Announcement Signatures to be reset August 2 2013 9am EDT

Wikkler

I know, but I meant if they were options for us to choose.
Everything's an option. You can use them as it is...
thumbsup2.gif

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, I've not done a serious comment on this yet, so I'm going to get this out of my system...

Apologies to all in advance!

I don't have anything against other boards, or their signature requirements. I can say there are boards (one rather close to my heart, with mutual friends on this board) that are far more stringent than here both in content and signatures. Even with the coming rules.

Try having a character limit for your signature that won't even allow you to post at least one link, rather than a line limit.

There does come a point when under-regulation leads to disaster, but there is also a point where over-regulation leads to the same.

Each forum is their own community, and being that we are all Disney nuts in our own ways, there is a lot of cross pollination (to be expected), since the topic will draw like minded people. Overarching rules are established to maintain the overarching "aura" of the site, and to attract other like minded people, so they are not overwhelmed by content or presentation.

That bit of philosophy aside, I don't care about garish signatures (outside of poking fun at them) because in my browsing options there is (or at least there used to be) an option to turn them off. Then again, I've found that trip report links, etc, in people's signatures have led me to hours of reading pleasure and general enjoyment, which draws me further into the community as a n00b. There's a reason bouncing gifs at another site haven't made me a regular there vs here and other sites...who actually serve up meaningful content.

So...as a trade off, I don't pay much mind to the more garish ones if, for example, I have the opportunity to catch up on all of @sweetpee_1993 's past trip reports to the World and Cruises, etc, among others.

However, I'm not against the decision to limit signatures, nor am I for it. It's simply not a decision I have any input on.

This is a decision for moderators, made by moderators, for reasons they understand based on their far broader observation of the community as a whole, and what direction they wish to steer it in. I have moderated / opped enough online communities in my 20+ years on the "interwebz" that I get what it takes to help make a community thrive (and what can kill it), and what sacrifices moderators need to make. Many times, heck most of the time, it sucks to be a moderator / op.

In many cases (I can't speak for this forum, I haven't been around long enough), they are promoted from within the general regulars of the forum. And then the drama starts...and some stay, and some leave. The overarching reality is, once you are a moderator, you really can't participate anymore with the general community at the same level as you used to. You must be aloof. But, you have to watch all the fun discussions...and constantly bite your tongue...in MANY ways, moderating stinks! I don't envy them at all.

Anyhow, I sortof got off track...(go figure, it's me)

I will say that viewing certain forums where it's basically a free for all, it is a bit like looking at fireworks who had an illicit relationship with an LED billboard. But it's more than that...clunky interface and internal cliques that have been allowed to rampage the boards, etc, also impact that.

So, ramble over, but I had to get that out of my system.

As far as the updates to the app/forum, and the platform used... @wdwmagic , you are kicking butt and taking names...I love it!

Clamman73

See this is where I fail miserable :( What is this signature thing you talk about.:facepalm: Bear with me..I'am stuck in a different world where computer technology doesn't exist..Only last year I found out that an I-Phone wasn't for seeing with.:in pain:

Anything you see written below the blue dashed line in a post. Click on your username and you'll see "signature" ...that's where you type in what you want your signature to say. It shows up in every post until you change your signature.

The Mom

Premium Member
See this is where I fail miserable :( What is this signature thing you talk about.:facepalm: Bear with me..I'am stuck in a different world where computer technology doesn't exist..Only last year I found out that an I-Phone wasn't for seeing with.:in pain:

You don't have one at this time, so not even the blue dotted line is visible on your posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom