Signature Dining for Anniversary

ABQ

Of the three you mentioned (Jiko, Le Cellier, and California Grill), I'd only seriously consider Jiko. Le Cellier and Cali Grill can be absolute zoos, Le Cellier because it's in a theme park and Cali Grill because, for whatever reason, guests behave abysmally there. You'll have kids running around all over the place and grown men at dinner in basketball shorts. Highly recommend against Cali Grill for a romantic setting.

I'd consider Narcoossee's, Citricos, Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and The Boathouse. Jiko, which you already mentioned, would be my first choice.
Wow, you're spot on with everything here and your follow up about the Cali Grill. Ate there twice in the past 3 years and especially since the remodel a few years back, it's just become a loud and ok place to eat for way too much money. Narcoosee's and Citricos on the other hand offer the ambiance Cali lacks, in terms of restaurants around the Seven Sea's Lagoon. Jiko though...it's a whole other ball game of always exceptional.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
For signatures me and the hubby always eat at Cali Grill (never have had any of the issues mentioned but we do dine 9pm or later usually), Le Cellier, Jiko, Artist Point, and Hollywood Brown Derby most trips. There is only a few we have not tried yet Citricos and Monsieur Paul and hope to also try those soon. ;)

ekutchey

California Grill is a great choice...especially during the fireworks. We went here for our anniversary and they put us in the quite side room which was so nice and enjoyable. We could actually see the Epcot, HS and MK fireworks during our dinner.

My second choice would be Artist Point at WL and highly recommend the fresh donuts for dessert!!

PrincessL

Original Poster
California Grill is a great choice...especially during the fireworks. We went here for our anniversary and they put us in the quite side room which was so nice and enjoyable. We could actually see the Epcot, HS and MK fireworks during our dinner.

My second choice would be Artist Point at WL and highly recommend the fresh donuts for dessert!!
Thanks! Did you request a quiet table?

wplong1

Premium Member
I mainly lurk around here learning all I can from those with much more experience than myself, but we have just returned from an 8 night stay over Mardi Gras week, and might be able to add a bit to this.

We were fortunate enough to have dinner at Artist Point, California Grill, Monsieur Paul, Jiko, Narcoossee's, and Citricos during our stay (also had arrival night dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe which was surprisingly good but probably not pertinent to this discussion). Some thoughts:

California Grill is certainly not intimate, but the view and dining during the fireworks are amazing. This was by far our favorite restaurant from our last trip 2.5 years ago, and was my birthday dinner this year (I assume coincidentally, we were seated at the same table in the window on the MK end where we had my son's 6th birthday dinner 2.5 years ago which was neat....). I have to say, we were a bit underwhelmed this time around, particularly for the cost. The food was great but not OMG great although some of it may have been our server who was a touch too much. We will go back, but definitely were not as excited about it as before. If a celebratory dinner in a busy place with a high energy level works then it would be great. The view can't be beat.

Monsieur Paul was just incredible. It had probably been 15 years since we last ate there. The menu is somewhat short, but the food is exquisite and the service was just perfect. Only negative is going back to Epcot dressed in what we consider appropriate attire (no shorts and a sports coat or at least button down) so we did it for dinner after a day at another park, returned to villa, unwound, cleaned up, Ubered to the Boardwalk and walked in. Had a wonderful time and fantastic meal although it does not meet the stay on the monorail hotel loop criteria. Fantastic fine dining, negative (or positive depending), it is in a park. You can time dinner right and walk out to Illuminations of course.

Narcoossee's was the disappointment of this trip. Gorgeous restaurant, great location, very average food and service. This was our experience last trip as well. It was fine, but we will probably drop this one from our list next time.

Artist Point. My family all loved Artist Point. It is a little informal and may not really be a special occasion restaurant, but the food was great and it was fun to visit WL. My 9 year old son ate the charcuterie plate at every restaurant that offered one. He declared the one at Artist Point the best, and I cannot disagree. Very very good all around.

Citricos was overall the best meal of this trip for what I would consider true finer dining. The food was phenomenal, and overall it had the most professional service. It is well lit and not very intimate, but just about perfect in every other way. Easily came in first for food and service on this trip. Will definitely go back, and it is definitely appropriate for a special meal/occasion.

But I save the best overall experience for last, although again it may to be the perfect intimate special occasion restaurant for everyone. This was our first time at Jiko and we were all surprised that everyone had the most fun and best food with excellent staff at Jiko. The South African wine flights were very very (surprisingly) good. The food was honestly amazing. Jiko, barring something unexpected on the next visit, has found a permanent place on our dining list. Cannot recommend it highly enough. It came out of no where for us and blew everyone away.

Summary. Best fine dining of our recent trip, Citricos, followed closely by Monsieur Paul. Best overall experience and restaurant I would recommend first to anyone based on our recent visit, Jiko. Loved it.

Reading back over this it is about 4 times longer than I intended and a little schizophrenic, but hope it helps someone. Just my opinions of course. Any questions, let me know. Everyone on wdwmagic, whether they know it or not, has helped immensely with my research, planning and travel now for two WDW trips. I am indebted. Thanks so much. Nice to be able to get a little Disney fix here every day.

danyoung56

I have to say, we were a bit underwhelmed this time around, particularly for the cost. The food was great but not OMG great although some of it may have been our server who was a touch too much.

As big a fan as I am of the California Grill, I've had a couple meals there that weren't up to par. One had a very bad waitress who took FOREVER to bring anything, and at the other there was really bad weather, just about killing the view.

A great meal is a combination of so many things - atmosphere, view, service, food. If anything's off, it can make for a lousy experience.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
DH and I do enjoy a good steak:) Have you eaten at Le Cellier as well? I only ask because everyone raves about the cheese soup!

The steak is very good at LeCellier, but for an anniversary, the atmosphere is a bit lacking because, let's face it, theme park attire (not that there's anything wrong with that at a restaurant that happens to be in a theme park!) and also the noise. The low ceilings trap every glass clink and wail of children and send it right back down to the table!

If I wanted an anniversary steak, I'd go to Yachtsman Steakhouse.

I haven't really considered Artist Point I'll have too look at that more closely! Thanks!

Artist Point has a very nice atmosphere, quiet for the most part, with nice views (although there was no construction going on the last time I was there, so not sure the views are still the same). The servers there are excellent.

I'm also a big fan of Citricos for a monorail restaurant.

I agree with others and would pick Yachtsman over Le Cellier for a romantic meal. If you like the Jiko menu I personally think that is the most romantic restaurant of the three.

sheriffwoody

I see Artist Point has been mentioned a few times, and I'll add another recommendation for that location. It's wonderful!

We also really enjoyed Cali Grill for our anniversary and got placed in the quiet side room. Our server was amazing, and that is one of my absolute favorite experiences in my 8 trips to WDW. Food-wise, it isn't my favorite, but our experience there was top-notch.

PrincessL

Original Poster
I mainly lurk around here learning all I can from those with much more experience than myself, but we have just returned from an 8 night stay over Mardi Gras week, and might be able to add a bit to this.

We were fortunate enough to have dinner at Artist Point, California Grill, Monsieur Paul, Jiko, Narcoossee's, and Citricos during our stay (also had arrival night dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe which was surprisingly good but probably not pertinent to this discussion). Some thoughts:

California Grill is certainly not intimate, but the view and dining during the fireworks are amazing. This was by far our favorite restaurant from our last trip 2.5 years ago, and was my birthday dinner this year (I assume coincidentally, we were seated at the same table in the window on the MK end where we had my son's 6th birthday dinner 2.5 years ago which was neat....). I have to say, we were a bit underwhelmed this time around, particularly for the cost. The food was great but not OMG great although some of it may have been our server who was a touch too much. We will go back, but definitely were not as excited about it as before. If a celebratory dinner in a busy place with a high energy level works then it would be great. The view can't be beat.

Monsieur Paul was just incredible. It had probably been 15 years since we last ate there. The menu is somewhat short, but the food is exquisite and the service was just perfect. Only negative is going back to Epcot dressed in what we consider appropriate attire (no shorts and a sports coat or at least button down) so we did it for dinner after a day at another park, returned to villa, unwound, cleaned up, Ubered to the Boardwalk and walked in. Had a wonderful time and fantastic meal although it does not meet the stay on the monorail hotel loop criteria. Fantastic fine dining, negative (or positive depending), it is in a park. You can time dinner right and walk out to Illuminations of course.

Narcoossee's was the disappointment of this trip. Gorgeous restaurant, great location, very average food and service. This was our experience last trip as well. It was fine, but we will probably drop this one from our list next time.

Artist Point. My family all loved Artist Point. It is a little informal and may not really be a special occasion restaurant, but the food was great and it was fun to visit WL. My 9 year old son ate the charcuterie plate at every restaurant that offered one. He declared the one at Artist Point the best, and I cannot disagree. Very very good all around.

Citricos was overall the best meal of this trip for what I would consider true finer dining. The food was phenomenal, and overall it had the most professional service. It is well lit and not very intimate, but just about perfect in every other way. Easily came in first for food and service on this trip. Will definitely go back, and it is definitely appropriate for a special meal/occasion.

But I save the best overall experience for last, although again it may to be the perfect intimate special occasion restaurant for everyone. This was our first time at Jiko and we were all surprised that everyone had the most fun and best food with excellent staff at Jiko. The South African wine flights were very very (surprisingly) good. The food was honestly amazing. Jiko, barring something unexpected on the next visit, has found a permanent place on our dining list. Cannot recommend it highly enough. It came out of no where for us and blew everyone away.

Summary. Best fine dining of our recent trip, Citricos, followed closely by Monsieur Paul. Best overall experience and restaurant I would recommend first to anyone based on our recent visit, Jiko. Loved it.

Reading back over this it is about 4 times longer than I intended and a little schizophrenic, but hope it helps someone. Just my opinions of course. Any questions, let me know. Everyone on wdwmagic, whether they know it or not, has helped immensely with my research, planning and travel now for two WDW trips. I am indebted. Thanks so much. Nice to be able to get a little Disney fix here every day.
Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to reply! This was most helpful:) We will be going to Jiko for sure!

PrincessL

Original Poster
Today my ADR window opened. Yay!

I thought I had my decision made with Jiko and CG however, it appears the only day CG would have worked, MK is only open until 7pm:( I'm assuming those are MNSSHP nights and no fireworks are on the schedule. That wasn't the only reason I selected CG but was what put it above the others we were considering. On our last night Epcot has night EMH so we want to take advantage of that and is the reason we are looking to dine around Epcot or on the Monorail.

So...since everyone has pretty much talked me out of Le Cellier and DH says we can get a good steak at home;) that rules out Yatchman as well. I think we are going to try Monsiuer Paul's. What's more romantic than some French ambiance:inlove:

Thank you everyone for your input, it is truly appreciated!

PrincessL

Original Poster
They have fireworks on party nights, Hallowishes. It's better than Wishes in my opinion :D
So good to know!!! I was just about to change my 7:40pm CG reservation but saw that MP has a ton of availability so decided to hang on to CG for a bit to see if anything changed. Thanks so much:)

sheriffwoody

So good to know!!! I was just about to change my 7:40pm CG reservation but saw that MP has a ton of availability so decided to hang on to CG for a bit to see if anything changed. Thanks so much:)
You could probably find a video on youtube of Hallowishes. It's really upbeat and fun, which is why I like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom