Six arrested for illegal theme park ticket sales

trr1

Original Poster
did a search and nothing came up

Aug 3, 2010

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...6080540439074NXC&pre=http://wdwinfo.com/&tt=0http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...6080540439074NXC&pre=http://wdwinfo.com/&tt=0

Six people have been arrested in Osceola County for selling theme park tickets illegally. On Saturday, the county's Sheriff's Office conducted an undercover investigation of ticket booths on U.S. Highway 192 and found illegal sales of 2,000 theme park tickets, worth $395,000.

The vendors were accused of reselling multi-day park tickets that had unused days left on them. The tickets were for Universal Studios, Walt Disney World, and SeaWorld. This offense is a misdemeanor; offenders can receive a fine of $1,000 and up to a year in jail.

Five business were involved in the reselling of the tickets. Officers arrested two vendors at one booth and one at each of the other booths; they were transported to the Osceola County Jail.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Five business were involved in the reselling of the tickets. Officers arrested two vendors at one booth and one at each of the other booths; they were transported to the Osceola County Jail.
And I'll wager that they will be back on 192 doing the same thing by Monday morning.

kaos

did a search and nothing came up

Aug 3, 2010

Six people have been arrested in Osceola County for selling theme park tickets illegally. On Saturday, the county's Sheriff's Office conducted an undercover investigation of ticket booths on U.S. Highway 192 and found illegal sales of 2,000 theme park tickets, worth $395,000.

The vendors were accused of reselling multi-day park tickets that had unused days left on them. The tickets were for Universal Studios, Walt Disney World, and SeaWorld. This offense is a misdemeanor; offenders can receive a fine of $1,000 and up to a year in jail.

How is reselling these illegal? They didn't steal them, so.... I'm confused

JML42691

How is reselling these illegal? They didn't steal them, so.... I'm confused
The tickets are listed as not being transferrable or allowed to be re-sold, and if any tickets had biometric scans recorded from people who used them previously then a new user wouldn't be able to get into the park, which I am sure is considered fraud.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just like the laws in states that have major ski areas that set limits on their liability. It's amazing how far some states will go to help keep money in the pockets of their employers.
Tourism in Florida generates a huge amount of tax revenue and creates hundreds of thousands of jobs. Tourism is the #1 reason why we have no state income tax in Florida so as far as I am concerned they can get all the "breaks" they deserve.

I don't get it. If it's illegal how do they blantaly get away with it? is it that nobody wants to strictly enforce it?

I never knew of this law but I'm glad I do now. I'm getting tired of seeing the signs all over the place.
Ticket resales are not exactly a high priority for the sheriffs department. They will bust these places every couple of years but new ones will pop up as soon as the old ones go down. Also the punishment for this crime is quite minor....typically just a fine. A $1000 fine for a 5 to 6 figure a year profit is just a cost of doing business.

rsoxguy

Ticket resales are not exactly a high priority for the sheriffs department. They will bust these places every couple of years but new ones will pop up as soon as the old ones go down. Also the punishment for this crime is quite minor....typically just a fine. A $1000 fine for a 5 to 6 figure a year profit is just a cost of doing business.

Hmm.. you seem to have this whole thing figured out. Umm.. do you need a slightly Red Sox obsessed business partner? We can go halfees.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hmm.. you seem to have this whole thing figured out. Umm.. do you need a slightly Red Sox obsessed business partner? We can go halfees.
Naw, I have this thing called honor and integrity. They both cost me quite a bit of income every year but I am good with that.:lol:

Kobe!!

Hypothetically speaking if I had a family of four with 3 day hopper passes and we were already scanned into MK and then went to EPCOT but we didn't use the same ticket we all used to get into MK would we get in, or what would happen exactly?

Would we have to just flip though the tickets till we got the right one?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hypothetically speaking if I had a family of four with 3 day hopper passes and we were already scanned into MK and then went to EPCOT but we didn't use the same ticket we all used to get into MK would we get in, or what would happen exactly?

Would we have to just flip though the tickets till we got the right one?

All tickets purchased at the same time are tied together to prevent such a thing. If Mom used Dad's ticket she could still get through.

SMRT-1

frankly, i am not sure how they can sell tickets that have unused days on them. i thought the tickets are attached to a finger scan. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom