Silly tip to beat the summer heat at Disney

Goofyernmost

You act as if we all have this option...:cautious:
I'm sure that some don't have that option, especially if it is work schedules that prevent it. However, many times it is just a decision. I always went in February when my kids were still in school. They had a mid-winter break and we would go then. We couldn't go for two weeks, but, we still went and that was including 5 days of car travel to get there and back. We still had a great time and saw everything at one point or the other. That includes outside things like SeaWorld, Universal, Cypress Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, Sunken Gardens in St. Petersburg and Silver Springs. We even managed to drive on Daytona Beach and visit things in St. Augustine including Marineland.

Granted, at the time WDW and the others were no where near as crowded as they seem now, but, still. Where there is a will there's a way.

Victor Kelly

We always went in summer, June, July or August. I have been there in every month of the year though. My wife and I prefer winter time. This is due to lack of the oppressive heat. But winter has it's own problems, the high humidity makes it feel colder than it is, and it is not always as sunny as in summer depending on how the weather is acting.

Goofyernmost

We always went in summer, June, July or August. I have been there in every month of the year though. My wife and I prefer winter time. This is due to lack of the oppressive heat. But winter has it's own problems, the high humidity makes it feel colder than it is, and it is not always as sunny as in summer depending on how the weather is acting.
Never had that problem. After leaving -20 degree F weather in Vermont. It would only get slightly cool. I used to get such a kick out of showing up at MK wearing shorts and T-shirt while all the CM's had Parka's, Knit hats and mittens. I could not even imagine how they were going to cope if it really got cold. I've had to scrape frost off my windshield, but by the time the parks opened it was always pleasant.

To be completely honest though, now that I have moved to North Carolina, which isn't the hottest State in the Union**, I do get chilled a little quicker or perhaps it is just another fun fact about aging.
Just last winter we got 2 inches of snow one day and it stayed cool enough that the snow did not disappear for 4 whole days. It was awful! :jawdrop:;)

Victor Kelly

Never had that problem. After leaving -20 degree F weather in Vermont. It would only get slightly cool. I used to get such a kick out of showing up at MK wearing shorts and T-shirt while all the CM's had Parka's, Knit hats and mittens. I could not even imagine how they were going to cope if it really got cold. I've had to scrape frost off my windshield, but by the time the parks opened it was always pleasant.

To be completely honest though, now that I have moved to North Carolina, which isn't the hottest State in the Union**, I do get chilled a little quicker or perhaps it is just another fun fact about aging.
Just last winter we got 2 inches of snow one day and it stayed cool enough that the snow did not disappear for 4 whole days. It was awful! :jawdrop:;)

Actually with high heat an humidity, your blood thins which keeps your body cooler. So when you are in heat, you will feel cooler faster even after having moved from a cooler northern climate.

12_Ears_Dad

Original Poster
But many don't. That was the point of the thread. I see so many posts on here about how unbearable the Orlando heat is. (My opinion is that its' not that bad really, but that's another story). I see "It was so hot, it was unbearable, we were miserable by mid afternoon" a lot on these threads. I've seen it in person, although not specifically at Disney... parents and kids exhausted by the heat while they sip on their sodas. So good for you for @raven drinking your water. You deserve to pat yourself on the back .

Last edited:

Tom P.

While I agree that drinking lots of plain 'ole water is a good idea, it's a myth that soda is either not hydrating or even dehydrating. The majority of soda is water. Your body absorbs that just fine. Yes, your body will expend some energy digesting the other ingredients in the soda, which lowers its net hydration benefit, but still someone drinking a Coke would be a lot better off than someone who was not drinking anything.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/carbonated-water-hydrating-still
https://controversialstand.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/hello-world/

eddy21

But that soda is sooooo good. We're programmed to quench our thirst by the soda companies that thats the way to handle our thirst. Multi million dollar + ad campaigns to keep us thinking that way works for them. Now the various water companies are catching on, pushing the flavored water and flavor enhancers to get us to drink more of their product. Water's the way to go... even when we have to add Mio into our water bottles to hide the taste of WDW's water.
Nothing like propylene glycol to quench a thirst.

BJones82

While I agree that drinking lots of plain 'ole water is a good idea, it's a myth that soda is either not hydrating or even dehydrating. The majority of soda is water. Your body absorbs that just fine. Yes, your body will expend some energy digesting the other ingredients in the soda, which lowers its net hydration benefit, but still someone drinking a Coke would be a lot better off than someone who was not drinking anything.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/carbonated-water-hydrating-still
https://controversialstand.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/hello-world/

Yes drinking soda is better than drinking nothing, but many sodas cause you to pee more frequently which causes them to not hydrate you as well... Also drinking your calories is always a horrible idea though diet soda you don't have this at least...

12_Ears_Dad

Original Poster
Home » Propylene glycol USP/EP » Food
Food
Taste, fun and convenience
Propylene glycol USP/EP (pharmaceutical grade) is the only grade appropriate for application in food due to its handling practices.

Propylene glycol USP/EP is the ideal carrier of a large variety of flavours that give most of today's food and beverage their distinctive taste. The substance itself is colour-, taste- and odourless, and it does not react on its own, which means that it can perform its function without impacting on other product attributes.

This product has been confirmed safe, and provides unique inherent properties with regard to holding/attracting both water- and oil-based substances. In food, it is used to retain food colour pigments and provide for homogeneous distribution within the mixture. Propylene glycol USP/EP is approved for use as a food additive under E-number E 1520 (with strict maximum limit of 1 g/kg in human foodstuffs). Direct food contact uses include:

• solvent and carrier for flavour and colour in food and beverage manufacturing processes, for drinks, biscuits, cakes, sweets
  • thickener, clarifier and stabilizer in food and beverage such as beer, salad dressings or baking mixtures

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Never heard of it. Mio? Isn't that an Italian actor or something?;)
It's a water flavour thing...like crystal lite.

MiO_water_enhancers_2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom