1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike S, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Ehh, water parks, even in Orlando, are kind of a separate entity. Volcano Bay is also not going to blow away Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon either, it will probably be about on par.

2. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

I believe that you may be underestimating VB. Just the collection of state of the art slides alone blows either of the Disney water parks out of the water.

3. Tom Morrow

But theming and immersion-wise, it's unlikely it will beat them. I could be wrong, but it appears to be mostly exposed slides and minimal tropical theming albeit with a big fancy centerpiece. Don't reply with "Typhoon Lagoon is the same thing!" because it's much more than that. I also hope they take as many measures as they can to hide I-4 and Turkey Lake.The slide lineup is impressive though.

Guessing:

From a theming perspective:
    1. Typhoon Lagoon
    2. Blizzard Beach
    3. Volcano Bay
    4. Aquatica

From a slide offering perspective:
    1. Volcano Bay
    2. Aquatica
    3. Blizzard Beach
    4. Typhoon Lagoon

David2319 likes this.
  4. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Does The Polynesian Village Resort have minimal theming and is it less themed than TL/BB?

5. Tom Morrow

The concept art (yes the updated version) does not appear to be as fleshed out as Typhoon Lagoon.

6. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Man, the amount of defending Universal gets is kind of astounding. It's OK if someone doesn't like something .... LOL. Some people CAN'T do screen based attractions. And let's wait until VB is open before calling it the bestest thing ever. Some are still going to prefer the Disney water parks, it just is what is. No need to get upset. Universal is doing amazing things but they aren't flawless and perfect. (And just to add, I currently have a brand new pass to Universal and nothing for Disney). And having passed the volcano on I4, I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe when it's finished I will be. It's not me trying to knock anything, it's just a difference of opinion.

David2319, Tom Morrow and Mike S like this.
  7. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member Original Poster

Well I was just saying that VB is the next big thing between now and Nintendo. F&F? Meh. I'd rather see what they could have cooking for 2019.

David2319 and Kman101 like this.
  8. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

No, not really directed towards you @Mike S but I really don't care much for water parks. I know Disney has done a good job, theme wise, and I'm sure Universal will too, but this isn't going to be their true third gate. JMO. It just now can compete better with the parks down the road. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong though.

I'm looking forward to Ninetendo, it was a big part of my childhood, but it's still a couple of years off. I really don't know that it will reach Potter levels of crowds but Universal REALLY needs this kind of area. And the rides? Mario Kart and Donkey Kong alone will have me rushing to wait in line. I trust them to do them justice.

Tay, David2319, Mike S and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mike S

It could maybe happen in Orlando/Hollywood.

It'll definitely happen in Japan.

Kman101 likes this.
  10. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I would be shocked if Japan didn't have Potter level crowds for Nintendo land. Stunned quite frankly. I just think Potter is on a different level, even though Nintendo and Mario, etc. are steeped into our culture. I hate saying it won't reach that level in the US parks but I think that was a phenomenon we won't see repeated but who knows? Maybe there will be.

David2319 and Mike S like this.
  11. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

Star Wars will probably be just as bad as Potter and Nintendo has a pretty good chance.

David2319, Mike S and Kman101 like this.
  12. Mike S

Even bigger chance if the Switch is a hit.

Jones14 likes this.
  13. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

I live here and pass the volcano every day. How can say your not impressed when for the last 3 plus months its nothing but construction? Just saying

14. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Because I'm not. When scaffolding comes down I'm sure I will be. Why does it bother you that I'm not?

Mike S likes this.
  15. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me at all. I haven't visited Universal in years and don't play either side. But saying something doesn't look impressive from a construction perspective seems premature.

16. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Well we all make premature judgements. I think the volcano at Rainforest is more impressive. I expected some big imposing WOW Volcano and to me it wasn't. I'm sure when I'm there I'll be impressed.

disney4life2008 likes this.
  17. Tom Morrow

The size and height of the volcano are impressive, but it doesn't appear to be organically incorporated into its surroundings. Again I'm just basing this on how it looks from construction and concept art so its a bit unfair to judge early.

Kman101 likes this.
  18. Mike S

Kman101 and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  19. David2319

David2319 Well-Known Member

Well first and foremost I would like to apologize to the people I debated with a while back with Kong being cheesy or what not: it's a fantastic attraction and I loved it!!

It would have been even better had it been in a park like MK as it would be more unique relative to the attractions around it, but definitely IOA was the better fit compared to US.

I love Disney & Universal, but individual parks my favorite is IOA, but as a Resort: Disney, as there is just so much to do.

I cannot wait for Star Wars Land and Nintendo World, but I must say that Uni and SeaWorld both had preferred parking before Disney added it, but Disney hasn't been adding enough attractions to WDW.

I say as a forum we should try to instead compete and say which is better we just just acknowledge everyone has different tastes. My parents for instance cannot do simulators at all (they get very motionsick), but they loved Forbidden Journey (they could not resist riding it, but both felt bad afterwards). So obviously they prefer Disney, but they still thought Universal was pretty darn cool

I just got back from a trip where I went to SeaWorld, Disney, and Universal and they were all places where you have a blast!

Some of them are better for certain people, but I love them all.

Mike S likes this.
  20. Mike S

It's a beautiful addition to IoA. It breaks up the water rides and is only the second 3D ride at the park. USF is where they have the "screenz" problem.

David2319 likes this.