Sigma 18-35 1.8.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
I`m finally planning another trip. We usually go every year but this year we built a new house and that depleted our finances so we couldn`t swing a trip. We are going back the second week in Dec. 2014. I`ve been thinking about my photographic experiences from the last trip and the changes I want to make for the next trip. The one thing I want is a better lens for dark rides. I have the 1.8 50mm but that was just to much zoom (using a Canon T3i body). I`ve been thinking that the Sigma 30 1.4 would do the trick. I`ve since run across the 18-35 1.8 Sigma. It`s twice the cost but gives you more options. Has anyone used this lens before?

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
I had the chance to play with one on a canon and I was blown away by how sharp it was. I am thinking of picking one up for myself.
Thanks. It`s quite a bit more $ but the focal range seems like a nice option. Have you ever used the 30mm 1.4? I`ve always heard that prime lenses are superior to zooms when it comes to sharpness.

NowInc

Thanks. It`s quite a bit more $ but the focal range seems like a nice option. Have you ever used the 30mm 1.4? I`ve always heard that prime lenses are superior to zooms when it comes to sharpness.

I havent. Normally that is true, but I would be hard pressed to tell the different between the sharpness of the sigma to a prime. It really is THAT good. You can youtube a few reviews and hear what people are saying about it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Watch out for third party lens - they can be a mixed bag. In the past I've had AF issues, which seems common if you look into it. Ever since then I have stuck to the rule of only buying lens from the body manufacturer.

gsrjedi

I normally agree that it can be worth it to get a first party lens most of the time if you can afford it. I have no proof to base this on, but it seems to me that Sigma at least in their newer lenses have been improved in the quality control department.

ddbowdoin

The jury isn't out on sigma in terms of QC issues. There's enough out there on the net to scare a consumer away from a "first ever" in their camp.

stuart

All my lenses are Sigma (10-20, 17-50 2.8, 18-250, 70-200 2.8, 150-500, 2.0x adaptor), and have been more than happy with the quality and performance of them.

Partly came from getting 18-200 with my first DSLR back in '09 and have added to them since then, read reviews, and couldnt afford the Nikon lenses at twice the price. Certainly when its come to relying on the lens, never been let down. The 18-35 is tempting, but also like the look of the 24-105 f4 but there is talk that they may be bringing out larger primes at some point this year, and the chance to get a 400 f4 is tempting. The good thing about some of the official lenses is the water and dust proofing that likes of Sigma, Tamron etc dont always have

Minnie_girl

I had the chance to play with one on a canon and I was blown away by how sharp it was. I am thinking of picking one up for myself.
75.gif

Me too....I borrowed a friends and I really liked using it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The underlying issue is that all the third party manufacturers who make things for Canon and Nikon have to reverse engineer the protocols to communicate with the bodies for AF and other controls. Errors creep in during this process meaning they will never be as good as the original manufacturers devices. The third party guys simply don't have access to the information they need. I believe only Sony make available their control interface API.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
What`s the success rate of the USB docking device I`ve seen in the event of AF issues? Has anyone used this before.

SRisonS

I currently have the Sigma 30mm; but am currently trying to raise some funds to replace it with the 18-35.

30 mm isn't a bad range on the Rebel (I have the t4i). Sure, sometimes you'll have to get creative with your shots in the park; but it's nice to use. The main issue with mine is the back/front focusing issue. I've even sent it to Sigma for repair, but it's still occurring. When it hits focus, it's a thing of beauty!!! But when you're at 1.4/1.8, that little miss can be a pain.

Not all copies of the lens are like that (mine is probably pretty old... I'm like the 3rd owner of it); but there are quite a few complaints about that problem.

ddbowdoin

I currently have the Sigma 30mm; but am currently trying to raise some funds to replace it with the 18-35.

30 mm isn't a bad range on the Rebel (I have the t4i). Sure, sometimes you'll have to get creative with your shots in the park; but it's nice to use. The main issue with mine is the back/front focusing issue. I've even sent it to Sigma for repair, but it's still occurring. When it hits focus, it's a thing of beauty!!! But when you're at 1.4/1.8, that little miss can be a pain.

Not all copies of the lens are like that (mine is probably pretty old... I'm like the 3rd owner of it); but there are quite a few complaints about that problem.

that's the problem with these 3rd party manufacturers. QC issues happen everywhere but I've read enough stories about the Sigma / Tamron camp to make me double guess a lens.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
After quite a bit of soul searching and considering pros and cons I`m probably going to look into renting one or the other. I`m quite happy with my current lens choices for my everyday needs. I keep the Tamron 17-50 on my camera, a Tokina 11-16, Canon 50mm and a kit 75-300 in my bag. I just want the 30mm or the 18-35 for Disney dark rides so I`m having a hard time justifying the purchase. I need to upgrade my telephoto though so I might do that instead.

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Well I changed my mind again and decided to go with the 18-35 after all. I`m ready to order it and now it`s on back-order. I want to go ahead and get on the list but I don`t know whether to do it on Amazon or B@H. Do ya`ll think there`s any difference?

NowInc

Well I changed my mind again and decided to go with the 18-35 after all. I`m ready to order it and now it`s on back-order. I want to go ahead and get on the list but I don`t know whether to do it on Amazon or B@H. Do ya`ll think there`s any difference?

Depending on where you live, you may be able to dodge taxes on amazon :)

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
OK well I just got the Sigma 18-35 and mounted it on my new 70D. Wow what a beast! I`ve had the 70D for about a week and I am very excited about it so far. I`ll go out and take some pics tomorrow with the combo and see how it goes. I also got LR5 with the lens. I ended up saving over a hundred bucks by getting it from B@H instead of Amazon. I also got a better deal (bundle wise) on the 70D from B@H than Amazon was offering. I`m becoming a fan of B@H for sure. What`s not to like about good service and good prices?

NowInc

OK well I just got the Sigma 18-35 and mounted it on my new 70D. Wow what a beast! I`ve had the 70D for about a week and I am very excited about it so far. I`ll go out and take some pics tomorrow with the combo and see how it goes. I also got LR5 with the lens. I ended up saving over a hundred bucks by getting it from B@H instead of Amazon. I also got a better deal (bundle wise) on the 70D from B@H than Amazon was offering. I`m becoming a fan of B@H for sure. What`s not to like about good service and good prices?

For future reference... amazon will price match :) At the bottom of the product page there is a link to submit the lower price you found...or you can call... and once its confirmed by them they will adjust accordingly

fractal

Alright! Let's see some pics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom