Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

JoeCamel

If people don't do the work to know where to sit I can't fault the design for their experience.

I don't know how many times it was posted to go right at the split in the standby queue, if you go express then you get the luck of the draw.

lazyboy97o

If people don't do the work to know where to sit I can't fault the design for their experience.

I don't know how many times it was posted to go right at the split in the standby queue, if you go express then you get the luck of the draw.
A good attraction doesn't require research on where to sit to see the basics of the experience.

Last edited:

CanadianGordon

After reading 95 pages and watching different videos, I can't help but feel let down that in the end it just turns out to be 3D screens and a big head. I've watched videos of the original, and longed to have ridden that ride.
I had high hopes. Now this has put me off visiting Universal the next time I visit in a few years. It seemed like they had a knock out hit. I wear glasses and really enjoy watching rides where I can get immersed. If I have to worry about extra glasses on top of my glasses and sitting in the right place so I can fully enjoy a ride...

It doesn't seem to me like the ride was properly designed in the first place. Gorgeous theming tho.

JT3000

This is just speculation on my part. I would think you would be able to see better if you didn't have the front cab and driver blocking your view.

Blocking your view of what? There's nothing in front of you except the temple gate. Everything else is to the side.

After reading 95 pages and watching different videos, I can't help but feel let down that in the end it just turns out to be 3D screens and a big head. I've watched videos of the original, and longed to have ridden that ride.
I had high hopes. Now this has put me off visiting Universal the next time I visit in a few years. It seemed like they had a knock out hit. I wear glasses and really enjoy watching rides where I can get immersed. If I have to worry about extra glasses on top of my glasses and sitting in the right place so I can fully enjoy a ride...

It doesn't seem to me like the ride was properly designed in the first place. Gorgeous theming tho.

I wear glasses as well and it's not a big deal. And it doesn't matter where you sit, you're not going to get a 100% perfect view of everything. That's a setback shared by all rides with large vehicles. Honestly, if this stuff put you off from visiting, I don't think you really wanted to visit in the first place.

CanadianGordon

I wear glasses as well and it's not a big deal. And it doesn't matter where you sit, you're not going to get a 100% perfect view of everything. That's a setback shared by all rides with large vehicles. Honestly, if this stuff put you off from visiting, I don't think you really wanted to visit in the first place.

I think you're misinterpreting what I said. I DID visit last year and was hugely disappointed by the sheer amount of screens that were not properly optimized. It takes you out of the moment and ruins the ride for me. I can wear glasses on top but a lame 3d effect means nothing if it's not made properly. All it takes is for one element to be out of alignment and you feel sick.

rawisericho

Ugh I rode this thing a few weeks ago for the first time (on my Hurricane Matthew trip) and was incredibly disappointed. Wanted cutting edge animatronics, got bad CGI. I LOVED Kongfrontation and to those who say that the Kong AA at the end was "of another century" I'd say that UC should probably do a better job of not letting me see into the pit Kong's in so I can see where his torso cuts off. Just disappointing.

PorterRedkey

Blocking your view of what? There's nothing in front of you except the temple gate. Everything else is to the side.

If you are right behind the driver, as I was on my ride, you have to turn your head completely to the left or right to see the screens. If you are further back that effect is less. In the back you have some peripheral vision which can help you know when to look at what screen ( like this < | When you are up front, it is more like this >| ) In front, your vision is blocked to the right-front and left-front, leaving only a right side or left side view.

On the plus side, I did have a good view of the AA driver and it did move its head and mouth (nice detail).

Last edited:

Frankie The Beer

This ride stinks. It did not live up to the hype created by the fansties. In fact I would say they killed it because of it. Its mediocre, a 5 out of ten might ride again.

PorterRedkey

That is a good practice. Let's blame the rider for not sitting in the right seat. And if some seats are so bad, why on those seats on the attraction at all?

I am sorry Universal my bad experience on Kong was my fault - I take it all back! :banghead:

danpam1024

I'm shocked at all of the hate Kong gets. People comparing it to Kongfrontation is silly. If that ride was opened today, people would question why it was still there. It was incredible for it's time, but it was nothing like the new one. Not every ride is FJ. Not every ride needs to be. It is exactly what they needed- a milder, yet exciting ride that nearly anyone can enjoy. The attention to detail is spot on. Personally I thought the new Hulk felt more bumpy, but it is still an incredible coaster and has a new amazing queue-just because I didn't like everything about it doesn't make it any less spectacular.

rawisericho

I'm shocked at all of the hate Kong gets. People comparing it to Kongfrontation is silly. If that ride was opened today, people would question why it was still there. It was incredible for it's time, but it was nothing like the new one. Not every ride is FJ. Not every ride needs to be. It is exactly what they needed- a milder, yet exciting ride that nearly anyone can enjoy. The attention to detail is spot on. Personally I thought the new Hulk felt more bumpy, but it is still an incredible coaster and has a new amazing queue-just because I didn't like everything about it doesn't make it any less spectacular.

What???? I watched Kongfrontation on YouTube yesterday, I would ride the out of that thing.

danpam1024

What???? I watched Kongfrontation on YouTube yesterday, I would ride the **** out of that thing.
You watching on youtube is nothing like experiencing it :D I rode the **** out of it, but it's time has passed, like Jaws. Sad to see the old stuff go, but comparing things today with things from 20 years ago is silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom