Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Bairstow

I'm with him. I'm not sure if I'd go with "terrible" but Gringott's overuse of screens is far less forgivable than Forbidden Journey because there was just no call for it.
How hard is it to make fake rock tunnels to zoom through? Knott's Berry Farm figured out plaster indoor rockwork half a century ago.
However, Gringott's biggest flaw is that its super-complex ride system has one really good surprise up its sleeve and does it right away.

GLaDOS

I'm with him. I'm not sure if I'd go with "terrible" but Gringott's overuse of screens is far less forgivable than Forbidden Journey because there was just no call for it.
How hard is it to make fake rock tunnels to zoom through? Knott's Berry Farm figured out plaster indoor rockwork half a century ago.
However, Gringott's biggest flaw is that its super-complex ride system has one really good surprise up its sleeve and does it right away.

You do realize like the vast majority of the zooming you do is through fake rock tunnels, right?

Gringotts is a far, far better overall attraction than Forbidden Journey

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I saw a rumor that the Kong ride will be able to switch between and outdoor/indoor configuration to all indoor when there is bad weather. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Disneyhead'71

I believe that maybe you should take a ride through Gringott's without the glasses on. There is a mind boggling amount of fantastic rock work in there.

Bairstow

I believe that maybe you should take a ride through Gringott's without the glasses on. There is a mind boggling amount of fantastic rock work in there.

Done it. There are a number of periods of time where you're moving in total darkness past blank black walls.
It's not that the rockwork that's there isn't good (though "mind-boggling" it is not); the problem is that the overall ride path is very short and most of the time you're stationary and watching movie screens. The high-ish speed tunnel sections should have been much longer. Unlike Forbidden Journey (where the rider is supposed to be flying outdoors), there is not a compelling reason not to build all the environments as actual sets and figures rather than relying on screens, again. It would have made for a better ride and a much better use of the ride vehicles, which only briefly get to perform to their real potential. On its own terms it's not a bad ride, but as a followup to Forbidden Journey it disappoints.

MagicGoofy

Do you know why? I mean the ride vehicles look like they're covered, and I would think a storm would only enhance the atmosphere of the gate scene, which I certainly wouldn't want to bypass. This strikes me as a strange decision.

Insiders have already said (not ont his site) that the concept art veichles a are much diffrent, the ones that will be on the ride will be bigger and the top might or might not be there.

Bairstow

Insiders have already said (not ont his site) that the concept art veichles a are much diffrent, the ones that will be on the ride will be bigger and the top might or might not be there.
Bigger than the one in the concept art?
It already made them look like Kilimanjaro Safari vehicles.

And I agree, having an inclement weather mode is ironic when your concept art explicitly shows the ride vehicle getting rained on.

21545102.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom