alright, done with the drama, and onto lunch.

The kids always love this place. And this was our best trip there! The waitress was great, very attentive. I had the bacon burger--yummy! Kids got their usual burgers, and we let them get shakes. It was too hot to skip something nice and cold. DH got the salmon BLT. He really liked it, and would get it again! (Sorry, we were busy talking about the crazy lady, and I forgot to take pictures).

After lunch, it was back into the heat. DD and I waited for the boys to do their ST ride. They really liked it! Then DD and I decided we were going to try and do something we always wanted to do, but never managed to! We were off to see Beauty and the Beast, while the boys were going to fit in Muppets 3D.

DD and I got to the theater in time to see them close the gate, so I tried to call the guys to let them know there was a change of plans. The cell phone they had would not receive any calls. UGH! Now what?

Well, we hadn't left them that long ago, so we made our way to the Muppet Theater, and there was a show about to start. I was convinced that they must be in that show, so we would find them after. By the time we got into the theater, I realized they weren't anywhere in there. I really didn't enjoy it, because I was getting anxious. How were we supposed to find them, now?

We left the show, and quickly made our way towards Sunset Blvd, and ran into them. We were all fairly hot, and feeling miserable. So, back to the hotel for a swim. When we first got to DHS, we pulled FP's for TSMM, but the return time wasn't until 9-10, so we would try to make it back!

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
We got back to the room, and DD got ready for the pool. DH and DS decided it was time for a nap. We were at the pool for awhile, when the sky started to get dark, and we could hear rumbling. Swim time is done! Went back to the room so DD could change, the boys were still out, so off to Riverside Mill for dinner! Enjoyed the pasta station, but really wished DH was there to split it with me, as it was a lot of food.

Did some exploring around Old Man Isle. Apparently, it is OK to drink at Muddy Waters, but we got yelled at for being by the play equipment, as it is too close to the pool, which was closed. We missed the rain shower while we were eating, but at that point, it wasn't doing anything.

Well, we finally got tired of waiting for the boys, who were just getting moving. It was already 8 at this point, and we had TSMM passes to use! DH told us to go ahead, as he wasn't sure he wanted to go back to a park.

DD and I had a great time! We used both sets of FP's (TSMM is one of our favorites!), and then headed for Adventures of Capt Jack--new to us. To be honest, I'm still not sure how I felt about it. We were going to leave, when DD noticed they were seating for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. With no guys to have to negotiate with, we went. It was a great show, as always! After that, the park was closing, and it was back to Riverside.

We got off at the main depot, so we could wander through Riverside Mill. We were in search of Magic Cookie Bars, thanks to @real mad hatter . Yee Haw Bob was in full swing, and while not my favorite, it was really nice to have some music, and see people out and about enjoying themselves. DD and I get to the bakery, so excited to try this magical concoction, but they were sold out! We would stop by twice more on our visit, and they would always be sold out. No Magic Cookie for us. DD was convinced that they only made 12 of them a day. I think @real mad hatter paid someone off, and had them shipped off!

Back to the room, to find it deserted. DD worked on her notes, and I did a little organizing. The boys finally showed up around midnight. They had been whooping it up at MK. Everybody got to bed pretty quick, because I was waking them up early (you know, like by 10), because it was moving day tomorrow!

real mad hatter

We got back to the room, and DD got ready for the pool. DH and DS decided it was time for a nap. We were at the pool for awhile, when the sky started to get dark, and we could hear rumbling. Swim time is done! Went back to the room so DD could change, the boys were still out, so off to Riverside Mill for dinner! Enjoyed the pasta station, but really wished DH was there to split it with me, as it was a lot of food.

Did some exploring around Old Man Isle. Apparently, it is OK to drink at Muddy Waters, but we got yelled at for being by the play equipment, as it is too close to the pool, which was closed. We missed the rain shower while we were eating, but at that point, it wasn't doing anything.

Well, we finally got tired of waiting for the boys, who were just getting moving. It was already 8 at this point, and we had TSMM passes to use! DH told us to go ahead, as he wasn't sure he wanted to go back to a park.

DD and I had a great time! We used both sets of FP's (TSMM is one of our favorites!), and then headed for Adventures of Capt Jack--new to us. To be honest, I'm still not sure how I felt about it. We were going to leave, when DD noticed they were seating for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. With no guys to have to negotiate with, we went. It was a great show, as always! After that, the park was closing, and it was back to Riverside.

We got off at the main depot, so we could wander through Riverside Mill. We were in search of Magic Cookie Bars, thanks to @real mad hatter . Yee Haw Bob was in full swing, and while not my favorite, it was really nice to have some music, and see people out and about enjoying themselves. DD and I get to the bakery, so excited to try this magical concoction, but they were sold out! We would stop by twice more on our visit, and they would always be sold out. No Magic Cookie for us. DD was convinced that they only made 12 of them a day. I think @real mad hatter paid someone off, and had them shipped off!

Back to the room, to find it deserted. DD worked on her notes, and I did a little organizing. The boys finally showed up around midnight. They had been whooping it up at MK. Everybody got to bed pretty quick, because I was waking them up early (you know, like by 10), because it was moving day tomorrow!
Thanks for this great report from my beloved Riverside..And thank the CM at the food court bakery..Magic Cookie bars arrived yesterday...LOL.;)

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Friday June 14

Moving Day! I woke up before everyone else, and noticed the light flashing on the phone. I didn't want anyone else moving until after I got ready, and started getting everything ready to be moved. By the time I retrieved the message, it had me in a bit of a panic. It was the front desk calling to tell me there was a problem with the card on file, and if I could come down to take care of it by 10? It was now 9:30. What the heck was this problem?

DH woke up and asked where I was running to, and I let him know. He was also stumped. I got to registration, and decided the concierge would be the best place to start. Apparently, my card wouldn't let the charges through. He then explained sometimes it has to do with the security number. So, I gave him that, and it ran through no problem. A lot of getting myself worked up over nothing.

I went back to the room with two ice cold vanilla lattes. I was sweating bullets by the time I got back to the room. Man it was hot, but not nearly as hot as the day before! I had called the desk the day before to find out about getting the luggage moved over to POFQ. They requested that someone stay to get the tags from bell services. So, I sent everyone else to get some lunch/breakfast while I sat and waited for bell services. The guy arrived right on time, at 11 (I figured I was going to need all the time I could get to get the rest of the family up and out, while I packed up). All the luggage was on its way, and so I went to meet up with the family.

It was then that I realized, I couldn't expect the DH to walk along the river to get to POFQ, and I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of this earlier. How in the world was I going to get everyone from point A to point B, without a long trip to a park, just to hop a bus to the other resort? And then the answer literally passed me by. By boat, of course!

I absolutely love the Sassagoula River boats, and the boat was already there to take us to POFQ. I don't know if the Captain controls the music that is played on board, but my son was wearing his New Orleans jazz shirt, with a picture of Louis Armstrong on it. All of a sudden, Satch was singing Zippity Doo Da! Very cool moment.

Leave the boat, and head over to check in. Check in was weird, because the lobby was under construction. This is were I met Bryan, the CM from New Orleans. I hadn't done on line check in for this part of the trip, because I wasn't sure how it would work switching the tickets over to new KTTW cards. The first thing I asked was there any way we could get a first floor room close to the bus stop so DH wouldn't have to walk too far? Even though it took over an hour, and even I was thinking I would have just told me to take the stinkin' room lady, Bryan was very patient with me. We ended up in a room in bldg. 4, first floor. 3 doors and a "street" from the food court, meaning everything was really close. Even though it was a handicapped room, we took it!

The room was ready, got in and had to call to have luggage delivered. This became a bit of a problem, because they couldn't find it right away. I had assured them that I saw the luggage make the trip from POR on the cart. (The guy saw me as he was headed that way, and asked if I needed a lift over to FQ.) Finally they found it, and brought it over. DD changed into her bathing suit, while I went to the Concierge to have the tickets put on the same card as the new room key. Done. And then off to the pool for 5 hrs, while the boys napped and chilled.
395ec823-f301-4f0e-9ea8-7b8f227ea4fe.jpg

DS came and found us, and asked what the plan was. Well, by this point I thought we were just going to have a day to rest (OK, mostly I felt bad about the ankle). Nope. The guys decided--back to MK!

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
So, here is the game changer visit of this trip. DH was being such a good sport with the ankle, and all. On our previous trip, a fellow guest saw DH hobbling around, and struck up a conversation with him, and brought up the topic of the GAC. After that, DH wanted to know if I knew about that!?!?!? Yes, I knew about them, but I figured you would need some kind of Dr's note or something. (Sorry, honey.)

Before going into the park, we stopped at Guest Relations, and after some hemming and hawing, were able to secure a GAC for DH. This was so great, because all of the walking alone was knocking the starch out of him. On a side note, I know it is rather controversial now, but it would have been nice if a CM had mentioned it or suggested it earlier in the trip. The guy was obviously hurt, and not faking it.

Back in the park, and off to Pecos Bill for dinner. Sorry, no food pictures, but the taco salad was pretty good, after raiding the fixin's bar. DH was able to make it over by FL after dinner, so we rode Peter Pan. One of our favorite rides! We still hadn't been on another favorite Carousel of Progress. Had to take a slight detour at Winnie the Pooh.
DSC00149.jpg

No sooner did we get on, then it broke down.

DSC03545.jpg

Getting out of the Honey Pot was a bit of a trick, but we were able to do it, and off to CoP. After some more slow walking (it really is amazing what you see when you slow it down), and a few more attractions, it was off to POFQ and a long standing tradition--ice cream at 11 at Sassagoula.

(Leaving the Park)
DSC03555.jpg

While we were eating ice cream (sherbet for me), it struck me how quiet the area was. Without Mr. Dyson playing, there were barely any people around. I really hope they bring him back, or have some kind of entertainment lined up. Live music really helps it. It also struck me how messy the place looked. Then I realized there was one person to clean the entire area. It would be the same story in the morning and afternoon. They really need more than one person for the area. It really made me appreciate Riverside Mill more, despite the annoying food court parade. That is something I never thought I would say.

Pooh'sBuddy

It was great. Today we got a Thank You card from Mickey and all of his friends. I'm ready to go back (after the heat breaks!).

We did, too. Sweet little ways to remind us that they're there just awaiting for us to spend more money! :D

thank you! And yes the meet up was very cool, indeed!

Yes, yes it was! :D

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Saturday June 15

After breakfast, we decided to head to DTD. Always love riding the boat, and we've never made it there during daylight hours. DS wanted to check out pin trader while we were there. While we were on the boat, it became obvious another storm was about to roll in. It was extremely hot, and very muggy, and very crowded. Made it over to pin trader, but DD, DH, and I were fairly miserable, so I suggested we go over to the Wonderful World of Disney.

The last time we were at DTD was St Patrick's day on our last trip in 2011. I thought that was crowded. Nope. This was nutty. We split up. DD wanted to look for a T-shirt, so over to the girls section. DD found a really cute one with Minnie wearing sparkly sunglasses and a yellow 3D flower in her "hair". We found her size, and went to pay for it. I tapped, and the lady told me my card wasn't set up for charges. What!?!? I've been charging, please try it again. Nope. I didn't have any cash or cards on me, so I said I didn't want it, and we were off to find the boys. DD was very embarrassed, as only a 10 year old girl can be.

It was really tough finding the guys, but we made it out, in time for it to start pouring. We made it to the boats only to find they weren't running. So off to the bus stop. This was our first experience with the DTD bus from there to POFQ, and it was painful. We waited for a very long time for our bus to show, and then it stopped at the other DTD stop. And then it went out to Typhoon Lagoon. The bus was already nearly full. So here is where I start to ask myself, if Disney is so smart, why not just start running a bus to pick people up from Typhoon Lagoon, which was now closed because of the threat of lightening, and just get them on their way? Tons of people waiting there, and not very many of them could get on a bus out of there, because they were all showing up full.

This marks the end of the final trip we will ever make to DTD. There is more than enough shopping in the parks, we are always miserable by the time we leave, which is never soon enough. There really aren't a whole lot of unique places that are different enough for us. It really ate up a lot of our vacation time, and just...never again.

The bus finally made it back to the resort (still raining by the way), and the first stop was the South Depot at POR. DD and I got off here and decided to walk back to POFQ. DD of course took pictures:

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

while we were out, Mickey made a new friend. Meet Terry!
DSC00173.jpg

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Back at the room, I got ice for DH's ankle, and we figured out something. We realized that WWD was the first time one of us had tried the tap and pay since we changed rooms. So, it was time for a trip to the concierge to figure this out. And at this point, it was also time to add a few more days to our tickets. So, for what ever reason, the credit card had "unlinked" itself from the card. Paid for two more days for each of us, had new KTTW printed up, and headed to Jackson Square for an experiment. I saw some cute sprinkles that looked cute for cookie baking at home, and special sundaes, and it was only $5. Brought it to the desk, tap to pay--doesn't work! CM tries it again nope! So she decides to try it the "old way", you know, where they take the card and swipe it? Works like a charm. Back to the concierge desk.

The CM who had just helped me (no exaggeration), 10 minutes ago, is gone. So, another CM helps me. I explain these were just printed, and in the few minutes it took me to get to Jackson Square--doesn't work. So she checks it out, and doesn't understand it. So, she prints up yet another round of KTTW. If it doesn't work, just tell the CM they have to run it the old way, if you try the tap too many times and it isn't working, it will lock you out. Great.

So, now my new worry is, if the Credit card isn't staying on this, what happens when we tap to enter the parks? She said it shouldn't be a problem, it seems to only effect your credit card, but just in case...she printed up the numbers for our account, so I would have proof of our tickets. After this, we never left for the parks without it. And no, the tap to pay never worked for us after our move to POFQ.

Time to rally the troops and get to a park. Finally, we manage to make it to EPCOT. We had an ADR for a late dinner at La Hacienda. We were really looking forward to watching Illuminations through the windows, and DH and I were really looking forward to something recommended by @real mad hatter . The Avocado Margarita! How different, how unique. How perfect to share one while we watch the fireworks?

DSC00186.jpg

The skies were gray, but at least it had stopped raining! We were able to hit Spaceship Earth and Soarin' before dinner. Soarin' was great, and we could really smell the oranges! Then off to slowly make our way to Mexico!
Here's our Photographer now!
b5ca40cb-5e60-4298-9672-1fbdafb3dc63.jpg

b709ad3e-2816-4b20-99a3-eb84bf9d11cb.jpg

When we were seated, we were disappointed that they didn't have a window seat for us. But, I figured it's air conditioned, it looks lovely, it smells good, and we are hungry! (And it turned out DH really wanted that margarita) The first thing we notice as we look at our menus--NO AVOCADO MARGARITA! We asked our server about it, and apparently they had just recently taken it off the menu. I'll just have a Diet Coke, thanks.

Things got better when this came out:
DSC03562.jpg

Both of the salsas were really good. The red one was just enough on the spicy side. Yum!
DH ordered the taco trio appetizer, switching out the pork one, for a second chicken one. Big enough for a dinner, but he said it was OK.
DSC03565.jpg

I ordered the shrimp tacos. I was nice enough to share one with DH. These were really good.
DSC03563.jpg

DD got the kids steak tacos and said they were the best tacos ever!
DSC03566.jpg

But DS ordered the best. He ordered the tilapia. I hate seafood, but I tried some, and this was oh my GOOD!
DSC03564.jpg

We were finishing up dinner, when they started piping in the sound track for Illuminations. The whole restaurant just stopped, and we were able to go over and watch the show through the windows. AMAZING. The only thing that could have made it better...an Avocado Margarita! (OK, I can get over it now.)

We left the restaurant, and went a little further into WS, as the crowds were trying to leave. My little photographer really enjoyed getting some pictures from the few pavilions we stopped by. We would walk from one bench to the next, and made it all the way to the bridge in time for it to go up, and watch the barge get put away.
DSC00215.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

Good night, EPCOT!
DSC03586.jpg

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Sunday June 16-Happy Father's Day!

I think this was my favorite day of the trip, and it was a long one! We started our day taking the bus to MK, and then hopping a monorail for The Contemporary. 11AM ressie for Chef Mickey's! I had managed to keep this a surprise for my DD. Her favorite character is Mickey, and in all our pasts trips, we never made it here. She was so excited when she figured it out, after being a tad disappointed that we weren't just going straight to MK.

We got there a little early, so we went in to one of the shops, so the kids could add to their pin collections. Still had a little time, so I took DD in search of the Minnie Mouse shirt we had seen the other day. I was really hoping we could find it somewhere, as I did not want to make the trip to DTD again. Nope, not there, so she got a little silly trying on hats.
Time to check in!
DSC00263.jpg

Breakfast was great! Seeing my DD's face as each character came by was even better. And, as a bonus, DS managed to leave stuffed!
DSC03599.jpg

Took the monorail back by MK. DS wanted to do MK "terminator style", while DD wanted to go swim. DH and DD went to the buses, and DS and I hit the park, starting in:
DSC03601.jpg

DSC03604.jpg
During our time in the park, my DS and I heard the best things uttered by others in the park. The first was getting into the boat for POTC. The guy in front of us tells his kid--who must have been 2 or 3--"Sit, Monkey!". The kid, who had been jumpy and wiggly in a way that only little kids can, suddenly stops, faces front, and sits on the boat bench, the way one of the Presidents at the HoP would sit.

For what it is worth, I would love to have this sign in my kitchen:

DSC03603.jpg

We walked over by HM, and there is no nice way to put it...we were dripping. And drinking water like mad. We ducked into Yankee Trader to cool off a bit. Still regret not bringing home the HM shirt we saw. Off to HM. Had a great ride, but getting off, we heard the next great line of the trip. 2 CM's were chatting, and one says "I don't let them bother me out here, because once I get them inside the ride, I can be as mean to them as I want!" So, remember to be especially nice to the HM cast members!:D

DS and I made it over to Tomorrowland, did a few rides, and then had to call it quits. We were both miserable. So, back to POFQ.
DSC00282.jpg

DH and DD were still having a grand old time swimming, we went back to the room, and found Mickey had made another friend!
a7be8311-dd40-4593-a2ad-444f340f13fd.jpg

Meet Mary Mouselina--Mary for short. Yes, that's her hanging out on the headboard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom