Sinkhole Opens Near WDW

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...s-up-in-florida-resort-near-disney-world?lite

"A 40-foot-wide sinkhole caused a three-story building at a Florida resort near Disney World to collapse early Monday.

Everyone in the building was evacuated safety before part of it collapsed.

Firefighters arrived at the Summer Bay Resort, near Clermont, Sunday at about 11:30 p.m. ET after people reported the building had started to shake, Lake County Fire Rescue's Battalion Chief Special Operations Tony Cuellar said.

Cuellar said the sinkhole was beneath a central elevator shaft connected by breezeways to two apartment blocks.

“The building on the west side … a portion of that structure just collapsed. It’s literally breaking in half,” he said at about 3:20 a.m. ET.

The elevator building was leaning over at “about 30 or 40 degrees,” Cuellar said.

A building at a Florida resort collapsed early Monday after a sinkhole opened up.

He said 20 people had been living in the building but it had been evacuated and everyone was accounted for. A nearby building with 16 people in it was also evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Cuellar said the hole was about 10 feet deep and 40 feet in diameter.

“It’s not expanding outward so we’re just watching it to see if it’s sinking downward,” he said.

The resort - about 10 miles west of the Disney attraction – had made 50 other rooms available to the evacuees, Cuellar added."

WDWFan_Boston

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...s-up-in-florida-resort-near-disney-world?lite

"A 40-foot-wide sinkhole caused a three-story building at a Florida resort near Disney World to collapse early Monday.

Everyone in the building was evacuated safety before part of it collapsed.

Firefighters arrived at the Summer Bay Resort, near Clermont, Sunday at about 11:30 p.m. ET after people reported the building had started to shake, Lake County Fire Rescue's Battalion Chief Special Operations Tony Cuellar said.

Cuellar said the sinkhole was beneath a central elevator shaft connected by breezeways to two apartment blocks.

“The building on the west side … a portion of that structure just collapsed. It’s literally breaking in half,” he said at about 3:20 a.m. ET.

The elevator building was leaning over at “about 30 or 40 degrees,” Cuellar said.

A building at a Florida resort collapsed early Monday after a sinkhole opened up.

He said 20 people had been living in the building but it had been evacuated and everyone was accounted for. A nearby building with 16 people in it was also evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Cuellar said the hole was about 10 feet deep and 40 feet in diameter.

“It’s not expanding outward so we’re just watching it to see if it’s sinking downward,” he said.

The resort - about 10 miles west of the Disney attraction – had made 50 other rooms available to the evacuees, Cuellar added."

Read that too. Clermont is nowhere near WDW. I guess adding Walt Disney World to the headline gets more page views.

Club34

Wake me when there's a sinkhole under Stitch's Great Escape...after hours of course. Hey, it would force them to make a new ride or something. Actually, after reflecting on that, they probably would just paint a big mouse face on it and call it Mickey's Big Hole. Kids might like it. Of course they would be begging parents for money to throw into the hole which would undoubtedly turn a small profit for the company. Jeez, now I'm giving them ideas. Don't get mad at me if this is the next miniature model that is seen at some unveiling event. I can see it now, "...sink into adventure!"

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Clermont is nowhwere near WDW. For the record.
Read that too. Clermont is nowhere near WDW. I guess adding Walt Disney World to the headline gets more page views.

I Google mapped it from their resort to the Dolphin, cause that was the first hard address I could find on property. It comes up as 10.1 miles and a 19 minute drive, not bad for off property commute. It always seems to take me longer than that to get from AKL to the MK by bus.

For the record, if I was fortunate enough to live within 10 miles of WDW, I consider that close.

Pondering: Could you folks be confusing Clermont with Clearwater, that is about an hour and half away?

luv

Clermont is absolutely near Disney. It's not right on top of it, but to say it is "near Disney" is not a stretch.

This sinkhole stuff is so scary...if you live here. I know everyone thinks it's a big joke, but it isn't to me. Not since that poor guy got swallowed by the earth while lying in his bed. :(

Thank God nobody was hurt this time.

Last edited:

gboiler1

Wake me when there's a sinkhole under Stitch's Great Escape...after hours of course. Hey, it would force them to make a new ride or something. Actually, after reflecting on that, they probably would just paint a big mouse face on it and call it Mickey's Big Hole. Kids might like it. Of course they would be begging parents for money to throw into the hole which would undoubtedly turn a small profit for the company. Jeez, now I'm giving them ideas. Don't get mad at me if this is the next miniature model that is seen at some unveiling event. I can see it now, "...sink into adventure!"

They could do Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Nemo14

According to MapQuest it's 6.62 miles from AKL.
I think what's confusing them is the "downtown" area of Cleremont is several miles northwest of Disney property, but Cleremont itself extends quite further south.

luv

Clermont is nowhwere near WDW. For the record.
Clermont is so close to Disney that many vacationers stay in Clermont.

I like Clermont a lot. I looked at houses there. One of the houses had a view of the Disney fireworks. I almost moved there and actually decided not to just because it is so close to Disney and has all those tourists.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Clermont is absolutely near Disney. It's not right on top of it, but to say it is "near Disney" is not a stretch.

This sinkhole stuff is so scary...if you live here. I know everyone thinks TS a big joke, but it isn't to me. Not since that poor guy got swallowed by the earth while lying in his bed. :(

Thank God nobody was hurt this time.

I'm with you. We had one on the end of our road about 10 years ago. A 12 x 12 foot sink hole in the road about a second after my DH drove over the road. Scared the heck out of him, rear view mirror and it was gone.
Chicago had one this summer that swallowed multiple cars and the past month in Indiana at the Dunes a sink hole swallowed a young kid and it took 3 hours to dig the poor child out (he is getting much better)

luv

My mom was a pink lady at the hospital in Cleremont for many many years. Quite familiar with that whole area!
I googled it, but all I could find was a cocktail. I think it was also the female "gang" group in Grease.

But what sort of pink lady was dear old mom?

Nemo14

I googled it, but all I could find was a cocktail. I think it was also the female "gang" group in Grease.

But what sort of pink lady was dear old mom?

That's what they used to call the volunteers at the hospital. They have since renamed them to something more official, but the old timers still refer to themselves as "pink ladies". When mom was hospitalized this past winter there, we got an earful from some of her old cronies about that! :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's what they used to call the volunteers at the hospital. They have since renamed them to something more official, but the old timers still refer to themselves as "pink ladies". When mom was hospitalized this past winter there, we got an earful from some of her old cronies about that! :D
Were they not also called candy stripers at one time?

luv

Good for your mom - volunteering. She sounds like a peach!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom