Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

celluloid

I do not know how much faith I would be putting in the bypass concept for inclement weather. That would cut out the impressive effect of the Temple Gates opening up. The same way the Skull Island 360 trams drive into the building during inclement weather,(I know they don't compare to FL's thunderstorms. I am a Floridian) I would think it is safe to presume that these can too. A night ride in the pouring rain would be so atmospheric. I always recommended it for Jaws (RIP) and Jurassic Park River Adventure.

AliciaStella

You will be able to see the big gate opening and closing while in line for the ride, and when walking by on the pathway. So if you don't get to ride through it on your ride because of bad weather, it won't be as if you won't have at least seen the gate walking in. Sure, it'd be awesome to go into the gate, but it won't be a showstopper to miss that element.

AliciaStella

I decided to get some video in addition to my usual construction photographs this week. It's very exciting to see everything taking shape, especially now that we have concept art to compare it to! I assume the archway they're building near the pathway is the same one we saw in concept art last week. I made a side-by-side comparison image just for fun. More pics on my blog as well.

kongpare.jpg

P1030861-1024x768.jpg

P1030857.jpg

P1030863-768x1024.jpg

P1030862-1024x768.jpg

P1030839-1024x768.jpg

P1030853-1024x768.jpg

P1030841-1024x768.jpg

There's more pictures posted here as well. Let me know what you think of the video! I don't do those very often.

celluloid

There would be not much point to a bypass as the Jeep can and likely will just drive over a space and grating that takes care of most of the dripping wetness from a rained on truck. Trucks coming in from outside would already be wet anyway. The same way The Backlot Tour Vehicles, Universal Trams and other rides have gone in and out of buildings in the rain just fin, this ride can do the same. The vehicles are covered so unless it is for direct lighting threat "Black" they would only close for the typical 5-10 minutes that those kinds of cells float over Central FL. Not worth designing an alternate route for.

DisneyFanaticUK

My only problem is that the show-building itself is visible from Toon Lagoon (as seen in the recent video), this removes some of the immersion in that area of the park IMO. Does anyone know if they will do some extra landscaping to rectify this minor issue?

JoeCamel

My only problem is that the show-building itself is visible from Toon Lagoon (as seen in the recent video), this removes some of the immersion in that area of the park IMO. Does anyone know if they will do some extra landscaping to rectify this minor issue?

Don't have inside info about this but I would think they will do what they can. You are never going to hide all that just like they don't hide the JP ride building or the castle. I think it builds excitement for what is to come as you walk along, if you wanted true imeresiveness you would have to do a lot more walking and spread them out.

I think I can handle seeing great rides and lands from other parts of the park.

DisneyFanaticUK

Don't have inside info about this but I would think they will do what they can. You are never going to hide all that just like they don't hide the JP ride building or the castle. I think it builds excitement for what is to come as you walk along, if you wanted true imeresiveness you would have to do a lot more walking and spread them out.

I think I can handle seeing great rides and lands from other parts of the park.

Fair enough, I'm not some pixie duster and I realise that nothing is perfect. I'm a fan of both Toon Lagoon and the Jurassic Park area, this new ride will only add to that awesome area of the park!

JoeCamel

Fair enough, I'm not some pixie duster and I realise that nothing is perfect. I'm a fan of both Toon Lagoon and the Jurassic Park area, this new ride will only add to that awesome area of the park!

I think the 100M$ question is what are they going to do with the theater in Toon/Marvel? That is a good chunk of land and could be used for something spectacular. I am sure there are plans and ideas somewhere for it just waiting on a greenlight.

celluloid

I think the 100M$ question is what are they going to do with the theater in Toon/Marvel? That is a good chunk of land and could be used for something spectacular. I am sure there are plans and ideas somewhere for it just waiting on a greenlight.
No doubt there are plans for it. I figure if Toon Lagoon ever does get spun into Nintendo(if any land I think that would be the area) than we would see that spot utilized. Although underutilized it is not unused. There are special events that are held there such as The Harry Potter Celebration, but the calling for that space could easily be distributed elsewhere.

Mike S

Original Poster
No doubt there are plans for it. I figure if Toon Lagoon ever does get spun into Nintendo(if any land I think that would be the area) than we would see that spot utilized. Although underutilized it is not unused. There are special events that are held there such as The Harry Potter Celebration, but the calling for that space could easily be distributed elsewhere.
Nintendo is going over KidZone at USF. All insiders pretty much agree on this.

Mike S

Original Poster
Completely replacing KidZone. Like Diagon Alley replaced Amity.

ET is rumored to be staying with a reconfigured entrance coming from Hollywood Blvd.

Animal Actors is most likely leaving.
Technically Amity wasn't completely replaced. There is one building to the left of London that still has Amity signage on it. I always wondered if it was left there as a little tribute. You can see it in this pic all the way on the left.
image.jpg

JoeCamel

Technically Amity wasn't completely replaced. There is one building to the left of London that still has Amity signage on it. I always wondered if it was left there as a little tribute. You can see it in this pic all the way on the left.
View attachment 93329

Not to mention the tributes throughout the Alley, I think if you lifted a manhole cover you might see some of Jaws down there :hilarious:

Mike S

Original Poster
Not to mention the tributes throughout the Alley, I think if you lifted a manhole cover you might see some of Jaws down there :hilarious:
My favorite is the shrunken heads singing "Show Me the Way to Go Home." I love that whole scene in the movie, from Quint and Hooper comparing scars to Quints shark story all to end on that lighthearted note and then going back to the Shark.

celluloid

The Amity Lobster Signage painted on the side of Disaster's Station Building is not so much a tribute as they did not need to replace it but I suppose it kind of works for both. It is there because the park was carefully designed to transition as best they could between lands. San Francisco would turn into Amity quickly with the Wharf theme becoming New England Fishing Town.

If Nintendo does go into KidZone it would really have to almost include Animal Actors and such as the area is not very big land wise to put many attractions even with Barney and Curious George/Fivel combined.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom