Skyway : Do You Miss It ?

bethymouse

Well.... the gondolas are returning, but only as transportation. I always enjoyed the sky ride. In Busch Gardens Williamsburg, it takes you to the other side of the park.:cool:

GVentola

I miss them. But for me, they were more of a thrill ride. I saw something in the news when I was a child, how some family was killed in a similar ride in some other non-Disney park by the gondola suddenly falling. So I was always a bit nervous when riding them. One of the last times that I rode them, I was over the fear some bit, and I was able to enjoy the sensation that I was flying over the Magic Kingdom.

Goofyernmost

I enjoyed it. One of a kind in the park and had no screens....
It did have screens in the park. Mission to Mars was a good example, but, that said. I didn't mind it as I like to see what makes things work. It gives me more respect for the illusion and how it is created. My wife, who was the holder of two (2) Masters Degrees, was very upset when she saw, from the Skyway, that the subs in 20K did not actually submerge. So to each his or her own.

The Empress Lilly

The lines were too long to serve as a means of transport. The lines were a bit too long to begin with, hopeless capacity.

It did offer some spectacular views. This was all before the time of Google Earth and realistic maps, so you got a great sense of the lay of the lands and of the buildings. I learned Fantasyland was not a European village but dressed up big boxes. :'(

Some of the magic of 20k was lost too.

The Empress Lilly

Loved it--really pleasant view riding above the crowds. I also recall the charming Swiss Chalet design of the Fantasyland Station. (Lots of trees, too! :) )

Skyway%20001.jpg

(Photo credit above: Jack Spence)
Ahh, now this I miss. Such a pretty sight, such a great transition to Liberty Square. The missing second half to the complementing architecture surrounding it.

I miss the Tomorrowland station too, a bit more glamorous than the current toilet box.

As for the pylons and buckets, now when I see them in pictures they look weird, misplaced. I do remember back then they added kineticism and excitement. Within one view in central Fantasyland you would see elephants soar, horses circle, submarines sail, and gondolas fly above. Now it is a giant empty steaming hot parking lot.

TL felt more exciting too, spaceships and gondolas and peoplemovers and racecars all going through and past and over each other.

Big Hair

It is missed. I rode it when I was in my teens in WDW and as a preteen at DL. It had its own bit of magic as well as being a part of the larger spell that Walt put on us.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Loved it when I was a kid. I know that chairlifts are basically passe these days as an actual "attraction" though. Although I wouldn't mind if they'd hook it to Top of the World lounge and just drop me off in Tomorrowland though. LOL! That would save me like an 8 minute walk!

Clamman73

I miss it...I always liked it when you first left the station and started going up and the down and back up turn at the Speedway. Was nice because it was open, but I'm interested to see how it compares to the new ones coming that are enclosed.

Also interested how the new one will compare if when you leave the station, will it rock back and forth a bit before it gets going like how it did on the Skyway. I haven't been in any modern gondolas so I don't know how modern ones compare.

Walt Disney1955

I liked it. I have memories of it. In 1991 I remember being in line for it and talking up with a French couple in front of us. I could speak nearly fluent French at 11 years old thanks to taking it in school so I had a nice chat with them while my parents kept trying to speak English to them (and they just stared back blankly). Anyway, I remember them talking about Paris getting a Disneyland in 1992 and I thought that was cool.

But I liked the Skyway. We rode it right after we did everything in Fantasyland and took it to Tomorrowland. I don't know how it ruined the magic, I think it made it more magical. It was like a bird's eye view of things. It didn't ruin anything for me. Both of the Busch Gardens still have it and I know Cedar Point has one too, so they are still out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom