Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

lazyboy97o

I'm shocked at all of the hate Kong gets. People comparing it to Kongfrontation is silly. If that ride was opened today, people would question why it was still there. It was incredible for it's time, but it was nothing like the new one. Not every ride is FJ. Not every ride needs to be. It is exactly what they needed- a milder, yet exciting ride that nearly anyone can enjoy. The attention to detail is spot on. Personally I thought the new Hulk felt more bumpy, but it is still an incredible coaster and has a new amazing queue-just because I didn't like everything about it doesn't make it any less spectacular.
Skull Island: Reign of Kong's shortcoming exist completely independent of Kongfrontation and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

I still trying to figure out where I can find roadside tourist traps that build hundred million dollar attractions.
And who has said anything close to that?

rawisericho

You watching on youtube is nothing like experiencing it :D I rode the **** out of it, but it's time has passed, like Jaws. Sad to see the old stuff go, but comparing things today with things from 20 years ago is silly.

I rode Jaws a month before it closed and felt it still held up, I feel like Kong would've too.

I'm sorry, I'm just sick of the screens, not every ride needs them. I believe e that FJ is the best theme park ride on the planet and the screens work there just fine but UC is doing it to death with the AASM formula. Kong is a ride that just begs for animatronics.

Disneyhead'71

Skull Island: Reign of Kong's shortcoming exist completely independent of Kongfrontation and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

And who has said anything close to that?
Sorry, the comment about Kong that I was referring too was in the 4th gate thread. I got confused, but here is the quote.
I'm sorry but to me Universal only had one BIG thing in the past 6 years and that was Harry Potter. To me King Kong was a pretty bad attraction, it actually seemed like something of a road side attraction. And as well, I'm not that excited for Volcano Bay either, if you just compare the maps of the two disney parks you notice how unthemed volcano bay will be, which it could be a wonderful water park, but not a "Theme Park." As well, The universal rides seems to follow a formula that's getting old, too many screens, falling but catched at the last moment, falling from a building ect. Disney has its issues with not enough attractions in its parks, but Universals problem is its the same rides, just a different ip, all the rides follow the same cliches, and are just plain screens. Oh and dont get me started about fast and furious, ugh the one in hollywood is laughable

Musicman20

I rode it twice in October. Once on the day they shut for the Hurricane (just managed to sneak on before the line shut) and once on a busier day and just queued for a while.

The theming and queue are absolutely top notch. Not WWOHP, but fantastic.

The ride was better the second time. The first time, it was bad weather so we didn't go outside.

The trucks are great. I couldn't hear the driver all the time but it's a great feature. The way the truck moves is pretty mindblowing.

The screens? Well, I quite like Transformers and I like screens if they work well. I do think it would have been incredibly hard to have those dinosaurs etc as AA's fighting as frantically as that. I do however think they needed a section in the middle with more AA's and theming

I do like the fact you have two sides; both different. I watched different sides on different rides.

Isn't it basically parts of the Hollywood tram version but expanded?

The AA is outstanding at the end. Would I have liked to have seen more of Kong? Yes. But the detail of that head is something else.

I do miss the old ride. Out of all the Universal attractions from the past I miss that the most.

7.5 / 10

Tom Morrow

This forum is still the only place I've seen where people are going out of their way to defend that this is actually a great ride. Everywhere else, ranges from "bad" to "good or okay but heavily flawed"

Tom Morrow

I know, but WDWMagic now has the mindset that Universal can do no wrong, so let's use them to shame Disney because we are unhappy with Disney's decisions, and I suspect that this is a reflection of that.

JT3000

I know, but WDWMagic now has the mindset that Universal can do no wrong, so let's use them to shame Disney because we are unhappy with Disney's decisions, and I suspect that this is a reflection of that.

If WDWMagic thinks Universal can do no wrong, why is this thread (and several others) filled with scathing reviews? And I don't know what you've read elsewhere, but most people who like the ride aren't shaming Disney by doing so. There's no connection between the two.

Tom Morrow

If WDWMagic thinks Universal can do no wrong, why is this thread (and several others) filled with scathing reviews? And I don't know what you've read elsewhere, but most people who like the ride aren't shaming Disney by doing so. There's no connection between the two.
I meant in the main WDW subforums on here, Universal is often used as the example of "doing it right" when they have something to complain about with Disney now. Several posters defending Kong in this thread also quick to point out how WDW hasn't given us a true E-ticket like this or something innovative for years.

JT3000

I meant in the main WDW subforums on here, Universal is often used as the example of "doing it right" when they have something to complain about with Disney now.

Most of the people who praise Universal in the WDW section don't even post in the Universal section. Many of them are no doubt making those comparisons just to get a rise out of people.

Several posters defending Kong in this thread also quick to point out how WDW hasn't given us a true E-ticket like this or something innovative for years.

I don't know why, because if someone wants to criticize WDW, they already have plenty of ammo without having to use other parks' attractions. Replace "They haven't given us an E-ticket like this in years," with "They haven't given us an E-ticket in years," and voila, same great taste, no extra fat. Then Kong becomes unrelated to that discussion, as it should be.

Personally, I'm one who thinks the reaction on this site has been overly harsh. It's not a great ride, but few are. Now if the damn thing would just stop breaking down...

Disneyhead'71

Don't you know everything is about Disney? Give a good review to Toothsome's and your slamming Disney. Like a new Universal ride, you hate Disney.

Well, I'll give my direct opinion of the 3 biggies 2016 offerings.

Kong, a solid E Ticket attraction.

Mako, a smooth as silk airtime machine in a market that didn't have one.

Frozenstrom, pretty and vacuous. Like a Kardashian.

danpam1024

Don't you know everything is about Disney? Give a good review to Toothsome's and your slamming Disney. Like a new Universal ride, you hate Disney.

Well, I'll give my direct opinion of the 3 biggies 2016 offerings.

Kong, a solid E Ticket attraction.

Mako, a smooth as silk airtime machine in a market that didn't have one.

Frozenstrom, pretty and vacuous. Like a Kardashian.
PERFECTION!

BrianLo

It's partially a victim of the growing discontent at Universal Creative.

It does several things very well that UC hasn't been the best at necessarily.

1) It is an actual expansion of the park, without subtraction.
2) It properly adds a little variety to a corridor of rides that needed to be broken up.
3) They did a fantastic - and mostly complete - job with a facade!
4) It's a very accessible ride.

But on the whole it is another same-ish addition to a resort (primarily the fault of the Studios side) that has very little breadth in their recent attraction types. It is a great addition to IoA in terms of variety, but not necessarily the best for UOR as a whole.

It is also partially punished by its follow up acts - conversion of two more attractions (Twister and Disaster) in USO to hybrid simulators.

The creative additions have largely turned into:
1) Use a cool new vehicle
2) Make it a hybrid simulator
3) IP du jour
4) A narrative that consists of narrow escapes followed by more narrow escapes. No longer do we have the 'pleasure' of a tranquil build until something goes terribly wrong - we now start the ride with things going wrong and follow it with more things going wrong.
5) A refusal (or unwillingness?) to hide the seams. Whether that be facades, room transitions or literally the screens themselves.
6) Make it 3D
7) Their worst flaw of late, failure to keep things moving smoothly and dynamically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom